Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a medium cloudy straw hue with a two finger pillowy white head. There was good retention and excellent sticky lacing.

The smell had a nice wheaty and yeasty tone. Decent citrusy hop presence as well. None of the traditional hefe aromas.

The taste was biscuity with a touch of bitter hop which really cleans it up. Mild lemon element.

The mouthfeel was chewy yet rather clean.

Overall a good beer. This is not a hefe however, but a pale wheat ale. Tasty nonetheless.

plaid75, Aug 04, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap at some bar at Reagan airport in DC (Charlie Capp's?).

Served in pint glass, and had to do the defensive drinking maneuver of specifically requesting no lemon wedge.

A: Cloudy, opaque, hazy. Looks like a hefe so far. Very thin head, flight lacing.

S: Wheaty, spicy, citrusy. Citrus is dominant. No banana, no clove. Hmm.

T: A bit too much citrus up front (why would they serve this with lemon if its esters are naturally way too lemony?). A grainy middle, a lightly hoppy finish, which was surprising for a hefe.

M: Light, refreshing, nicely carbonated.

D: Pretty easy to drink. Not at all in the American Pale Wheat Ale style. This beer did a great job in the "I've got a four hour layover and need something to drink" category. My suspicion is that its graininess would wear thin pretty quickly, and it's not a hefe that I'd ever really crave. Worth a try, though.

rarevos, Aug 02, 2006

Widmer Hefeweizen is an interesting brew. Something pretty cheap, but something different. Along the lines of a Shiner Bock, yet better. The appearance is slightly cloudy, not good for what I expect out of a hefe. Smell is quaint, nothing out of the ordinary. The taste is probably the high point of this beer. It's interesting for a hefe because it has a bitter note to it, but it’s not smooth like it should be at the same time. Franziskaner has this nailed down. The mouthfeel is pretty decent, I'll give it that. This is a good beer I'd use for bringing to a party because it’s cheap enough, and different from the swill everyone else would be bringing. A different take up on the style, but not something I'd recommend if you’re looking for a hefe. The good part? UNFILITERED! Man does that make a difference! Widmer with that metallic filtered taste (shivers…) would not be pleasant. Hits the mark on average.

MusicmanSD, Jul 28, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Beer was poured from the bottle, gave the classic weizen haze, in a deep golden color. Head was minimal, next to no retention, with only minimal lacing throughout, standard weizen appearance. The smell was almost unrecognizable, barely holding hints of wheat and citrus. Taste about the same, nothing really stood out, had to stick two lemon slices in just to punch it up some. Mouthfeel light and crisp, standard hefe feel. I didn't find anything too special here.

xzqrut, Jul 24, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -24.6%

I never would've tried this unless there wasn't anything else half-way decent on tap at this restaurant (MM in Hilton Head). Probably the worst looking beer I've ever had. It looked like butterscotch pudding in a glass. The aroma and flavor weren't especially bad, but there wasn't anything distinctive. It didn't taste bad, I just couldn't get past the appearance.

doubleipa, Jul 24, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Virtually zero head unless you pour from about three feet away, but the appearance is great. Golden color, cloudy sediment. Smells a little fruity (which apparently all Hefes do), but it's generally pretty bland. The taste was pretty light, even sweet.

It seemed like a decent brew.

Poser, Jul 23, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

I've always found this to be a pretty mediocre beer and never felt the need to review it, but after reading so many reviews claiming how good it is on tap, I thought I'd give it a try since I've only previously had out of the bottle...

A: This is a very beautiful looking beer. peach colored, extremely cloudy. A wonder to look at. Very little head and no lacing. If only it tastes as good as it looks.

S: No matter how much I try, I really can't smell much of anything. Slightly citrusy, a bit of hops... not much to smell at all.

T: The flavor is very weak and pretty much the same as the smell. There are absolutly no banana or clove tastes whatsoever. I'm not sure exactly how this is a Hefeweizen.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, enough carbonation.

D: Pretty much the same as the bottled version. As you can tell it's not my favorite beer in the world, but since It's usally the only beer available other than BMC at the bars in Grants Pass, I find myself drinking it fairly often.

MLegendre, Jul 23, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazey golden yellow with decent lacing.
Smell: Faint hop aromas join the typical citrus smells found in beers like this, nothing to impressive.
Taste: The taste starts out grainy with just a hint of banana at the end. As I keep drinking the taste starts to become sweeter, it's kinda nice.
Drinkability: There are better Hefe's out there but this one is nice in a plain and simple sort of way.

rebel1771, Jul 19, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

I detected a skunky nose, and believe that I got ahold of an older bottle, but can't tell because of the absense of a beer date.

Nose and taste contain much fewer esters and clove/bananna tastes than I am used to, and a little more hoppiness and body.

I would highly recommend this beer as a "masculine" hefe, in its fresher form. It would provide a nice introduction to an inexperienced weiss beer drinker, and perhps intice them to drink others.

I had this years ago on draft in its Portland home, and kept gong back for "one more" pint, until my wife had to drag me out. It holds a special place in my heart because of this experience--the brew was so fresh tasting it was almost like tasting beer for the first time. Ever have home-baked bread right out of th oven and still piping hot? Well, that's how I feel about that experience.

irish, Jul 17, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Looks like a typical hefe. Cloudy yellowish appearance with an average head.

