Hard Lemonade - Sand Creek Brewing Company

Beer added by: on 01-11-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by A60sburnout:
3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer? Hardly. Hard Lemonade? DUH!

An aggressive pour generated a light, one-finger head that stayed around for the length of its existence, but eft no appreciable lacing.

Looks like a more yellow hefeweizen in the stein, but certainly doesn't taste like one. The aroma is of sweetened lemonade and alcohol with no discernible malt smell or hoppines. The alcohol bite is certainly present.

Very refreshing drink; beats Mike's Hard Lemonade by a longshot, in my opinion. I would have rated the taste higher, but its probably unfair to rate this tasty beverage as a beer.

My compliments to Sand Creek.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Maybe I was inclined to like this, as I've always wanted to find a good "hard lemonade" and have always been let down. My first experience with this was on tap at Sugar Maple in Milwaukee, WI. I thought it was exactly what I'd been hoping for...maybe more.

Looked, smelled, and tasted like good homemade lemonade. Refreshing and delicious. Forget about Mike's Hard Lemonade or any other popular lemonade type drink.

I picked up a six pack in bottles on a recent trip back to Milwaukee and my first impressions were accurate. Poured a nice, hazy, homemade lemonade color. Poured into a nice, lasting head. Smell was that of fresh lemons. Like the last reviewer said, none of that processed, chemical smell or taste.

Sure, it's October and not the ideal time of year I'd choose to drink this, but I look forward to getting some more of this at the height of next summer.

3.09/5  rDev -18.7%

Uh, it's lemonade.

Pale yellow, slightly cloudy. Light carbonation. Relatively natural tasting, and sweet, without being gross or any more cloying than absolutely necessary. Refreshing in a "one a year" kind of way. You know, like when it gets up to 79F in Seattle. Just enough flavor to mask the alcohol, which I would guess is no more than 5%.

But let's be perfectly clear: this has nothing to do with beer except in the statutory sense.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Bought this after reading recommendations for it in the forum here at BA. My local bottle shop isn't carrying any other Sand Creek beer any more due to lack of interest/sales but they do continue to carry the hard lemonade.

My first pour into a standard pint glass was rather vigorous, and I was presented with lots of foam/head. I was expecting something closer to Mike's Hard Lemonade, with carbonation being on the low side. This is not the case here. A second pour later, which was treated like a normal "beer" pour, was much easier to deal with, and left a nice white fluffy head.

Smells like lemons. Fresh squeezed, natural lemons. Not the artificial stuff here.

First taste I was taken aback. Sweeter than I expected, much more like a beer than I was expecting. Not alot of booze/heat. Very refreshing. Goes does *way* too easily. Could be dangerous if sessioned.

Glad I tried this, and plan to keep this in my fridge all summer long, alternating with Leines' shandy. A wonderful drink.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams Summer Ale stange. No date or info.

A - Looks like lemonade from the low frothy white head on the pour to the incredibly pale piss-yellow color. Lots of carbonation bubbles through the light haze.

S - Crisp, freshly squeezed lemons with a sprinkle of sugar and a very minor hint of cleaning-like alcohol. Yep, this is hard lemonade.

T - Wow. It has a tiny beer background to it! Still though, it's not unlike Mike's hard lemonade (besides being better). Lots of freshly squeezed lemon with a really sweet, sugary Kool-Ade-like flavor. Hints of malt behind but it's almost pure sugar-lemon.

M - Medium-light bodied and fairly carbonated with a sweet sugar body to balance the tart citrus from the lemon. Refreshing and crisp.

D - Yeah, this would make one hell of a good summer drink. I could session this all day while wake boarding on the lake. No real beer hint but damn. It says Hard Lemonade on the front, what else would you expect?

