Santa's Butt - Ridgeway Brewing

United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: ybnorml on 11-25-2004

3.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Loud, gushing pour with crackling carbonation. Thin and short, light tan foam atop a brown root beer bottom with ruby red highlights. Decent.

Yeasty, fresh baked bread smell. Sweet malts. Hints of caramel. Touches of fruitiness, berries. Faint nose, struggling to find much else in this one as the bread/malts dominate the aroma. A little more complex as it warms, but I served this one @ 54.

Dark, roasted malt taste with loads of dark chocolate. Sweet, hazlenut on the tip of my tongue. Oak/wood profile in the flavor. Bits of lactic-like sourness round out the taste nicely with an inkling of dark fruit. Lingering biterness from roasted character. A bit carbonation heavy. Decent body with a bite in the finish and coffee bean taste lingering.

Nice winter brew, not phenomenal, but very enjoyable. A bit better than your average porter, with a nice warming quality.

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

A- very dark brown with very little head

S- roasted dark malty aroma

T – Not too heavy for such a dark beer malty somewhat sweet

M- Nice and smooth light carbonation

D- Very drinkable, nice on a cold winter night or an early spring with a slight breeze would get it again if I could find it locally.

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

I purchased this beer, not for myself, but for another family member who I thought would get a chuckle from the name and label. Unfortunately, given the current carry-on restrictions at our nation's airports, I wasn't able to bring this beer home over the holidays.

I have to say that I didn't expect much when sampling this beer. I figured that with a name like "Santa's Butt" and its low price, this beer would be more of a novelty than a tasty brew. In this respect, I'm happy to be wrong.

This beer pours a deep, dark brown, almost black color. Head development is thick and creamy, settling down to a nice surface covering. Everything about its appearance exemplifies the porter style. Smell is very aromatic with vanilla and a hint of bourbon. Sweet, malty overtones are present with very little hop character. Taste is sweet and malty with coffee notes. This beer exhibits a nice chocolate malt character and some bitterness at the back of the palate. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a little warming owed to the alcohol content. Overall, I was quite surprised at how good this beer turned out. My only disappointment is that I didn't have another bottle to try.

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a bottle on Christmas Eve into my Dogfish Tulip.

A - Very dark brown, very little lacing and about a one finger head on the pour

S - Light aroma that includes caramel malt, hints of vanilla and chocolate.

T - Taste is spot on with the aroma, light vanilla and chocolate hints. Very light and a basic English style porter. Nothing really jumping off on this one.

M - Thin with decent carbonation.

O - I bought this beer to drink for Christmas, Thankfully I wasn't aging or waiting to drink this beer. it was a impulse buy and it will probably sells more because of its name. The beer is decent, not terrible. I wouldn't seek it out again, but I'd drink it if it was around. Cheers!

3.71/5  rDev +9.4%

A- Thick, dark black, standard porter color, with a very small head and the top looks thin and slick

S- Coffee and chocolate and very smokey. It also has a black licorice scent which is new to me

T- Really smokey with lots of coffee. To my surprise and enjoyment, I do detect a bit of black licorice. Not bad

M- More thin than I expected with an initial bite but the aftertaste is smooth and refreshing

D- It's a really good beer but may start to weigh you down after a couple

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance:
Dark Reddish Brown with a creamy off white head that fell fairly quickly to a ring around the glass. Laces down the glass.

Smell:
Very sweet nutty roasted malts.

Taste:
Nicely sweet and a lingering roasted flavor. Very smooth and no bitterness.

Mouthfeel:
Got this as a gift from a friend who lost the bottle in the back of a cupboard. May explain the incredible smoothness and very light carbonation. Still very enjoyable.

Drinkability:
Pretty easy and smooth to drink. Very dense though and might have to stop after one or two.

Comment:
Curious to try a "fresh" one of these to see the difference. Held up pretty good to age and can only guess what a good one tastes like.

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Many thanks to chazwicke for providing this one.

Santa’s Butt? Hardly appetizing, to say the most. But I understand that the name comes from the very origins of Porter, when three beers would be blended into one to create the brew. Bottle conditioned, too – let’s hope it survived the journey Christmas eve!

APPEARANCE: Dark root beer brown; barely translucent even to light. Tight, fluffy tan head with lots of staying power.

AROMA: Bottle conditioned – yep. Yeast comes right through; guess this bottle didn’t set enough or something. Fair amount of chocolate in the nose, some dark fruit, biscuits.

FLAVOR: Roasty, almost smoky chocolate malt, somewhat metallic (yeast again?), some toffee, bits of black licorice (which gets much stronger as the beer warms), spent coffee grounds and lemongrass. Mild hop bitterness, not much. Clean finish. A pleasant mild sourness as it goes down.

MOUTHFEEL: Rather light; mellow mouthfeel. Nice.

DRINKABILITY: At 6% ABV it’s just right for a cold winter’s night waiting for your presents to arrive.

OVERALL COMMENTS: If you’re a chocolate and licorice fan, you’ll like this one. Not a bad way to while away an evening. But not one I’d be likely to seek out on a regular basis.

