Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 776 | Hads: 1,967
1.36/5  rDev -57.9%

I purchased a 6 pack of this from a local bar simply because I hadn't had a Hefeweizen in a while.

This beer was terrible. No citrus notes that one would expect in a Hefe. Sour aftertaste.

I couldn't even finish the bottle.

Save your money and stay away from this crappy beer. (284 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

A: Pale yellow, not clear but doesn't look cloudy.

S: Doesn't smell like any Hefeweizen I've had, but reminds me of Bud or Pabst.

T: Certainly doesn't taste like a Hefeweizen. Citrus flavor.

M: Crisp, but much less thick than I'd expect for Hefeweizen.

Completely disappointed. Went into this expecting a traditional Hefeweizen, but got an "American Hefeweizen" instead; definitely not to my taste. I don't often do this, but I poured this out after finishing about half of it. The flavor just got worse and worse. If I should happen across another bottle at some point, I'll edit this if the future tasting is any better. (626 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -52%

I expected more from this one...

Pours cloudy orange, looked like it was sitting there and accumulated rust. Good carbonation, a little foamy head. Taste starts off ok but is immediately dominated by bitterness. First hefe I've had like this. I was expecting smooth and mild flavor with yeasts, malts, and citrus. It had citrus, but the overwhelming bitterness made it a sour choice for a hefe. I had to douse the entire bottle with lemon to even finish this one. The terrible bitter flavor even dared to linger after the swallow as a show of defiance.

Ugh. (563 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -51.7%

A: Average hefeweizen appearance, on the minimal carbonation side. Nothing too unusual.

S: Very light smell. Almost nothing there but a bit of citrus. Really doesn't smell like beer.

T: Same story as with the smell. Almost no flavor, and with none of the typical hefe bite. This is a truly bad beer--it drinks almost like a light beer, so watery that it is unpleasant.

M: Delivers on the minimal carbonation observed after the pour. Feels flat, which is especially damning for such a tasteless beer. Yuck.

D: Not hard to drink, but not especially pleasant to do so either.

I was very unimpressed with this beer. Generally Widmer does a solid if not overly inspired job, but this is just plain boring and unpleasant. They make a variety pack that is a good cheap buy for a big group, but the prospect of ending up with a bunch of the hefeweizen might make me think twice about stocking up. (893 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -48.6%

Pale yellow-orange body with a big white head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Extremely cloudy. Rather rotten and heavily yeasty aroma of oranges, lemon, and cat hair. Very offensive and engineered. The yeast seems infected. There is no banana. Flavor is rotten fruit and wheat (not in a good way) with only minimal pepper and clove. Greater bitterness than most hefes but overall rather bland and too sweet. Thick mouthfeel. Very disappointing on multiple occasions. Nearly wretched. (488 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -47.1%

A - Poured a very cloudy deep orange almost resembling bad orange juice.

S - Smells funky like a salon perm or bad eggs. Very disappointing.

T - The perm smell follows through with strong tastes of wheats and some malts.

M - Medium to full bodied with a lingering flavor.

D - The smell really turns me off for this beer. Very disappointed. I like heffewiezens and this is a very bad example.

I am hoping I just had a bad tap, what it seems like... (452 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -46.7%

Opened a 12 oz. bottle at my home. An overwhelming scent came flying out of the bottle, reminded me of feces and eggs.

Poured a semi-cloudy yellow, a little brighter than I had expected. An okay head died down to nothing after it was poured. The scent of feces had died down once it was poured, although it was still quite rancid.

Tasted mildly citrusy and wheaty, very light. Crisp mouthfeel, summery. The scent was just too much to bear however, and I could not finish the glass.. If the scent was not so bad, this would be a half decent brew.

I'd like to try it on tap sometime, get a different experience. (612 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -46.4%

Note: since this beer is labeled and marketed as a hefeweizen, I'm reviewing it as a hefeweizen. If that's what the brewery says it is, then they're inviting comparisons to other hefeweizens -- comparisons which are bound to be overwhelmingly negative.

