Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Widmer Hefeweizen is one of my favorite american beers. It has a wonderful smell and nice creamy rich color. It is very drinbkable and is not overhopped like most smaller brewing company's are. I thought that this beer had a wonderful head that can only be appreciated if you pour it into a glass first. I think that most beers are improved by releasing them from the bottle before drinking.

4.4/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another excellent brew from the Pacific Northwest. Widmer's very popular and widely distributed Hefeweizen is a very enjoyable brew when found on tap -- and is considerably more enjoyable under the same environment -- whereas the bottled version is not exactly a favorite of mine.

This one pours with a very large head that stays for long periods of time. As the brew goes down, the glassware is home to considerable lacing. Aroma wise, you can catch glimpses of the caramel malts which lends itself to a very traditional, Germanesque aroma that often cannot be attained through most North American brewed Hefeweizens.

Taste wise, this is among the better Hefeweizen's that can be found in the Pacific Northwest, if not all of North America. Extremely consistent on tap, and in the bottle too, but as said before, this one's best experienced on draught.

4.35/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Mmmmmmmm...this is even better on draught. The bottle was smooth, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, it did! Full flavored, and very easy to drink. See my review from the bottle.

4.35/5  rDev +31.8%

Nice cloudy beer with about a finger width of head, served with a lemon wedge. Really heavy on the wheat almost a chewable beer. Not much of a citrus kick and no sweetness.

One of the more flavorful Hefeweizens that I've had in a while. It's a slow drink but enjoyable. Definitely a drink to have while consuming hot wings.

4.35/5  rDev +31.8%

This is one of my favorite beers. It's a hef (always great) and it's not an overly complicated beer.

A - Pours a beautiful hazy gold with a minimal head and a small amount of lacing

S - Some nice malty tones and pleasing citrus scents

T - Wonderful citrus notes coming through here, and a little malt

M - A great mouthfeel and comes across really deep and pleasing

4.33/5  rDev +31.2%

I've been drinking the hell out of this beer all summer. At bbq's, bars, parties, at home and I freakin' love it. I used to avoid Widmer Beer's because I had the impression that they weren't very good. I was very wrong and I've throughly enjoyed them the past few months. The fact that you can get this in just about every bar is a plus. What ever you do, keep the lemon out of this one, it makes it taste like fruit salad. (though the Vitamin C goes well with Vitamin B from the yeast)

appearance: this a yeast bomb. one of the murkiest beers i've ever seen and that includes real German Hefe. deep orange color with minimal head. very opaque to any light.

smell: yummy bready banana wheaty goodness. The banana is super mild and not very much at all. But yeah, the beer smells like banana bread. no it doens't have much clove or banana but it is very nice.

taste: An almost perfect balance of hops, yeast and malt. First you have a Cascade Hop Bitterness that is holding down the backbone. Somehow sweet wheat flavors crawls over the tounge and the finish is an estery yeasty finish with just a touch of banana. This is beer is extremely tasty, yet, compared to a German Hefe, this is way off. There isn't Cascade hops in Germany and the yeast is much more balanced than a real German hefe. That won't stop from drinking this beer by the case.

mouthfeel: creamy, almost stout like in a light package.

drinkability: yeah it's super fucking drinkable, especially when you can find it 10.99 a 12 pack. I feel stupid for passing this one up for last few years, when it was right under my nose. I highly recomend you seek this beer with an open mind, it's not really a true hefe, but judge it on it's own merits, because it is not bland tasting.

You even get an engery boost from all those b-vitamins in the yeast and they kill hangovers. Two Thumbs way up.

4.3/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am wheat beer guy so I figured I would give this a chance since I heard good things about it. Even though its not a German Hefeweizen I found it very good. This was my first beer from Widmer so I was skeptical at first. Definitely recommend it to any wheat beer fans out there.

4.3/5  rDev +30.3%

great beer that is an easily found hefeweizen that is a reasonable price. the color is great to look at and.when the orange or lemon is added makes a great relaxing drink. i know not too many people are a fan of this but this is my beer of choice when you are on a budget.

4.28/5  rDev +29.7%

My rating here is higher than a lot of the others I have seen on this site. I am assuming it is because most Wheat Ales are not complex enough to rate highly in general, or maybe because it is called a Hefeweitzen and is not really a traditional Hefe. Either way, I think this beer is being underestimated.

It is important to get it on tap. Widmer Hefeweitzen suffers more than most beers in the conversion to bottle. On tap (in a 32oz Masskrug) at the brewery, it has a beautiful orange glow and the perfect cloudiness. The nose is a little weak, not bad, just not much there. The taste is filled with summer wheat and yeasty like fresh baked bread, all complimented with a lot stronger hopps taste (although not so much smell) than most Hefe's.

Maybe not the most fancy, but a great every day beer. A Portlander's version of a Frenchman's Daily Bread.

4.28/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I don't see why the overall score is so low for this one. I think this is an excellent, simple, refreshing and ultimately tasty beer. It's gotta have that lemon, though.

The problem is probably that people are rating it as a traditional german hefeweizen. I understand that this is misleading, but it's not one of those kinds of beers!

This is exactly what I think an American wheat ale should look and taste like. Hazy golden body, decent white head, light lemony aroma and flavor, light carbonation and just very drinkable.

It doesn't blow my mind or anything, but it hits the spot in most cases.

4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

I have always been a big fan of Widmer Brothers and this is the beer that got me started, easily one of my favorite Hefeweizens, easy to drink, not too heavy.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company