Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

IPA - Ridgeway Brewing

Ridgeway Brewing visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: gentlebubbles on 05-01-2005

1.78/5  rDev -53.2%

Drank this one by myself. I wouldn't dare drag anyone else into this catastrophe.

Poured nicely, a very thin light goldish red, with little head and decent lacing.

Smells of malty sweetness, with some very slight floral background.

Taste is atrocious. Extremely bitter, almost to the point that I can't swallow it. It was similar to drinking a bottle of vinegar.

Didn't get much of the mouthfeel, because I couldn't stand having it in my mouth for long enough to judge.

I will never drink this again, and would not recommend wasting money on it.

1.85/5  rDev -51.3%

A thorough disappointment. Head foams up and disappears over toffee-to-amber beer with soda-like carbonation. The nose has hints of earthy and flowery hops.

Very little hops on the tongue. Tastes of bitter earthy hops with some mild suggestions of flowers. Really weak in many ways.

Worth avoiding.

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

My sample was in the early stages of infection. It tasted like my semi-infected beginner homebrew IPA’s. Very little character overall, with a light tart and sour nature, along with an unusually large head. This was a very fresh bottle, even for import standards, and I would imagine this will become much worse in the next few weeks/months.

Have had other samples of the Colorado batch recently and have formed the same opinion.

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a flat orange with a non-developing foamy capping that dissipated as quickly as it formed. Visible effervesce was strong with a ton of macro bubbles clinging to the glass walls before jet setting upwards. No lacing, no head, and a very little haze and came off looking more like an orange soda then a ipa.

S: On the nose was dry oranges and dry husky grains. Sweet caramel-orange candy notes are more forthright then any sense of hopping. The aroma started out fair enough but quickly became a non-factor after a few short minutes. Their pale ale (Ivanhoe) had a more promising display of hops then this, which came off disappointing despite the labels claim of using "large quantities of whole unprocessed hops"..yeah and miller is triple hopped brewed. A slight musky orange character is also present doing little to help matters.

T: The flavor was pale grains, dry with oranges and a slight yeasty muskiness similar more to a saison then an ipa. A candy sweetness is mixed in making for an odd combination. The malting was bready, one of the few highlights of this drink, with dried orange peels and only the faintest hints of English floral hops. Had more of a tart and sweet conflict going on with musky sickening candy notes. One final note here this beer was bought on close out which may have contributed to its weakening display of hops and carbonation, no date code was present.

M: The mouthful was bready with a thick orange juice like quality and texture. The carbonation was flat, boring and the hold all together boring. Lacked hops, crispness and any reason to hold this any longer then you need to.

D: Not impressed drinkability wise, was expecting an ipa and got a sweetened candy like orange drink instead. Wouldn't recommend or waste my time on. Uninteresting, and unfit per style with a sickening musky sweetness. Half way through I lost all interest or reason to finish.

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

Wow this beer really threw me for a loop. I could have sworn I ordered an IP and not a light beer. So I order theis beer, at first I think its from Massachusetts, but no its imported to Mass. from the UK. So yes I have only tried one EIPA and its from FFF but damn. So this beer pours a very light overly carbonated amber with no lacing. There is hardly any smell if any. The taste is like a light beer, I have a hard time beleiveing this beer is 5.5 %. There really is no hop flavor whatsoever and now malt base to it @ all, As stated before it tasted lie a light beer. The mouthfeel was ok, just overcarbonated. A very drinkable beer, but not something I would ever seek out as an IPA.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

Well, Well, Well - My first English IPA in a very long time. I'm so use to the greats out of the US, that I just felt a little weak to raise my hand to the top shelf and pick up a 1pt 9oz English IPA at the local liquor store. Maybe it was the traveling time that all Europe beers must go through - I just thought it was ok, my notes about say average. Maybe a tapped brew might have been betta - who knows? Anyway, getting back to the beer - The aroma was ok, typical Engish sent that I've scented in the past, but really only have had a handful of them.

