Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

Served at just below cellar temp in a pilsner glass, no lemon wedge.

Hazy apricot colored with a white foamy head that settles down quickly, leaving no lace.

Aroma of biscuity pale malt, some butterscotch amd ripe pear.

Flavor is initially malty, somewhat bready, with very understated notes of lemon citrus and phenols, and even some buttered corn poking through. A faint yeasty flavor emerges, but doesn't assault the pallete.

Fairly full mouthfeel, moderately carbed. Perhaps not my first choice depending on whatever else may be available, but a decent summer beer, pretty drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

This will be the first time I'm having this, and I do not expect an authentic Munich-style hefeweizen. I see the BA designation for it is an American Pale Wheat Ale, so I'll be assessing it as such.

APPEARANCE: Poured into a 40 cl hourglass-shaped not-so-weizen glass with the swirl of yeast. It's a hazy golden yellow with what starts out as a one-finger white head. It drops quickly but still leaves a hearty collar and a large bubbly patch.

SMELL: The smell is oddly pungent with some earthy hops and pale wheat. Not too intense and no yeasty aromas are detectable.

TASTE: Very neutral. Wheat is obvious, and the hops detected in the smell carry over to the taste, though definitely not as intense. It starts a little bitter before the sweet wheat takes over. There's really just not much going on here.

MOUTHFEEL: A nice medium light body is quite appropriate, but the carbonation is very, very low which is not what I want from a supposedly refreshing wheat beer.

DRINKABILITY: This beer could improve upon a lot of things, but it really is fairly drinkable anyway. And it's certainly not outside the realm of its style.

Ok, I'm not buying this again. If it had a better carbonation level, this would great for picnics and horseshoes, but as it is, I'll pass.

I bought this recently because my store was out of Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse. What a disappointment this was. Nothing offensive, but definitely lacking in taste. Minimal head for a hefe. More spicy and no fruit character like German hefes. Easy to drink, but not satisfying like Paulaner, Franziskaner, or Weihenstephaner, or even King Ludwig Weiss.

3.38/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Widmer Hefeweizen pours a cloudy, light orange with a thin white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a light citrus aroma. Malty up front, followed by a nice hop flavor for balance. No clove or banana to speak of. As the beer warms wheat flavors become more prominent and a touch of citrus becomes evident. This isn't a bad beer, but it's not a hefe. Decent for an American wheat ale. Worth a try.

3.21/5  rDev -2.7%

This stuff looks off-putting, like a cloudy something or other that sat in a urinal a couple of days.

At least it didn't smell or taste that way. Not too bad actually, pretty much like a hefe should, a little citrusy, light fruity/malty/hoppy character. Overall, Okay.

This is probably closer to a true hefe than a lot of them out there (Shiner for example), drinking it out of the bottle will insure the appearance doesn't get to you and all in all a reasonably pleasant beer. For the most part I like Widmer's offerings, this one though, a bit disapointing. **My humble opinion of course**

Girlfriend likes it so on that scale I give it a 5.

2.85/5  rDev -13.6%

I found this kind of bland for a wheat beer...but not all together bad.It went down easy and left no real aftertaste,but I expected more flavor.I would have it again,because it was not undrinkable...but I have had better.Worth a try if you have never had a wheat beer and want to work your way up to the stronger flavored ones.

2.65/5  rDev -19.7%

A - Murky honey-orange that disguises any sedement or carbonation that may be lurking inside. Fluffy eggshell head quickly recedes to lacing.

S - Faint bananas, cloves, and incense(?!) on top of a wheaty malt body that ends with some sterile phenolic notes.

T - Wheaty malts, a tinge of grassy / bitter hops that finish with a very subtle banana aftertaste. Overall, very little flavor.

M - Thin, heavily-carbonated.

D - Not very impressed with this. Served ice-cold it's probably a decent summer ale, but it tastes very mass-produced.

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a cloudy, light honey color (like unfiltered apple juice). The head started off dense (if not thick) and promising, but settled as quickly as I could turn away and then look back at the glass. It didn't disappear completely, but stayed around as a very, very thin film. Smell was a split between citrus (more lemon than anything else) and a pleasant yeastiness.

First taste was all about citrus, still mild, but the lemon lingers in the aftertaste. Under the citrus --forgive the wine-speak blather b/c I'm not really sure how else to describe it---is an earthy chewiness, which is likel the yeast on top of the wheat. I'm not a habitual drinker of wheat beer, so I guess was expecting a cleaner, dryer taste. This said, the Widmer's taste wasn't unpleasant. The earthy part of the taste picks up toward the end. I liked this changing quality. High marks for the mouthfeel.

Considering I'm not a big fan, I'm actually giving this beer higher the average score for drinkability because--although it's not my personal favorite--I would choose it over other beers. A solid find.

