Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale - Lake Louie Brewery Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: cokes on 05-14-2003

Released annually in August
3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

I was really excited to get to try this one. There was a lot of hype around it, and I watched as it climbed the ranks of the BA top 100 over and over again. I just had to get my hands on a bottle of this one, but from where? Well I was lucky enough to be able to score a bottle of this one in a trade a while back and let it sit in my cellar for a few weeks before bringing it out to get ready to try it. After sitting in the fridge for a few weeks, it was ready to go tonight. Took it out and let it warm up to around 50 degrees before serving this nice twelve ounce bottle into a Lafayette Brewing Pint Glass.

A - Poured a very deep dark brown color, very full looking with the color of dark mud or old wood. Deep hazelnut like color with a very thick almost opaque look to it. Lots of cloudiness and haze built into it as well, really giving it that full look. A nice two finger high head of tan colored lace rose up above the glass upon the first pour. Very quick fade on this one left behind essentially nothing but a thin lace veil across the top and some light bubbles toward the side of the glass. Some light silky side glass lace became apparent when you swirled I a little in the glass. No visible carbonation was apparent. Overall not a bad appearance for a scotch ale.

S - The aroma was rather interesting I have to admit, A little different then I was expecting it to, having had a few scotch ales in the last week. Started out quite mellow with big notes of caramel and toffee coming right up front. No hiding the big malts in this one what so ever. Lots of brown sugar now coming through as well. Something very musty in here as well, bready malts perhaps, maybe butterscotch. A thick aroma, but at the same time, very mellow and light. Quite different to be honest. There was a hint of some coffee beans in here as well, perhaps the lightest touch of bourbon in the alcohol department. Overall not bad at all, I have smelled better, but the profile had sufficient depth to keep me interested.

T - The flavor to me, I have to be honest seemed a tad bit underwhelming to me. It was good and all, don't get me wrong, I had just expected that for something rated higher then any other Scotch Ale on the board that it would really be draw dropping, however for me it just was not. The first flavor to come across was a muted caramel, mixed in with a less then subtle musty bread like taste. It was just that moldy weird flavor I really just do not care for in the slightest. Up next was a deep sweet flavor, hints of vanilla, butterscotch and several types of earthy grain, were all very well represented. However there was just no good follow through for me, nothing that really capped it and said this was great, nothing to really set it apart. No hint of alcohol in this one what so ever which was nice. The finish again came off as somewhat muted and unfinished, really not earth shattering in any way. Drawn out for a short time, were hints of caramel and grass, but these quickly faded into the sugar and were never to be seen from again.

M - The feel on this one was decent enough. A nice medium bodied ale, that did not come off too thin or watery, however just really did not have the big full feel I would have looked for. This was mostly due to the lack of carbonation, which was very evident and to be honest a shame as it really distracted here, making it come off somewhat dull.

D - The 9% ABV was nowhere to be seen here at all. I honestly thought it was around 6 until I looked it up. It definitely was smooth and creamy, but the only distraction was in the flavor, which was just not up my alley what so ever. I still could have put down more then one with ease, but still not the greatest thing in the world here,

Overall I was completely under whelmed by this one. I was hoping that this was going to be some really great Scotch ale the likes of which I had not seen before, however this was just not the case. It was dull , muted, and just really just did not taste anywhere near what I would have liked it to. I don't think I would try this one again, unless I just had a bad bottle, but whatever there are much better representations of the style out there to be found, I don't really think this one is worth the hype. (4,257 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

I got this bottle in a trade with orbitalrOx.
Thanks Don.

This is one of my favourite styles. :^)

It pours from 12 oz bottle a hazy rusty brown with a 1 finger head of foam. It shrinks after a few minutes but there's still a fine layer(with god lacing) near the end of the session.

The smell is of roasted and caramel malt along with some notes of chocolate and just a wee bit of alcohol.

The taste has the caramel malt up front and gives me a nice sweet flavour. Now I get a bit of chocolate, big toffee, some smoke(nicely done) and some roasted malt. There's also some hops hiding in the background that I find more prevelent in the finish. Yum. The alcohol is just noticeable after the swallow but doesn't interfere with the flavour at all.