The taste just wasn't there, don't get me wrong, it was ok, I've had worse, but I need something to jump up the blood cells a little. What I would not mind, is maybe, just maybe some pub in the Boston area that might carry it on tap, then I could swish and swash away. Well - all from me for now on this beer. If yah have a choice, go with a brew from Sam Smith - now there's a beer!

2.93/5  rDev -22.9%

This is a golden colored ale with a tall white head that retains well and provides decent lacing.
The aroma is nicely hoped with a slight malt presence.
The flavor is surprisingly sweet with a fruitiness that is followed by citrus hops.
Mouth feel is on the lighter side with ample carbonation.
This is a good beer, but is just a bit too sweet for an IPA.

3.11/5  rDev -18.2%

16 ounce pint - $6.75 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Nearly clear, toffee-colored body with a modestly-sized, white head.

Smell: Lightly scented dry maltiness in the aroma, with notes of pale malts, basic white bread, and an even more meager hint of toffee crisp. Subtle hoppiness giving off whiffs of earthy spices, citrus, and even a bit of pine.

Taste: Simple pale malts with a lightly sweet touch of toffee and a crunchy stale bread character. Spicy, earthy, citrus hops with a medium-light bitterness. Drying and bitter on the back half and until the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As with the rest of their line-up, it's no more than acceptably average. As always, I'd rather have myself a Sam Smith, though that doesn't help me on draft, as I very rarely seen their stuff on tap in my area.

3.23/5  rDev -15%

Light gold, lighter than I expected, pretty transparent overall (some fine yeast in the second pour) with a massive bottle-conditioned head. Laces are light but sticky on the sides of the glass. Cheesy sulfury aroma, quite sharp and possibly attributable to light effects as well as a hop influence. Light body, more than adequate carbonation, moderately gassy. Unlike many UK IPAs, this one is quite bitter, more than floral and mostly at the end -- almost a calcium carbonate/cement type of taste with some pithy elements. Malts are fairly weak and its tough to get by the pervasive smell as well. Relatively expensive single bottle, and not one I would pick up again.

3.26/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of light fruits, floral, some sweetness. Taste is light hops, malts, hints of tea, mild bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent beer, but nothing special.

3.29/5  rDev -13.4%

I think I have had the Ridgeway IPA before at Mahar's where it is referred to as Ridgeway APA.

Golden with a towering, solid white head. Not as bright as cask.

Tons of hop aroma. Very American IPA in smell. Also lots of sweet malt, with just a hint of citrus.

Biscuity malt. Slight lemon zest with some hop flavors and mild bitterness. The biscuit flavor lingers for a while. Tastes like a British take on the American PA. Its very good.

Way too much gas! There is a big CO2 bite that covers a lot of the flavor. I have de-gassed it a bit with a fork in order to rate flavor.

As is from the bottle, Ridgeway IPA is too carbonated to make it a session beer. Too bad, because on cask this is a winner.

3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to TomDecapolis for this...
Appears a transparent dark gold with a mild white head that fades quickly into a small collar.
Smell is Earthy, grassy, funky sweetness, overbrewed herbal tea.
Taste is sweet, grassy, and filled with lemony zest.
Mouthfeel is dry, funky, ugly, with a lemony tea like feel sticking to the palate.
Drinks a bit like yesterday's tea with a shot of lemon pledge.
****UPDATE 6/19/06****
I tried this one again and didn't get as much funkiness as in the first attempt to drink this. I may have had a bad bottle the first go around. I've found that this is a delicate, herbal, earthy tasting IPA that is very English.
Old Score:
A -3, S - 3, T - 2.5, M - 2.5, D - 2.5

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

I got these a few nights ago at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I let this warm slightly and served it in my NERAX pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a copper color with good clarity. A half-inch white head tops the beer briefly before it thins to a patchy layer and then disappears completely.

