Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale - Lake Louie Brewery Company

Beer added by: cokes on 05-14-2003

Released annually in August
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle - Pretty sure it's a 2010 vintage - Poured into a pint glass...

Pours a dark reddish brown, mahogany colored with very nice clarity. One finger of light tan head forms, leaves some lacing behind...

Sweet dark fruits and tons of caramel malt fill the nose. Bready and a bit smokey. Alcohol is noticeable...

Not as sweet as expected, still sweet, but noticeably less so than the regular "Warped Speed" scotch ale. Caramel and a bit of dark fruit. Smokey and a bit bitter in the finish wiping away most of the sweet, which is fine with me. Alcohol starts to show up after a few sips...

Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Slick and smooth with a slight lingering bitterness and alcohol heat... (714 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

After drinking so many hoppy beers it is good to go to the malty side and this was a great departure. Filtered darker red/amber with a distinct malt and buttered caramel popcorn nose. I'm not getting any peat just a lot of the same flavors as the smell. This needs to be enjoyed slowly since warming really helps bring some excellent flavors forward in a big bodied beer. I liked the warped speed much better. Someone get me a Lake Louie t-shirt! Yet another dirtylou beer. (473 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

A-Pours a hazy, deep brownish copper color with ample creamy, off-white head that leaves some lacing on the glass and fades to just a thin layer of foam that sticks around.
S-Malty, sweet aromas of caramel and the slightest hints of vanilla and chocolate and biscuit.
T-Flavors of biscuit/bread, malty with a hint of caramel, slight smoke or toasted malt favor, lots of alcohol. Slight tea flavor.
M-Strong boozy feel. Lots of malt stickiness. Very good carbonation. Fairly sweet and very full bodied.
Overall, one of my favorite scotch ales. I think this would actually be a better beer if the alcohol were lower. I think the high alcohol takes away from some of the subtle flavors or caramel and chocolate. I look forward to this seasonal every year. (752 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Thanks to DaPeculierDane for this one, which reached me by way of Golden2wenty1's fridge. Lucky me.

Appearance: Beautiful rich dark chocolate brown, with nice ruby highlights. No real visibility. No head, nearly no suds either. Medium viscosity.

Aroma: Cream, chocolate and raisins. Great nuttiness, almost a peanut butter finish.

Taste: Creamy chocolate malts, with a raisin finish to the middle palate. Roasted espresso notes and raisins create an awesome nutty finish. Toffee and almost smoky developments. Amazingly smooth and balanced, with the booze being perfectly masked.

Mouthfeel: Heavy but devilishly smooth, with low carbonation and a nice malt finish. A little smokiness helps clean the palate.

Drinkability: This is amazingly drinkable for such a heavy beer. Balanced, smooth, with a belt that sneaks up on you. No wonder they used to call this Liqiud Reefer.... (891 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

This beer was poured into an Imperial pint glass from a 12 ounce brown bottle at 46º. One and one half fingers of light tan head resulted on top of the mahogany coloring. No dating appeared on the bottle.

Some malt aromatics were present with the first breath. A darker and brown malt aroma seemed to be present later.

There was a bitter taste with the first sip that took away from the sweetness of the malt. The malt taste is different and I would not classify it as sweet from any of the additional sips.

This beer lasted a little while with some lingering warmth after swallowing. Hangs to the upper back part of the mouth for quite a length of time.

Quite a bit of punch here which is probably due to the alcohol. I like the lasting flavors and slight lacing which also hung around for a while. Read some information on Louie Reserve and it looks like the alcohol at 9% to 10% is what I am sensing. I did not get the caramel either but then I don’t always know what I’m doing. Looks like I was lucky to pick up a six of this. (1,037 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Nice amber hue but with essentially no head even from a stiff pour.

The aroma is bready and malty - so far so good. Some hops. Mostly, though, not very strong at all.

The flavor shows some maltiness and quite a lot of alcohol and far too much bitterness. Some hop flavors as well.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with fine carbonation.

