Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
2.08/5  rDev -37%

pours out a cloudy light copper colour with a big egg shell white head. lotsa lace. a spicy, dusty aroma; no trademark hefe qualities in the nose. it loses in the taste department, too. there is a grainy flavour and a some hints of banana, but that's about it. some herbal notes are seen as i take a few more sips, but this isn't a true hefe and even as an "unfiltered wheat beer", it lacks. unfortunately, i believe this concoction needs a lemon slice to liven it up a bit. mouthfeel is a bit harsh on top of a medium body. drinkability suffers just because this really is not a good rendition of any type of wheat beer. i'll definitely drink the rest of my six pack, but i'll definitely not buy this again.

budgood1, May 28, 2006

On tap at Ten Mile Station

Bollocks, I say. This ain't no hefeweizen. While hazy like one should be, and even with a deceivingly dense head with great retention and moderate lacing, the nose belies this beers emasculated nature. While banana and a little clove are present, the balance and character of this beer does not remotely resemble its forebearers. It's much like comparing a McDonald's burger to a real burger, just because beef, salt and maybe a little pepper are present, it doesn't mean this is particularly acceptable. Light and watery on the palate, this beer is rather disappointing. Yes, it has a little bread, some banana and a little clove, but this is not what I was looking for. As described, this is watery, and the finish is dry, a little fruity and rather disappointing. I don't have as developed palate for wine, but I had a lot more fun deconstructing the better than average pinot noir and cabernet sauvignon that were also served at the time. This beer, OTOH, was disappointing.

DefenCorps, Oct 01, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -36.4%

Pours a very nice wheat yellow/tan. Very cloudy, small white head.

Smells like a typical wheat beer with a slightly sour orange citrus aroma.

Not as much flavor as I expected. Very muted. The slight orange flavor doesn't seem sweet at all. Has a thick beery, yeasty feel to it that doesn't add any taste. And it finishes with a light piney hop that fades into a short bitter aftertaste.

It seems heavy in the mouth. It's not a crisp swallow, and it's extremely carbonated.

terrabyte, Oct 12, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -36.4%

This was a big disappointment. I am a fan of Hefeweizens, and I was hoping that this would actually be a decent American Hefe, something that I've never had before. This was also the first Hefe that I've ever had off tap. Its had a lot of hype in my area, and was as expensive as decent imported beers. I was excited... and then I got the glass. This beer looked like puke. It was an odd, orangish color, and very cloudy. The wierdest thing about this hefe was that it had NO HEAD! Now I know that it may have been the man who poured the beer's fault, but a hefe without a head is ridiculous. Its flavor was bland,not at all like a German hefe. It replaced the hefe flavor that it should of had with an alcohol taste. This beer was not worth $4.50. I say stay away from this unless you can get it for free. If you like hefes, stick with Weihenstphaner, Ayinger, Franziskaner, etc. They actually have a flavor, and you can buy a bottle for $3.

WMBierguy, Aug 30, 2003
2.13/5  rDev -35.5%

Had this at City Cafe in San Fransisco. Served on tap cold. in a hefeweizen glass.

A-Hazy wheat color and thin white head

S-Grainy and floral

T-corn chip and some yeast flavor

M-Light medium

D-not bad but far from distinctive. I would pass on this in the future.

jneiswender, Dec 04, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -35.5%

This beer pours a light cloudy amber with no head and a touch of lacing. The smell is of mass produced lagers. The taste is not impressive @ all, I get nothing of a hefe yeast and is there even wheat in this beer? There is a mlat flavor but that is all, I always love the large banaa flavors from the yeast in hefe's and this one is totally lacking. The mouthfeel is ok and there seems to be no carbonation. Flavor makes the drinkablility of this beer tough.

Biggness, Dec 16, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -34.8%

Cloudy yellow pour with a puffy white head. The, this beer careens down the hill into oncoming traffic. Aroma is wheaty and mild citrus. The taste is average, mostly wheat with some malt. Nothing special. If anything, this beer is the model for how bad the American Wheat Ale has become. A failure.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -34.8%

I sampled this on-tap at the Strawberry Music Festival beer tent.

There's little in the nose, the colour is lacking, there's little body and a disappointingly bland flavour. My standard for the style is Hoegaarden, being the first wheat beer I sampled all those years ago in Nottingham. The Widmer comes nowhere near even close.