The mouthfeel is medium bordering on heavy and feels silky smooth. Yum again. That toffee is really make this one very drinkable given the alcohol content. I'm really happy that I got to try this Wee Heavy as it's a darn good one! (979 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

From notes:

Clear brown with an off white head of foam. Caramel hits hard in the nose, with light hops in the background. Other notes of chocolate, roasted malt, and booze make this one similar to a dark chocolate roasted caramello bar. Taste is caramel again, with nice boozy warmth, toasted/roasted malts and a wonderful lingering finish of toffeeness. Mouthfeel is a little thin but that lends to the excellent drinkability (427 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer has a dark warm brown body with a light tan head that is creamy and last for a good bit of the beer. There is a sea of tiny bubbles that glide to the surface of the beer.

S- The smooth smell of toasted caramel malt has a note of some darker dry roasted malt in the background.

T- The taste of brown malt has a soft smoky hint to it with a light biscuit malt note to it. The taste of dark chocolate roasted malt and some other darker roasted dry malts lurk in the background. A faint bitterness of hops in the background has stronger pine flavors come through as the beer warms. The soft note of bitterness from malt and hops both linger after each sip.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a soft fizz and a light alcohol heat coming through as it warms.

D- This beer has a good smooth flavor with some nice depth. The light note of smoke does a good job of enhancing the malt without tasting like band aids. (958 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Received in a trade with EliteDigger. Thanks!
Dark toffee brown, fairly clear, with a thin, fine skim of beige foam. The bubbles formed a solid collar and produced quite a bit of delicate lace. Toffee/caramel aroma, a hint of cocoa and roast, light smoke. Low bitterness with a lot of malt, mostly toffee and caramel sweetness, light hoppiness and chocolate notes, some alcohol and smoke in the finish. Medium to full bodied with smooth, soft carbonation. A little on the creamy side with some warmth. This stuff is really quite good. I could sip on this all night. (565 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

2006, Thanks to DaPeculiarDane for sending this 13 month old brew my way. I am in your debt. Split 3 ways with the brewhouse staff. They owe me for sharing this one (and better bring more midnight sun).

Looks like a brew that is content with its own perfection. Not too much going in the way of head but kicks up some bubbles when agitated.

I love the smell. If these reviews are meant to persuade people to scavenge for a product then trust me, seek this out. If there meant to describe in great detail the nuances, then, in this case, I don't know what to say.

Taste is rich and dank and bready. And sweet. Hops have mellowed into the assistant Grip role (important but hidden). Nip of alcohol at the end. Perfect.

Mouthfeel has devolved into a flat, syrup at this point as I try to stretch the four ounces I have into the better part of 30 min, but I remember it being just the right amount of soft carbonation in the beginning.

Drinkability is amazing. I only hope that my remaining bottles of '07 taste this good a year from now, as I will be saving them all with this on my mind.
___

2007, Thanks to my Dad for picking up a couple of sixers in Wisco for me.

Appearance is slightly darker than amber with decent head that keeps afloat until finished.

Aroma comes sweet and caramel with slight bit of alcohol.

Taste is hoppier and more alcohol than I remember, but, as a jaded hop freak, I like both of those qualities. No peat present.

Mouthfeel is bueno with not too much carbonation.

Drinkability is great, although if I had a choice, I would stick with the warp speed as my main beer for my brief, biannual visits to Madison. I guess it works out.

A-4 S-4 T-4.5 M-4.5 D-4 (1,691 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

This beer was poured into an Imperial pint glass from a 12 ounce brown bottle at 46º. One and one half fingers of light tan head resulted on top of the mahogany coloring. No dating appeared on the bottle.

Some malt aromatics were present with the first breath. A darker and brown malt aroma seemed to be present later.

There was a bitter taste with the first sip that took away from the sweetness of the malt. The malt taste is different and I would not classify it as sweet from any of the additional sips.

This beer lasted a little while with some lingering warmth after swallowing. Hangs to the upper back part of the mouth for quite a length of time.