S - Not much at all going on here. Some grain, maybe some citris, but none of the typical Hefe yeasts.

T - Farily bland. Citrusy mostly and lacking the fruity sweetness that I expect from good Hefes.

M - Decent. Medium in the mouth and finishes about how you would expect.

D - Decent as well. Not a bad summertime brew, but there are dozens of others that I would reach for first.

SethB2, Jul 15, 2006
2.03/5  rDev -38.3%

Widmer- Hefeweisen

Served up, on tap, at the Firkin Tavern- Ewing, NJ.

Appearance- light orange/ yellow with no head.
Smell- like a cheap macro. Corn adjunct with a wet straw aroma.
Taste- Again, like a cheap macro. Corn & rotten wet straw. Is this a Hefe or a lager?!
Mouthfeel- watery and flavorless.

Overall- No clove, no banana, no spice. No hefe flavors present at all! I can't believe I gave this beer a good review 2+ years ago!?! I take it back! My taste buds have matured and this is a horrible Hefe!! Avoid!!

NJpadreFan, Jul 13, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

From a 22oz brown bomber pour a very cloudy yellow (pale) with a 1/2 inch white foam cap. The head fades fast but leaves some sticky white lace and the carbonation is good.

The nose is malty, grainy and full of wheat with a hint of lemon and some leafy hops. Smells a bit like vegetables in the tail end after a few more sniffs.

The taste is very wheaty, pale malt with some citrus, lemon and orange that lend just a hair of sweetness too the Hefe and it ends with a slightly brisk, hop bitter tang. Tastes pretty good.

Medium body with a creamish kind of mouthfeel, an easy drinker with a very mild affect from the alcohol content. Worth a try.

scottoale, Jul 12, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a hazy golden-orange with a white head.

Aroma of wheat and yeast hit me, plus a fair amount of lemon scents.

Most of the flavor is characterised by citrus, especially lemon, flavors. A little banana come through, but not much. There is also some distinct spiciness, though it's not distinctly clove. Of course, the wheat and yeasty flavors are present, but they--the yeast especially--were not as present as I had hoped.

Pretty fizzy mouthfeel that works well with the flavor.

Though not the most authentic hefe I ever had, it's a pretty tasty beer nonetheless.

strattor, Jul 12, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Average wheat appearance slightly cloudy with a yellow color. Nice head. Good wheat smell with a hint of lemon. Taste is nice and smooth with fruit, lemon undertones and a strong wheat taste. Pretty good light bodied mouthfeel. Overall a pretty decent beer.

boblog, Jul 06, 2006
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Standard cloudy straw orange color, nice frothy head that settled to about 3/4 of a centimeter and retained suprisingly well, through the whole beer, if I didn't know better I would have thought it was nitro-tapped. The aroma was not very pungent, but it was a little fruity and had some esters and fresh wheat. There is some banana/clove character in the taste but hardly noticable. The taste is mainly of fresh wheat with a good lemon zest, and a little fruity bubble gum to it. The mouthfeel is zesty and tangy, but not as much as others, quite smooth all in all. Very drinkable. Standard American hefe here, good for what it is.

dfried, Jul 04, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Could not get a head, and what I did get disappeared. What was left was a bright yellow orange cloudy liquid with no trace of carbonation. It looks like a good fruit juice.

Smell: Bready and yeasty, a little sweet, a little metallic.

Taste: Yeasty and citrus, astrigent, a little metallic, some very mild hops fade into a surprsing biscuity rush.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light bodied and well carbonated. A little fizzy character.

Drinkability: Well, this doesn't please me as a hefeweizern. But I like the biscuity aftertaste. It looks bad. It frustrates me how this brew has become synonymous with "hefeweizen". But, it's not like it tastes bad.

guitarmage, Jun 29, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +21%

On tap at the Blues Brews and BBQ fest in Charleston, WV.

Poured dark, cloudy yellow into a pint cup. No head due to pour, but some lacing. Fairly high on the carbonation.

Aroma of toasted malt and wheat. No hops in the nose.

Tastes crisp, but hoppier than the smell lets on. Yeast-y finish. Not bad at all.

Dry start, round middle, dry finish. Good drinkability for a hot summer evening.

One of the better Hefe's I've had lately. It came across more like an APA than a Hefe.

rabsten, Jun 26, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a very solidly opaque orangeish color. Almost bordering on brownish in parts. And it's beyond being just cloudy. Honestly not the most appetizing hue. Thankfully the head is a pretty nice, thick white foam.

Smell: Very light smell, but mostly wheat and citrus (lemon) with maybe a bit of banana. Relatively sweet.

Taste: Wheat, unidentifiable citrus, and... bitter hops? The bitterness (maybe not hops, but it is a hoppy bitterness) is mostly in and towards the aftertaste, but it really out of place. Overall, the taste is alright, but is missing many of the key flavors found in hefeweizen.

Mouthfeel: Definitely a medium-bodied beer, maybe even a tad heavier. Smooth with light carbonation that's a bit tingly.