Smell: Nice malt aroma, with sweet fruits and a light resiny hop aroma. I expected more hops.

Taste: Sweet fruitiness greets the palate upfront, followed by a toasty maltiness, and a moderate hop bitterness in the finish. I think this beer is really lacking in hop character to balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, light-bodied and slightly thin.

Drinkability: Easy drinking with pleasant flavors.

Overall: There are some nice flavors in this beer, but in the end it's too sweet for an IPA.

3.44/5  rDev -9.5%

Served on tap at Moan and Dove. A murky, dark orange glow permeates from this beverage in a glass. Its smell is a bit weak and very faint smells of citrus are barely recognizable. It's taste was a great divide: it was both sweet and sour, lemon and orange flavors wrapped in one. This IPA was really light, almost near refreshing with its high carbonation. With its light smell, this is a very nice, light IPA that will not be too overpowering for people.

3.49/5  rDev -8.2%

Dark gold; almost brown....huge light tan head..very foamy..laces nicely.
Smells mostly of hops and some malt...no alcohol detected.
Tastes much lighter than I thought it would. Nice tasting floral hop...no sweetness at all..malty.
Very light mouthfeel... high carbonation...bitter finish, not unpleasant.
Pretty drinkable...this pint went quickly for me.
I'm a little disappointed in this one.. it's my first English IPA...maybe the flavor is just too subtle and mouthfeel too light for someone who likes DFH 60 and 90 min.

3.52/5  rDev -7.4%

I had this beer on tap at freakin frog in vegas. I was not familiar with and in fact did not know it was an English IPA from the UK until I looked it up. So intially, I though that it was not good. But that was becasue the English interpretation of the IPA is not up my alley as much as the american interpretation. Having said that I re-examiend my notes and bumped the rating up a notch and reviewed it to the style.

Appearance was off, I was suprised that the bartender at the frog poured this beer right tot he top of the pintglass with no head. Color was okay, burnt orange and clear.

Smell was nearly all malts baby, biscuit, carmel, and toast. The hops come through near the end of the sniff

Taste is well balcned with earthy and floral hops upfront and a solid carmel and biscuit malt backbone that follows through tot he end. There is no lingering bitterness.

Mouthfell was decent with a medim body and nice smooth carbonation

Drinkability is where I had to have the opportunity to put my tastes in I quess as this is the most subjective of the categories. I propaably would not have another unless it was the only non-BMC offering

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bubbly and frothy, the English IPA pours a pale amber, and the three-finger head rises to a billowy peak. I smell lots of citrus--lemon, rose hips--and a touch of ginger? After searching, the slight buttery wafts to the nose, but you really have to be looking for it (unlike most of the English IPA I am accustomed to). There's an unusual smokiness to the taste, something I found unexpected given the tart redolence and, frankly, a wee bit disappointing because I was expecting something fresher. The finish is earthy, yet the mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. The second and third tastes are better, and I'm getting more of the hops at the outset.

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

The beer is clear and light orange amber, an off-white head with little lacing and curtains.

The smell has toffee and nuts, pears and grass in it.

The taste starts sweet, brown bread, fruity notes, lemon, apples, and a seedy bitterness.

Medium high carbonation, small lively bubbles, refreshing but with slightly coarse dry ending.

A very mellow and pleasant English IPA, almost in the bitter area. That's nice.

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Very very nice dark golden color to it. A great amount of head retention.

S - Didn't pick up a heavy hop aroma. However it is still present, but just in a light character. Considering this is an English variety, that is perfectly fine and in styling guidelines. Pleasant aroma.

T - This was a very pleasant surprise. It had a nice hoppy profile balanced out nicely with the maltiness of the Maris Otter. Definately can pick up on the English Ale flavors in it and the heavy use of what I assume to be English hop varieties. It finishes rather well. The flavor is very unique and it was quite a surprise that I enjoyed.

M - medium-full to full body I would say. As the beer warmed up, I'd say more to the medium side of it. Finished fairly dry which was nice.

