Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

alcohol by volume: 4.9%
original gravity: 11.75° PLATO

Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 778 | Hads: 1,979
3.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy and orange/gold/yellow with visible, yet tiny bits of hop/wheat floating about. One of the murkier beers I've had. Almost no head on pouring from a 12oz bottle in a tilted glass, but steady flow of CO2. Smells almost earthy, which is probably how I'm interpreting the grassiness, along with an obvious presence of citrus. Not catching the "banana" myself. Aroma is malt/wheaty, as is the taste. Citrus flavor is such that I feel a lemon garnish would be unnecessary, but never hurts. Good summer beer on a hot day. Probably won't go out of my way for it in the future, but drinkable and pleasant enough.

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a cloudy medium golden yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and faint honey orange highlights. The beer has a half finger fizzy foamy off-white head that reduces to a small patch of thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of wheat malts and citrus/lemon with a light aroma of grassy + herbal hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of wheat and bready malts with a hint of sweetness. That is followed by light flavors of lemon citrus and a light flavor of grassy + herbal hops which imparts a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Light bodied with slightly more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp and smooth.

O: Light and refreshing, easy to drink but not quite as flavorful as some of the other beers in this style (especially the German options). Alcohol is well hidden.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Has a cloudy orange-yellow color, smell and taste of bananas, tastes lighter than most hefeweizens. It's not one of the better Widmer Brothers beers, but overall not a bad beer to have once in a while.

3.99/5  rDev +23.1%

A light and easy drinking hefeweizen. Pours a murky yellow-gold in color. Notes of grass, hay and banana mostly fill the profile here. Bready and lightly spiced.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Definitely a wheat beer, but to call this a Hefeweizen--unless the 6 pack I had was a bad batch--is misleading. None of the banana or clove notes found in say, Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis, or Weihenstephaner hefe. The head is a nice cloudy white, with some lacing that hangs around for awhile. Mouthfeel is somewhat effervescent and refreshing, but lacking compared to nearly every one of the beers I've familiarized myself with representing this style. The beer appears cloudy and has the typical yeast settled at the bottom of the bottles. Flavor is extremely hop forward, reminding me of a Belgian IPA. IBUs are listed at 30, which I would need to investigate in order to compare to other hefeweizens. I know the brewery markets this as an American hefe...could this account for the atypical bitterness? I don't taste any fruity notes, and outside of appearance, the wheat backbone of a typical Hefeweizen is absent. I would not buy again, other than if I could get a single bottle or on draft to see if my six-pack happened to be a bad one. Certainly unique, but not in a good way.

This beer is always been best when it is fresh. I've started appreciating it more after trying at the brewery. My previous aversion to it could have been due to bad experience with old bottles. This beer is unique among hefes being a pioneering American craft beer. It's not your traditional yeast fruity flavors and is smooth and clean. Refreshing and satisfying.

Pours a light copper with a rather forgettable head. Aroma is faint, mostly grainy sweetness and a touch of citrus and yeast. Taste is uneven, the fruit coming and going quickly, leaving the wheat dominating the flavor for most of the swallow. Mouth feel is quite thin and watery, which doesn't do much to make the flavors stick, which might be why they feel so off to me.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a wheat and fruit smell, nothing spectacular
Appearance- Pours a murky gold with a small white head.
Taste- Has more of a malt flavor than wheat mixed with some fruit, it is ok.
Palate- A light to medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation.
Overall- An average Hefeweizen.

3.46/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served on draft. Clear and pale orange, a bit off for a hefe. Only aroma was from the orange slice. Bitter taste was a touch of malt, not bad. Mouthfeel was average. Not bad for an American hefe, not not spectacular.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: hazy; medium gold in color; less than a 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; OK lacing;

S: bread, clove, and banana;

T: quite different from the nose; water cracker for a moment, then lightly sweet malt; a little floral; virtually no bitterness; as it warmed, the clove and banana became noticeable from mid-palate through the finish;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: this tasted more like a pilsner until it began to warm up;

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Color, cloudiness seem to be on par for a nice hefe, but that's where it ends. This beer had a decent aroma that got me a little excited but that's about it. Fully carbonated with lots of orange. A little too much carbonation for a hefe, and the fruity yeast esters that I was looking for are not there. An ok beer, but not what I consider a stellar hefeweizen.....