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

A rich looking pour; golden, hazed and nice white head leaps from the glass...er, plastic cup! I know, I know. Good ole LoDo in Denver.
Anyway, lemon was refused. I could smell a hint of wild yeast and citrus in this brew. I gave it a 3.5 because it doesn't have any 'bad' smells, as most of the other APWAs I have tasted possessed. so, above average.
yet the taste was average. Couldn't detect any citrus, or lemon, or wheat characterstics. yet, again, not bad. It was crisp, and better than a lager on the sunny day. I had three of these; it trumped the SA Boston Lager for my choice.

3.11/5  rDev -5.8%

I wanted to give this a better review -- the only other time I had this was after my sister-in-law's wedding ceremony when I'd finally gotten my screaming 1-year-old upstairs with the sitter so I could come down and join the party. It was a boiling hot day and the ceremony was out in the sun. i needed somehting refreshing and the bartender recommended it. I was in no mood to analyze its qualities; in that context the beer just plain hit the spot. Period.

A year later, I'm back on the West Coast and I try this on tap to see if it's as enjoyable as I remember. Turns out it was mostly context. Pours a hazy pale yellow with very little head and what there is doesn't hold its shape at all. Not much smell to speak of -- maybe some faint yeasty and lemony notes. The taste was not bad but not memorable -- certainly not a hefeweizen to tell the truth. Dominated by yeasty breadiness with some traces of citrus and a surprisingly bitter finish. None of the banana, bubblegum and cloves you'd expect from a hefe. The mouthfeel was crisp and carbonated, albeit more watery than I would have liked. Drinkability, however, was a strong suit. It still remains an excellent quenching brew -- a great refresher. Just not what you'd order if you want a real hefeweizen. It's still a very drinkable, refreshing American wheat beer that's more enjoyable in my opinion than most designated "summer brews."

2.42/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a cold bottle into pint glass. About an inch of head remained at the top. Had a very foggy appearance and you couldn't see through it, which is a good sign for a hefeweizen. Had a nice light amber color. I couldn't sense any smell from it... it really was missing. Smell doesn't make the beer though. For a hefeweizen, I thought this beer was quite bland. It didn't really have a wheaty finish or leave my tastebuds with anything. It didn't taste bad, but it had no distinct flavor. However, it went down fairly smooth, and did not leave my mouth with any aftertaste. It's drinkable, especially in the summertime, but I wouldn't reach for another one. Overall, I wasn't too impressed, but maybe it was just a mediocre batch.

3.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can't believe I've never reviewed this beer! Had it on many occasions; if I'm not mistaken, this was the very first Oregon beer I tried when we moved here 8+ years ago. Today's beer comes from an office-furnished 6-pack, a 12'ozer poured to a pint-glass, NOT garnished with lemon wedge. Beneath the cap reads, "A PROST: To Randomness. And Gouda. Petunias". :)

A: Milky/cloudy pour, a thick wheaty-gold. Still probably the densest of the unfiltered pale wheat/"hefeweizens" I've come across. Thin white head, dwindling quickly to a swirling film.

S: Smells of wheat, grass, a little squeeze of lemon and a mildly spiced yeast. Maybe even some clove & banana; funny, this is one of the few times I've ever smelled this beer and thought it bore any resemblance to a German Hefeweizen. But I swear it's there...

T: Dry hops, ample wheat with a faint sweetness, some lemon zest. Hops are quite herbal and there's a layer of spiciness that's pretty good. Finish is dry and slightly medicinal in the bitterness.

M: Crisp and light-medium bodied. Moderate carbonation, seems just the right amount of fizziness. Aftertaste is mostly clean with some lingering hoppy bitterness and a hint of stickiness.

D: An enjoyable beer. This one has become so ubiquitous in Oregon and, more and more, nation-wide. Still, I've always enjoyed the Widmer Hefeweizen & thought it was an easy one to drink, sessionable and summery. Almost a 'classic' NW beer at this point. Thanks, Kurt & Rob!

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Has a pretty cool look to it, with the frothy foamy head. the head sticks pretty well to the glass and the color of hazy wheat is nice too. it seems to die a little too quick for me but it still looks ood while it lasts.

S: weak smell of yeast and straw, nothing to dominate or bad

T/M:A little sweetness with a healthy boast of yeast. its not bad but does not come at you with a different style. it seems like it might be a good warm weather beer, or session style beer. more flavor than your average beer, but nothing special enough to take special note.

3.48/5  rDev +5.5%

A - golden peach colored hazy liquid with full frothy head that allows for nice clinging layers of lace

S - Faintly fruity and mildy spicy peppery aromas

M - Thin and sweet -feel that collapses onto the sides of my tongue: light and rather uneventful

T - A mild carbonation brings the light wheat flavors to the taste buds. A generally sweet but very mild essence of wheat and extremely light malt. A hint of lemon and a slightly salty finish give the ale a bland inoffensive flavor.

D - lighly fruity and quaffable as a thirst quencher or lawnmower ale. Not as full flavored or as effervescent as true Weizens go, but passable as an american wheat. I would probably not seek this out since the flavor seems to have declined since I first tasted this.

On tap a Bubba Gump's in Fort Lauderdale.

