Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 775 | Hads: 1,965
2.35/5  rDev -27.2%

This is a tough one. It's hard to know if I should review this as a Hefeweizen or as an "American Wheat Beer." If I were to review it as the former - it would be unsatisfactory. As the latter - it's perhaps the epitomy of the style. Given that I think that the emerging style of the "American Wheat Beer" is marginal at best, I guess I'll review it as a Hefeweizen and thus do double service as both a review and a comment on the style.
Initial pour shows an odd and almost bright orange colour with the only similarity to a Hefeweizen being its cloudiness. Little to no head that quickly fades to a thin but slightly clingy lace. Aromas are predominantly yeast and fruit with an undercurrent of malt and the slightest hint of wheat/grain.
First tastes are of a mild crispness and yeast, smooth and mid-bodied. This promises a flavorful beer, but this hope is dispelled by the following blast of hops, which overwhelm the fruit, wheat and malt that should define the style. The finish is dominated by the fading bitterness from the hops and an odd "off" flavour that could well be from the yeast.
Sigh... not to my taste. (1,124 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -26.9%

Tap@Edinborough Castle, San Fransisco. Pretty thin, with no depth of flavour, clove and lemon and not a lot else. This was on tap in so many places up the West coast of the US, which probably suggest this is one of the best selling wheat beers in the US??? (256 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -26.9%

Purchased on a whime from Jerry's in Bethlehem for $1.75. 12 oz brown longneck.

Poured a clouded orange color with a little white head that was not sticking around to see the bottom of the glass and left no lacing.

Smell is, umm, underwhelming. Taste, too. Not really a whole lot here--like, at all. Mouthfeel okay, carbonation is a bit high. Not a bad beer per se, but maybe more accurately a beer which has absolutely no further appeal to me. Would not recommend or buy again, unless it was $10 a case or something. (519 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -26.3%

Beer poured a typical cloudy light yellow. Medium head that left heavy lacing.

Nose was light and yeasty. Some lemon in there as well.

Taste was mild, but with a somewhat sharp finish. I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as hoppy, just sharp. Not all that great.

Mouthfeel was about average.

all-in-all, an entirely forgettable beer. (349 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -26.3%

Not much here to recommend this one. For a hefeweizen there's very little by way of that typical lemon-banana aroma I've come to expect of the style. Sufficiently yellow gold in color, with a slight haze. The taste has its wheat, but its undistinguished, bland. Watery mouthfeel, vanishing into a slighty acidic aftertaste. There's better representatives of the style out there. (378 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -25.7%

This brew poured a small head of fine to medium sized white bubbles that left a good lacing and a semi-cloudy light straw yellow body with a mild malt aroma. It had a smooth start wild flavors of mild banana, spices and malt. (225 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -25.4%

Not impressed with this beer. I like most hefeweizens, so I figured I'd pick one of these up upon spotting it at ABC.
A: Nice gold color with a fluffy head that dissapates quickly, with minimal lace
S: Here is where I realized this beer was not going to be amazing. Fruity, malty and hopy, but not the right combination
T: Slightly citrus-y, malty, and hopy, but too earthy for my liking
MF: Creamy, smooth, clean, decent aftertaste
D: Despite the fact that I was not impressed with the taste or smell, this beer does have a nice body, which makes up for its other flaws (571 characters)

Drank this beer on tap at Summits in Sandy Springs, GA

Appearance:
This beer poured into a barrel mug a cloudy yellow-tan color with about a ¼” head that lasted about 2 minutes. The lacing was spotty and minimal.

Smell:
This particular pour smells of wet cardboard and yeast.

Taste:
This pour tastes a bit flat and stale, not impressive at all. I’ve had this beer at several places in several states and it’s all over the board. The carbonation levels seem to drift and so does the flavor. The freshest I’ve tasted was at the Cheesecake Factory in Virginia Beach, VA. However, overall it strikes me as a mediocre Hefe. It has the wheat flavor but lacks the higher and lower notes - the subtle flavors of bananas or cloves or citrus rinds etc..

Mouthfeel:
Medium/full and flat

Drinkability:
If there is no other beer on tap other than bulk Pils or Lagers then I’m all for it but at a beer bar with a good selection, I’ll pass it by. (961 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -25.4%

Cloudy golden orange in color with a small white fizzy head.
The aroma is of faint wheat
Its flavor has a mild wheat presence, then moves into a touch of citrus.
Light in body and easily drinkable, though I will not be looking for it again.