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Deep, dark, clear but nearly opaque mahogany. Thin off-white head, vanished quickly.

S- Malty, caramel notes, indiscernible faint hop aroma.

T- Smooth malt, caramel, almost toffee finished with a slight roast malt bite and a hint of licorice.

M- Smoothly carbonated, slightly thin mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

I assumed from the label that this was a holiday ale, so I was prepared for more body and spice. BUTT it turned out to be a lightly spiced porter that I enjoyed. Overall decent brew, but there are many other porters I’d search high & low for before this one.

3.14/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The appearance is very dark, with a slight mahogany hue when put to the light. Initial there is a nice creamy head which dissipates almost immediately. I would describe the aroma as musty, almost like a wet sock (not that I smell a lot of wet socks, but if I had to imagine what they smell like this would be it). I did like upfront toasted malt flavor. There is not much in the way of a hop presence but then again this is a porter. Overall, this is an average beer with a somewhat disagreeable aroma.

4.23/5  rDev +24.8%

A: Very dark but not thick like Guiness
S: Smells like chocolate and a little toffee
T: I paired this beer with chocolate covered pretzels and it was one of the best combos I have had. The sweetness of the beer was brought out with a smooth aftertaste.
M: Good, nice and smooth but the head wasn't as thick as I would have liked.
D: Perfect for a cold night with plenty of chocolate covered raisins or pretzels.

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

Foamy, tan head - a couple of fingers. Good lacing.

Very dark in color - pretty much black.

Smell of toasted caramel notes. A little coffee, maybe some chocolate in there. Something sweet and bitter also; could be cherries.

Decent mouthfeel. Toasty flavor. Mostly toasted malts with a hint of bitter chocolate and coffee.

Pretty good finish, leaves me wanting more, so drinkability is good.

A decent one in the Ridgeway line.

4.3/5  rDev +26.8%

Poured into standard English pint glass.

Appearance: Black with a reddish hue when held up to the light. This beer has about an inch of head that is off white and fades quickly carbonation seems to be moderate to low.

Smell: Roasted malts up front, some caramel.

Taste: Roasted malt flavor up front, some bitterness, caramel notes present as well as possibly some dark fruit type of notes.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is light, almost watery, smooth beer

Drinkability: Very easy drinkability, a nice beer for the holiday season, enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.51/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a bottle with the, recently, notorious label sporting Santa's...well, butt. Nice creamy, fluffy head sits over a dark porter with a few burgundy highlights. Average aroma with your standard chocolate malts and English hops. Nothing too pronounced here or in the, otherwise, run of the mill English porter taste. Not too exciting if you ask me.

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

pours a clear dark amber. decent head retention.

Slight fruit, bright caramel. Distinct english yeast and malt aromatics.

flavor reminiscint of cigarette smoke, tobacco and some spiciness. big roast in the finish.

full bodied but quite slick on the mouth.

singular, a bit smoky for my taste and not enough alcohol for the winter warmer style.

2.97/5  rDev -12.4%

appearance is typical for a porter, very dark, but a notch below average because of the lack of a frothy head as with Anchor's exeptional variety.

smell is good but nothing of note. subtle rosted malts, coffee, mocha-like, not overwhelming

taste: not strong, mild, subtle coffee, "drinkability" as they say. not too bitter or sweet, kinda pale. drinks like a stout

mouthfeel: low carbonation, not syrupy and as with the taste, low on bitterness and acidity.

I think I'm being generous with this rating but since there's worse out there average is appropriate. It's marketing and naming are far better than the beer but you didn't waste your money. Kissing your sister!

2.84/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours with an average head but falls pretty quickly. Color is a dark brown.

S: The smell is very pleasant with mostly coffee aromas.

T:A small amount of malt flavor with a pronounced amount of chocolate. Slightly bitter.

MF:Light body, but seems a little too thin.

Overall, it's okay but it isn't anything impressive and I wouldn't buy it again.

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

I can't lie. I saw news about this on my web-news ticker. There was a lot of hype about the label and how some states were thinking of banning the beer because of the lable. Soooo...when I saw it at Liquor Barn it was a must-buy.

The appearance is good...it pours dark (about as dark as a cola). There is a medium head and minimal lacing on the glass. The smell is good, in line with most porters.

I didn't rate this very high on taste (about a 3.5), but honestly porters are not my favorite type of brew. However, I found this to be very tasty and enjoyable for a porter.

The mouthfeel is good, it's very smooth.

I also didn't put it too high on drinkability (again a 3.5), BUT the only reason I did that was because it's somewhat filling AND as I mention earlier porters are not my favorite style.

This one is definitely worth the try, though. It's a pretty good brew IMO.

3.16/5  rDev -6.8%

3.72/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a dark ruby/rootbeer color with a little ivory white head that disapates into a tiny ring around the glass.
Aroma is raisins and dark fruit, mabye dates.
Taste does'nt live up to the aroma.
I was a bit disappointed in the taste and mouthfeel.
Was hoping for a bigger, more chewy mouthful.
Not bad, but, I'm not running out to buy a fridge full.

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%