There's barely any malt either in the nose or the taste, neither was there any of the warm spicy citrus I've come to expect from the type. It's a thin brew in every respect, and in fact the only good thing I can say is that it was cold and wet. Not unpleasant, just bitterly disappointing.

No hops, little malt, and barely any nose. Sadly, I was not impressed.

(Some of this review is cross-posted on my blog.)

wertperch, Sep 09, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -34.8%

Purchased from Perry's liquor store in Athens, GA.

When I brought the six-pack home, I was so excited that I immediately cracked one open. I poured it into an appropriate wheat beer glass.

The appearance at first was fairly attractive, with a nice straw color and a cloudiness characteristic of an unfiltered wheat beer. The head left something to be desired, and as I drank, I discovered that the head did not retain nor leave lacing. Despite my attempts at awakening the head (indeed, I'd poured hard to start) the head refused to be more than a few tiny bubbles on the surface.

When I smelled the beer, I got a faint hint of wheat and some spices, butl I also smelled the same skunkiness one would get from a light adjunct American lager... It was below average at best.

The moment the beer touched my lips, I knew I was disappointed with the purchase. I tasted some wheat, sure. Unfortunately, the flavor seemed watered-down and the aforementioned skunkiness carried through to the taste.

Perhaps I've been spoiled with wonderful belgian wheats from our local pub. Maybe I think that Blue Moon or Sierra Nevada Wheat is a far superior alternative for nearly the same price. Perchance I am angry that my Hefeweizen tasted like Bud Light (or worse) mixed with Blue Moon minus most of the spice notes. I don't know, but this beer goes on the "never again" list.

What does it need? A stronger flavor profile would help. The watery taste is far too overwhelming. Some nice body with a decent head would help too. Increasing the thickness by a touch would not only improve mouthfeel, but also head retention. I suppose for the price it is alright, but as I mentioned before, there are more flavorful alternatives out there.

mindmage625, Sep 23, 2009
2.17/5  rDev -34.2%

First Hef ever. Served with a lemon. Do not usually like that fruit in my beer. Poured dirty orange in color with hardly any head. The lemon smell was strong from over a foot away. The taste of the lemon overpowered the beer too. It had a very flat citric-acidic flavor. I do get hints of the wheat hiding behind the lemon. I am afraid that the lemon ruined this beer for me, so unfortunately my score reflects that.

MuddyFeet, Mar 14, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -33.3%

I just moved to Indianapolis and I've been seeing this beer everywhere. In fact, I can't think of a bar I've been to in the past few weeks that doesn't have it! Enjoying a good Weizen, I thought I'd try it out. Wow. This beer is a letdown. Not since Sierra Nevada's abortive attempt at this style have I encountered a beer like this. That isn't to say it is all bad: focus on the lemon aspect of the beer (No, I did most certainly NOT add a lemon, but the lemon flavour in the beer itself), that and several other yeasty aspectsmake the beer interesting. Not good, but not terrible either. But the mouthfeel -- there is none. Nononononono, avoid this beer. I shoulda gone with the Sam Adam's on tap.

shbobdb, Sep 09, 2005
2.2/5  rDev -33.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher weizen glass. Bottled on 061009.

A - Hazed over pale yellow with a nice goldenrod hue where the beer has more volume. Uncharacteristically thin (still about 1.5 fingers) head with low retention but leaving some spots of lacing.

S - Crisp aroma of yeast and wheat with a touch of spiciness but lacking that good banana ester and overall warmth. Light grassy notes too.

T - Holy shit this has some serious astringency going on. Light, crisp. and near flavorless, it may be one of the worst hefes I've ever had. There are no hefe characteristics about it. Minor wheat and yeast with spice but all muted to near nothingness.

M - Dry, mouth-puckeringly bitter and acidy. Crisp and light bodied with good carbonation.

D - I don't think the beer has gone bad due to a) not being skunked and b) not being old. I was hoping for a good hefe instead I got a drain pour. Just totally unimpressed.

[Why is it called a Hefeweizen when its not a hefe?]

BeerFMAndy, Sep 20, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -33.3%

APP - Very cloudy, very light amber in color. A slight lace, that is soft while creamy. It poured cloudy, and stayed that way.

