Lilja's Sasquatch Stout - Sand Creek Brewing Company

good

Sand Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BMoney575 on 02-13-2010)

4.75/5  rDev +27%

Has all the characteristics a good stout should. A dark color, great head, strong roasted flavor with a bitter, dry finish. This one also has a taste of currants and rye bread. Very complex, very interesting, and very delicious. Reminds me both of a milk stout and an imperial stout.

4.53/5  rDev +21.1%

Pretty much an opaque black liquid with cola colored edges. The light tan head is dense and creamy, settling at 1/4".

Very fresh heavily roasted malty nose with sweet cream pinning down the initial whiff. A few swirls from my Ayinger stemmed tulip glass evokes a wonderfully fresh milk chocolate and cafe latte aroma. Also, I smell fresh buttermilk bisquits drenched in honey. This is heavenly.

Wow, the initial flavor is wonderfully leathery and a bit smokey. definitely didn't get that in the nose, but I'm pleasantly surprised by this tasty component. The sweetness I perceived in the nose is still here, but a more bitter and chalky chocolate taste reigns now - another great surprise. Very balanced creamy, smokey, charred, sweet & bitter flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation - very English in feel. Long, flavorful finish.

Drinkability is superb. Lots of flavor but nothing over-the-top or in your face.

The flavor of this stout really hits on many areas of the spectrum. It's got something for everyone, that is, for a standard American Stout. One of the most wonderful smelling stouts I've encountered. I'd love to try this on tap when I'm in Wisconsin this August. Actually, I'll definitely seek this out. A great standard stout that really stands out!

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Really looks the part...deep dark brown(almost black) with mahogany hues...big frothy tan head on top...

S-Nice roasted malts...light java....

T-Loaded with flavor....big coffee bean flavor...also roasted malts...nice impression of milk chocolate and caramel...tasstes almost like a candy bar...low hop presence.

M-Medium to full bodied...creamy...I wonder if oats were used at all as this has a nice velvety texture...

D-Without question the best of the "Lilja's" line from Sand Creek. I wish they would do more with it on the website as I would love to learn more. A top notch american stout that you can probably find at a decent price...much better than the other "Lilja's" offerings

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

I have never heard of this brewery, so when I was in a random store shopping I saw this and was curious.

A- Black as night which has a nice brown foam that collects around the ring of the glass. Small amounts of carbonation gather at the top of the glass.

S- Very bold rich in flavor. Get a nice amount of chocolate along with a nice coffee like malt as well.

T- Has a fantastic bold flavor to it. A great balance between a nice coffee and chocolate flavor.

M- It has a very thick flavor which is stands out. A very sweet finish. For a stout it has a great drinkability.

Overall- Very impressed made a great decision to try this beer and look forward to trying more of their products! Cheers

4.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

It poured a very dark black for a non imperial, nice finger and half of mocah head, really good looking stout here.

Smell is roasty malts, bitter sweet chocolate, slight nut smell?

Ok taste is very unique for a stout, HUGE bakers chocolate, basically like eating semi sweet baking chocolate chips, huge roasty charachter. and a bitter coffee does show its face a little in the finish,

Mouthfeel is medium light and does not really match the flavor which to me is world class, I wish they would have added a little more bulk and silkyness to the body, but it will certainly not keep me from enjoying this beer

I grabbed this one as a single on a whim.... Shared that single with a couple of people at the local bottle shop and I am sure glad I did because that prompted me to get the 6 pack which I now have two more glorious bottles to drink....

Great American stout that I am sure many have not heard of or seen as I live an hour and half from where it is produced and came into contact with it by accident. GOOD STUFF!

4.21/5  rDev +12.6%

On tap at Mason lounge, Madison. Fortunate to have the chance to sample thiis on tap. Nice aroma, beautiful opaque appearance, w/ rocky head and permanent lacing. The flavor is a bit disappointing, after the aroma. Mouthfeel is this and somewhat chewy. I'm fairly pleased with this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz. A very dark brown pour with a half finger of dark cream foam.
Aroma is nice roast malt and chocolates. Nothing over the top, nothing offensive.

Taste is mild cocoa and roast malt. Hints of caramel and very minute coffee. Finish is just a follow through of the base flavors, maybe just a little anise.

Mouthfeel is mid-light, chalkiness overridden by creaminess, even with the lighter stout body. Lighter, but not watery or even thin feeling really.

A real solid drinkable stout. I'd guess 5.5 or so on the abv. A session stout for sure.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

This was a completely random pick up, just a 12 oz bottle. There was no ABV or date labeled. Pours a beautiful dark brown, almost black. The head was nice and the lacing is supurb. Smell is pungent of roasted chocolate and coffee w/ a touch of smoke. Taste is full-flavored, loaded w/ chocolate and coffee. Mouthfeel is slightly chewy but very smooth. Drinkability is great, very sessionable.

I'm surprised I rated this beer so highly, but the flavors and drinkability are pretty hard to ignore. I do perfer Imperial Stouts, so the chance of me picking this up again is slim, but that definitely doesn't make this a bad beer. I wish I knew the abv, I'm assuming it's somewhere in the 5% range. This was probably the most sessionable stout I've ever had considering the full flavor. Nice beer from a brewery I've never heard of, until now. If you're looking for a stout you can drink a few of and not get sick of, this is it.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours dark black, very opaque, with a thin brown head that soon becomes soapscum. Slight brownish notes towards the bottom of the glass, almost like coffee. Smells sweet, very toasty, lots of caramel and bittersweet chocolate. The aroma is very vigorous, inviting.

Taste is similar, lots of dry roasted character with a pleasant bittersweet chocolate finish and a dry aftertaste. Sweetness and bitterness are almost ridiculously well-balanced, making this a very enjoyable brew. I've had a lot stouts, and this stacks up as one of the better examples I've tried.

Lilja's Sasquatch Stout from Sand Creek Brewing Company