Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Cloudy, golden yellow color, floating sediment throughout, almost no head at all

S- Yeast, bready, faint hints of citrus

T- Oranges, bread, yeast, a little hops

M- Medium bodied, crisp bite w/ oily finish

D- Tastes more like a pale ale than a hefeweizen

This beer isn't too bad but I wouldn't classify this as a hefeweizen at all. If you took the faint flavors of fruits out of it then it would be just a typical american pale ale.

All I can say is this is the best Hefeweizen ever! Pours an excellent light gold color. Body is nice and hazy, and I can't see my fingers through the glass. The smell is soft. The taste is light and subtle, just like a hefeweizen should be. The body is nice and creamy. I could drink this 12 months out of the year! My beer of choice!

2.85/5  rDev -13.6%

22 ounce bottle from Cooke's for only two dollars

Average Hef in my book, a lot of them just taste the same to me, even though some definitely standout (Weihenstephaner)

Good with an orange to add on to its flavor already

Pours with a thin white head, good beer in the hot weather and is highly drinkable

2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

Bottled 4/4/07. Pours a cloudy golden straw, a small head fizzling to nothing but a patchy swirl, no lacing. The aroma has nothing to do with hefeweizens; there is wheat malt, sure, almost bald, but no yeast presence that typifies the hefe styles, no clove, no banana, nothing.

The taste is about the same, a lame wheat malt presence, some pale malts for countering, but nothing to balance, no spices, no fruits, barely any zest even, and for further insult, the hops come out and play an unpalatable presence. The mouth is decent, too much carbonation and bit, something soapy, nothing to save this one. Call this an American Wheat, sure, a little better score, but any way I look at it, its just not good.

2.7/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured with very slight head and no lace. color is a hazy medium amber. Aroma is a nice bavarian weizen. The similarity ends there. Very thin and light carbonation. Flavor is ho hum. Yeasty bitterness that lingers in the finish with a hint of lemon. Had much better micro brewed Bavarian style weizens.

2.42/5  rDev -26.7%

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... It must be a duck. This is kind of how I feel after drinking this beer.
Pours a bright orange, murky cloudy color with a big fluffy white head that sticks around all the way through this session. Smell is a little spices and orange peel that makes me think this will be a very nice Hefe. However the taste is indescribeable. All I taste is off flavored biscuit malt. My friend and I each had 2 bottles and the taste was nowhere near close to the smell or appearance on this one.

3.4/5  rDev +3%

I had this at Ruby Tuesday's at the mall while shopping with my fiance.

A - Cloudy, murky carrot-juice orange (V-8 without the tomatoes?) with a small grayish head and a tiny bit of lace. Looks dull and thick.

S - Fresh bread dough, yeast, and some nice orange hop notes. No hefe aromas really, smells more like a pale ale.

T - Citrus orange-juice flavors abound, and some malty bready flavors are underneath. Hefeweizen? You gotta be kiddin' me....this is a pale ale if I ever tasted one. It's biscuity in the malt department and moderately hopped with fruity citrus orange juice flavors. I may have a mild wheat twang, but it ain't no hefe.

M - Tart, medium bodied, quite carbonated, and bitter with lots of hop notes on the of-dry finish.

D - Good enough. It's way off for the style, but as a beer it's not bad. It's a pretty boring but tasty pale ale. Nothing stands out, but it went well with my turkey burger, and at a restaurant like RT's where they only have about six micros it's not a bad choice.

Bottle with a stamp of APR2007, it is AUG2007...

Poured into a pint glass with only spotty head retention. Opaque yellow/orange color. Smell is faint, mostly citrus smell. Tastes pretty good. Smooth and bitter, with very faint hints of citrus which could be brought out with a small slice of lemon. Mouthfeel is not too great. Although it tastes smooth it does not feel too smooth. I rate the drinkability low because I couldn't picture myself drinking too much hefeweizen. Good hefeweizen staple.

