Wild Ride IPA - Sand Creek Brewing Company

Wild Ride IPAWild Ride IPA

good

Sand Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: Skidz on 09-30-2005)
4.85/5  rDev +31.4%

A sample bottle, apparently wasn't going to be released in bottles this year, but a few unlabeled, but marked on the cap, bottles made it around.

Pours out a dim golden amber and sits bright reddish-amber in the glass with a massive frothy white head. Fades slowly to a rather thick dallop of head on top, lacings coat the glass beyond recognition. Presentation is everything.

Mouthwatering aromatics drenched in piney soot and juicing oranges and grapefruit. Lathered in caramel, spattered with apple skins. It's rather difficult to get a nose in here with the sizable head, but it is enjoyable nonetheless. Here to the taste...

Mildly sweet up front, orange and grapefruit come to greet on impact. Pine is also quick to step in along with our dear friend caramel. Toasty nuttiness with bits of toffee. Citrus rinds squeeze out every oil held within, coating the mouth from...tongue to roof, tooth to throat and all the way on down. Vibrant has a new definition. Finish is well-bittered and continues to push out the fruitiness long after swallowing.

Smooth, soft and inviting in the mouth. Medium-(light) body boasts fine carbonation. Maybe lacking just a bit of body, but oh so close to perfection as well.

I cannot believe what has happened here. I do not know why this wasn't released, maybe they're working on perfection or something, because this is damn close to it. I don't have to spell it out for you, this is an easy to read, delicious, satisfying, and a put-it-in-the-books good IPA. Easily on par with Founders, Stone, Victory, Great Divide, Great Dane and Mash House's offerings (if not better), which I'd consider to be some of the best. You see what I'm getting at? Hope this hits the shelves next summer.

Skidz, Sep 30, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

This brew pours a hazy orange-red color. The head is mammoth, fluffy, and creamy white. Lacing lasts until longer than the beer itself, and sticks thoroughly to the sides of the glass. The aroma is a nice combination of pine and citrus,m but is a little faint. The taste is like the aroma times ten. Citrus and pine are everywhere in this beer, and the aftertaste has a nice lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is rather smooth for an IPA, and the carbonation is perfect. Overall, this is one of the better IPAs I have had. I would put it up there with Town Hall's Masala Mama or Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I will certainly buy this again, and again, and again.

KarlHungus, Aug 02, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +26%

Cloudy brown body with orange trim with a thin finger of white head atop, despite an aggressive pour. Yet the lacing on the Yanks pint glass is dense. The color is beautiful. Great aroma, flush with citrus hops--lots of grapefruit and orange peel, but some roasted malt as well. I'd like to get more malt for the balance, but this is already impressing me.

How delicious is this?!? Great flavor and terrific balance between fruit and spice. Hops a'plenty no doubt, but hints of pepper emerge, as well as some chocolate malt as it warms. Mouthfeel seals the deal with Wild Ride, ironically because as good and bold as this is, it's really quite smooth. There is great and fine balance between rich, rough hop texture and smooth, creamy malt-infused body, with each emerging in alternating sips. really one of the best IPAs I've tried in some time.

When I grabbed this today at the Savoy Friar Tuck, I didn't expect this to be so damn good. I hoped it would be, as I do with all beers but especially the IPAs, Belgians, Barleywines, and a couple other particular favorite styles. This did not disappoint. Tremendous find, and one I'll look for regularly. Part Wild Ride, part smooth landing, this is a gem from Sand Creek.

Outstanding.

Gehrig, Jul 06, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sunset golden orange chock full of fine particulates; just the kind of junked up IPA look that I love. The head is the color of oyster shells (with a pale yellow tint) and is so finely bubbled that it looks like a flat-topped sand dune as it falls. The quantity and the stickiness of the lace lead me to think that the hop load will be on the high side.

The nose is fantastic! I just got off the phone with the head brewer and he informed me that this beer is only about two months old right now. And it smells like it! Explosive scents of juicy white grapefruit, orange, lemon and candied pineapple are exiting the glass. I just know that I'm gonna love this one.

