Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 774 | Hads: 1,950

Okay, first thing is first, a by the book hefeweizen this is not. I really don't know how it is even listed as such, more like an American Pale Wheat. The traditional hefeweizen characteristics are not present here. That tidbit aside though, and you get the following summation of this delicious brew.

This is a very refreshing and delightful brew. Cloudy golden yellow in appearance with a thick fluffy white head that sticks with you to the bottom of the glass.

The smell is that of wheat, mild hops, and a large citrus presence.

The taste that follows will put a grin on your face from ear to ear, a great tasting citrus & wheat beer flavor. This is what Blue Moon and Shocktop want to be, this is what they should have been. The flavor then rounds out with a mild hop bite at the end, just enough to let you know it is there and give you that crisp fresh tang at the end.

The mouthfeel is mild to moderate. Not so light as to be watery, but light enough to be refreshing to the palate. Not sticky or heavy at all, and as a smooth character as you take gulp after gulp.

Overall this is an awesome brew. I can't think of many better offerings for a warm summer day. This one is awesome in all respects.

Will absolutely seek out and purchase again. And again. And again. And again. (1,293 characters)

Here's the deal.
I drink beer when I want it. And that's occasionally, not all the time, and certainly not for the reason of 'social', though I enjoy being social, but I only drink beer when my body truly wants beer. If I'm merely being social, I'll have nothing, or maybe water,.. or maybe beer if my body is really wanting/ready for a beer.

Basic description is this is an excellent medium body beer, unfiltered, which I prefer often times, unless it's just blazing hot and I've had some other food in which case I'll just have true light beers.

It's not dry, it's got a great wet quenchingness about it. Great for warm and hot days, depending on you and your circumstances.
Mellow mild sweet fruity fragrance, some citrusy-ness, not particularly acid, just a beautiful balance , reminding me of the Munich, Germany weiss/weizen beers.
Very satisfying beer.

I had a Widmer Hefeweizen a few years ago, but couldn't stand it, very dry in it's character as though it need a some citrus added to it. From my experience yesterday and today, with two Hefe six packs from two different stores,... they fixed that, and now it's SooooPerrrrB.
I have no complaints about this beer, so why should I give it anything less than 100% = 5/5
This beer is so satisfying, so beautifully balanced, my body loves it!!!!

I wouldn't change anything about it, it's maximum satisfaction for my body.
Beer is great food, and great body therapy on occasion, variable per person.
Know thyself, let your body prudently direct.

And no, I didn't go through both six packs,... yet, that'll be over the course of a week probably, though I have had six in the past 24+ hours. That's very rare for me, but I haven't eaten as much, taking a little rester, and it's been very hot, unseasonably hot.

Also, they've got a new bottle graphic, not the one shown in the picture. (1,844 characters)

All I can say is this is the best Hefeweizen ever! Pours an excellent light gold color. Body is nice and hazy, and I can't see my fingers through the glass. The smell is soft. The taste is light and subtle, just like a hefeweizen should be. The body is nice and creamy. I could drink this 12 months out of the year! My beer of choice! (334 characters)

This American style hefe tastes delicious every time. Not a strong aroma but nothing but good about it. Pours honeycomb yellow. . I am biased because I live in Portland where it is brewed. Widmer is available on tap here almost everywhere and is a fail safe in Oregon. There are always exciting new things to try here, but no matter what Widmer is available and never disappointing. Hopefully the bar is smart enough to keep the keg upside down before tapping so that when it is tapped the unfiltered goodness is as mixed as possible. This is my first review this site is amazing (579 characters)

A great American wheat. It's smooth and refreshing. It's not as spicy as a traditional hefe, but it's a smooth, tasty wheat. It's so smooth it can be dangerous because it goes down so easy...so beware...you could over-indulge. this is my favorite everyday hefe. A very nice brewery...Their Drop Top Amber is very smooth too. If you want a smooth balanced wheat, this is a perfect beer.... Not as spicy as a traditional Bavarian style hefe though. (446 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +53.9%

In my opinion this is the best Hefeweizen in the country. I will admit I am a little biased being that I am from the west coast and am a big fan of west coast brewers. This is great with a little orange peel or even just by itself. It is a great summer beer and can be enjoyed just sitting out grilling.

It provides a nice smooth flavor with a slightly cloudy look. Though the Wilamette hops are some of the best in the world and just enhance the flavor of the beer. (467 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +50.2%

I had this on tap at Howard's Pub in Ocracoke, NC. It is an excellent session beer and was the perfect compliment to a summer meal. Not a strong nose, but a nicely balanced citrus taste and well-rounded mouthfeel. Overall, a beer that deserves a higher rating and has earned its spot as Widmer's flagship brew. (310 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +41.2%

I'm surprised to find such a mediocre review of this beer, because I loved it! It's an acquired tast I suppose, but to each their own.