Although this is not a bad beer, I just think that if you want a hefeweizen, you are better off with something else. (363 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. At least it LOOKS like a hefeweizen. Cloudy pale yellow.

Nose only reveals hop aroma. No hint of banana, clove, bubblegum, or any fruity esters. What's going on here?

Taste confirms it: Hefeweizen in name only. Hop bitterness and flavor predominate, and are more in line with a standard bitters. Wheat and malt both very subdued

Mouthfeel is smooth enough; I guess there is some wheat in here after all.

Generally a disappointment; neither as interesting nor as refreshing as a hefeweizen, and the amount of hops doesn't go well with the wheat character. (598 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -25.1%

A cloudy healthy orange hazy appearance on draught. Fresh lemon wedge is obligatory. Splash! Of, course typical citrous nose with lemon, mind you.

Low carbonation level steps into flat and stale, even for Hefe. A creamy, off tang is dissapointing. She looked good from far but far from good, guys. Ooops. Overly bitter & sour. Darn!

Mouthfeel goes mid-to-back tongue. I even resorted to squishing and beating this one up inside to ellicit some fragrance and taste. Beat up: No response. Frownie face.

This will get a generous 3.0 / 5.0 drinkability. Preferably, I would grab a can of any gusto-session $10 can case brew before this. Sorry. (Peace sign & thumbs down) i.e Too - bad!

Beer is good. Happy beering. (724 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a cold bottle into pint glass. About an inch of head remained at the top. Had a very foggy appearance and you couldn't see through it, which is a good sign for a hefeweizen. Had a nice light amber color. I couldn't sense any smell from it... it really was missing. Smell doesn't make the beer though. For a hefeweizen, I thought this beer was quite bland. It didn't really have a wheaty finish or leave my tastebuds with anything. It didn't taste bad, but it had no distinct flavor. However, it went down fairly smooth, and did not leave my mouth with any aftertaste. It's drinkable, especially in the summertime, but I wouldn't reach for another one. Overall, I wasn't too impressed, but maybe it was just a mediocre batch. (736 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -25.1%

Got this at an Albertson's grocery store in Huntington Beach. My dad informed me you could buy any beer as a single in CA. How cool is that? Anyway, I did not have the luxury of a lemon in the hotel, so this went in the water glass. Murky dark yellow color with thin white head and lacing. Aroma is a pretty rudimentary citrus. The flavor is a mixture of citrus, malt and clove but that mixture did not really move any mountains. Finish is sweet. Not really that enjoyable. (473 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured into pilsner glass.

A- Cloudy dark yellow, very light head
S- Not much there
T- very typical of a hefeweizen, good body with a yeasty finish
M- medium body, fairly smooth
D- easily drinkable, great on a hot day

Overall one of the more boring Hefeweizens I have had, not a horrible beer but it is missing something. (331 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -24.8%

Hefeweizen usually brings to mind a sweet, flavorful beer. Poured to a bottle, this had a golden color. Yet it had almost no aroma. This was a bad sign. The initial taste was a watered down banana flavor that seemed to just fade to nothingness. No interesting aftertaste. The mouthfeel was typical for a hefe, which is to say it there was not much to it after the light carbonation. Generally, this is typical of the style. A watered-down sweet flavor is not typical of the style. (480 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -24.5%

I never would've tried this unless there wasn't anything else half-way decent on tap at this restaurant (MM in Hilton Head). Probably the worst looking beer I've ever had. It looked like butterscotch pudding in a glass. The aroma and flavor weren't especially bad, but there wasn't anything distinctive. It didn't taste bad, I just couldn't get past the appearance. (365 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As a wheat fan I at first enjoyed the taste but after much further review I have new opinions. Good taste, not so good on the finish. A little more tart than most from the style. Missing the sweetness, cloverish lime that better wheats' posses. Pours with a massive head that delivers a bitter top and smell. Best cold.
Initially its good but its drinkability is average because it really stays with you and you may find yourself being overcome by the bitterness and powerful natural citrus. Heavy for the style. Overall taste is slightly above average. (554 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Hefeweizen for the masses. It looks like a wheat, kinda smells like a wheat, but the taste (excluding mouthfeel) is almost a pilsner. Far too plain... where did you hide the bavarian influence. I know that Oregon is the mecca for American hefeweizen, but come on we want the wheat! and the ester notes... please. America is the king of taking something simple and overdoing it, i.e. the tripple whopper, deep dish pizza, I mean look at Hooters for god sake. C'mon Widmer, step up to the plate... you are the face of American hefewiezen whether you like it or not... next time you gaze into that big ol' brew kettle I hope you see a red, white, and blue hue and I wish you would decide to make "Old Glory" proud. you can do it! (726 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Medium head, dissipates quick, looks slightly paler than a glass of orange juice, very cloudy.

