Ginger Barrel-Aged Brrrbon ‘13 - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 49 | Reviews: 10
Reviews by jeffjeff1:
3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- reddish brown color, thin head, nice lacing

Smell- malt, ginger, maybe some hops but not much

Taste- mostly ginger, pretty good

Mouthfeel- medium to full bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. Mostly a ginger flavor which I thought was pretty good. Also it wasn't too strong which can drive me away sometimes.

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Engine 15 in JAX.

Very smooth, considering the ABV and the substantial dose of hot ginger.
Someone got carried away with ginger, this dominates but, thankfully, does not completely mask other aspects of the ale. Most notable is medium roast malts.
Ultimately, too much ginger.
(revised with bottle in June 2014)

2.37/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

The base Brrrbon is there, coming out more as it warms, but the flavor is dominated by an unappealing acidic/bitter flavor. I can't taste ginger at all, but it has to be that addition.

2.16/5  rDev -37.8%

My wife and I shared this one. It seemed interesting with the Ginger. We've been drinking Winter Warmers and were excited about this one. I'm not the ginger fan my wife is and she said it smelled like an IPA, which we don't do. It only tasted like soap to me, which is normal being a sushi fan. I don't use the ginger. I wouldn't buy this one again.

4.52/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ginger barrel. awesome job guys

3.32/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This one is interesting. The first sip or two was a little off putting yet it got better. The ginger prevalent all through out this beer.

The aroma is ginger mixed with the smell of cheap whiskey. Not sure if the the ABV is why there is a strong alcohol smell or a combination of the bourbon barrel and ABV.

The appearance is nothing special but it is not terrible either. It is a medium brown color with a good inch layer of head.

The taste is definitely unique. The first sip or two I was a little confused, very strong ginger flavor the bourbon flavors were not there, but after a few more the bourbon flavors really showed up. It is a unique beer the ginger, caramel flavors is great.

Overall it really reminds me of a whiskey ginger. If you enjoy whiskey gingers this is definitely a must. If you enjoy bourbon this will not disappoint. The smell is not the greatest bourbon smell but it drinks like a whiskey ginger and I feel that is what they were trying to accomplish.

2.55/5  rDev -26.5%

The flavor was just off. I am a fan of ginger. This just did not work for me. I will give it to Widmer in trying this, and others may like it, but for me, it just did not work. I would not be able to finish a pint, and am glad that I was able to sample it. 4 ounces was more than enough for me.

2.76/5  rDev -20.5%

A: Head is off white and formed about a finger tall when poured with moderate vigor into a snifter glass. It slowly, but immediately began to fall and left behind a gooey looking foam lacing on the edge of the glass. The beer is dusty brown color like worn in leather. Moderately hazy, with some alcohol legs when the glass is agitated.

S: Very pronounced fresh ginger aroma. Some caramel and toasted malts come out underneath along with darker raisin and prunes notes. No hop aroma detected. Not really getting a barrel characteristic from the nose either.

T: Heavy ginger flavor with moderate caramel malts and a very english character. I'm getting some tannins that are coming off a bit harsh but not really getting any oak or vanilla barrel flavors. Lower bitterness with no detectable hop flavors emerging. The balance is sweet on the malt side.

M: Bigger bodied mouthfeel with medium levels of carbonation. The tannins give a moderate amount of astringency that make it less drinkable.

O: A ginger forward, english centric beer with very little (if any) bourbon barrel character. Disappointed with this one. I actually thought it was a stout, but then it poured like an old ale or barley wine. The ginger flavor was a bit much for me and the barrel was not enough.

2.97/5  rDev -14.4%

No barrel just ginger. The ginger isn't the only thing here, but I would recommend that you toss that pink stuff off of your sushi platter and just use this instead. More characters needed. It tastes like a mild barley wine that was filtered through that pink stuff that you threw away from your gas station sushi platter. Overall --MEH

2.86/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Waxed bomber split into Deschutes tulips.

A: Mahogany/red body, clear, with a light off-white cap that laces decently.

S: Overwhelmingly gingery for a beer, but other aromas poke through...coconut/sunscreen aromas as well as bourbon, vanilla, caramel. The sweetness is overpowering and unique.

T: More of the same, drinking 'sunscreen' comes to mind. Lots of ginger with that artificial coconut flavor, with underlying notes of vanilla and some alcohol from the bourbon barrels I'm guessing.

MF: Medium-full bodied, nothing to knock or praise here.

O: Uniqueness doesn't balance out the overwhelming nature of the ginger. I like ginger, ginger beer, and whiskey-ginger mixed drinks, but this didn't work for me.

to view more.