3.12/5  rDev -3.7%

My first Hefeweizen. It's a cloudy light thick orange color. The taste is almost fruity, and has lots of up front flavor. It finishes with a sickly sweetness. The beer is filling and I'd only have one in a sitting. Decent, but not spectacular. Reminds me vaguely of Blue Moon.

3.57/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A 22 ounce bomber poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance - A hazy orange color. Big white lumpy head. Good stickage.

Smell - Slightly sour. Mild citrus smell.

Taste - Slight Belgian sour flavor. Mild citrus note. Grassy. The malt plays second fiddle.

Mouth - Weak.

Overall - Not much going on here.

4.22/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, deep, bright orange color with an eighth of a finger of white-colored head that completely dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that gripped the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Nice aromas of toasted wheat and orange citrus, honey, as well as some subtle aromas of spices, such as coriander, black pepper, saffron and ginger.

Taste: Delicious! Strong flavors of toasted wheat and malt barley up front, followed by lots of honey-like sweetness and lemon and orange-like citrus. There are also lots of spice flavors such as black pepper, coriander, saffron, a touch of ginger and finally, a touch of grassy, piney hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and very smooth, as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 4.9%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: What a delicious beer! And so surprising! I was expecting a traditional hefewiezen beer, redolent with aromas and flavors of banana, bubblegum and band-aids (which are usually the reasons I don’t like most hefeweizens), yet this hefeweizen beer has none of those. It tastes much more like a Belgian saison than a hefeweizen. Had I not poured it out of the bottle myself, I would never have known/guessed it was a hefeweizen. I’ll certainly get it again!

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Not your typical clove banana aroma more strait yeast. Light in color with a nice haze to it, quick diminishing head. Very low bitterness to it. Kinda get some wheat flavor to it but on this bottle im not getting the typical mellow clove flavor. I don't know not my favorite Hefe that's for sure.

Carbonation is fairly intense. Taste is strongly wheaty with only a bit of lemon in the background providing any depth in flavor. A mild but still significant bitter aftertaste.

IMO, this tastes much more like an American Wheat Ale than a Hefeweizen. But regardless of its category, I think it lacks flavor and is too bitter on the back end.

I remembered liking Widmer Hef in the past, but maybe my tastes have changed since then. After this recent experience, I'll be avoiding this brew. :(

3.19/5  rDev -1.5%

Wheat, grain, a touch of lemon in aroma. Grainy, wheat backbone, minerally flavor, with a bitter, earthy finish. Not much hefe character. Didn't get the bottle sediment, though.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

A: Hazy yellow-orange body with a 1 1/2 inch white head.
S: Yeasty. Hints of Lemon and Orange.
T: Follows the nose. White bread. Yeastiness. Citrus juice. Banana and clove notes are not very present, if at all. Bit of alcohol in the finish.
M: Light and crisp. Very refreshing. Not much in the way of flavor though.
O: Nothing stands out in this beer, and I wish I could get more of the banana and clove notes usually found in Hefeweizens. Might be good on a summer day, but nothing really impresses me with this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

05/09/12 A pretty pour w/serious body. Not exactly summerstock, but not unplesant. I guess it's something to ease in & out of summer with. If that sounds undecided, I am.

4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

I have always been a big fan of Widmer Brothers and this is the beer that got me started, easily one of my favorite Hefeweizens, easy to drink, not too heavy.