I had this beer for the first time just last weekend at bar in Union Square, NY called Reservoir. They had it on tap, and I wanted a hefeweizen to go with the Fried Calamary on it's way.

Let me tell you what a great color to this beer! It deviates from the common yellowish, chalky appearance of other hefes, and has a great orange hue, towards the darker end.
I
t smelled of wheat and orange rind. Simple as that, and was quite inviting.

The taste was terrific, one of my all-time favorites! It tasted like any other great hefeweizen, but what does the trick for me is instead of lemon undertones, there's that orange peeking it's head up again. I love oranges. Not overwhelming though, but just enough to make you smile.

Excellent watery mouthfeel, easy to drink, and makes you want to drink more. No wonder the alcohol % is so low, because it felt like I was drinking juice.

From, now on I'll just order whole pitchers for myself. Oh and it went great with the calamari (1,124 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +39.3%

A pretty darn good choice, based on the ba's reviews, I had this one watching the sunset at Lake Tahoe. It was worthy of the occasion. Perfect hazy yellow color, that is expected. Nice big white fluffy head. Nice inviting smells, some hoppy florals. Very mellow, very smooth, great wheat taste. It was easy to drink and everything I expected. If I ever see it in Florida I will buy it. Cheers to the brewers of California, Oregon, and the great Northwest, you guys make great beer. (481 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +39.3%

i bought this as a six pack in a case of four different kinds of beer called brewfest at sams club.not bad i will never figure out why folks figure they need to fruit the wheat beer but to each their own.here we go.
apperance: cloudy no head very litttle lacing.
smell: slight citrus hoppy but no wheat not bad overall.
taste:not bad this is ok as i type this if had it on draught before and liked it then.
mouthfell:good on the palit lite,not heavy.
drinkability:a good sesion beer one to bring to a party,i will get this one again. (533 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +38.1%

What can I say, I love this beer. I first had it at a small resturant/diner that has several beers on tap, and I loved it/enjoyed it/pounded it down. The beer has a true hefe color and opaqueness. Nice lacing all the way to the end. Smell is more citrusy and need not to be ruined with fruit. Not much banana and maybe a hint of clove, but hits the back of the tounge with a sweet taste.

I picked the beer up in a 1/6 barrel and now is a fixture in the draught box at home. The Brothers Widmer were on to something when the brewed this and, without doubt, is the best American hefe on the market.

Prost (609 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +37.8%

this is the best beer at old dominion tap room on 9th street in the district. on tap. it is a little citrisy, but very flavorful, tangy, a nice finish that is crisp and very drinkable. my wife and i vied over finishing the last glass -- we both love it. (253 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Widmer Hefeweizen is one of my favorite american beers. It has a wonderful smell and nice creamy rich color. It is very drinbkable and is not overhopped like most smaller brewing company's are. I thought that this beer had a wonderful head that can only be appreciated if you pour it into a glass first. I think that most beers are improved by releasing them from the bottle before drinking. (391 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another excellent brew from the Pacific Northwest. Widmer's very popular and widely distributed Hefeweizen is a very enjoyable brew when found on tap -- and is considerably more enjoyable under the same environment -- whereas the bottled version is not exactly a favorite of mine.

This one pours with a very large head that stays for long periods of time. As the brew goes down, the glassware is home to considerable lacing. Aroma wise, you can catch glimpses of the caramel malts which lends itself to a very traditional, Germanesque aroma that often cannot be attained through most North American brewed Hefeweizens.

Taste wise, this is among the better Hefeweizen's that can be found in the Pacific Northwest, if not all of North America. Extremely consistent on tap, and in the bottle too, but as said before, this one's best experienced on draught. (859 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +34.1%

This is one of my favorite beers. It's a hef (always great) and it's not an overly complicated beer.