A very beautiful beer, completely unfiltered, and considering it has traveled across the country, it's held up nicely. Listed as a Hefeweizen by the brewery, on BA as an APWA...wtf??? Does not drink like a Hefe, more like a cask EPA; drinkability is high because of the low ABV. Drinks like a nice summer treat, a good alternative to expeditiously boring Hefe's that the littleBigs are putting out.
I will definatley be looking for this beer this summer on the beach.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

12 oz. bottle dated 03/07/07 poured into a weizen glass

Pours a cloudy golden straw color with a little over a finger of nice creamy white head and some spotty lacing. Aroma is fairly subtle overall, mostly yeast with some wheat. Taste is fairly nondescript. Light wheat and yeast flavors with the faintest hints of banana and citrus at the finish. Mouthfeel is ok, nice medium body, low to moderate carbonation. Drinkability is just above average, this is a great beer for a hot summer's day but thats pretty much it. I like hefes so this is, overall, a bit of a letdown. I think Widmer would be better off not calling this a hefe as it really lacks some of the traditional characteristics of the style.

3.12/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from an ice cold bottle into a clean Weissen glass.

It poured cloudy and thick in appearance with a quarter inch stark white head that slowly shrank away.

It smelled like bread on a humid day. Sweet but bland.

It tastes slightly tart, eather from the wheat or perhaps a slight touch of hops. It is clean and medium bodied.

It is a fairly good beer. I could drink a couple of these back to back.

3.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Widmer Hefeweizen was a tasty surprise that I found at the local supermarket one afternoon. My local HEB has a habit of sneaking in some unexpected surprises once in a while, and I was not expecting to find this in my small-town grocery store beer aisle.

The Widmer hefe poured fairly cloudy, with a straw background and a decent enough head. The nose was ok, but not exceptional.

The taste was full of wheat and cloves, much like you'd expect from a good hefeweizen. Not much banana came through, but there was a nice citrus flavor in the follow-through. It won't replace Paulaner Hefeweizen in my 'fridge come summertime, but this was a good enough stab at the style that I'll definitely pick it up again.

Good mouthfeel with just the right level of carbonation. Nice and drinkable. Pair it with grilled chicken or seafood. Good job all the way around.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

A- fairly clear yellow body with white head.

S- beery smell. kind of pungent. somem hops and wheat too.

T- somewhat refreshing but too hoppy for a hefe. Has a wheaty yeasty taste too which would put it into this category.

M- high carbonation light body.

D- its pretty drinkable and fairly enjoyable. Not the best ever though. I probably won't have it again. I was somewhat dissapointed by its lack of wheat character.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Never tried this before last night -- it was one of the only non-macros on the menu at the White Horse aside from the WH Ale (of which I'm not a big fan). Poured into a weisse glass, hazy gold with almost an inch of head that left decent rings and lacing. Smelled of yeast and wheat, but not in a particularly appetizing way. Even after I removed the lemon wedge, there was still a slight citrus thing, which might have been the hop.

Fairly one-dimensional taste -- though there was some wheat flavor, it largely tasted like an unremarkable unfiltered pilsner. The body was okay, but the yeasts and malts didn't really balance well, leaving me fairly unsatisfied, which, for a hefeweizen, should be a crisp, refreshing beverage. Disappointing.

3.63/5  rDev +10%

Had this on tap and it's much , much better than the bottled version. I wasn't going to order one....I just asked for a taste out of curiosity....did not like the bottle much.
I was pleasantly surprized at how good it was. I ordered a 1/2 liter. Not that I would put it on par with a German hefe, but a lot more intensity in all aspects than the bottle. Cloudy gold...decent smell of wheat and some faint fruits. Flavor was yeasty and sweet ....very lemony...medium mouthfeel and pretty well carbonated...gassy stuff for sure.
Worth a try on tap....I still won't buy the bottles.

12 oz bottle

Widmer Bros Hefeweizen poured a cloudy [unfiltered] orange color with a small white head. Smell and taste is a little citrus and of light oranges. The body is on the thin side with a light mouth feel and carbonation. An average wheat Ale. Good session beer though.

2.55/5  rDev -22.7%

best thing about this beer is how to looks, poured a golden orange peach color with a white three finger head that held nicely and good lacing. very weak aroma of orange and grapefruit. taste, wheat malts weak, with orange rind and watered down grapefruit. mouthfeel very light could use more carbonation. not a beer i would buy again.

2.27/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours as a cloudy dirty orange with not much of a head.

Smells of citrus and wheat. Taste is plain with some wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel is alright. A little watery and with medium carbonation.

Overall, the Widmer Hefeweizen is a below average hefe. I will not buy this one again, especially with better choices out there.

2.49/5  rDev -24.5%

Like the way it looks, hazy golden yellow/orange. A weak smell, just a little hoppy and a little wheaty. The taste was disappointing overall especially since weizen is my favorite kind of beer. Kind of bland and not as complex as I would like. It had a bit of a barley feel to it, kind of wheaty, not much subtle fruit flavor that I would hope for. It wasn't watered down, it just didn't taste that good to me. Mouthfeel was fine, the beer was actually slightly heavier than I thought it would be. I had one and I was done.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company