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a slightly hazy light to medium straw amber with light gold highlights. Aroma of lemon juice with a hint of sweet malt. Flavor begins with lemonade, tart and mildly sweet which develops a light malt fullness that is almost more of a mouth feel and mellowing of the lemonade than a malty flavor. Finishes with a light tart lemon flavor. Light to medium bodied. An interesting flavor progression that is quite refreshing and more lemonade forward than any similar shandies or fruit beers I've tried. I've never had a commercial hard lemonade, so cannot compare this to other similarly named drinks, but as a fruit beer it delivers what it promises, a lemonade drink with a bit of a kick and some mellowing of the flavor from whatever else is in the brewing process (there is no taste clue whether this is wheat or barley based). I'd consider this for a refreshing summer drink if it was available in my area.

1.5/5  rDev -60.5%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

My Weinbauer rep (back when they were indeed my reps) talked this one up quite a bit, so I had to indulge in a bottle to see for myself. It pours a mostly clear straw topped by a healthy finger of white foam. The nose is a blast of Country Time mix with a solid tartness underlying the inherent sweetness. Now, it's nowhere near as necessarily artificial as that may sound, I'm just trying to relay the sweetness factor in there. My mouth is watering, actually. The taste follows exactly, with a small bite of sour ensuring that the sweetness doesn't go too far. The body straddles the border between hefty light and light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda sticky finish. Overall, this has got to be one of the best drinks labeled a "hard lemonade" that I have ever tried. Frankly, I can't believe Mike's and the others are still in business in this area with this stuff as competition.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Had this one on tap during St. Patty's day in River Falls at Juniors.

A - Well, it was St. Patty's day so the beer was obviously green. Aside from that, there was a good looking haze to the body. The head was about a finger thick, white and fluffy. Minutes after receiving the beer there was still a nice lace on the beer, which stuck throughout.

S - Lemons, what else? Contrary to many other fruit or lemon beers, this one seemed to have the real deal in it. Yes, real lemons, no artificial smell that are so common in most fruit beers. I didn't gather a whole lot aside from that, but the lemon smell was enough to grab my interest.

T - Move over Mike's, this stuff is a legitimate lemon beer. While it's bursting at the seams with lemons, there is still a beer portion that is recognizable in this beer. Malts and grains are present but are quite faint compared to the lemon and what I assume are sugar notes.

M - Light bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. Entering the mouth there is plenty of sweetness from the lemons. Carbonation arrives and provides a nice transition with the faint amount of grains and malts into a the slightly tart lemon finish. Pretty solid overall for what is advertised as a hard lemonade.

D - While I got what I was expecting from this hard lemonade, it's hard to imagine myself having a ton of this. From a fruit/vegetable beer perspective this is a solid offering. I would like to see a little more beer work it's way into this lemonade. Although some characteristics are there, I feel it could be improved.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

If you like other fruit beers....This one will blow you away! Absolutely Perfect!!! I have tried them all and this one was great. Plus, I'm from WI and am proud this is a local micro brewery....Black River Falls! Way to go!! Would love to come and taste others and take a tour.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass mug.

Pours a light yellow with a light fizzy effervescent head. Just by looking at this beer you can tell that it is clearly well carbonated. The constant fizzing at the top give this beer an oddly unique look when being held close up and in the light. The smell is very sweet and smells very strongly like lemonade with one difference: There is a very well defined underlying malt profile of buiscuity breadyness that lets you know that yes, this is indeed a beer. Right away I'll tell you that I can already tell some people, in particular some beer geeks, will not enjoy this beer: It is very overly sweet. However the sweetness comes from the fact that this beer actually dose taste like some very fresh lemonade with the added bonus of a rich refreshing malt profile. The beer has a very light feel to it with a high carbonation. The texture is very similar to that of juice. I find this beer to beer very refreshing and very true to the style of what a good shandy/hard lemonade should be. (Although the only reason this is even labeled as beer is because of it's status.) Living here in Wisconsin I can honestly say that I would definitely choose this beer over Leinenkugal's summer shandy every single time. I'm very happy I tried this beer.

3.49/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Had a cloudy golden hue and smelled of lemons and honey. The taste was a mixture of honey and lemon which was nice. Overall a pretty good fruit beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%