3.8/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- This beer exemplifies what a hefeweizen should look like in my opinion. Cloudy orange color with a nice head that is very light and fluffy without having a "fizzy" look.

S- The smell is pretty decent, nothing too exciting. Wheat, slightly sweet, subdued citrus notes, to my suprise I really don't smell as much fruit as I was expecting.

T- The taste is good, strong wheaty flavor with a slight sweetness. Again nothing too exciting, but well balanced.

M- The mouthfeel is very carbonated and semi thin while still maintaining a higher viscosity than a generic brew from one of the big guys.

D- This is where this beer really strives in my opinion. I truly could drink these things all night long. Not offensive or distinct enough to tire me out while still having a solid hefeweizen flavor.

3.78/5  rDev +14.5%

So, going to Grandma’s for dinner tonight, and had to pick up a six pack to bring. Only problem was the only store I would be near would be the Bi Lo. So, I reluctantly went into there and started to look around. So this 6 pack sitting on the shelf and it started to intrest me. I figured it’s a brewer I had not tried, and a style that I love(and so does Grandma) so what the heck, it is Bi Lo after all, so this was the best I was going to get. Lets see how it goes….

A – Poured a nice, slightly hazy pale golden amber. Very nice two inch head hung over the top of it for a good few minutes, before reluctantly fading away to leave about a quarter inch layer along the top. Decent side glass lace was present throughout. Great visible carbonation, lots of bubbles were trickling up from the bottom of the glass throughout the entire time. Look was good overall, classic for a hefe. Very nice sediment on the bottom made it very obvious this was an unfiltered beer from the start.

S – Aroma was very light and pleasant. Almost too light would be the only fault. Took a bit before you could actually pick up what was really driving it. Nice light yeast like smell was dominating, followed by hints of Banana and some other light fruits. A touch of some light grassy or grain in the back as well. Did not really have too much of a punch in aroma, but was light and pleasant.

T – First impression of the taste was very light. Decent grainy taste right up front with a touch of fruit. Light and not really to stand outish at first. Had a touch of a bready feel as I went on when a lot of the wheat started to come out. Pretty standard fair here actually, an average Hefe and not much else to say about the flavor, other then there was a tiny amount of some almost lemon like twang to it in the finish, not sure what it was or where it came from.

M – Really smooth. Lots of carbonation was evident from the very start. Had a good lively mouthfeel. Not watered or oily. Just a light feel. Nice sediment at the end went down without issue. The unfiltered nature of it added a lot of the fell and made it a good bit fuller.

D – Great, as most of the style are. I really did not know what the abv was at the time of review, but these went down like water. The aforementioned sixer was gone in no time. Could have easily been an all night drinker for everyone. Very good hot weather brew here. Lightness kept you from getting that full feeling, and the carbonation kept it intresting. Had some in glass and in the bottle, and it was easy going both ways.

Overall this was a classic hefe, the taste did not really knock me over in any way. But I was not really looking for something to overwhelm me, so that actually worked out well. If it is a classic, easy drinking, brew you are looking for this was absolutely fine. Nothing spectacular, but just a good all around brew. Worth a try

3.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Widmer Hefeweizen glass.

Had a small, white head that quickly diminished. Nice appearance. Cloudy, orange color.

Aroma was banana, clove, yeast and coriander.

Taste was light, but refreshing, especially on a warm summer day. Had a slightly spicy, lightly bitter finish.

Not my favorite beer in the world, but it's nice every now and then, especially during summer. Drinkability is pretty high.

3.03/5  rDev -8.2%

This hefe should be marketed more as a "hefe light." They say its a hefe, its classified as a pale wheat so I'm confused but so were the Widmer Bros. when they labeled this a hefe. The only characteristic it shares with a good hefe is the appearance. Nice, thick head, good lace left behind, and a murky-orangish-copper color to it. Smells nothing like a traditional hefe, bread smell stands out most. Taste is somewhat bland, no real fruit characteristics that I could pick up at least. Easy drinking though, carbonation is dead on and leaves a somewhat pleasant aftertaste. A lemon or orange slice does compliment this beer well but overall average at best.