Quite a bit of punch here which is probably due to the alcohol. I like the lasting flavors and slight lacing which also hung around for a while. Read some information on Louie Reserve and it looks like the alcohol at 9% to 10% is what I am sensing. I did not get the caramel either but then I don’t always know what I’m doing. Looks like I was lucky to pick up a six of this. (1,037 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

A red-brown, nearly opaque glass welcomed me on my first pour in over a week.
Slight malt, nutty, and some fleeing sweet caramel scents came through on first sniff.
On first taste, it is noticebly more full bodied than their Warped Speed offering. It was wet and mildy acidic on the way down. Definite tongue-smack quality present.
After a few more swallows, the warmth in my previously empty belly began to warm. The ABV was fairly well hidden despite the early acidity- that I attribute to not allowing the ale to warm fully.
The nuttiness becomes more present as it warms.

Although it was bit more than I wanted to spend (partly because the vendor), the ale is quite good and can see indulging again. (706 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

A 12 oz bottle from a Dark Lord day trade with nflmvp. This serves as a nice compliment to the Warped Speed that I just enjoyed.

A: The scotch ale is dark maroon brown color, revealing both dark red and chocolate hues. A small head was unremarkable, hence I will remark no further.

S: The aroma is much fuller than the Warped Speed, revealing more caramel notes than the Warped Speed.

T: This is a mouthful. I often associate Scotch Ale with smokiness. This beer has none of that, and all the better for it. That is not to say that this beer eschews malts, it remains a delicious malty treat, however the flavors have changed up. The malts are concentrated and focused, creating a huge caramel mouthfeel that is potent but delicious. This is awesome.

M: The maltiness is undeniable and the caramel malt focus is wonderful, keeping my tastebuds entranced throughout the glass.

D: The 9% is so well hidden that I'd be hardpressed to put the abv above 6%. The ale is warming and full without being to sweet. An incredible beer that is worth the accolades. Easily one of the best wee heavies that I've ever had. (1,112 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Burnt butterscotch suffused with red. The toffee colored cap is whipped creamy with a surprising retention given its apparent airiness. A respectable amount of bubble bath-like foam finds the glass, but would look better and last longer if it was more substantial.

The nose is redolent of (and dominated by) dark butterscotch. Brown sugar crusted figs and dates, along with a tendril or two of smoke, play second fiddle. It smells like the beer will be both tangy and sweet. Oh yeah... and as delicious as all get out.

Louie's Reserve is everything I'd hoped for after drinking Warped Speed. I can't call up too many details about the smaller beer, but this one seems sweeter, more caramel malty and more lush. Can't forget higher in alcohol since the 9.0% isn't completely masked. It's masked well enough though.

Each mouthful delivers a dizzying blast of flavors that includes dark butterscotch (and Scotch whisky), dark toffee, brown sugar, cocoa and sourish peat smoke. Now *this* is what a wee heavy should taste like. There are plenty of Scottish brewers who don't brew Scotch ales this Scottish in character. I didn't think it was possible, but complexity increases as the beer warms.

The mouthfeel is pure, hedonistic pleasure. Time fixes a slightly too bubblicious nature right out of the gate, leaving a gloriously lush beer that is the very definition of silky smooth. I'm trying to slow down since the ABV is beginning to do a number on coherent sentence formation, but it's hard to keep from grabbing the glass again and again.

Louie's Reserve Strong Scotch Ale (as the neck label reads) is the best beer that I've ever had from what I think is the best brewer in the great state of Wisconsin. It's everything I want in a wee heavy and then some. If I was a Badger, I'd buy this stuff by case whenever the brewery decided to grace us with a batch. (1,875 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Thick tan head on a cloudy amber body.
S- Big toffee aroma with grass and some earthy notes in it. Very light hints of fruit too. A light burnt aroma also.
T- A balance between toffee, grass hops, cherries, and a few other darker fruits, a light earthy note as well.
M- Full body with low/medium carbonation.
D- It is pretty good. I think it might be a tad to old but still tasty. I think there are better wee heavies though. (432 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks goes out to Faro for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a grapey color, nice carbonation, nice small creamy tan head, leaves some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, slightly oaky, cherries, figs, raisins, and some caramel. The taste is malty/oaky, nice presents of dark fruit, some tanginess, nice touch of caramel. The finish is dry. Medium body, a complex brew. Very drinkable, I/you could drink a few of these before you know it, easily. (447 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to stoutsnipas for this one, cellared for one year.
On my Corsendonk "thistle".
It pours a nice-looking, murky brown, with a thin light brown head, with average retention but very good lacing.
Rich aroma, sweetish of mostly caramel, with some hints of hops and an underlying evidence of the high alcoholic content.
Full bodied and creamy on the palate, its rich, initially sweetish and mostly "caramelized" taste is well balanced by a mild bitterness, but more evident, a warming alcoholic "bite".
Easy to drink for such a powerful ale, but one is more than satisfying.
My first Lake Louie beer, and a very pleasant surprise.
I will get a pack of this for next winter. (683 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%