S: Fruity, lemony, peppery, somewhat faint overall.

T: Lemon citrus flavor, that is sour, the finish is slightly bitter/ peppery which leaves a bad taste. Alcohol is not strong.

MF: Medium body, fairly smooth, with decent carbonation.

D: The off flavors, especially in the finish ruin this one for me. I remember liking it more in the past, but it is usually served with a lemon wedge. Reviewing it now, it doesn't hold up on its own... (547 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -23.5%

At CSUF where I attend school, there's a decent restaurant bar across the street. Unfortunately, they don't have much of a selection of beer on draft, and I wanted to have something decent which I hadn't had in awhile. On to the beer:

It was served with a lemon wedge in with (what a surprise), which I pulled of the rim of the glass. It had good head retention which left lots of lacing on the glass, and a cloudy blonde body. The aroma was faint, and the taste wasn't very exciting; it was a bit tart, yeasty, and finished hoppy. I liked the mouthfeel on it, it was soft and gentle as in went down.

I need to pick better wheat beers next time if I have the choice. I've been let down by the two offerings I've had (this and Sam Adams Hefe). Or maybe I just don't understand them. I'll keep trying...(and 7 months after this review, I now understand wheat beers. Wow, what a difference time makes!)

Update 1-10-08: Recently had some again on-tap. Still looks good, but the aroma was blah, and the feel was harsh and peppery. I've noticed the scores were more favorable once upon a time, so is this beer being dumbed down for greater appeal? The scoring reflects these recent changes. (1,189 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours bright yellow gold, with plenty of hazy and a frothy head that dissipates to a ring. Not bad looking. The aroma only comes out at relatively high temperatures. Bananas and light spicing rest uneasily alongside a general, harsh citrus character. On the palate, the initial lemony onrush quickly turns a bit rancid. Sweet malts come in at the mid-palate before a medicinal finish. Unpleasant, poor attempt at a wheat beer. (426 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

You have to understand that when I go on a bottle shop run, I am either on a mission or scouring for CANs or both, but rarely do I buy random, individual BTs. I am *TRYING* to get onboard with the Hefe program in light of the upcoming summer, but I only like the clove esters, vice the banana split nonsense. Help!

From the bottle: "This naturally cloudy brew starts with the highest quality malted wheat. Its bold, clean flavor and pronounced citrus and floral aromas are what define American Hefeweizen. Prost! to the original. [undersigned] Kent (?) & Rob".

This will be reviewed as a Hefe, BTW.

Dude, where's my head?!? I poured, looked away and it was gone! Filmy, white wisps were all that remained. Color was a foggy orange-yellow, like fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose was all bananas, dang it. Mouthfeel was very thin and the taste was minimal with clove actually making it to the forefront, but not in any capacity that would make me embrace it. Finish was equally ho-hum with a light clove spiciness as the prevalent taste. Let's see, I got my wish and it still was not enough. Wow! Either I am the typical over-the-top AmeriCAN or this was a weak sister. I'm going with the latter. I definitely did not get my money's worth. (1,245 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a bright but cloudy orange/blond color with a one-finger head. Aroma has light hints of orange and banana with the malt showing through as well. Taste is thin and watery upfront with no hint of orange or banana. Unpleasant towards the back of the throat. It's missing a lot of substance that would add credence to the claim of being a hefeweizen.

If this is Widmer's flagship beer, it's mediocre. (403 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Dark golden yellow color with about a two finger head that dissipated very quickly. The color looked perfect for a wheat beer.

S: Smelled mildly of orange peels, and of course wheat.

T: Tastes mildly of wheat, not much else.

M: Goes down smooth, but it is very light. I know it is supposed to be light, but it is not that much heavier than an American lager.

D: Could drink this on occasion, but I think I need to pair it with something other than a sub, maybe even by itself. (483 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

ordered a bottle at dinner after a scorching day on vacation in Charleston. Poured with a decent but not impressive head and was the color of murky apple cider. Smell was faint and not what I expected- sort of a nutty, earthy, almost sour scent. Taste also wasn't expected. No citrus flavors. Just a quick, flat wheat followed by a monotonous bitterness. My overall impression was a general dullness. (400 characters)

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company