Woody's Wheat - Sand Creek Brewing Company

Sand Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: maxpower on 06-07-2005)

2.13/5  rDev -35.6%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was cloudy like a wheat beer should be. The color was like pee and the beer had absolutely no head. The beer had no lacing either. The smell of the beer was like pee and the taste an unpleasant sour. I will not buy again.

2.18/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours clear and filtered with little or no head. Woody's Wheat tastes as most American style wheat ales; light and spritzy. No malt, no hops. No Banana, no cloves; it's empty. Sipping it leaves a very dry mouth-feel, similar to a cider. Calling it a hefeweizen is an insult to Bavaria. Disappointing--concerning Woody's is brewed in Black River Falls, WI.

2.5/5  rDev -24.5%

2.5/5  rDev -24.5%

2.65/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow body with a thin white head.

Smell: Banana, cloves, and lemon in an altogether weak, musty aroma.

Taste: Stale soda crackers with just a scant bit of banana ester and a tiny dash of clove on the light, minerally finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Pretty tame and umimpressive. A hefe-lite, if you will.

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%

2.78/5  rDev -16%

Well, it had a head on the golden liquid I poured, but a few minutes later--it's gone. So sad. I picked this up in a mixed six and have to admit, I'm glad I decided to drink one--not sure if it's worth hauling back to Seattle with me. Not bad...just, unspectacular. Gorgeous golden color, not cloudy at all, it's a wheat, not a hefe. Smells bready, tastes malty. Just a not-really-notable beer. I wouldn't buy it again, but I'd drink it if I went somewhere and it was available at no (or little) charge. A little too carbonated, very sweet, not a remarkable taste.

2.8/5  rDev -15.4%

Originally reviewed September 17, 2005. Bottle sampled at the Big Lake Brewfest. Beef aroma, seriously. Hazy orange, with a foamy head. Tasty, like fresh raw cattle. I know this sounds extremely peculiar, but there are certain notes of that grassy raw beef blood, however inappropriate it may be. Finish is tart, with some Granny Smith apples.

2.85/5  rDev -13.9%

Woody's Wheat is an golden ale that pours with a decent amount of carbonation briefly creating a loose pillar of foam that falls flat quite quickly. I make an extra effort to get the yeast out of the bottle, and the beer in my glass gets very cloudy -- almost turning the color of the beer from gold to amber. The aroma is pretty neutral, nothing really stands out, except maybe a bit malt and orange and maybe nutmeg. The flavor is crisp and "wheaty" with some caramel malt and a hint of tannin.The mouthfeel is prickly with carbonation which emphasizes the dry finish. I'm not impressed with this one. It's pretty drinkable stuff, but the mouthfeel seems too thin and watery.There are much better wheats out there that I would drink again before having another Woody's Wheat.

2.85/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

looks nice out of the bottle. A bit lite on the lace. Needs some carbonation. The lable is date less, so I have no idea how old it is.

Smells much like over ripe bananas and allspice. I usually like wheat beers but this one falls a bit short. It's sharp on my palet. Dull flavors, dusty. Lingers with a light sour twang that I found enjoyable but un-balanced.

I like the style, but I think this bottle was too old.
Nice sedament on the bottom.

I would definately try the other styles available from the brewery.
I think this was much better when it came off the line.

A hot summer day and a jucy medium-medium rare hamburger pares well with this one.

2.85/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured into a pint glass this beer was golden colored with almost zero head, but noticeable carbonation bubbles rising continuously from the bottom of the glass. The smell is very heavy in the malt spectrum, not really what I was expecting in a wheat brew. There was more of a clear color and not much of a sweet or spicy nose like most wheat brews I have come across. The taste was that close to a lager. There was a slight hop bitter after taste. Not sure what I think about this brew. It isn't bad, but I don't know if it fits the category?

2.95/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Wow, where the head go on this beer? I poured this into a bottle, blinked twice and the head was gone. Now I am left with a brown hazy beer with no head. To me, it looks like apple cider as there was not even a lace.

S - There is very faint cloves, cinnamon and coriander smells. These are extremely faint though.

T - Again, like a typical hefe, except the flavor is rather faint. The banana, coriander and other components are there but they are very faint.

M - The faint flavors hit your mouth initially but then the beer is somewhat watered down. Its not as full flavored as other hefe's.

D - This beer is easy to drink but is a pretty suspect hefe. There are many others in the state that top this one.

Pours a cloudy yellow with no yeast floating around. A fluffy white head that laced quite well for being poured into a pint glass. Smelled of bananas, wheat, and spices.

Taste is very bland witha a lot of carbonation. Almost as if the message they were trying to get across is we like head. Hey, who doesn't, but they need to experiment with how to rpoduce it without leaving you like you just swallowed too much Coke and it now burns your tongue.

I picked up a sixer of this and need to finish by Thursday (today is Tuesday) and I am thinking I may be unfortunately trying to smuggle into my suitcase to get it home.

A - Poured a hazy golden color with a white head that fades quickly to a ring

S - Is of spied wheat malt

T - Unexciting its close to what a hefe should be but its lacking theres clove flavor but thats where it ends

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - This isn't a bad beer just not an exciting hefe to me its refreshing with and average taste for an American version of a hefe though

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

Beer #3 from my FSRI care package. Served in my MH Circus Boy weizen glass. Poured a hazy, semi-translucent honey-gold with audible effervescence and copious tiny bubbles that adhered to the sides of the glass and percolated to the cap. Three quarter inch off-white head dissipated within seconds; zero lacing present during the session. Nose was somewhat skunky out of the bottle; however, in the glass I picked up lots of bubblegum and banana. Flavor was primarily wheat, grain and biscuity. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and very lively and a bit watery. Fair drinkability, but closer to a slightly flavored macro than a hefeweizen.

3.05/5  rDev -7.9%

A - hazy yellow with a pretty small head

S - smells of wheat and a little bit of lemon

T - taste follows the nose. Tastes of wheat and a hint of lemon and a tad bit of bubblegum. True to the style.

MF - smooth, full, and well-carbonated

D - this was an okay wheat beer. Pretty simple taste, kept to the wheat / yeast taste and didn't deviate from it. Easy to drink but not the most interesting beer, which works for this beer.

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Cloudy amber with a small finger of white head, this one lacks retention, but does show some nice lacing as I work my way through the pint. Not a bad looking beer my any means, but IMO a hefe should have a big prodigious head.

S - Mild citrus fruit, some mild donuts, and a good whiff of banana tinged donut. This is definitely "to style" and it does the hefe thing well. Notes of banana baby food and gazed donuts make this a good example of the style. This smells good!

T - Big dough flavors remind me of donuts, fresh bread, and the yeasty layer left at the bottom of the finest hefes by those who don't know how to swirl the good stuff into the mix. This one is on the banana/yeast end of the hefe spectrum, and that's how I like them!

M - Medium bodied with no shortage of carbonation, this one is neutral on the finish with a big time yeasty aftertaste.

D - A good representation of the style. This is tasty and highly representative of this German style. Definitely a good brew to session in the higher altitudes of this North American continent.

3.18/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle pours a cloudy,dull dark yellow color with a small white head that quickly disappears, not much lacing either. Sweet clove and banana aromas, vanilla, lemon and banana flavors. Light to medium bodied with a soft mouthfeel, somewhat refreshing.

Woody's Wheat from Sand Creek Brewing Company