Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
View: Beers (80) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Frankieteardrop

Rekrule

05-26-2013 22:49:51 | More by Rekrule
martywest

1.3/5  rDev -60.5%

I purchased a 6 pack of this from a local bar simply because I hadn't had a Hefeweizen in a while.

This beer was terrible. No citrus notes that one would expect in a Hefe. Sour aftertaste.

I couldn't even finish the bottle.

Save your money and stay away from this crappy beer.

04-21-2008 16:28:37 | More by martywest
Stranger5582

1.48/5  rDev -55%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

A: Pale yellow, not clear but doesn't look cloudy.

S: Doesn't smell like any Hefeweizen I've had, but reminds me of Bud or Pabst.

T: Certainly doesn't taste like a Hefeweizen. Citrus flavor.

M: Crisp, but much less thick than I'd expect for Hefeweizen.

Completely disappointed. Went into this expecting a traditional Hefeweizen, but got an "American Hefeweizen" instead; definitely not to my taste. I don't often do this, but I poured this out after finishing about half of it. The flavor just got worse and worse. If I should happen across another bottle at some point, I'll edit this if the future tasting is any better.

02-27-2014 06:51:41 | More by Stranger5582

NonicPanic

12-05-2013 04:35:54 | More by NonicPanic
aquatonex

1.5/5  rDev -54.4%

I expected more from this one...

Pours cloudy orange, looked like it was sitting there and accumulated rust. Good carbonation, a little foamy head. Taste starts off ok but is immediately dominated by bitterness. First hefe I've had like this. I was expecting smooth and mild flavor with yeasts, malts, and citrus. It had citrus, but the overwhelming bitterness made it a sour choice for a hefe. I had to douse the entire bottle with lemon to even finish this one. The terrible bitter flavor even dared to linger after the swallow as a show of defiance.

Ugh.

11-14-2004 23:49:25 | More by aquatonex
jealousmonk

1.5/5  rDev -54.4%

A: Average hefeweizen appearance, on the minimal carbonation side. Nothing too unusual.

S: Very light smell. Almost nothing there but a bit of citrus. Really doesn't smell like beer.

T: Same story as with the smell. Almost no flavor, and with none of the typical hefe bite. This is a truly bad beer--it drinks almost like a light beer, so watery that it is unpleasant.

M: Delivers on the minimal carbonation observed after the pour. Feels flat, which is especially damning for such a tasteless beer. Yuck.

D: Not hard to drink, but not especially pleasant to do so either.

I was very unimpressed with this beer. Generally Widmer does a solid if not overly inspired job, but this is just plain boring and unpleasant. They make a variety pack that is a good cheap buy for a big group, but the prospect of ending up with a bunch of the hefeweizen might make me think twice about stocking up.

01-06-2010 07:02:37 | More by jealousmonk

04-14-2012 05:53:08 | More by logicerror
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

1.63/5  rDev -50.5%

Pale yellow-orange body with a big white head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Extremely cloudy. Rather rotten and heavily yeasty aroma of oranges, lemon, and cat hair. Very offensive and engineered. The yeast seems infected. There is no banana. Flavor is rotten fruit and wheat (not in a good way) with only minimal pepper and clove. Greater bitterness than most hefes but overall rather bland and too sweet. Thick mouthfeel. Very disappointing on multiple occasions. Nearly wretched.

08-16-2006 14:03:30 | More by DaPeculierDane
UGADawgGuy

Georgia

1.7/5  rDev -48.3%

Note: since this beer is labeled and marketed as a hefeweizen, I'm reviewing it as a hefeweizen. If that's what the brewery says it is, then they're inviting comparisons to other hefeweizens -- comparisons which are bound to be overwhelmingly negative.

Appearance: A "weizen pour" from a 12-ounce bottle into one of my hefeweizen glasses reveals a straw-colored body, yellowish-orange with a hint of tannish-brown. A scant one-finger head recedes almost immediately, leaving a filmy cap and no lacing during the course of drinking. Sadly, this is the beer's strong suit.

Smell: Faintly soapy, although even that is a stretch. This beer has very little aroma of any kind, good or bad. If I really use my imagination, I can detect a hint of West Coast hops -- a smell that doesn't belong in a hefeweizen. None of the typical hefeweizen aromas (banana, bread, clove) are present.

Taste: This is the worst hefeweizen I've ever had. I imagine Bud Light Golden Wheat might be similar to this, although Widmer's hefeweizen packs an unsettling punch of citric/piney hop character. Since discernible hoppiness is out of keeping with the style, though, that's not really a good thing. The predominant flavor is of hops-infused water with a fleeting memory of wheaty tang (the bad, semi-rotten kind) and some sort of nondescript powder blended in -- the latter probably due to the yeast suspended in the beer. The clove/banana/bubble gum/bread esters that define the hefeweizen style are nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel: Slick, slippery, thin, and watery, bolstered only by the dead yeast's contribution of some palate-clinging chalkiness. This is an awful hefeweizen, with none of the vibrant carbonization or creamy yeastiness one would expect from the style.

Overall: Again, this is the worst hefeweizen I've ever had. If it were an American wheat ale (a style I dislike), maybe it would score somewhat better per style expectations. But if it's a hefeweizen (as it allegedly is, based on the label), it sucks. It's not the soul-crushingly bad experience that, say, Sam Adams Triple Bock is, but it is a pitiful, worthless hefeweizen.

05-02-2011 01:10:11 | More by UGADawgGuy
mabirch

1.73/5  rDev -47.4%

Opened a 12 oz. bottle at my home. An overwhelming scent came flying out of the bottle, reminded me of feces and eggs.