Drinkability: A drinkable beer within limits. Alcohol is totally managable, but you've got to ignore the bitterness. Also, a bit on the heavy side.

Sorry folks, but this is not a hefeweizen! More like a cross between an unfiltered wheat beer and an unsuccessful attempt at a hefeweizen. Back when I lived in Iowa I picked up a 6-pack of hefeweizen from the Pacific Northwest with a couple of friends which I liked (as a wheat beer). I thought it was this one, so I picked it up. For my sake, I hope this wasn't it! A very unimaginitive brew -- fine for "just drinking," but not really for enjoying. Color is frankly a bit disgusting at times, taste is off target, and it goes down feeling unnaturally heavy.

If I want a hefeweizen, I'll pick up some Franziskaner. If I want an American unfiltered wheat beer, I'll pick up some Boulevard. Safe to say I won't pick this up again.

mithrascruor, Jun 26, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +19.5%

This one pours a hazy yellow/orange color with a white head. Decent lacing going on.

The aroma is of yeast, citrus, banana, and some clove.

The flavor is estery with some banana and clove presence as well. Very refreshing.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer. Great session beer and excellent for warm weather.

Brian700, Jun 18, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

This pours a cloudy orange with a smallish head that disappears very quickly. Not very impressive looking, thu the color is nice. The smell is light with only a slight wheat, and banana aroma to it. The taste has some lemon citrus and wheat flavors to it ,but once again the flavor is weaker than most Hef's. The m/f is light with the flavors mixing OK, but they are pretty weak. This isn't horrible,but I would look for a different Hefeweizen.

jmz62565, Jun 13, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -22.5%

poured into a pint glass. (bottled on 05.10.06 freshness date)

A-Opaque golden orange. 1" head becomes a thin scum of foam in minutes. Excellent lacing.
S-Some wheat grain sweetness. Some yeast. No lemon.
T-Well, it's lacking the flavor that I found so enticing in this beer on-tap. Yeast is o.k., wheat is o.k., but some stale wet cardboard is there, too, and I'm not diggin' it.
M-Mediocre; lacking in carbonation.
D-Sooo much better on-tap; I'm disappointed with the bottle version.

CRUX: MEDIOCRE WHEAT BEER HERE. ON TAP IS WAAAY BETTER! On-Tap; it's an american classic wheatbeer! Seriously, after having a great experience with this beer on-tap, I was looking forward to this six-pack. It's just not the same. :(

soultrain, Jun 09, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

This is from notes scribbled sloppily on a napkin from Chili's. Served in a weizen glass (though so was everything else on tap there) with a lemon. Note to self: next time ordering a Hefe at a bar, remember to ask for no lemon. Cloudy yellow-orange color, with a fairly small head for a Hefe.

I smelled lemon, mostly. The damned thing probably killed the beer for me. A little bit of a malty taste as well.

Very citrusy, and not just from the lemon slice either. A little bit of a spice in the background. Not incredible, but probably the best beer they had at Chili's.

Medium-bodied and very creamy. Very smooth on the palate.

This was just what I needed on the nearly 100-degree day that I ordered it. Smooth and refreshing, and at 4.7% I wasn't afraid to order two before I went home.

Phocion, Jun 07, 2006
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

Cloudy orangey yellow in the glass. Small white head is gone in a flash. Nice mix of the hops and wheat in the smell. Decent citrusy, orange i guess, taste. Clean, crisp, refreshing. Light mouthfeel. Quite drinkable in the right circumstance, like a sunny So Cal beach. Great session beer for just such a place!

JayTheFinn, Jun 07, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -36.8%

pours out a cloudy light copper colour with a big egg shell white head. lotsa lace. a spicy, dusty aroma; no trademark hefe qualities in the nose. it loses in the taste department, too. there is a grainy flavour and a some hints of banana, but that's about it. some herbal notes are seen as i take a few more sips, but this isn't a true hefe and even as an "unfiltered wheat beer", it lacks. unfortunately, i believe this concoction needs a lemon slice to liven it up a bit. mouthfeel is a bit harsh on top of a medium body. drinkability suffers just because this really is not a good rendition of any type of wheat beer. i'll definitely drink the rest of my six pack, but i'll definitely not buy this again.

budgood1, May 27, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +14%

Yesterday was a big beer day for me. I was literally in the neighborhood of this BBQ joint, so my girlfriend and I stopped for lunch. I asked what was on tap, and after an uninspiring list, the waiter listed this little gem. I'd never heard of it before, so I ordered one.

It was cloudy, but consistent, with a pale yellow color. It was supposed to be served with a lemon, (which would have helped the taste a bit,) reminding me a bit of the Sam Adams Summer Ale.
Nevertheless, it wasn't too bad. I'd had some bad hefeweizens lately, so I was hoping for the best. This one was fairly light, sweet, with a slight citrusy aftertaste. There was also some background spice I couldn't quite identify. It wasn't the best hefeweizen in the world, but it wasn't bad. It'd be great for the middle of summer. A little more of that unidentified spiciness, though, and it would be a more outstanding beer.

DrunkPagan, May 27, 2006