Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from the bottle a cloudy staw color with very little head and lacing. Weak, faint aroma of wheat. Tastes very smooth, somewhat creamy, decent carbonation, but very bland for a hefe weizen. Wheat, yeast and banana flavors were weak. Nothing stood out other than I was surprised how bland it was. I was expecting more flavor. Finished nicely, a little dry, yet refreshing. Easily drinkable...would make a great session beer in that it's so very smooth and not complex at all. Overall, I was disappointed in this hefe weizen. I would drink it if offered, but won't buy it. It does not stack up to the great hefe weizen's out there. However, it is a decent beer, just not a great hefe.

3.2/5  rDev -3%

I've been saving this one in my fridge for a while now...but am not quite as impressed as I thought I'd be with it. Nice color....hardly any smell OR taste. Tastes a tad "citrusy" with a tiny hop bite at the end, but that's about it. Very thin, but I'm sure it's highly drinkable. It's about 96 degrees today here in PA, so it's a good beer on days like this. I popped a lemon wedge in the glass just to help out. Refreshing...yes. Worth seeking out for a spectacular drinking experience?...No. I graduated high school in Oregon, so it's cool that this brew is from the Northwest. Actually, it's my first beer from Oregon, sad to say, as I've heard great things about OR breweries. Gotta try more, and soon! So many beers, so little time. Anyway, if you have the chance to try this on a hot day....go ahead, and you won't hate it. Doubt you'll fall in love with it, though. Stay cool during these dog days, my BA friends! Cheers!

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Bubbly half inch head, cloudy straw and orange

S: Hints of orange and wheat that's it, not too far removed from the Sierra Nevada version of this beer.

T/MF: Sort of creamy wheat then finishes quite dry

D: Meh. This beer is pretty unremarkable

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured into pilsner glass.

A- Cloudy dark yellow, very light head
S- Not much there
T- very typical of a hefeweizen, good body with a yeasty finish
M- medium body, fairly smooth
D- easily drinkable, great on a hot day

Overall one of the more boring Hefeweizens I have had, not a horrible beer but it is missing something.

2.53/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a cloudy yellow golden with a nice foamy white head with nice retention.

Smell. Touches of lemon citrus and dry roasted malts. Not too pleasing for me.

Taste. Similar to the aroma. The malts are dominant to the point that the flavors of clove or banana are not present. Says hefeweizen, but certainly tastes like an american wheat ale the site has it for. I also wonder some about the yeast strain, as it is throwing me off. Aftertaste has a little spice in it that is nice.

Mouthfeel. Body is light and a little empty. Carbonation is at a lower level than i would have liked.

Overall, i am not a fan of this beer. There is nothing in here that i particularly like, other than it is rather easy to swallow. Has some characteristics of a lager imo. I think i will skip this one for now on.

2.95/5  rDev -10.6%

This is my first review, keep that in mind. I bought this at my local Hanaford supermarket because the date on the label was clearly marked and plently fresh.

A - Slightly cloudy, straw color with foamy white head that lasts forever and laces solidly down the pint glass

S - Doesn't smell very strong. The wheat is defiantly prominent.

T - See above. Maybe a light bit of typical wheat beer characteristics, not too much dancing on my tongue if ya know what I mean.

M - Only a little smooth, thin, and not all that refreshing.

D - Easy drinking, however nothing really stands out. A decent beer to quench your thirst on a hot day.

2.28/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow color with a good head, decent retention, and leaves a tiny amount of lacing (poured from a bottle into a Weizen glass). The aroma in not quite as impressive, however, being moderately malty, grainy, and wheaty. The taste goes along with this, also not quite as good as I thought it would be. Wheaty, grainy. The mouthfeel is fairly light with a good amount of carbonation. Easy to drink, but not that impressive, I picked this up on the way to a party and was kind of disappointed. Try one out if there's nothing else better to drink.

2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

Overrated.