A shame about the excess bitterness and alcohol. (391 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

What a beer. What a freaking beer.
This scotch smells hugely of caramel, faintly of fresh baked sweet rolls, and alcohol looms in the distance. Almost un-noticed, but not quite. To not know the power of this beer could prove grand folly.
The flavor of this 'beaut follows suite with an initial wash of caramel. Chocolate, hay, and sod are moreso feelings than actual flavors which present themselves. This starts off being nearly as sweet as candy, but it is way too bad ass and lets you know it before you start to kid yourself. It is akin to the rough-around-the-edges-yet-well-intentioned kid that is the protagonist of every shitty teenage love story movie that you've ever seen. Difference being that at no point in time will Louie's Reserve suck ass. After the well wishing introduction, this thing really gets down to brass tacks. Burnt toffee and dark german chocolate walk with a grassy hop bitterness by their side. Hints of pumpernickel, tobacco, and mild beef jerky. Just when it would seem overboard, the caramel, the grass, and the ages wash it all away and say adios, compadre.
The mouthfeel of this beer fits like none other. Chewy, sticky, gritty, and dirty. It works, and works well.
Try washing your hands clean of this. This beer sticks in my head always. I long for it constantly and remember how much I enjoyed the last while drinking a lesser specimen. And yet, when I have it again, I am amazed by how good it is. It continually exceeds my expectations, which are always sky high from the get-go. This is an absolute favorite of mine. When this beer is outlawed, only outlaws will have this beer.
Seeya next fall, good buddy. (1,657 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

S - 12 oz. bottle, big thank you to andy, you sir, are the man.

A - Pours a deep red with a creamy light tan head. Lacing is great, looks are soft and extremely inviting. I feel like I could fall asleep on the head of this brew with no problem.

S - Bready, citric, tangy, slight alcohol in the there as well, dark fruity hits, fig, molasses, one of the more complex beers I've had the pleasure of smelling. Wow.

T - Caramel, roasted malt, great hop profile in there as well, fruits are well blended too, citrus, sugary.

M - Very good. Almost perfect to style.

D - Give me another, period. (603 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance- Pours a deep amber that nearly blocks all light coming through. Dark beige head billows up to nearly 3 fingers and makes for a pretty delightful brew to look at!

Aroma- Floral esters, light caramel, moderate herbal hops, juicy malt, and a hint of alcohol gives this brew a bit of a vinous character. Aroma makes my mouth water a bit...

Flavor- Big malty sweetness up front with notes of caramel and some tasty balancing herbal hop bitterness. Finishes surprisingly well balanced and with a wealth of malt complexity- caramel, soft burnt sugar, a touch of roast,

Mouthfeel- Slightly viscous, almost chewy, with some warming alcohol in the finish. Lingering malt bomb, though nice balancing hop bitterness. Full bodied, especially with the warming alcohol, though I keep coming back for another sip...

Overall- Quite nice for a Scotch Ale. Big beer but great balance and loads of complexity. Fun to drink but dangerous. Would be nice with some caramelized onion smothered, pan seared pork tenderloin. Already wish I would have bought more than one bottle... (1,072 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz Bottle

A: Dark amber in color. Medium carbonation, thin less than a finger head which clings to the glass.

S: Sweet roasted malt, dried fruit, dark brown sugar, light spice towards the end.

T: Dark malt in the start, followed by candied pecans, and sherry, not cloying, very enjoyable.

M: Slight sweetness, with a clean crisp finish.

D: Very drinkable, I would enjoy a few of these with a rich stewed game meal. (445 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

A- A dark ruby pour with a medium, almost white head. Very sticky lacing on the side of the glass. A good looking beer.

S-Strong scents of rich malt and a touch of vanilla. Little to no hop aroma. No problem.

T- Very smooth and delicious. Tastes like a buttery sweet vanilla biscuit drizzled in maple syrup. A little boozy too. A true scotch ale at heart but much bigger than what i'm used to. Is this barrel aged??

M-Sticky with little carbonation. I really enjoy the mouthfeel on this one.

O- A solid beer to keep an eye out for during the fall. To be honest, i feel like it used to have even more flavor when they were making it in smaller batches (they used to release like 1/4 as many cases as they do now). I still enjoy the rich malty flavor and its a great beer to lay down until late winter. (804 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

2006, Thanks to DaPeculiarDane for sending this 13 month old brew my way. I am in your debt. Split 3 ways with the brewhouse staff. They owe me for sharing this one (and better bring more midnight sun).

Looks like a brew that is content with its own perfection. Not too much going in the way of head but kicks up some bubbles when agitated.

I love the smell. If these reviews are meant to persuade people to scavenge for a product then trust me, seek this out. If there meant to describe in great detail the nuances, then, in this case, I don't know what to say.

Taste is rich and dank and bready. And sweet. Hops have mellowed into the assistant Grip role (important but hidden). Nip of alcohol at the end. Perfect.