2.78/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip style duvel glass

A- a foggy golden ale with a pretty white head that left a decent lacing around the glass

S- Yeasty and wheat make up the majority of the scents, a little scant on the intensity, a little maltiness

T- a relatively light wheat flavor starts the drink, which is enjoyable, however it turns into a watery light taste that has a kind of light macrolager pilsner style finish which is pretty dissapointing

M- a little light, medium/sharp carbonation

D- ehh, not bad, however it was a little disapointed, and there are much better, not a bad intro for macro drinkers into having a little more flavor in their beer

2.9/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from the bottle a cloudy staw color with very little head and lacing. Weak, faint aroma of wheat. Tastes very smooth, somewhat creamy, decent carbonation, but very bland for a hefe weizen. Wheat, yeast and banana flavors were weak. Nothing stood out other than I was surprised how bland it was. I was expecting more flavor. Finished nicely, a little dry, yet refreshing. Easily drinkable...would make a great session beer in that it's so very smooth and not complex at all. Overall, I was disappointed in this hefe weizen. I would drink it if offered, but won't buy it. It does not stack up to the great hefe weizen's out there. However, it is a decent beer, just not a great hefe.

3.2/5  rDev -3%

I've been saving this one in my fridge for a while now...but am not quite as impressed as I thought I'd be with it. Nice color....hardly any smell OR taste. Tastes a tad "citrusy" with a tiny hop bite at the end, but that's about it. Very thin, but I'm sure it's highly drinkable. It's about 96 degrees today here in PA, so it's a good beer on days like this. I popped a lemon wedge in the glass just to help out. Refreshing...yes. Worth seeking out for a spectacular drinking experience?...No. I graduated high school in Oregon, so it's cool that this brew is from the Northwest. Actually, it's my first beer from Oregon, sad to say, as I've heard great things about OR breweries. Gotta try more, and soon! So many beers, so little time. Anyway, if you have the chance to try this on a hot day....go ahead, and you won't hate it. Doubt you'll fall in love with it, though. Stay cool during these dog days, my BA friends! Cheers!

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Bubbly half inch head, cloudy straw and orange

S: Hints of orange and wheat that's it, not too far removed from the Sierra Nevada version of this beer.

T/MF: Sort of creamy wheat then finishes quite dry

D: Meh. This beer is pretty unremarkable

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured into pilsner glass.

A- Cloudy dark yellow, very light head
S- Not much there
T- very typical of a hefeweizen, good body with a yeasty finish
M- medium body, fairly smooth
D- easily drinkable, great on a hot day

Overall one of the more boring Hefeweizens I have had, not a horrible beer but it is missing something.

2.53/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a cloudy yellow golden with a nice foamy white head with nice retention.

Smell. Touches of lemon citrus and dry roasted malts. Not too pleasing for me.

Taste. Similar to the aroma. The malts are dominant to the point that the flavors of clove or banana are not present. Says hefeweizen, but certainly tastes like an american wheat ale the site has it for. I also wonder some about the yeast strain, as it is throwing me off. Aftertaste has a little spice in it that is nice.

Mouthfeel. Body is light and a little empty. Carbonation is at a lower level than i would have liked.

Overall, i am not a fan of this beer. There is nothing in here that i particularly like, other than it is rather easy to swallow. Has some characteristics of a lager imo. I think i will skip this one for now on.

2.95/5  rDev -10.6%

This is my first review, keep that in mind. I bought this at my local Hanaford supermarket because the date on the label was clearly marked and plently fresh.

A - Slightly cloudy, straw color with foamy white head that lasts forever and laces solidly down the pint glass

S - Doesn't smell very strong. The wheat is defiantly prominent.