Wow. My twelve ounce interactions with Sand Creek's APA and Golden Ale did not prepare me for the magnificence that is Wild Ride. I feel pretty safe in saying that this is the most hoppy, most delicious IPA that no one has ever heard of (outside of a few Wisconsin BAs, that is). Tyranena's Bitter Woman has some serious competition in the Badger State.

The secret--other than the skill of the brewers--is in the hop bill. The very best aspects of the tremendous trio of Cascade, Chinook and Centennial are on display and saturate each and every taste bud with each and every mouthful. This is a tongue destroyer par excellence, but there's enough sweet pale malt underneath all the hop resinousness to take the rough edges off and make me think that I could drain more than a couple of these in rapid succession.

I simply have no choice but to bump the appearance score. My glass is absolutely caked with crusty lace which, along with the cluttered look of the beer, puts Wild Ride in select company. It's amazing to me as I approach the final few ounces how effortlessly drinkable this beer is. I really wish that it came in bombers rather than this woefully inadequate twelve ounce bottle.

The body/mouthfeel is fully onboard and ready to rock 'n roll. I'll credit what must be a substantial quantity of pale malt (no intrusive caramel flavors here) for the thoroughly enjoyable 'IPA medium' body that displays no shortage of lightly silky lushness. I've had bigger and I've had better, but I wouldn't change a thing about this one.

Wild Ride IPA may turn out to be the best beer that I brought back from Wisconsin. I know one thing... I'll be sure to pick up much, much more of it the next time I have the chance. It looks like I won't have to travel all the way to Madison to have that chance since my brewery contact said that it's going to be in Iowa City soon. Lucky me.

[The Jan 04 on the label is actually meant to be a 'best by' date and is supposed to read Jan 07. The brewery's new stamps hadn't yet been delivered so they were unable to stamp it correctly. As noted above, beer stamped Jan 04 was brewed in May of this year].

BuckeyeNation, Jul 20, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

Wow. This is a beer that confounds me. Not like any I recall. Appearance is incredible. Clouded with yeast, amazing head, Super sticky lacing. Just beautiful.   Nice aroma with a spicy note. Butte flavor is bitter followed by bitter...  But it's good. Really good. It finishes dry and lacks the citrus I normally relate to an IPA but still intrigues me. Not sure I could down a lot in a siting, but I like the one sample I got. I can't say all would like this, but really do.

scottwestphall, Mar 05, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +23.3%

Calm pouring yields a HUGE head. Gorgeous rocky fluffy head that holds really well. Loads of thick webby lacing down the glass. Hazy golden liquid that begs to be drank.

WONDERFUL nose. Delectable grapefruit hops in the nose balanced out by some pale malt.

After getting a whiff of the beer, I can't wait to dive in head first. Very sweet grapefruit lemony hops. Huge malt backbone that nicely balances out all of the delicious Centennial and Cascade hops.

Thanks to jj21 for sending this one... everyone else can feel free to send me more of this one as I absolutely love it.

timtheenchanta, Sep 03, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

Misty medium golden hay. Firm finger high off-white foam grows up vastly to the top as its poured. Keeps a thin skim present and the lacing is in a thinny placed sheeting staying close to home nearer the edge of the liquid.

Aroma is clean and hoppy with a nice oily, lemon, grapefruit, orangey blow of aromatic hoppyness. Nice fresh floral ascents within its fruity strength. A decent whiffer.

Taste is solid, firm, and lenghty. Slimming sourness of tropical fruityness ensues across the palate with a delightful surge of a wonderfully played sense of paled orange, lemon, and grapefruit. The citrusy realm of this is quite nice. Mild, yet intense in length with a nicely balanced play of malty, background sweetness and pithy-like bitterness. Very well rounded in flavor, tone, and body. Simple, but somehow intriguingly powerful with its longevity and upfront hoppyness. Mind you, this isn't a bittering hoppyness. More about the flavor then the bite, and its nice.