Taste is thin, with a faint hint of hops and a citrus aftertaste, but not much else. The mouthfeel is watery, and for a hefeweizen it feels more like club soda.

I'm starting to see this brew everywhere, and it's beginning to get irritating. It barely qualifies as a hefeweizen, IMHO, and the taste is bland and unappealing.

3.2/5  rDev -3%

On tap at Fit-Z's in Watertown, MA.

A: Pours a hazy, straw-colored orange. Light head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: A light wheat smell. Tiny amount of hops, but not much else.

T: The taste is fairly average, matching with the smell. A tiny amount of hops are evident, but the malt and wheat flavors are the dominant ones. A little sweetness from the malt tempers the overall wheat flavor.

M: Thin, similar to a Harpoon UFO or other hefeweizen. However, it's fairly appropriate to the style.

D: This is a drinkable beer. It's not my favorite hefeweizen, but on a hot summer day, I could definitely see throwing a few of these back. Not bad overall, but not my first choice in the style.

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy, deep straw to orange color with a rich head that could have stood to be a bit bigger. Nose was rich wheat with not much spice; nice but fairly neutral. Pretty typical for an American wheat. Flavor was about the same. Body was light-to-medium with a slight bitterness in the finish. OK, maybe a tad bland. Mouthfeel was appropriately creamy for the style. Drinkability was good.

A decent, drinkable summer beer. Probably overrated but there's nothing wrong with it.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

Served at just below cellar temp in a pilsner glass, no lemon wedge.

Hazy apricot colored with a white foamy head that settles down quickly, leaving no lace.

Aroma of biscuity pale malt, some butterscotch amd ripe pear.

Flavor is initially malty, somewhat bready, with very understated notes of lemon citrus and phenols, and even some buttered corn poking through. A faint yeasty flavor emerges, but doesn't assault the pallete.

Fairly full mouthfeel, moderately carbed. Perhaps not my first choice depending on whatever else may be available, but a decent summer beer, pretty drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

This will be the first time I'm having this, and I do not expect an authentic Munich-style hefeweizen. I see the BA designation for it is an American Pale Wheat Ale, so I'll be assessing it as such.

APPEARANCE: Poured into a 40 cl hourglass-shaped not-so-weizen glass with the swirl of yeast. It's a hazy golden yellow with what starts out as a one-finger white head. It drops quickly but still leaves a hearty collar and a large bubbly patch.

SMELL: The smell is oddly pungent with some earthy hops and pale wheat. Not too intense and no yeasty aromas are detectable.

TASTE: Very neutral. Wheat is obvious, and the hops detected in the smell carry over to the taste, though definitely not as intense. It starts a little bitter before the sweet wheat takes over. There's really just not much going on here.

MOUTHFEEL: A nice medium light body is quite appropriate, but the carbonation is very, very low which is not what I want from a supposedly refreshing wheat beer.

DRINKABILITY: This beer could improve upon a lot of things, but it really is fairly drinkable anyway. And it's certainly not outside the realm of its style.

Ok, I'm not buying this again. If it had a better carbonation level, this would great for picnics and horseshoes, but as it is, I'll pass.

I bought this recently because my store was out of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse. What a disappointment this was. Nothing offensive, but definitely lacking in taste. Minimal head for a hefe. More spicy and no fruit character like German hefes. Easy to drink, but not satisfying like Paulaner, Franziskaner, or Weihenstephaner, or even King Ludwig Weiss.

3.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Widmer Hefeweizen pours a cloudy, light orange with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a light citrus aroma. Malty up front, followed by a nice hop flavor for balance. No clove or banana to speak of. As the beer warms wheat flavors become more prominent and a touch of citrus becomes evident. This isn't a bad beer, but it's not a hefe. Decent for an American wheat ale. Worth a try.

3.2/5  rDev -3%

This stuff looks off-putting, like a cloudy something or other that sat in a urinal a couple of days.