Poured a semi-cloudy yellow, a little brighter than I had expected. An okay head died down to nothing after it was poured. The scent of feces had died down once it was poured, although it was still quite rancid.

Tasted mildly citrusy and wheaty, very light. Crisp mouthfeel, summery. The scent was just too much to bear however, and I could not finish the glass.. If the scent was not so bad, this would be a half decent brew.

I'd like to try it on tap sometime, get a different experience.

02-28-2008 21:31:58 | More by mabirch
osi

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%

A - Poured a very cloudy deep orange almost resembling bad orange juice.

S - Smells funky like a salon perm or bad eggs. Very disappointing.

T - The perm smell follows through with strong tastes of wheats and some malts.

M - Medium to full bodied with a lingering flavor.

D - The smell really turns me off for this beer. Very disappointed. I like heffewiezens and this is a very bad example.

I am hoping I just had a bad tap, what it seems like...

02-24-2008 22:25:57 | More by osi
yemenmocha

Arizona

1.78/5  rDev -45.9%

"Ever since Widmer introduced Hefeweizen to America in 1986, ours has been the standard by which all other Hefeweizens are judged." (Widmer brewery website)

Ok, so I shall review it as a Hefe-Weizen, and not as an American wheat. Perfectly fair.

Between straw and sunset orange in color, very hazy of course. Thick webby head retains well.

Nose is disappointing. It's simply weak, with no prominent or enticing aromas. I double checked that my bottle is fresh. Hmmm.

Is this the same Widmer as from a few years ago? I clearly remember this beer having a highyl (over?) carbonated character with almost orange juicy flavors. Now it's one of the most "macro" of all wheats I've ever tried - very little of the usual banana clove for the style. Very boring. Nothing good to say, because there's nothing worth talking about in this beer.

Finish is short and slightly tart.

05-06-2004 02:57:01 | More by yemenmocha
Padron4KM

Arizona

1.83/5  rDev -44.4%

22 oz bottle, Jan 5 07 botled on code. Hazy gark golden with a decent sized eggshell head. Patchy lace.

Aroma is mostly lemon with a slight hint of banana.

Flavor is grapefruit, light wheat, and more grapefruit.

Body is thin and watery.

Finish is dry.

02-23-2007 05:44:06 | More by Padron4KM
abcsofbeer

1.85/5  rDev -43.8%

The only beer that wasn't a macro was the Widmer. I think this was my second wheat so I didn't know really what to expect. From the tap came a tannish brown, very cloudy, apple cider looking beverage. There was very little head, but there was some lace for about half the glass, then it disappeared. It has a fruity and nutty aroma.

Taste is with very little carbonation, so little, I was wondering if there was something wrong with the keg. It tasted flat. Again, it was sort of sweet and nutty, maybe a touch of caramel. It also had some bitterness suggesting numerous hops, which also gave it a tartness.

The beer finished off tangy at the bottom with the sediment remaining in the glass. I might try this from the bottle to compare, but I won't buy it again.

05-01-2004 01:53:56 | More by abcsofbeer
jdhilt

New Hampshire

1.88/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured with a wussy white head that stays, leaving a little lace. Low carbonation. Cloudy straw color. Starts hoppy, finishes hoppy but soapy. Light bodied. The ABV is 4.7% There are much better wheats out there. Contracted by Widmer Brothers Brewing with Redhook Brewery in Portsmouth.

09-06-2003 23:00:37 | More by jdhilt
StanfordBlack

1.88/5  rDev -42.9%

I really, really dislike this beer.
The appearance of this beer was the first warning that I was in for big trouble. I tend to like strong, bitter ales, so imagine how I felt pouring this out into my glass only to see a very bright yellow liquid. I took a deep breath as I continued to pour, trying to convince myself that everything would be okay.
The smell was very wheaty with vague hints of ripe fruit. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either.
The taste was absolutely horrible. The first thing I tasted was something very sweet, I took a look at the bottle afterwards to confirm that what I was drinking did indeed have alcohol in it. I took one more sip and focused on the tones. It reminded me of bubblegum, and not just a little bit, but like I was drinking liquid bubble tape. As the bubblegum faded out the taste that stayed on my back palate was mildly of apricot. It was a total surprise given the smell of the beer.
Mouthfeel for me was poor. It felt very weak, and while the one positive was that it went down easily, I really didn't feel like I was drinking a beer at all. It felt very watered down and left a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall, I can't see myself ever drinking this beer again. I understand not everyone likes bitter ales, and that some people really do love this beer, but I can't seem to find much positives with it.

07-20-2014 06:47:54 | More by StanfordBlack
bewareOFpenguin

1.9/5  rDev -42.2%

Karma police, arrest this beer. It doesn't look like a wheat, smells like a lawn mower beer. Doesn't taste like anything, struggle to get it down. This is what you get when you mess with mediocraty. For a minute there, I lost my taste, I lost my taste........

04-21-2003 06:36:23 | More by bewareOFpenguin
hardy008

1.91/5  rDev -41.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Hazy amber with a small white head with poor retention and lacing. Smells like like citrus, not at all like a Hefeweizen. Tastes like lemon and not much else. Very bland. Light bodied, not much carbonation, and nothing like a Hefeweizen.

01-10-2013 01:14:28 | More by hardy008
jantonius

1.93/5  rDev -41.3%

This Hefeweizen has seemed to lose it's quality and characteristics over the last 5 to 10 years.

A: Straw - Yellow, Cloudy. No head, pours flat.

S: Very slight citrus tones.

T: No real flavor, just slight lemon or orange.

M: Medium body, average carbonation

D: Goes back easy, very simple, non - complex beer. Ok session beer, good cooking Hef.

11-26-2009 03:24:41 | More by jantonius