Wasn't kept in the refridgerater, this is my last one. Thought I'd give it a try after visiting the brewery.

Pours a big head that doesn't fall that fast, it leaves a great lacing behind as well. The color is a dark brown with a red hue in it. The smell is a little sour and smells like a scotch ale. The taste is a little clove with a big Scotch ale taste. The mouthfeel is very carbonated and slightly fizzy. But it's crisp and a little refreshing as well. I will wait patiently for the next year's reserve ale to try it again. (533 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +15.8%

Into a pint glass, pours a deep ruby to maroon, the color of a fading sunset, cloudy and hazy in a mysterious kind of way. The head is enormous, a rounded cap flowing over the rim shrank for several minutes before settling down to a thick, bubbly foam, with lacing in columns. The aroma is pretty damn good, if a little weak, but deep, with sweet yet almost burnt caramels, a little brandy/bourbony zing of alcohol, brown sugar.

The taste is simply marvelous, intense, soothing, delicious. Deep, rich tones of earthy goodness bustle about. There is a very warm, brandly-like alcohol bordering on bourbon, caramels that take on a chocolately character, earthy hops that take on a woody effect, fruits of figs, dates, raisins, floating around. Absolute brilliance.

The finish is long, sweet and bitter, warming, full body and perfect carbonation that starts and ends at just the right time, the high alcohol perfectly handled, never harsh, always warming.

If only the nose were as complex and a little more assertive, this would be a perfect beer. I can't think of a better beer in this style, and few would rank higher in my book. Its an instant favorite for me, and I'll be making a dedicated trip/trade in the near future for more of this brilliant beer. Heaping, enormous thanks to nflmvp.

I'm amazed I actually traded one of these away. leftmindedrighty, mother fucker you better like this one!!! :) (1,414 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a dark amber you can't really see through with a half finger of off white head that melts to a fine off white covering on the top of the brew.
Aroma is lots of caramel and dark brown sugar.
Taste isn't as sweet as the aroma (a good thing...it smells really sweet).
Toasted to burnt amber malts with a burnt caramel backbone.
Somehow all of this sugar manages to leave your mouth dry and wanting more.
Nice alcohol warmth felt as you swallow and even more so as it settles to warm your tummy.
Like it! (512 characters)

from buckeyenation, thanks!
Pours a hazy copper/dark caramel color. Slight brown head. Aroma contains sweet malt, light caramel, some toffee and bit of spice/hops.
Tastes sweet, with a bit of a bite. Malt is heavy, but delicious. Not as sweet as I assumed it would be. Bite at the end levels everything off. Dried black fruits seem to overarching flavor.
A bit sweet for me, but a good brew. (394 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks too nflmvp for a couple bottles of this beauty.

Pours muddy water brown, ruby hues throughout. Seme transparent. A small white head with thin lace sticks around for the show.

Big sweet toffee malt aromas with a sharp fruit esscence. Fresh fig and dried fig, as well as hints of raisin. A hint of black raspberry as well.

Very good and extremely drinkable. A toffee flavored milk shake. Not overly complex with depth but still much going on. Hints of bitter hop on the finish just too add length it seems. Semi sweet chocolate, again a variety of dried fig, raisin, blackberry, and a slight bit of almond on the finish.

Medium leaning toward thin mouthfeel. (676 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

S - 12 oz. bottle, big thank you to andy, you sir, are the man.

A - Pours a deep red with a creamy light tan head. Lacing is great, looks are soft and extremely inviting. I feel like I could fall asleep on the head of this brew with no problem.

S - Bready, citric, tangy, slight alcohol in the there as well, dark fruity hits, fig, molasses, one of the more complex beers I've had the pleasure of smelling. Wow.

