Wild Ride IPA - Sand Creek Brewing Company

Wild Ride IPAWild Ride IPA

good

Sand Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: Skidz on 09-30-2005)
4.33/5  rDev +17%

This beer came in totally under the radar. I had not heard of it but am always open to trying new IPAs.

Poured from the bottle slightly hazy burnt orange with an off-white head and not much lacing to speak of.

Citrusy hops and a sweet caramel malt aroma dominate.

Nice malt presence to it with of course the grapefruit from the hops.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

This beer is a damn fine IPA and one to definitely have again. Well done, Sand Creek.

Monkeyknife, Jun 15, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Dare I say it’s a session IPA? I’m always searching for a more perfect IPA and damn this one is good in so many ways. For starters, there’s great head and lacing. The flavor is a rich mix of orange peel, grapefruit, and lemon zest with a hint of grains in the background. The hops are just right while so many IPA’s are either lacking, or have too much (yes, it’s possible and it ruins subtle hops flavors). The bitterness is good, but might leave some beer geek wanting more, but it makes it all the more drinkable. The aroma does have a slight plastic off-scent, but everything is so good, you wont notice. Find this beer.

tempest, May 22, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz. bottle poured a dark gold color with some bits of stuff floating around and a large white head that leaves some spots sticky lace.

Smell - lots of citrusy hops.
Taste - a somewhat dry bitter grapefruit at first that gets washed away fairly quickly with a wet watery finish.
Feel - light with a slight stickiness to it.
Drinkability - an easy to drink IPA with a light feel but full of hop flavor and would make a nice sessionable brew.

Alkey, Apr 16, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a hazy amber/orange color with a light tan head, a bit of lacing and good retention.

Smell has a light green juniper hop odor.

Taste is completely dominated by the nice pine hops with a bit of mintyness. There are some light toasted malt flavors there, but is overpowered.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonated with a touch of hop oilyness.

Overall a pretty standard IPA, good but nothing great.

bashiba, Apr 14, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured a hazy medium copper hue with a finger and a half creamy dense white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a strong oily hop with a lush juicy orange aroma. Nice biscuity malt aroma as well.

The taste was upfront spicy hop, with highlights of grapefruit and sweet orange and a long lingering white pepper. Light doughy finish.

The mouthfeel was of medium fullness with a spice tingle and dry finish. Lingering peppery hop.

Overall a multi-tiered hop experience. A very spirited AIPA and excellent example of the style.

plaid75, Apr 12, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to jpm30 for the chance to try this one. I've noticed that this beer has had very mixed reviews, and understandably so. When poured it looks very promising, a light golden orange with an immaculate head. Small amount of sediment resting atop the fluffy off-white mountain that remained a little less than half an inch thick throughout. Definitely a damn good looking beer. Good smell of fresh, piney hops with little malty sweetness backing it up. The nose makes me believe this is one for the hop heads. Quite average in taste, however. Somewhat dry from the amount of hops used with a piney bitterness that wouldn't be helped by anything else. If you are into this style strictly for hoppy goodness, this is one for you. I couldn't find the balance that I enjoy in others, though. Tingly, prickly mouthfeel which I actually liked. While this one looked a little better than it performed in my opinion the drinkability was good. Not too heavy and very different compared to others I've tried. I had never heard of this brewery or beer before and am glad to have tried it.

ncvbc, Apr 07, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +19.7%

I was kind of surprised by how good this beer was. First of all, it's a little brewery I'd heard nothing about; second, it is in one of the cheapest price points for micro beers; and third, it just looks second rate based on the packaging. Don't judge this book by its cover, however, since it is a great medium between Alpha King and Two Hearted (two of my favorite IPAs) and a few dollars cheaper than both to boot!

The beer pours to a nice pale golden color with only the slightest hint of an amber hue. Just the slightest bit of a chill haze going on. Has the perfect head that initially pours to an inch and stays at a couple centimeters for the duration of the drink. Nice shimmering carbonation and excellent fluffy lacing in strata. If only it were a little less hazy it would be exactly what I look for when I judge an IPA's appearance.

The smell is very good as well. Has a nice orange rind and grapefruit dry hopped aroma with only a light backbone of pale malt breaking through. Quite floral as well, with a hint of pine resin.

The taste is just as I would expect from the nose. As I said before, it seems like the perfect middle ground between the huge citric bitterness of Alpha King and the doughy malt backbone and well-balanced centennial floral hops of the Two Hearted. Sweet bready malt flavors up front with a great citric, pine resinous, and floral hops bitterness that lingers well into the finish.