D - I really enjoyed this one. I was really pleasantly surpised. It is quite drinkable and I would recommend it. It is hard to say what I'd pair it with, but something a bit lighter than a typical American IPA.

Try it out.

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

This IPA looked good on the pour- cloudy golden with bits of yeast clinging to the glass and a monstrous head. Scents were overwhelmingly citrusy hops- tatse was same with hints of pineapple and orange. The hop profile was very interesting- hard at first but quickly fading, leaving no bitterness on the tongue, just flavor. Though I like that signature hop backlash, the lack of it here did not detract. The mild flavors were balanced by the pronounced yeasty tang and mustiness. Despite the loads of carbonation it was refreshing and very drinkable.

3.71/5  rDev -2.4%

@ Redbones 11/27.

Clear, still honey color with a thin white head. Glass bottom retention leaves chunky lace to blankets one the sides. Aroma is of peppery lemon: kinda kitchen spice like thyme. Taste is thin cracker malt with a never before experienced (for me at least) dry menthol hop. Somewhat thin and brittle, once I got used to it I really enjoyed this fine English lass.

3.71/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Cloudy gold. Head not terribly thick, but retains pretty well.

S - I catch a little grass and earth, along with a few whiffs of alcohol. A little buttery. Not quite as aromatic as I'd hoped.

Tastes good, though. A *little* bit of sour funk comes through here to a different hop character than what I'm used to, even among other English IPAs. This is a tobacco-y hop flavor - doesn't scrape the tongue superficially with bitterness, but it's there. This beer is also throwing off some esters that I'm struggling to recognize. Interesting and novel.

Feel is OK - seems well-bodied enough to me.

Drinkability - broken record time with English IPAs, this isn't as good as Meantime's IPA, but I'd session it. Give it to me in cask, all the better.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Golden orange, rather clear. White head that settles into a small layer of lacings.

S: Some malts, bread and hop aromas with grapefruit as the most distinct component.

T: Plenty of malty sweetness, caramel, biscuits and some fruity flavors. Some pine-needles, floral hop notes and a somewhat bitter finish with gentle spices. Good balance between sweetness and bitterness.

M: Medium body, quite crisp.

D: A rather good English IPA. However, English IPA:s are a totally different breed than the American ones and compared to some American IPA:s this comes out a bit anonymous. But it's still very refreshing and drinkable, nonetheless.

3.78/5  rDev -0.5%

17 oz picked up at the Coop today for a very pricey $5.20 .. poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Very nice creamy looking 2 finger head ... brew is a hazy honey color.

Aroma is very assertive .. floral/grassy hoppiness ... even touches of lemon .. smells bitter and hoppy .. Not as much pale malt as expected .... I would actually appreciate a little more malt and a touch more yeasty fruitiness.

Flavor is bracing hoppy the melts stubbornly into slight pale maltiness and just touches of caramel and then quickly into a drying herbal and citric hoppiness... finishes pretty dry and abruptly. Smooth mouthfeel but a little light ... fine bubble carbonation.

This is good ... but I really think it could use more malts to balance out the hop flavors ... Still pretty damn good though.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

11/08/08- Given to me by my wife as part of a beer birthday present.

Presentation- 500ml bottle, did not check for freshness info. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Nice amber colored pour with a large one inch plus head. Left good patchwork and webby lace.

Smell- Really fresh hops that smell more american than english. Not really grapefruit, but a citrus base. Malt is toasted but the scent comes through mostly in hops.

Taste- Very relaxed and laid back. Citrus and tea leaf hops mix well with the lightly toasted malt base. About an even mix of hops and malts. Niether one takes initiative.

Mouthfeel- Medium to lower crisp carbonation level. Short lasting, but pleasant hoppy aftertaste.

Drinkability- All in all a very nice english ipa. I would have no problem drinking one of these again.

IPA from Ridgeway Brewing