Feel is about a medium body; smooth, clean, wet, slippery, and well-rounded, with a certain crispened tang of sweetness to go with the hoppy, mild citric toned bite.

A humungously easy drinkin' IPA from the cheesiest of cheese states; Wisconsin. Bold, calming, and well crafted. A true treat of the Midwest IPA nature.

tavernjef, Jul 21, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +22%

I’ve been meaning to review this for nearly a year. Many thanks to Murrayswine for the reminder that got me off my duff to finally do it.

This beer is my staple at The Old Fashioned, a Madison restaurant that serves only products made in Wisconsin and has a beer list of over 40 beers made in this state. They sell this stuff for only 3 bucks a bottle. It’s a steal.

The hop load in Wild Ride is…well Wild. This can hardly be called an IPA. The hop level and bitterness are quite clearly that of a double IPA. The color is orange, some might call it copper or straw gold, but I’m sticking with the small box of Crayola and calling it orange. The head shrinks quick but leaves some nice lacing. The nose is like walking through the High Sierra a year or two after a forest fire when the sap from semi-burnt Bristlecone Pine is just seeping. Add to that a bushel of grapefruits and some nectarines and you got yourself one hell of a well hopped brew.

Taste is this toasty squash blend of citrus, again mainly grapefruit, and biscuit/toffee malts. The mouthfeel is slightly creamy with a ridiculously hoppy finish. In the front one can almost taste some dry roasted nuts too but those are really covered up by an unbalanced amount of hops. Bitter, wild, and fricking awesome.

This is in league with the ten best IPAs in the states and can hold its own with many of the doubles. At less than $6 a sixer in some places, namely Baraboo’s Pic and Save, one really can’t beat this stuff.

DaPeculierDane, May 13, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Russian River Damnation Tulip.

Wild Ride pours orangish and non transparent with not much of a head, despite an agressive pour. As a side note, this is my second WR I have sample and I noticed it on the first one too. There is a nice amount of lacing though. Its smell of citrisy hops with a sugary sweetness peaking through, just to let you know that there is a malt profile lurking beneath. Taste is good. Oily hoppiness up front, but it also has a very nice balance - provided by a roasted barley backbone. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, but still very smooth. As noted before in the appearance, this beer could use a little more carbonation. Drinkablity is outstanding. This is a very good IPA that I'll probably not see again for a long, long time due the location differential.

SethB2, Jun 09, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a hazy deep orange body with a thin soapy head of off-white and a rapid carbonation of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom.

S- The perfumy juicy hop aroma has notes of citrus, green earthy hops and a note of catnip in the background. The slight sweet toasted malt aroma starts to come through as the beer warms and my nose goes numb from the hops.

T- The taste of pale malt with a light sweetness gives way to big juicy bitter hops with flavors of grapefruit, pine and some earthiness. It has good complexity and freshness in the taste that is wonderful.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-light with a chalkiness in the finish that is kind of nice.

D- This is a hop monster that hangs on the breath even after I exhale. There is a nice complexity in the hops and some good support from the malt. I prefer this beer over a lot of the big name West Coast hop monsters.

rhoadsrage, Sep 21, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison.

Pours a deep golden amber with a finger or two of white creamy head that laces nicely throughout the pint. Wild Ride indeed, this baby has a juicy nose full of grapefruit, floral hops and earthy/grassy malt. Taste has a nice balance between the quite bitter grapefruit/floral hops and sweeter, earthy caramel-vanilla malts. Mouthfeel is medium, and the carbonation could be a little higher. A surprisingly tasty IPA from Sand Creek. Certainly sessionable and quite refreshing with its hop bouquet. Solid all around.

Golden2wenty1, Jun 10, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance -- Pours a light honey amber color with a white 1.5 finger head. Head is very airy and light. Thick, sticky lacing clings to the sides of my pint glass.

