2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Santa's Butt - Ridgeway Brewing

Santa's ButtSanta's Butt

Ridgeway Brewing visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ybnorml on 11-25-2004)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Ratings: 373 | Reviews: 259 | Show All Ratings:
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev -10.6%

This beer looked interesting and vaguely amusing, and it was a gift, and it was Christmas Eve, so...

The beer was dark brown, with almost no head. Reminded me of Guinness draught.

The aroma was sweet, and reminded me of rum, with dark fruits and a light roast backdrop.

The taste was also like Guinness Draught in a way... it was smooth, and tasted of roasted malt, but it was somewhat flat and rather bland.

This was an easy drinking beer, though. It went down easy. Wouldn't go get another on my own, but I'd take another if it was given to me.

12-25-2004 05:46:00 | More by connecticutpoet
Ahhdball

3.15/5  rDev -7.6%

It's Christmas so I thought this would be a good gimmick to try. I'll confirm my thought that it was a gimmick.
Good dark brown and amber with a slight bit of light coming through when held to the light. No head.
Smell pine, burnt chestnuts, and small round of coffee.
Taste was bland and almost lifeless. Small hops with a bit of bark and smoothed malty flavor.
Light but slick mouthfeel which leaves a trace of chewy wood flavor.
I won't pursue this brew but would drink it again if given to me.

12-24-2004 03:56:09 | More by Ahhdball
Brent

Kentucky

I'm a sucker for a gimmicky name or label, and this beer has them both - Santa with his list in one hand, a beer in the other, and his posterior amply displayed. The label explains that the beer name has something to do with a "much loved children's storybook," but I can't recall ever hearing of Santa sitting on his butt and drinking beer. The label goes on in an attempt to legitimize the name with reference to barrels used to store beer. The label is almost as verbose as a Stone, but not nearly so amusing.

Poured a wonderful black, touched at the edges with ruby. Very little head, and that lasted mere seconds. Aroma was subdued - just a mild roasted malt. Mild roasted malt flavors, just a touch of smoke and chocolate. Mouthfeel is rather thin, with a little sweet slickness. Almost more of a sweet stout than a porter. Overall, this was just okay, but not at all festive.

12-14-2004 04:45:55 | More by Brent
Guinness4me

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

First we tried Bad Elf, then Very Bad Elf, and now Santa's Butt. All good little beers and not offensive at all. The appearance was very typical for an English Porter with it's coffee color and slight head.

My first smell was not impressive and my first thought was B.O., as in body odor. Hubby responded with something to the effect that it IS Santa's Butt. (Touche') The smell got a little better as it sat, getting maltier and sweeter.

The taste was sweet and malty with a slight hoppiness. I tasted a bit of chocolate and toffee. A good example of the beer type.

The mouthfeel was average and I will enjoy this Xmas brew again.

12-13-2004 00:29:09 | More by Guinness4me
frazbri

2.8/5  rDev -17.9%

Deep brown with ruby accents, short head that dissapates quickly. Chocolate aroma and little else. Chocolate malt and a hint of vanilla in flavor. Thin body with modest carbonation. Easy to drink.

I admit it. I bought Santa's Butt because of the label. That, and I am a fan of porters. If it's worth a giggle, buy one. The beer inside the bottle is mediocre.

12-11-2004 22:57:19 | More by frazbri
Kookiekwan

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer pours black with some crimson highlights if held to a light. It has very little head with no retention and little to no lacing. The aroma was of sweet toasted malt and coffee. The taste was roasted malt with hints of chocolate and caramel and a smokey flavor on the finish. This beer was medium bodied and very smooth.

Reflection: This is a good example of an English porter, but I don't know if I would want to have more than a couple of these in one sitting. After 2 I would want something with more body to it.

12-10-2004 21:10:44 | More by Kookiekwan
Stimack

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this brew on cast last evening at Mahar’s. Not a bad brew, poured to a black color but with a brownish tinge. Had a nice tan head that had fair retention and left some lacing. Chocolate is the scent that I was able to pick up right off along with some roasted or burnt malt. Not a bad smelling brew. The taste was fair, some nice chocolate and roasted flavors. The one thing that I noticed is that it seemed that the brew should have been thicker maybe. Over all it is a nice example of an English porter and one I would have again but do feel that there are better choices out there.

Serving type: cask

12-04-2004 12:29:50 | More by Stimack
CRJMellor

Arkansas

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours dark maroon, almost black with very thin tan head that fades very quickly leaving no lace.
Aroma has a chocolate and raisin nose with hints of roasted malts and some ringwood.
Flavor of sweet chocolate and dark fruits, fairly one dimensional.
Mouthfeel is sweet but very falt, lack of carbonation takes marks off.
Drinkability is average, just doesn't follow through. In my mind this was a beer that never belonged in a bottle, probably great on firkin and cask but somewhat wasted in a bottle. Kudos for a great label though.

12-03-2004 03:18:08 | More by CRJMellor
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

A very dark brown, almost black ale with ruby highlights.There is a small dark beige head that disappears quickly. Has a chocolate like malt aroma with hints of biscuit in the background. The flavor starts witha nice chocolate note and finishes with a light sweetness.

11-25-2004 03:18:26 | More by ybnorml