Appearance: A "weizen pour" from a 12-ounce bottle into one of my hefeweizen glasses reveals a straw-colored body, yellowish-orange with a hint of tannish-brown. A scant one-finger head recedes almost immediately, leaving a filmy cap and no lacing during the course of drinking. Sadly, this is the beer's strong suit.

Smell: Faintly soapy, although even that is a stretch. This beer has very little aroma of any kind, good or bad. If I really use my imagination, I can detect a hint of West Coast hops -- a smell that doesn't belong in a hefeweizen. None of the typical hefeweizen aromas (banana, bread, clove) are present.

Taste: This is the worst hefeweizen I've ever had. I imagine Bud Light Golden Wheat might be similar to this, although Widmer's hefeweizen packs an unsettling punch of citric/piney hop character. Since discernible hoppiness is out of keeping with the style, though, that's not really a good thing. The predominant flavor is of hops-infused water with a fleeting memory of wheaty tang (the bad, semi-rotten kind) and some sort of nondescript powder blended in -- the latter probably due to the yeast suspended in the beer. The clove/banana/bubble gum/bread esters that define the hefeweizen style are nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel: Slick, slippery, thin, and watery, bolstered only by the dead yeast's contribution of some palate-clinging chalkiness. This is an awful hefeweizen, with none of the vibrant carbonization or creamy yeastiness one would expect from the style.

Overall: Again, this is the worst hefeweizen I've ever had. If it were an American wheat ale (a style I dislike), maybe it would score somewhat better per style expectations. But if it's a hefeweizen (as it allegedly is, based on the label), it sucks. It's not the soul-crushingly bad experience that, say, Sam Adams Triple Bock is, but it is a pitiful, worthless hefeweizen. (2,130 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -44.3%

"Ever since Widmer introduced Hefeweizen to America in 1986, ours has been the standard by which all other Hefeweizens are judged." (Widmer brewery website)

Ok, so I shall review it as a Hefe-Weizen, and not as an American wheat. Perfectly fair.

Between straw and sunset orange in color, very hazy of course. Thick webby head retains well.

Nose is disappointing. It's simply weak, with no prominent or enticing aromas. I double checked that my bottle is fresh. Hmmm.

Is this the same Widmer as from a few years ago? I clearly remember this beer having a highyl (over?) carbonated character with almost orange juicy flavors. Now it's one of the most "macro" of all wheats I've ever tried - very little of the usual banana clove for the style. Very boring. Nothing good to say, because there's nothing worth talking about in this beer.

Finish is short and slightly tart. (874 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -42.4%

22 oz bottle, Jan 5 07 botled on code. Hazy gark golden with a decent sized eggshell head. Patchy lace.

Aroma is mostly lemon with a slight hint of banana.

Flavor is grapefruit, light wheat, and more grapefruit.

Body is thin and watery.

Finish is dry. (267 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -41.5%

The only beer that wasn't a macro was the Widmer. I think this was my second wheat so I didn't know really what to expect. From the tap came a tannish brown, very cloudy, apple cider looking beverage. There was very little head, but there was some lace for about half the glass, then it disappeared. It has a fruity and nutty aroma.

Taste is with very little carbonation, so little, I was wondering if there was something wrong with the keg. It tasted flat. Again, it was sort of sweet and nutty, maybe a touch of caramel. It also had some bitterness suggesting numerous hops, which also gave it a tartness.

The beer finished off tangy at the bottom with the sediment remaining in the glass. I might try this from the bottle to compare, but I won't buy it again. (769 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -41.2%

Karma police, arrest this beer. It doesn't look like a wheat, smells like a lawn mower beer. Doesn't taste like anything, struggle to get it down. This is what you get when you mess with mediocraty. For a minute there, I lost my taste, I lost my taste........ (259 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured with a wussy white head that stays, leaving a little lace. Low carbonation. Cloudy straw color. Starts hoppy, finishes hoppy but soapy. Light bodied. The ABV is 4.7% There are much better wheats out there. Contracted by Widmer Brothers Brewing with Redhook Brewery in Portsmouth. (286 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -40.6%

This Hefeweizen has seemed to lose it's quality and characteristics over the last 5 to 10 years.