T - Caramel, roasted malt, great hop profile in there as well, fruits are well blended too, citrus, sugary.

M - Very good. Almost perfect to style.

D - Give me another, period. (603 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Label reads "Louie's Reserve Strong Scotch Ale", 2006 release.

Pours a deep, ruddy brown, with murky trails of carbonation. A good amount of foam billows up, but it's what lurks within that gives it a mysterious visual appeal.

Initial fruity plum note in the first whiff, later a slight alcohol twinge mixed with smoky malt.

Taste is initially sweet, giving way to a warm rye/malt combo in between, and a bittersweet finish. Notes of smoky, peaty earthiness reside in there too.

Mouthfeel is silky and smooth. Not too heavy or syrupy, it strikes the perfect balance. Alcohol is well hidden, two bottles disappear without a trace.

Overall this is a very worthwhile brew to seek out while in WI, or through trading. Be sure it's fresh, and stored cold though. Old bottles are nothing to write home about. (812 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Violet ink dark amber brown. Thick, creamy, rocky, dirty khaki head. Laces excellently. Complex aroma: caramel apple, smoke, butter rum, meat, scorched brown sugar, leather, and light peat bog. Big earthy sweet caramelly malt flavors up front. Rummy fruits and sweet bread combine with leather, spiced pudding, and peat. Mild, pleasant, peppery bitterness follows. Residual malty sweetness in the finish. Full-bodied, coating feel. Excellent beer! So malty and complex! (469 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Thanks to DaPeculierDane for this one, which reached me by way of Golden2wenty1's fridge. Lucky me.

Appearance: Beautiful rich dark chocolate brown, with nice ruby highlights. No real visibility. No head, nearly no suds either. Medium viscosity.

Aroma: Cream, chocolate and raisins. Great nuttiness, almost a peanut butter finish.

Taste: Creamy chocolate malts, with a raisin finish to the middle palate. Roasted espresso notes and raisins create an awesome nutty finish. Toffee and almost smoky developments. Amazingly smooth and balanced, with the booze being perfectly masked.

Mouthfeel: Heavy but devilishly smooth, with low carbonation and a nice malt finish. A little smokiness helps clean the palate.

Drinkability: This is amazingly drinkable for such a heavy beer. Balanced, smooth, with a belt that sneaks up on you. No wonder they used to call this Liqiud Reefer.... (891 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a dark brown with a thin head. Aroma is strong with syrupy malt, maple flavor, some sugary sweetness.

Taste is rich and roasted malty sweetness, some obvious woody flavors, some smoke. I detect some black patent and chocolate malt, caramel, a little buttered toffee and some very mild hop bitterness. Sweetness diminishes as it warms, revealing more of the subtle bourbon flavors like the grain in a piece of wood. No trace of alcohol in the flavors.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy and syrupy but remarkably smooth and drinkable. Would make a fine winter warmer, or pair well with a cigar. I like it, no matter what it decides to be. (642 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours from the 12oz bottle a dark chestnut brown with a backing dark red hue. A half inch of bone white foam sits atop the brew alongside some spotty lacing. Aromas bring smooth, deep rich caramel malts with a hefty dose of dark fruit and raisins. Definite chocolate notes with a touch of smokiness and hops. Simply a beautfiul aroma.

First sip brings a wonderful caramel maltiness accentuated by a river of dark fruity flavors. Underlying cocoa works in nicely. Somewhat roasty with a touch of vanilla and some peaty smokiness on the way down. Intensly flavorful with a great melding of flavors. A malty masterpiece if I say so myself.

Mouthfeel is nice and chewy with plenty of carbonation. It makes itself known and goes down easily with only a touch of alcohol on the finish. Another stellar scotch ale from Lake Louie that I wish I had a bigger supply of. I see myself coming home with a trunk full of Lake Louie the next time I get up to WI. Thanks to kmpitz2 for this one. (985 characters)

Thanks to kmpitz2 for this…
Appears a hazy mahogany with a small white head.
Smell is of cocoa, smokey malts, and rich caramel.
Taste is of the same aromas with some mild hoppiness in the background.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and syrupy. Not bad at all. (259 characters)

Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale from Lake Louie Brewery Company