Smell -- Citrus and oily hops

Taste -- Very nice bitterness. Tastes very fresh . . . hop flavor is still strong like I like it. Light touch of malty sweetness in the finish.

Mouthfeel -- Medium with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability -- I like this beer a lot. Very good example of the style. I'd have to say this is one of the top two American IPAs to come out of Wisconsin. Highly recommended.

ClearDog, May 22, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

I was kind of surprised by how good this beer was. First of all, it's a little brewery I'd heard nothing about; second, it is in one of the cheapest price points for micro beers; and third, it just looks second rate based on the packaging. Don't judge this book by its cover, however, since it is a great medium between Alpha King and Two Hearted (two of my favorite IPAs) and a few dollars cheaper than both to boot!

The beer pours to a nice pale golden color with only the slightest hint of an amber hue. Just the slightest bit of a chill haze going on. Has the perfect head that initially pours to an inch and stays at a couple centimeters for the duration of the drink. Nice shimmering carbonation and excellent fluffy lacing in strata. If only it were a little less hazy it would be exactly what I look for when I judge an IPA's appearance.

The smell is very good as well. Has a nice orange rind and grapefruit dry hopped aroma with only a light backbone of pale malt breaking through. Quite floral as well, with a hint of pine resin.

The taste is just as I would expect from the nose. As I said before, it seems like the perfect middle ground between the huge citric bitterness of Alpha King and the doughy malt backbone and well-balanced centennial floral hops of the Two Hearted. Sweet bready malt flavors up front with a great citric, pine resinous, and floral hops bitterness that lingers well into the finish.

The body is just about right for an IPA as well. The sharp carbonation really accentuates the hops. Just as much as an alcohol burn as you would expect for an IPA at roughly 6%. Very drinkable, and the price is right as well. Highly recommended. If you've seen it at the store but didn't buy it for the same reasons I mentioned in my intro paragraph, give it a shot. Admittedly, I probably would have never tried this gem if I wasn't offered a sample at the store I work at.

neonbrown82, Mar 08, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Just got 5 cases of this in. Comped myself a bottle for me and Battlekow.

Pours a straw-gold color. Decent head and sturdy lace.

Smell is Hops, Hops, citrus, Hops, and Hops. The malt sense is only in theory and possible speculation in this beer.

Taste is unruly, almost unhealthy hops. Shit this is hoppy for a basic IPA. The front is dry hop, and the finish is slightly green hop, but hop hell none the less.
It's not for the weak bodied IPA drinkers. Battlekow said it "Harshed his Mellow"

murrayswine, May 10, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark orange, cloudy color. Off-white head that's nice and fluffy.

S - Nice big pine hop aroma. Maybe a hint of malt in there, but this thing is hop-loaded.

T - Nice big hop flavor without overwhelming bitterness. Citrusey and piney flavor, as well as some malt coming through here.

M - Medium body, clean and refreshing, carbonation is lively.

D - I won't ever see this beer again, I'm sure, but if I did, I would buy it. One of the better IPA's I've had.

BlackAngus, Dec 13, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a orangish amber into a pint, almost a perfect looking IPA.

Smells of bitter hope, pine and a little citrus.

The taste is a big grapefruit bite with a pine and malt backbone. After it goes down you are left with a huge bitter aftertaste. Unbelievable flavor.

Mouthfeel is a smooth and what you would expect for the style.

Overall this is one to seek out. I can not believe I lived in Wisconsin all this time and have not had it untill now. This will be my go to IPA from now on and at 6.99 a 6 it should be everyone in Wisconsins.

If like me you do not believe an IPA has to be balanced and malty then this is the great bitter bomb with still nice malt back bone you are looking for.

Reminds me of Dark Horse Crooked Tree on Steroids.

nickapalooza86, Jan 06, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a lovely golden color that leaves a thick, rocky head and wonderful lacing on the glass. Smells incredibly good. I can tell this one is perfectly balanced before I even taste it. I was right. What gorgeous balance between the hops (the 4 C's of American hops) and pale malts. The tag on the shelf said it also contained 6 different malts. I was sold! Great carbonation, medium bodied, good mouthfeel and is incredibly easy to drink. The ABV is relatively low, so this would make the ultimate IPA session beer. Nice work by a good WI company.