The body is just about right for an IPA as well. The sharp carbonation really accentuates the hops. Just as much as an alcohol burn as you would expect for an IPA at roughly 6%. Very drinkable, and the price is right as well. Highly recommended. If you've seen it at the store but didn't buy it for the same reasons I mentioned in my intro paragraph, give it a shot. Admittedly, I probably would have never tried this gem if I wasn't offered a sample at the store I work at.

neonbrown82, Mar 08, 2007

While I'm the first to admit that I'm not a huge IPA guy, I think this one is solid. Classic color, nice citrusy/piney aroma and a very nice spice hop taste, but not too over the top. I think in the end the taste is pretty balanced. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but still good. Drinkability seems ok. I got this as part of a beer of the month Xmas present from my colleagues at work. I would definitely have this one again. Pretty yummy.

sraimondi, Mar 01, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Nice hazy color ranging from orange/copper to orange/yellow... One inch of eggshell head that leaves behind minute lacing...

S - Hops and hops... very little malty nose on this one... Grapefruit/pine stand out...

T - Even more pine than in the nose and while I was taking my first drink, I found that malt I was looking for... Always amazes me how the senses of smell and taste work together!

M - The lack of body was the only really unfortunate part of this pint... A little watery... Probably could have used some more malt...

D - Pretty drinkable beer. Good hop character that only slighty overbalances the malty sweetness... That said I think I'll go get another!

beergynt, Feb 22, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

Appears golden and hazy with a 1 inch head. No sign of carbination or activity in the beer. After a few moments the head sinks down leaving a sticky lacing to the side of the glass.

The beverage smells heavily of hops.

It has a well balanced taste of roasted malt and bitter hops. The beverage has a light to medium body and goes down smooth.

I find it to be a drinkable beer.

Rennpferd, Jan 31, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Hazy orange color. Eighth inch head. Strong lacing.

S - Fragrant citrus hop aroma. Malty tones as well.

T - Very piney hop taste, faint malts attempt to be heard as well. Hop taste lingers for a good while after the swallow.

M - On the thin side but something about it makes me salivate.

D - A very satisfying, well done IPA.

umustdrink, Jan 28, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a cloudy orange with yeast floaties suspended in the body. Off-white head. Hoppy aroma with hints of pine and malt. Medium-bodied mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Hops dominates with flavors of pine and citrus in the forefront. Sharp carbonation with hops produce an awkward grittiness. Biscuity malt with hints of caramel follow. Bitter, lingering finish.

I was somewhat underwhelmed by this. It seemed to lack a little depth in flavor. Obviously the hops are there, but the malt backbone is lacking somewhat. Ok, offering, just not as good as others I've had.

Winter, Jan 25, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

BOTM...I'm not a fan of IPAs but this one is rather good.

Pours a light orange-amber with a thick foamy head and moderate lacing. Good carbonation. Smells of citrusy and grassy hops, nice and fresh smelling. Taste follows well with a good balance between hops and flavor, nothing too nasty at all. Good citrus and crispness balancing with floral and not skunky hops. Very nice.

aquatonex, Jan 22, 2007
3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

This poured with a fluffy, light-tan head that had good retention. The color was a very cloudy orangish-amber. The nose was lightly hoppy with an underlying sweetness to it. The mouthfeel was medium with a light tang on the palate. The finish was bitter, but not bitter enough. This seemed more like an APA than an IPA.

woodychandler, Jan 08, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

Cloudy, washed-out orange appearance with a silky one-finger head. Small but clearly visible sediment particles circulating within the glass.

Prominent floral and citrus hop in the nose.

Assertive grapefruit hop flavors. Trace of paper/cardboard. Dark-toasted and caramel malts provide some balance.

Smooth in the mouth; goes down as easy as you want.

I enjoyed this. Might not be as complex or challenging as some other IPAs, but I like mine to be more inviting. Thanks to a buddy of mine who got married last summer and got me 3 months of Beer of the Month Club as a groomsman gift; this beer came in my final installment.

doerickson, Jan 02, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

This beer pours a bright hazy orange with good head formation and retention. Aroma is of mild citrus notes and a great deal of fruitiness. It is pretty good. Taste is also mildly citrusy with a lot of somewhat complex fruit notes. I think this beer tastes very well, particularly compared to a number of rather mediocre IPAs I’ve tasted of late. Mouthfeel is marginally sticky, but generally pretty easy to drink.

BeerBelcher, Jan 01, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

Hazy dark gold / bronze color with lots of tiny suspended sediment and a low-moderate tan head. Nice pine and citrus hop flavors with pine standing out the most. Definitely balanced to the bitter side with piney hops dominating through to the finish. Medium bodied with light creaminess and a strong bitter hop finish.