T - See above. Maybe a light bit of typical wheat beer characteristics, not too much dancing on my tongue if ya know what I mean.

M - Only a little smooth, thin, and not all that refreshing.

D - Easy drinking, however nothing really stands out. A decent beer to quench your thirst on a hot day.

2.28/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours a cloudy, pale yellow color with a good head, decent retention, and leaves a tiny amount of lacing (poured from a bottle into a Weizen glass). The aroma in not quite as impressive, however, being moderately malty, grainy, and wheaty. The taste goes along with this, also not quite as good as I thought it would be. Wheaty, grainy. The mouthfeel is fairly light with a good amount of carbonation. Easy to drink, but not that impressive, I picked this up on the way to a party and was kind of disappointed. Try one out if there's nothing else better to drink.

2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

Overrated.

Taste is thin, with a faint hint of hops and a citrus aftertaste, but not much else. The mouthfeel is watery, and for a hefeweizen it feels more like club soda.

I'm starting to see this brew everywhere, and it's beginning to get irritating. It barely qualifies as a hefeweizen, IMHO, and the taste is bland and unappealing.

3.2/5  rDev -3%

On tap at Fit-Z's in Watertown, MA.

A: Pours a hazy, straw-colored orange. Light head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: A light wheat smell. Tiny amount of hops, but not much else.

T: The taste is fairly average, matching with the smell. A tiny amount of hops are evident, but the malt and wheat flavors are the dominant ones. A little sweetness from the malt tempers the overall wheat flavor.

M: Thin, similar to a Harpoon UFO or other hefeweizen. However, it's fairly appropriate to the style.

D: This is a drinkable beer. It's not my favorite hefeweizen, but on a hot summer day, I could definitely see throwing a few of these back. Not bad overall, but not my first choice in the style.

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy, deep straw to orange color with a rich head that could have stood to be a bit bigger. Nose was rich wheat with not much spice; nice but fairly neutral. Pretty typical for an American wheat. Flavor was about the same. Body was light-to-medium with a slight bitterness in the finish. OK, maybe a tad bland. Mouthfeel was appropriately creamy for the style. Drinkability was good.

A decent, drinkable summer beer. Probably overrated but there's nothing wrong with it.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

Served at just below cellar temp in a pilsner glass, no lemon wedge.

Hazy apricot colored with a white foamy head that settles down quickly, leaving no lace.

Aroma of biscuity pale malt, some butterscotch amd ripe pear.

Flavor is initially malty, somewhat bready, with very understated notes of lemon citrus and phenols, and even some buttered corn poking through. A faint yeasty flavor emerges, but doesn't assault the pallete.

Fairly full mouthfeel, moderately carbed. Perhaps not my first choice depending on whatever else may be available, but a decent summer beer, pretty drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

This will be the first time I'm having this, and I do not expect an authentic Munich-style hefeweizen. I see the BA designation for it is an American Pale Wheat Ale, so I'll be assessing it as such.

APPEARANCE: Poured into a 40 cl hourglass-shaped not-so-weizen glass with the swirl of yeast. It's a hazy golden yellow with what starts out as a one-finger white head. It drops quickly but still leaves a hearty collar and a large bubbly patch.

SMELL: The smell is oddly pungent with some earthy hops and pale wheat. Not too intense and no yeasty aromas are detectable.

TASTE: Very neutral. Wheat is obvious, and the hops detected in the smell carry over to the taste, though definitely not as intense. It starts a little bitter before the sweet wheat takes over. There's really just not much going on here.

MOUTHFEEL: A nice medium light body is quite appropriate, but the carbonation is very, very low which is not what I want from a supposedly refreshing wheat beer.

DRINKABILITY: This beer could improve upon a lot of things, but it really is fairly drinkable anyway. And it's certainly not outside the realm of its style.

Ok, I'm not buying this again. If it had a better carbonation level, this would great for picnics and horseshoes, but as it is, I'll pass.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company