Mouthfeel has devolved into a flat, syrup at this point as I try to stretch the four ounces I have into the better part of 30 min, but I remember it being just the right amount of soft carbonation in the beginning.

Drinkability is amazing. I only hope that my remaining bottles of '07 taste this good a year from now, as I will be saving them all with this on my mind.
___

2007, Thanks to my Dad for picking up a couple of sixers in Wisco for me.

Appearance is slightly darker than amber with decent head that keeps afloat until finished.

Aroma comes sweet and caramel with slight bit of alcohol.

Taste is hoppier and more alcohol than I remember, but, as a jaded hop freak, I like both of those qualities. No peat present.

Mouthfeel is bueno with not too much carbonation.

Drinkability is great, although if I had a choice, I would stick with the warp speed as my main beer for my brief, biannual visits to Madison. I guess it works out.

A-4 S-4 T-4.5 M-4.5 D-4 (1,691 characters)

Pours a translucent chocolate amber with a 1 finger head which dissipates quickly. Sweetness pours off the head of the beer, candy like, with a hint of booze. Chocolate, rich caramel, yeasty, some fig but much less estery than the warped speed. Big malt caramel, chocolate, toffee, candied sugar, pecans, nice sweetness with a balanced and mild bitterness. Finish is balanced, creamy, chewy and grainy malt, velvety finish, smooth and wonderfully rich all around, good stuff here. Excellent! (491 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Brown with a touch of red, translucent, very pretty.

S: Light on any nose, what I could smell was a bit malty, but otherwise the entire scent was nearly non-existent.

T: Fantastic! Powerful, full malt with slight yet perfectly blended hops.

M: A bit dry, but what's to be expected of a scotch ale.

D: It tastes so good, it'd be hard to have only one. Though dry, you could put a few of these down.

Overall: I loved this beer! I was a bit turned off by the smell, but as soon as I had a swig, I was totally impressed. The flavor has the distinct taste of malt and maybe some cocoa as well. The hops, though light, are blended perfectly. I'm not sure if this beer is sold anywhere but southwestern Wisconsin, but if you find yourself in Arena, WI, stop at any liquor store and pick some of this up. You'll be happy you did! (830 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Transparent with a slight haze, dark copper color with a cream colored head that does not last aside from the ring around the glass

S: Rich malty nose, caramel and almost a raisin smell. Very enjoyable for the style

T: Deep raisin/prune flavor, caramelized malts, mild hop flavor, mild peat/smokiness.

M: Body is medium-low, carbonation is moderate.

O: This is a great Scotch ale, it is very pleasant and easy drinking. (426 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

A red-brown, nearly opaque glass welcomed me on my first pour in over a week.
Slight malt, nutty, and some fleeing sweet caramel scents came through on first sniff.
On first taste, it is noticebly more full bodied than their Warped Speed offering. It was wet and mildy acidic on the way down. Definite tongue-smack quality present.
After a few more swallows, the warmth in my previously empty belly began to warm. The ABV was fairly well hidden despite the early acidity- that I attribute to not allowing the ale to warm fully.
The nuttiness becomes more present as it warms.

Although it was bit more than I wanted to spend (partly because the vendor), the ale is quite good and can see indulging again. (706 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a dark amber-brown with little head. Very little aromatics to give a sense of the beer. The mouthfeel is thicker than Warped Speed with much more intense dark flavors, leather and earth. This is a very good beer pushing to the edge of the Scotch ale spectrum, being a bit heavy to have more than one. It would have outstanding potential to be aged on oak. (361 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown shot with red highlights, murky as a lake and little tan head with low retention. It does have some legs that I can see in my large snifter glass.

Aroma: complex malts with notes of caramel, bread crust, nuts, and chocolate. Also with a little toffee, smoky/peat, earthiness, and some alcohol.

Taste: smooth, rich malts. sweet, caramel, nuts, bread, and hints of chocolate. The smokiness adds a bitter/dark chocolate sensation, also some fruits from the yeast add to malty sweetness. Some earthy hops are present but low. A bitterness finishes it out, preventing any cloying sweetness. Alcohol also dries it out.

Mouthfeel: body is lighter than expected, but still substantial. low/medium carbonation is very appropriate to style. a warming quality to the alcohol is present but not harsh, the slight bitterness lingers in the finish but overall I feel its well balanced for style.

A good, strong brew that I like to linger over. (950 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last