Per BOM notes:
6.2% ABV
Malts: Pale Ale, Caramel, Carapils
Hops: Chinook, Cascade, Centennial

'5220' lasered on bottom
Tasted: 12/19/06

RBorsato, Dec 27, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Yet another beer-o-the-month selection.

Pours a very light orange - would have liked a bit more color. interestingly, there were quite a bit of floaties in there, something i havent really seen in an IPA. huge head and about 1/8" stays with it. lots of hops, very little malts. citrus, lemon, grapefruit, etc. light-bodied.

a fine example of the style, but certainly not one of the best out there.

Lnedrive14, Dec 27, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

Got this as part of my Beer of the Month club, 12 oz bottle with no freshness date that I could find, poured into a pint glass

A—pours light copper, slightly hazed with a 1 inch bone white cloud like head that slowly fades down to a thin sheet, laces thick and plentiful

S—citrus is dominate with a hint of sweetness, mild grapefruit and lemon in the nose

T—not as strong as the smell, the flavor is citrus, but really mild, some acidic taste that takes away from the enjoyment

M—a slight bit chalky, light bodied, good carbonation

D—not bad, but not great. It’ll do in a pinch.

hanco005, Dec 26, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Dark orange, cloudy color. Off-white head that's nice and fluffy.

S - Nice big pine hop aroma. Maybe a hint of malt in there, but this thing is hop-loaded.

T - Nice big hop flavor without overwhelming bitterness. Citrusey and piney flavor, as well as some malt coming through here.

M - Medium body, clean and refreshing, carbonation is lively.

D - I won't ever see this beer again, I'm sure, but if I did, I would buy it. One of the better IPA's I've had.

BlackAngus, Dec 13, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

Selection of the Beer-of-the-Month Club.
Poured a cloudy deep amber color with massive slightly off-white puffy head. Nice lacing.
Smell is citrusy and loaded with piney hops. Very impressive.
Taste is also loaded with hops, with only a mild malty presence noted.
Nice dry finish that beckons for another taste.
Great drinking beer. Good example of the style.

tgbljb, Dec 03, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Received as part of my MicroBeer Club November shipment received at the end of November.

Beer poured a golden orange with a nice white head that is leaving a splotchy lacing behind. Nose is full of hops with a hint of malts. Taste starts a bit malty followed by a generous blast of grapefruit tinged hops. A must for IPA junkies to try. FInish is crisp. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Drinkability is very good. This is a nice interpretation of the IPA style!

arizcards, Dec 02, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to jpm30 for the opportunity.
This is an interesting IPA
Pours a typical apricot yellow/orange IPA but with the most massive off white head I have ever seen in a beer. You really have to pay attention and take your time making a multi-part pour with this one.
Aromas are definately all piney-grapefruit peel hops.
Flavor is also all about the hops. No malt to speak of. Fresh, refreshing, clean, pink grapefruit peel and piney hops. Very dry which means it is also very refreshing.
Mouth is left dry with flavors of the citrus peel hops afterwards.

IntriqKen, Nov 28, 2006
3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Thanks to UncleRandy for this one.

A: Drab apricot juice colored brew, hazy as hell. Well carbonated, the beer was in a hurry to get out of the bottle. It produced a VERY nice rocky top head...I mean very nice and it lasted the entire beer. Great looking beer in my opinion.

S: Strong pine notes with intermingling grapefruit rind.

T: This is the driest IPA I've ever had. There is almost NO maltiness to it. Begins with a woody pine profile. Moves towards an earthy bitterness that reminds me of the forest floor. As it warms, a touch of sappy hop resin adds just a smidge of sweetness. Finishes extremely bitter and dry.

M: Medium body with good smoothness. Bit prickly at times.

D: This beer needs some sweetness to balance it out. I imagine hop heads love this one though. Reminds me a lot of the Hopsickle. Good but not totally up my alley.

Westsidethreat, Nov 19, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

I really was hoping this would be one of those hidden Wisconsin IPA gems but unfortunately this is not one of those.

Every bottle I poured had an excessive amount of carbonation. 2/3 glass beer, and 1/3 glass of foam....drinking straight from the bottle it felt like a fizzy alcaseltzer in the mouth...

The nose is probably the highlight...nice fresh piney aroma with some pink grapefruit rind....the aroma is fine.

Taste is unbalanced....a lot of piney hops with just a hint grapefruit rinds...solid bitterness but lacks depth.

Overall I would not purchase this one again. I'll stick with Tyranena Bitter Woman and New Glarus Hop Hearty any day...

ZAP, Nov 03, 2006