IPA - Ridgeway Brewing

IPAIPA

Ridgeway Brewing visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: gentlebubbles on 05-01-2005)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
tittymcj

Connecticut

1.65/5  rDev -56.6%

Drank this one by myself. I wouldn't dare drag anyone else into this catastrophe.

Poured nicely, a very thin light goldish red, with little head and decent lacing.

Smells of malty sweetness, with some very slight floral background.

Taste is atrocious. Extremely bitter, almost to the point that I can't swallow it. It was similar to drinking a bottle of vinegar.

Didn't get much of the mouthfeel, because I couldn't stand having it in my mouth for long enough to judge.

I will never drink this again, and would not recommend wasting money on it.

01-30-2009 18:39:16 | More by tittymcj
salvo

Indiana

1.83/5  rDev -51.8%

A thorough disappointment. Head foams up and disappears over toffee-to-amber beer with soda-like carbonation. The nose has hints of earthy and flowery hops.

Very little hops on the tongue. Tastes of bitter earthy hops with some mild suggestions of flowers. Really weak in many ways.

Worth avoiding.

07-10-2011 19:43:00 | More by salvo
ConradKenney

Maryland

04-03-2014 20:18:20 | More by ConradKenney
Crosling

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

My sample was in the early stages of infection. It tasted like my semi-infected beginner homebrew IPA’s. Very little character overall, with a light tart and sour nature, along with an unusually large head. This was a very fresh bottle, even for import standards, and I would imagine this will become much worse in the next few weeks/months.

Have had other samples of the Colorado batch recently and have formed the same opinion.

03-22-2006 06:17:13 | More by Crosling
beerthulhu

2.55/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a flat orange with a non-developing foamy capping that dissipated as quickly as it formed. Visible effervesce was strong with a ton of macro bubbles clinging to the glass walls before jet setting upwards. No lacing, no head, and a very little haze and came off looking more like an orange soda then a ipa.

S: On the nose was dry oranges and dry husky grains. Sweet caramel-orange candy notes are more forthright then any sense of hopping. The aroma started out fair enough but quickly became a non-factor after a few short minutes. Their pale ale (Ivanhoe) had a more promising display of hops then this, which came off disappointing despite the labels claim of using "large quantities of whole unprocessed hops"..yeah and miller is triple hopped brewed. A slight musky orange character is also present doing little to help matters.

T: The flavor was pale grains, dry with oranges and a slight yeasty muskiness similar more to a saison then an ipa. A candy sweetness is mixed in making for an odd combination. The malting was bready, one of the few highlights of this drink, with dried orange peels and only the faintest hints of English floral hops. Had more of a tart and sweet conflict going on with musky sickening candy notes. One final note here this beer was bought on close out which may have contributed to its weakening display of hops and carbonation, no date code was present.

M: The mouthful was bready with a thick orange juice like quality and texture. The carbonation was flat, boring and the hold all together boring. Lacked hops, crispness and any reason to hold this any longer then you need to.

D: Not impressed drinkability wise, was expecting an ipa and got a sweetened candy like orange drink instead. Wouldn't recommend or waste my time on. Uninteresting, and unfit per style with a sickening musky sweetness. Half way through I lost all interest or reason to finish.

01-25-2010 23:11:57 | More by beerthulhu
Biggness

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%

Wow this beer really threw me for a loop. I could have sworn I ordered an IP and not a light beer. So I order theis beer, at first I think its from Massachusetts, but no its imported to Mass. from the UK. So yes I have only tried one EIPA and its from FFF but damn. So this beer pours a very light overly carbonated amber with no lacing. There is hardly any smell if any. The taste is like a light beer, I have a hard time beleiveing this beer is 5.5 %. There really is no hop flavor whatsoever and now malt base to it @ all, As stated before it tasted lie a light beer. The mouthfeel was ok, just overcarbonated. A very drinkable beer, but not something I would ever seek out as an IPA.

09-24-2008 00:36:26 | More by Biggness
phishbone23

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

01-23-2013 17:02:46 | More by phishbone23
jcipa88

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Well, Well, Well - My first English IPA in a very long time. I'm so use to the greats out of the US, that I just felt a little weak to raise my hand to the top shelf and pick up a 1pt 9oz English IPA at the local liquor store. Maybe it was the traveling time that all Europe beers must go through - I just thought it was ok, my notes about say average. Maybe a tapped brew might have been betta - who knows? Anyway, getting back to the beer - The aroma was ok, typical Engish sent that I've scented in the past, but really only have had a handful of them.

The taste just wasn't there, don't get me wrong, it was ok, I've had worse, but I need something to jump up the blood cells a little. What I would not mind, is maybe, just maybe some pub in the Boston area that might carry it on tap, then I could swish and swash away. Well - all from me for now on this beer. If yah have a choice, go with a brew from Sam Smith - now there's a beer!

08-08-2007 01:54:55 | More by jcipa88
Naes

2.93/5  rDev -22.9%

This is a golden colored ale with a tall white head that retains well and provides decent lacing.
The aroma is nicely hoped with a slight malt presence.
The flavor is surprisingly sweet with a fruitiness that is followed by citrus hops.
Mouth feel is on the lighter side with ample carbonation.
This is a good beer, but is just a bit too sweet for an IPA.