At least it didn't smell or taste that way. Not too bad actually, pretty much like a hefe should, a little citrusy, light fruity/malty/hoppy character. Overall, Okay.

This is probably closer to a true hefe than a lot of them out there (Shiner for example), drinking it out of the bottle will insure the appearance doesn't get to you and all in all a reasonably pleasant beer. For the most part I like Widmer's offerings, this one though, a bit disapointing. **My humble opinion of course**

Girlfriend likes it so on that scale I give it a 5.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

I found this kind of bland for a wheat beer...but not all together bad.It went down easy and left no real aftertaste,but I expected more flavor.I would have it again,because it was not undrinkable...but I have had better.Worth a try if you have never had a wheat beer and want to work your way up to the stronger flavored ones.

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

A - Murky honey-orange that disguises any sedement or carbonation that may be lurking inside. Fluffy eggshell head quickly recedes to lacing.

S - Faint bananas, cloves, and incense(?!) on top of a wheaty malt body that ends with some sterile phenolic notes.

T - Wheaty malts, a tinge of grassy / bitter hops that finish with a very subtle banana aftertaste. Overall, very little flavor.

M - Thin, heavily-carbonated.

D - Not very impressed with this. Served ice-cold it's probably a decent summer ale, but it tastes very mass-produced.

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a cloudy, light honey color (like unfiltered apple juice). The head started off dense (if not thick) and promising, but settled as quickly as I could turn away and then look back at the glass. It didn't disappear completely, but stayed around as a very, very thin film. Smell was a split between citrus (more lemon than anything else) and a pleasant yeastiness.

First taste was all about citrus, still mild, but the lemon lingers in the aftertaste. Under the citrus --forgive the wine-speak blather b/c I'm not really sure how else to describe it---is an earthy chewiness, which is likel the yeast on top of the wheat. I'm not a habitual drinker of wheat beer, so I guess was expecting a cleaner, dryer taste. This said, the Widmer's taste wasn't unpleasant. The earthy part of the taste picks up toward the end. I liked this changing quality. High marks for the mouthfeel.

Considering I'm not a big fan, I'm actually giving this beer higher the average score for drinkability because--although it's not my personal favorite--I would choose it over other beers. A solid find.

3.03/5  rDev -8.2%

A rich looking pour; golden, hazed and nice white head leaps from the glass...er, plastic cup! I know, I know. Good ole LoDo in Denver.
Anyway, lemon was refused. I could smell a hint of wild yeast and citrus in this brew. I gave it a 3.5 because it doesn't have any 'bad' smells, as most of the other APWAs I have tasted possessed. so, above average.
yet the taste was average. Couldn't detect any citrus, or lemon, or wheat characterstics. yet, again, not bad. It was crisp, and better than a lager on the sunny day. I had three of these; it trumped the SA Boston Lager for my choice.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

I wanted to give this a better review -- the only other time I had this was after my sister-in-law's wedding ceremony when I'd finally gotten my screaming 1-year-old upstairs with the sitter so I could come down and join the party. It was a boiling hot day and the ceremony was out in the sun. i needed somehting refreshing and the bartender recommended it. I was in no mood to analyze its qualities; in that context the beer just plain hit the spot. Period.

A year later, I'm back on the West Coast and I try this on tap to see if it's as enjoyable as I remember. Turns out it was mostly context. Pours a hazy pale yellow with very little head and what there is doesn't hold its shape at all. Not much smell to speak of -- maybe some faint yeasty and lemony notes. The taste was not bad but not memorable -- certainly not a hefeweizen to tell the truth. Dominated by yeasty breadiness with some traces of citrus and a surprisingly bitter finish. None of the banana, bubblegum and cloves you'd expect from a hefe. The mouthfeel was crisp and carbonated, albeit more watery than I would have liked. Drinkability, however, was a strong suit. It still remains an excellent quenching brew -- a great refresher. Just not what you'd order if you want a real hefeweizen. It's still a very drinkable, refreshing American wheat beer that's more enjoyable in my opinion than most designated "summer brews."