Smell- Light smells that are difficult to discern. Some light citrus, a little wheat. Pretty mich "light" describes the smells.

Taste- Again light is the buzz word. Many other brands have a more distinctive wheat flavor. There is a citrus flavor up front, then a bland wheat taste in the background. This is "safe' wheat at it's best.

Mouth- Easy on the palate. So perhaps it is good and easy going down. Maybe like the Budweiser of wheats. Not much but easy going down.

Drinkability- Very easy to drink lots of these. As I say the Budweiser of wheats. In fact thanks to Anheiser-Busch!

stevecee2003, Feb 03, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -33.3%

A - Pours a one a half finger head with a hazy golden straw body. The head fades to a decent lace as time passes.

S - There is a faint smell of coriander, cinnamon and citrus. The smell is too faint to rate this hefe any higher than average.

T - This is a very watered down hefe. The smells coincides well with flavor (not good either way)as it is very faint and not a full bodied hefe. The banana you would expect in a hefe is non existant.

M - At this point in the review I am having a hard time even continuing. The mouthfeel is very poor with an unbalanced flavor and poor qualities for a hefe.

D - Poor. I could not have more than one, and even that is going to be considered torture.

Compared to a great hefe like New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat, this comes in way behind. I may have set my expectations too high after having NG's hefe but this is a poor attempt at one.

Wisconsin, Jan 15, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -33.3%

This beer pours a hazy golden and when decanted aggressively it leaves a chunky modest head that fades with haste. It does leave some lace on the side of the glass marking each sip. The aroma is bready with hints of citrus. The same can be said for the taste with the additional notes of a weak malt backbone, which leaves this beer a bit unbalanced to the bitter side. No clove, slight banana. Fairly drinkable and forgettable.

adammills, Dec 05, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -33.3%

Pretty bland, pretty boring, pretty unimpressive all around. An uninspired effort for the style. Not a terrible choice when all you have to choose from is Bud/Miller/Coors... but really really lame for the style.
Hazy orange color, not much at all in the way of odor or flavor... really quite watery all around.
Perhaps worth a taste if you are curious but that's about it. Perhaps a tiny baby step to get people to try other brews.
I did, however, appreciate much more the Brooklyn ale that was available.

ommegangpbr, Sep 19, 2005
2.2/5  rDev -33.3%

Sixer, bottled on 9/20/06 so it's relatively fresh. I'm a bit shocked at some of the higher ratings because this is a piss poor hefe, even from my expectations coming from an American Brewer. Light aroma of dry wheat, no clove, banana, or citrus notes of any kind. The first bottle I poured gingerly down an angled glass because a hefe usually foams like mad if you're not cautious. This one however I soon learned I had to force straight down the middle "glugging" it if you will just to get a respectable head. Nice color, no lacing. I swirled the "yeast" like one should and was rewarded with floaties and chunks...no thanks. Crisp and somewhat refreshing, it's not creamy as it needs to be. Flavor is essentially malt and wheat, no more no less. This one should be ashamed to call itself a hefe, in fact it's not even a very good example of an American Wheat and that's hard to accomplish.

kinger, Dec 16, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours as a cloudy dirty orange with not much of a head.

Smells of citrus and wheat. Taste is plain with some wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel is alright. A little watery and with medium carbonation.

Overall, the Widmer Hefeweizen is a below average hefe. I will not buy this one again, especially with better choices out there.

billysj, Apr 28, 2007

friggz81, Jul 17, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

A: deeply clouded flat yellow with slight grapefruit pink tones at times. A few bubbles clung to the side of the glass otherwise they had free roam from what I could see. Head was airy and coarse, no retention and a couple fingers of lace

S: dry wheat and grains followed by predominant lemon citrus...the usual

T: mild and well mannered with wheat malt leading the way. Soft spiciness in the mix that is augmented by its fizzy character. Clean and soft yeast character as well. Lemon notes are subdued and far from tart nor are they very acidic. Finishes with light watery and sugary edges. Maybe some some bland hops

M: fizzy, light, and weak. Has some nice features like a wheaty spice at the end, but it's by far a bit lame and disabled

D: I have had a hard time with American wheat brews. I am not a big fan of wheat beers in general and I would much rather reach for something else next time. Although nothing comes to mind of the top of my head....

Magpie14, Feb 05, 2009