1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros

Backlash209, Sep 05, 2012

JLaw55, Jul 10, 2014

Here's the deal.
I drink beer when I want it. And that's occasionally, not all the time, and certainly not for the reason of 'social', though I enjoy being social, but I only drink beer when my body truly wants beer. If I'm merely being social, I'll have nothing, or maybe water,.. or maybe beer if my body is really wanting/ready for a beer.

Basic description is this is an excellent medium body beer, unfiltered, which I prefer often times, unless it's just blazing hot and I've had some other food in which case I'll just have true light beers.

It's not dry, it's got a great wet quenchingness about it. Great for warm and hot days, depending on you and your circumstances.
Mellow mild sweet fruity fragrance, some citrusy-ness, not particularly acid, just a beautiful balance , reminding me of the Munich, Germany weiss/weizen beers.
Very satisfying beer.

I had a Widmer Hefeweizen a few years ago, but couldn't stand it, very dry in it's character as though it need a some citrus added to it. From my experience yesterday and today, with two Hefe six packs from two different stores,... they fixed that, and now it's SooooPerrrrB.
I have no complaints about this beer, so why should I give it anything less than 100% = 5/5
This beer is so satisfying, so beautifully balanced, my body loves it!!!!

I wouldn't change anything about it, it's maximum satisfaction for my body.
Beer is great food, and great body therapy on occasion, variable per person.
Know thyself, let your body prudently direct.

And no, I didn't go through both six packs,... yet, that'll be over the course of a week probably, though I have had six in the past 24+ hours. That's very rare for me, but I haven't eaten as much, taking a little rester, and it's been very hot, unseasonably hot.

Also, they've got a new bottle graphic, not the one shown in the picture.

Bondonnalotus, May 01, 2014

Mav213, Jul 19, 2014

forestkcary, Jul 18, 2013

arff406, Feb 15, 2012

pbtimms1, Aug 16, 2013

TrojanWheels, Jan 19, 2012

paulithan, Apr 23, 2012

Osciliath, Jul 12, 2014

All I can say is this is the best Hefeweizen ever! Pours an excellent light gold color. Body is nice and hazy, and I can't see my fingers through the glass. The smell is soft. The taste is light and subtle, just like a hefeweizen should be. The body is nice and creamy. I could drink this 12 months out of the year! My beer of choice!

Socrates68, Sep 15, 2007

cptmintz, Feb 06, 2012

This American style hefe tastes delicious every time. Not a strong aroma but nothing but good about it. Pours honeycomb yellow. . I am biased because I live in Portland where it is brewed. Widmer is available on tap here almost everywhere and is a fail safe in Oregon. There are always exciting new things to try here, but no matter what Widmer is available and never disappointing. Hopefully the bar is smart enough to keep the keg upside down before tapping so that when it is tapped the unfiltered goodness is as mixed as possible. This is my first review this site is amazing

Flavorhound, May 26, 2014

A great American wheat. It's smooth and refreshing. It's not as spicy as a traditional hefe, but it's a smooth, tasty wheat. It's so smooth it can be dangerous because it goes down so easy...so beware...you could over-indulge. this is my favorite everyday hefe. A very nice brewery...Their Drop Top Amber is very smooth too. If you want a smooth balanced wheat, this is a perfect beer.... Not as spicy as a traditional Bavarian style hefe though.

Johnlikeshefe, Nov 16, 2012

SavvyStudent, Nov 03, 2012

csmooth, Friday at 11:01 PM
4.98/5  rDev +51.4%

In my opinion this is the best Hefeweizen in the country. I will admit I am a little biased being that I am from the west coast and am a big fan of west coast brewers. This is great with a little orange peel or even just by itself. It is a great summer beer and can be enjoyed just sitting out grilling.

It provides a nice smooth flavor with a slightly cloudy look. Though the Wilamette hops are some of the best in the world and just enhance the flavor of the beer.

pwf316, Apr 18, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +48.3%

I had this on tap at Howard's Pub in Ocracoke, NC. It is an excellent session beer and was the perfect compliment to a summer meal. Not a strong nose, but a nicely balanced citrus taste and well-rounded mouthfeel. Overall, a beer that deserves a higher rating and has earned its spot as Widmer's flagship brew.

Jkess89, Oct 09, 2011