A: Straw - Yellow, Cloudy. No head, pours flat.

S: Very slight citrus tones.

T: No real flavor, just slight lemon or orange.

M: Medium body, average carbonation

D: Goes back easy, very simple, non - complex beer. Ok session beer, good cooking Hef. (349 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -40.2%

Reviewed from notes.

Hazy amber with a small white head with poor retention and lacing. Smells like like citrus, not at all like a Hefeweizen. Tastes like lemon and not much else. Very bland. Light bodied, not much carbonation, and nothing like a Hefeweizen. (259 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -39.9%

I really, really dislike this beer.
The appearance of this beer was the first warning that I was in for big trouble. I tend to like strong, bitter ales, so imagine how I felt pouring this out into my glass only to see a very bright yellow liquid. I took a deep breath as I continued to pour, trying to convince myself that everything would be okay.
The smell was very wheaty with vague hints of ripe fruit. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either.
The taste was absolutely horrible. The first thing I tasted was something very sweet, I took a look at the bottle afterwards to confirm that what I was drinking did indeed have alcohol in it. I took one more sip and focused on the tones. It reminded me of bubblegum, and not just a little bit, but like I was drinking liquid bubble tape. As the bubblegum faded out the taste that stayed on my back palate was mildly of apricot. It was a total surprise given the smell of the beer.
Mouthfeel for me was poor. It felt very weak, and while the one positive was that it went down easily, I really didn't feel like I was drinking a beer at all. It felt very watered down and left a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall, I can't see myself ever drinking this beer again. I understand not everyone likes bitter ales, and that some people really do love this beer, but I can't seem to find much positives with it. (1,368 characters)

Carbonation is fairly intense. Taste is strongly wheaty with only a bit of lemon in the background providing any depth in flavor. A mild but still significant bitter aftertaste.

IMO, this tastes much more like an American Wheat Ale than a Hefeweizen. But regardless of its category, I think it lacks flavor and is too bitter on the back end.

I remembered liking Widmer Hef in the past, but maybe my tastes have changed since then. After this recent experience, I'll be avoiding this brew. :( (493 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -37.2%

Widmer- Hefeweisen

Served up, on tap, at the Firkin Tavern- Ewing, NJ.

Appearance- light orange/ yellow with no head.
Smell- like a cheap macro. Corn adjunct with a wet straw aroma.
Taste- Again, like a cheap macro. Corn & rotten wet straw. Is this a Hefe or a lager?!
Mouthfeel- watery and flavorless.

Overall- No clove, no banana, no spice. No hefe flavors present at all! I can't believe I gave this beer a good review 2+ years ago!?! I take it back! My taste buds have matured and this is a horrible Hefe!! Avoid!! (530 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -37.2%

Widmer Brothers “Hefeweizen” pours a very cloudy pale orange from it’s dark brown glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Date bottled on 07/07/05. Head went to just about one finger with a hard pour into a 22oz beer glass. No lace... no ring... no foam cap... Zip, nada, nothing.

Nose is a distinctly burnt wheat malt with a few sour citrus notes. No clove, no banana, and no pepper.

Palate is just as disappointing as the nose, sour burnt wheat with some sting of carbonation.

Widmer Brothers “Hefeweizen” has none of the qualities (save colour) of a “Hefeweizen” worth mentioning... none.

To sum it up in a nutshell, disgusting! (644 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

Appears: Cloudy unfiltered golden orange with thin white head, sorry no lacing to speak of here. Aroma: Bland dumbeddown some banana tones in the background not much more to say has ties with A-B it's not to much of anything. Taste: A weird finish to a bland representation of one of my favorite summer styles just disappointingly inept, no flavor just so light flat. Mouthfeel: No texture thin and watery needs more body and not enough carbonation. Drinkability: So middle of the road, wow I remember this beer being so much better in a bottle last summer while living in southern California, but after trying their Kolsch I definitely loose respect for them. (660 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -36.2%

I don't normally write reviews other than an overall number but I was so wildly disappointed in this beer that I felt it necessary. I bought a selection of Hefeweizen's from Trader Joe's that I had never had before as the weather has been quite nice and obviously they are usually a nice pair.