KeefD, Jun 01, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

12oz single, $1.39, Steve's University

appearance: pours a clear dark orange-copper, 1/3" fluffy head, decent lacing left throughout

smell: huge floral hop aroma, flowery, pungent grapefruit, orange, pulpy, pine, juicy and wonderful smelling

taste: a hop explosion...I definitely did not get the full effect on draft so I had to review it again...pulpy grapefruit, orange, strong pine, nice bitterness, light bubblegum...a Great ipa

mouthfeel: lots of bitterness, medium body

drinkability: pretty high

dirtylou, May 26, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer came in totally under the radar. I had not heard of it but am always open to trying new IPAs.

Poured from the bottle slightly hazy burnt orange with an off-white head and not much lacing to speak of.

Citrusy hops and a sweet caramel malt aroma dominate.

Nice malt presence to it with of course the grapefruit from the hops.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

This beer is a damn fine IPA and one to definitely have again. Well done, Sand Creek.

Monkeyknife, Jun 15, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured a hazy medium copper hue with a finger and a half creamy dense white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a strong oily hop with a lush juicy orange aroma. Nice biscuity malt aroma as well.

The taste was upfront spicy hop, with highlights of grapefruit and sweet orange and a long lingering white pepper. Light doughy finish.

The mouthfeel was of medium fullness with a spice tingle and dry finish. Lingering peppery hop.

Overall a multi-tiered hop experience. A very spirited AIPA and excellent example of the style.

plaid75, Apr 12, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured In: Pint Glass
Purchased From: The Coffee Grounds (Eau Claire, WI)

My first Sand Creek, and it's a winner.

Appearance: Pours an amber orange color. Thick head with a long retention, and lots of lacing covering the glass from head to toe (not sure that I've seen this much lacing before actually). Sediment floating from top to bottom, but I don't really care that much. I just hope that they are hop chunks! (:

Smell: I actually don't get a very strong hop aroma from this. Smells mostly bready, with a hint of citrus hops.

Taste: A very nice hop character in this. Getting mostly citrusy flavors out of this. A nice blend of grapefruit and orange peel. Bitter aftertaste, but it's quite nice.

Mouthfeel: A nice crisp carbonation, seems just right.

Drinkability: This is a great Wisconsin IPA and I'd definitely pick this up again. This one beats out the New Glarus IPA.

Ek0nomik, May 04, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- A huge thick billowy head fills the remainder of my pint glass upon pouring, but slowly recedes leaving a fluffy cloud of head on top of the orange/amber body. There is some noticeable sediment in the beer, which I like to see.

S- What a great balance on the nose. I definitely detect some nice maltiness that is almost a caramel, but it is so delicately balance out by the hops. The hopiness is piney yet nice and fruity with grapefruit, and a bit of pear.

T- Nice hopiness, although a touch thin in the beginning, gives way to some notes of pine, grapefruit, a slight pear, and then finishes with a dryness of pine. A really nice balance here, and a bit more sessionable than other IPAS.

M- Mouthfeel was hit right on with on a slight tingling on the tongue that is far from cloying.

D- This is a good IPA, but doesn't beat out my stand by, Surly Furious. If you have a bottle available to purchase, I would recommend giving this one a shot.

Greggy, Jun 01, 2008
4.26/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours copper with a creamy head that leaves some lacing.

The smell is of citric fruits - especially grapefruit - with herbal notes. Robust hop aroma.

The taste is of citric fruits and herbal notes, balanced by a touch of caramel. It has a bitter, dry finish. Hops linger through aftertaste.

It has a chewy, smooth body.

This is a hop delight! Just enough malt to give it a backbone, the hops truly shine here! A very well-made American IPA!

jwc215, Jan 22, 2014