3.36/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Cloudy golden amber in color. head goes on for days and is slow to dissipate. 4.25/5

S - Very subdued banana, clove, white bread, biscuit, and butter. Ever so slight hint of herbal hops. 3.25/5

T - Extremely subdued here. Essentially the same as the aroma with virtually no hop flavor. 3.25/5

M - Very creamy. Medium bodied. Definitely a wheat beer. Low to medium carbonation. 3.75/5

O - somewhat disappointed in this beer. flavor and aroma are extremely subdued. definitely a Hef with the notes of banana and clove but not a whole lot going on. will not buy again. 3.25/5

3.07/5  rDev -5.2%

Served from a 12 oz bottle.

Pours a semi-opaque coppery orange with a substantial off white head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving about a quarter inch of foam.

Aroma is disappointingly faint, featuring none of the classic banana bubblegum notes I associate with this style. Basically all that is to be picked up is a muted wheaty, malty presence. While it is not unpleasant, it is certainly underwhelming.

Taste is basically a continuation of this trend, which is to say that what is there is pleasing, but I wish there were a lot more of it. Wheat and malt notes are in the fore, but far too muted to make much of an impact.

Mouthfeel is actually above average here. This beer is fairly substantial yet still very smooth and easy drinking. Carbonation is vey pleasant and invigorating.

Overall, this beer is pleasant, and would be appealing on a very hot summer day when you are looking for something to quench your thirst. That said, there are several other beers that are far more satisfying and representative of this style.

1.94/5  rDev -40.1%

I really, really dislike this beer.
The appearance of this beer was the first warning that I was in for big trouble. I tend to like strong, bitter ales, so imagine how I felt pouring this out into my glass only to see a very bright yellow liquid. I took a deep breath as I continued to pour, trying to convince myself that everything would be okay.
The smell was very wheaty with vague hints of ripe fruit. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either.
The taste was absolutely horrible. The first thing I tasted was something very sweet, I took a look at the bottle afterwards to confirm that what I was drinking did indeed have alcohol in it. I took one more sip and focused on the tones. It reminded me of bubblegum, and not just a little bit, but like I was drinking liquid bubble tape. As the bubblegum faded out the taste that stayed on my back palate was mildly of apricot. It was a total surprise given the smell of the beer.
Mouthfeel for me was poor. It felt very weak, and while the one positive was that it went down easily, I really didn't feel like I was drinking a beer at all. It felt very watered down and left a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall, I can't see myself ever drinking this beer again. I understand not everyone likes bitter ales, and that some people really do love this beer, but I can't seem to find much positives with it.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy yet substantial in its appearance this Hefe had an almost brown/orange like hue. The head was foamy and tight but ebbed away quickly.

Light wheat and bubblegum sweetness on the nose.

The flavor is very light and at times undiscernable. More wheat is tasted, earthy and starchy, with some yeast aspects. Bubblegum-like sweetness and a seltzer water come near the finish.

The feel is sprite and prickly but easy to drink. Nothing seems to sit on the stomach so you can tackle a few in a row.

Not the most vibrant of Hefe's this does play into some of my preferences. I prefer less clove like flavors and there was none to make this a decent choice.

Okay, first thing is first, a by the book hefeweizen this is not. I really don't know how it is even listed as such, more like an American Pale Wheat. The traditional hefeweizen characteristics are not present here. That tidbit aside though, and you get the following summation of this delicious brew.

This is a very refreshing and delightful brew. Cloudy golden yellow in appearance with a thick fluffy white head that sticks with you to the bottom of the glass.

The smell is that of wheat, mild hops, and a large citrus presence.

The taste that follows will put a grin on your face from ear to ear, a great tasting citrus & wheat beer flavor. This is what Blue Moon and Shocktop want to be, this is what they should have been. The flavor then rounds out with a mild hop bite at the end, just enough to let you know it is there and give you that crisp fresh tang at the end.

The mouthfeel is mild to moderate. Not so light as to be watery, but light enough to be refreshing to the palate. Not sticky or heavy at all, and as a smooth character as you take gulp after gulp.

Overall this is an awesome brew. I can't think of many better offerings for a warm summer day. This one is awesome in all respects.

Will absolutely seek out and purchase again. And again. And again. And again.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company