I don't know how Widmer Brothers can call this a hefeweizen. I can't call myself an expert but I am fairly familiar with hefeweizens, and this is nothing like any I have ever had, in a bad way. The only obvious flavors are wheat and yeast, and the yeastiness is incredibly dilute, much akin to Bud Light or something similarly shitty. I can't qualify the wheat flavor because it is too weak, which is odd considering the importance of wheat in a hefeweizen. MAYBE I can taste a tiny bit of apple but it is very much an afterthought, only notable after burping. I can maybe notice a slight spiciness if I sit here and focus completely on every sip. But the various citrus/fruit flavor, spiciness and wheat prominence one would expect is severely lacking. There is zero body to this beer.

I will finish it only because I paid for it. I would definitely hesitate to call it undrinkable as there isn't anything particularly offputting (just lacking in the first place), but it is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH DRINKING again, or for the first time. I have been drinking exclusively craft beer for about a year now (by that I really only mean I do not drink Bud-anything, Miller, PBR etc., I certainly will drink from larger breweries like New Belgium or Sierra Nevada), and this is definitely the most disappointing beer I have had during that time. I have had a few DIPA's that I could not finish because of the bitterness but at least they had other redeeming qualities. There are hundreds of other hefeweizens out there that are a thousand times better. (1,839 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -35.9%

pours out a cloudy light copper colour with a big egg shell white head. lotsa lace. a spicy, dusty aroma; no trademark hefe qualities in the nose. it loses in the taste department, too. there is a grainy flavour and a some hints of banana, but that's about it. some herbal notes are seen as i take a few more sips, but this isn't a true hefe and even as an "unfiltered wheat beer", it lacks. unfortunately, i believe this concoction needs a lemon slice to liven it up a bit. mouthfeel is a bit harsh on top of a medium body. drinkability suffers just because this really is not a good rendition of any type of wheat beer. i'll definitely drink the rest of my six pack, but i'll definitely not buy this again. (708 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearance is cloudy orange with no head whatsoever. Not a good sign. Smell is almost nonexistant. A little bit of banana and some citrus. Taste is more of the same. Very watery and not nearly carbonated enough, which took down the drinkability a few notches. Also needs some flavor. Luckily I didn't have to finish my pint as we were leaving the bar. (351 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -35.3%

This was a big disappointment. I am a fan of Hefeweizens, and I was hoping that this would actually be a decent American Hefe, something that I've never had before. This was also the first Hefe that I've ever had off tap. Its had a lot of hype in my area, and was as expensive as decent imported beers. I was excited... and then I got the glass. This beer looked like puke. It was an odd, orangish color, and very cloudy. The wierdest thing about this hefe was that it had NO HEAD! Now I know that it may have been the man who poured the beer's fault, but a hefe without a head is ridiculous. Its flavor was bland,not at all like a German hefe. It replaced the hefe flavor that it should of had with an alcohol taste. This beer was not worth $4.50. I say stay away from this unless you can get it for free. If you like hefes, stick with Weihenstphaner, Ayinger, Franziskaner, etc. They actually have a flavor, and you can buy a bottle for $3. (942 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -34.4%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = extremely cloudy with sediment everywhere. Absolutely not movement. A yellowish peach color. Not really impressive.

Smell = Pretty standard wheat beer smell.

Taste = Very bitter and bland. Give me bitter beer face. I don't think I'll get through the whole bottle. This is a terrible wheat beer. There's nothing redeeming going on here. It's course, harsh, and flavorless.

Overall = A terrible beer that I'd only serve to my enemies. (502 characters)

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company