2.42/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a cold bottle into pint glass. About an inch of head remained at the top. Had a very foggy appearance and you couldn't see through it, which is a good sign for a hefeweizen. Had a nice light amber color. I couldn't sense any smell from it... it really was missing. Smell doesn't make the beer though. For a hefeweizen, I thought this beer was quite bland. It didn't really have a wheaty finish or leave my tastebuds with anything. It didn't taste bad, but it had no distinct flavor. However, it went down fairly smooth, and did not leave my mouth with any aftertaste. It's drinkable, especially in the summertime, but I wouldn't reach for another one. Overall, I wasn't too impressed, but maybe it was just a mediocre batch.

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can't believe I've never reviewed this beer! Had it on many occasions; if I'm not mistaken, this was the very first Oregon beer I tried when we moved here 8+ years ago. Today's beer comes from an office-furnished 6-pack, a 12'ozer poured to a pint-glass, NOT garnished with lemon wedge. Beneath the cap reads, "A PROST: To Randomness. And Gouda. Petunias". :)

A: Milky/cloudy pour, a thick wheaty-gold. Still probably the densest of the unfiltered pale wheat/"hefeweizens" I've come across. Thin white head, dwindling quickly to a swirling film.

S: Smells of wheat, grass, a little squeeze of lemon and a mildly spiced yeast. Maybe even some clove & banana; funny, this is one of the few times I've ever smelled this beer and thought it bore any resemblance to a German Hefeweizen. But I swear it's there...

T: Dry hops, ample wheat with a faint sweetness, some lemon zest. Hops are quite herbal and there's a layer of spiciness that's pretty good. Finish is dry and slightly medicinal in the bitterness.

M: Crisp and light-medium bodied. Moderate carbonation, seems just the right amount of fizziness. Aftertaste is mostly clean with some lingering hoppy bitterness and a hint of stickiness.

D: An enjoyable beer. This one has become so ubiquitous in Oregon and, more and more, nation-wide. Still, I've always enjoyed the Widmer Hefeweizen & thought it was an easy one to drink, sessionable and summery. Almost a 'classic' NW beer at this point. Thanks, Kurt & Rob!

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Has a pretty cool look to it, with the frothy foamy head. the head sticks pretty well to the glass and the color of hazy wheat is nice too. it seems to die a little too quick for me but it still looks ood while it lasts.

S: weak smell of yeast and straw, nothing to dominate or bad

T/M:A little sweetness with a healthy boast of yeast. its not bad but does not come at you with a different style. it seems like it might be a good warm weather beer, or session style beer. more flavor than your average beer, but nothing special enough to take special note.

3.48/5  rDev +5.5%

A - golden peach colored hazy liquid with full frothy head that allows for nice clinging layers of lace

S - Faintly fruity and mildy spicy peppery aromas

M - Thin and sweet -feel that collapses onto the sides of my tongue: light and rather uneventful

T - A mild carbonation brings the light wheat flavors to the taste buds. A generally sweet but very mild essence of wheat and extremely light malt. A hint of lemon and a slightly salty finish give the ale a bland inoffensive flavor.

D - lighly fruity and quaffable as a thirst quencher or lawnmower ale. Not as full flavored or as effervescent as true Weizens go, but passable as an american wheat. I would probably not seek this out since the flavor seems to have declined since I first tasted this.

On tap a Bubba Gump's in Fort Lauderdale.

A very beautiful beer, completely unfiltered, and considering it has traveled across the country, it's held up nicely. Listed as a Hefeweizen by the brewery, on BA as an APWA...wtf??? Does not drink like a Hefe, more like a cask EPA; drinkability is high because of the low ABV. Drinks like a nice summer treat, a good alternative to expeditiously boring Hefe's that the littleBigs are putting out.
I will definatley be looking for this beer this summer on the beach.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company