A - Pours a beautiful hazy gold with a minimal head and a small amount of lacing

S - Some nice malty tones and pleasing citrus scents

T - Wonderful citrus notes coming through here, and a little malt

M - A great mouthfeel and comes across really deep and pleasing (369 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Mmmmmmmm...this is even better on draught. The bottle was smooth, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, it did! Full flavored, and very easy to drink. See my review from the bottle. (195 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

I've been drinking the hell out of this beer all summer. At bbq's, bars, parties, at home and I freakin' love it. I used to avoid Widmer Beer's because I had the impression that they weren't very good. I was very wrong and I've throughly enjoyed them the past few months. The fact that you can get this in just about every bar is a plus. What ever you do, keep the lemon out of this one, it makes it taste like fruit salad. (though the Vitamin C goes well with Vitamin B from the yeast)

appearance: this a yeast bomb. one of the murkiest beers i've ever seen and that includes real German Hefe. deep orange color with minimal head. very opaque to any light.

smell: yummy bready banana wheaty goodness. The banana is super mild and not very much at all. But yeah, the beer smells like banana bread. no it doens't have much clove or banana but it is very nice.

taste: An almost perfect balance of hops, yeast and malt. First you have a Cascade Hop Bitterness that is holding down the backbone. Somehow sweet wheat flavors crawls over the tounge and the finish is an estery yeasty finish with just a touch of banana. This is beer is extremely tasty, yet, compared to a German Hefe, this is way off. There isn't Cascade hops in Germany and the yeast is much more balanced than a real German hefe. That won't stop from drinking this beer by the case.

mouthfeel: creamy, almost stout like in a light package.

drinkability: yeah it's super fucking drinkable, especially when you can find it 10.99 a 12 pack. I feel stupid for passing this one up for last few years, when it was right under my nose. I highly recomend you seek this beer with an open mind, it's not really a true hefe, but judge it on it's own merits, because it is not bland tasting.

You even get an engery boost from all those b-vitamins in the yeast and they kill hangovers. Two Thumbs way up. (1,877 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +32.5%

great beer that is an easily found hefeweizen that is a reasonable price. the color is great to look at and.when the orange or lemon is added makes a great relaxing drink. i know not too many people are a fan of this but this is my beer of choice when you are on a budget. (272 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +32.5%

Nice cloudy beer with about a finger width of head, served with a lemon wedge. Really heavy on the wheat almost a chewable beer. Not much of a citrus kick and no sweetness.

One of the more flavorful Hefeweizens that I've had in a while. It's a slow drink but enjoyable. Definitely a drink to have while consuming hot wings. (325 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am wheat beer guy so I figured I would give this a chance since I heard good things about it. Even though its not a German Hefeweizen I found it very good. This was my first beer from Widmer so I was skeptical at first. Definitely recommend it to any wheat beer fans out there. (279 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

I have always been a big fan of Widmer Brothers and this is the beer that got me started, easily one of my favorite Hefeweizens, easy to drink, not too heavy. (158 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

Six pack purchased at the grocery store.

Pours a nebulous copper. Little to no head. Some sudsy bubbles lingering around the glass.

Smell is a glorious burst of yeast and wheat, truly earthy and wonderful! Makes me want to eat it with a fork.

Taste is of soft malts followed by a slight hop bitterness, and encompassing each of these flavors is the wheat chewiness. Mouthfeel can also be described as chewy. Really great body.

This is my favorite American wheat beer, hands down. Other versions are generally too watery, too dull. (542 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +31.3%

My rating here is higher than a lot of the others I have seen on this site. I am assuming it is because most Wheat Ales are not complex enough to rate highly in general, or maybe because it is called a Hefeweitzen and is not really a traditional Hefe. Either way, I think this beer is being underestimated.

It is important to get it on tap. Widmer Hefeweitzen suffers more than most beers in the conversion to bottle. On tap (in a 32oz Masskrug) at the brewery, it has a beautiful orange glow and the perfect cloudiness. The nose is a little weak, not bad, just not much there. The taste is filled with summer wheat and yeasty like fresh baked bread, all complimented with a lot stronger hopps taste (although not so much smell) than most Hefe's.

Maybe not the most fancy, but a great every day beer. A Portlander's version of a Frenchman's Daily Bread. (855 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The surprise of the tasting session...thanks Sam. decanting put a murky yellow-gold ale in my heffe glass. Moderate merigue cap...modest small bubbled carbonation. The nose was wonderful!!....pure bubble gum with some sour dough tones. Very mellow well rounded character for a heffe...not sharp and spritzy...more soft and delicious with the strong banana-clove signature taste profile that rides to the finsh...which is surprizingly light and clean...a wonderful heffe...I will stock up if I have a chance. (507 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +31%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I don't see why the overall score is so low for this one. I think this is an excellent, simple, refreshing and ultimately tasty beer. It's gotta have that lemon, though.

The problem is probably that people are rating it as a traditional german hefeweizen. I understand that this is misleading, but it's not one of those kinds of beers!

This is exactly what I think an American wheat ale should look and taste like. Hazy golden body, decent white head, light lemony aroma and flavor, light carbonation and just very drinkable.

It doesn't blow my mind or anything, but it hits the spot in most cases. (602 characters)

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company