04-20-2006 00:38:41 | More by Naes
aztraz

Sweden

04-05-2012 15:40:13 | More by aztraz
MelissaMonosoff

12-16-2012 01:14:18 | More by MelissaMonosoff
ChainGangGuy

3.1/5  rDev -18.4%

16 ounce pint - $6.75 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Nearly clear, toffee-colored body with a modestly-sized, white head.

Smell: Lightly scented dry maltiness in the aroma, with notes of pale malts, basic white bread, and an even more meager hint of toffee crisp. Subtle hoppiness giving off whiffs of earthy spices, citrus, and even a bit of pine.

Taste: Simple pale malts with a lightly sweet touch of toffee and a crunchy stale bread character. Spicy, earthy, citrus hops with a medium-light bitterness. Drying and bitter on the back half and until the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As with the rest of their line-up, it's no more than acceptably average. As always, I'd rather have myself a Sam Smith, though that doesn't help me on draft, as I very rarely seen their stuff on tap in my area.

07-21-2010 22:22:32 | More by ChainGangGuy
ADR

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Light gold, lighter than I expected, pretty transparent overall (some fine yeast in the second pour) with a massive bottle-conditioned head. Laces are light but sticky on the sides of the glass. Cheesy sulfury aroma, quite sharp and possibly attributable to light effects as well as a hop influence. Light body, more than adequate carbonation, moderately gassy. Unlike many UK IPAs, this one is quite bitter, more than floral and mostly at the end -- almost a calcium carbonate/cement type of taste with some pithy elements. Malts are fairly weak and its tough to get by the pervasive smell as well. Relatively expensive single bottle, and not one I would pick up again.

08-02-2005 22:27:54 | More by ADR

04-29-2013 06:39:02 | More by ALBuff
krberg

Oregon

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

I think I have had the Ridgeway IPA before at Mahar's where it is referred to as Ridgeway APA.

Golden with a towering, solid white head. Not as bright as cask.

Tons of hop aroma. Very American IPA in smell. Also lots of sweet malt, with just a hint of citrus.

Biscuity malt. Slight lemon zest with some hop flavors and mild bitterness. The biscuit flavor lingers for a while. Tastes like a British take on the American PA. Its very good.

Way too much gas! There is a big CO2 bite that covers a lot of the flavor. I have de-gassed it a bit with a fork in order to rate flavor.

As is from the bottle, Ridgeway IPA is too carbonated to make it a session beer. Too bad, because on cask this is a winner.

07-25-2005 19:47:48 | More by krberg
weeare138

3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to TomDecapolis for this...
Appears a transparent dark gold with a mild white head that fades quickly into a small collar.
Smell is Earthy, grassy, funky sweetness, overbrewed herbal tea.
Taste is sweet, grassy, and filled with lemony zest.
Mouthfeel is dry, funky, ugly, with a lemony tea like feel sticking to the palate.
Drinks a bit like yesterday's tea with a shot of lemon pledge.
****UPDATE 6/19/06****
I tried this one again and didn't get as much funkiness as in the first attempt to drink this. I may have had a bad bottle the first go around. I've found that this is a delicate, herbal, earthy tasting IPA that is very English.
Old Score:
A -3, S - 3, T - 2.5, M - 2.5, D - 2.5

02-24-2006 22:40:28 | More by weeare138
EPICAC

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

I got these a few nights ago at Downtown Wine & Spirits. I let this warm slightly and served it in my NERAX pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a copper color with good clarity. A half-inch white head tops the beer briefly before it thins to a patchy layer and then disappears completely.

Smell: Nice malt aroma, with sweet fruits and a light resiny hop aroma. I expected more hops.

Taste: Sweet fruitiness greets the palate upfront, followed by a toasty maltiness, and a moderate hop bitterness in the finish. I think this beer is really lacking in hop character to balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, light-bodied and slightly thin.

Drinkability: Easy drinking with pleasant flavors.

Overall: There are some nice flavors in this beer, but in the end it's too sweet for an IPA.

06-07-2006 03:35:00 | More by EPICAC
fitzy84

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Served on tap at Moan and Dove. A murky, dark orange glow permeates from this beverage in a glass. Its smell is a bit weak and very faint smells of citrus are barely recognizable. It's taste was a great divide: it was both sweet and sour, lemon and orange flavors wrapped in one. This IPA was really light, almost near refreshing with its high carbonation. With its light smell, this is a very nice, light IPA that will not be too overpowering for people.

11-16-2007 22:51:20 | More by fitzy84

nosavingsaccount

03-25-2013 01:36:14 | More by nosavingsaccount
jackorain

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

I had this beer on tap at freakin frog in vegas. I was not familiar with and in fact did not know it was an English IPA from the UK until I looked it up. So intially, I though that it was not good. But that was becasue the English interpretation of the IPA is not up my alley as much as the american interpretation. Having said that I re-examiend my notes and bumped the rating up a notch and reviewed it to the style.

Appearance was off, I was suprised that the bartender at the frog poured this beer right tot he top of the pintglass with no head. Color was okay, burnt orange and clear.

Smell was nearly all malts baby, biscuit, carmel, and toast. The hops come through near the end of the sniff

Taste is well balcned with earthy and floral hops upfront and a solid carmel and biscuit malt backbone that follows through tot he end. There is no lingering bitterness.

Mouthfell was decent with a medim body and nice smooth carbonation

Drinkability is where I had to have the opportunity to put my tastes in I quess as this is the most subjective of the categories. I propaably would not have another unless it was the only non-BMC offering

03-30-2007 20:35:38 | More by jackorain