Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Troyone

Pours a hazy straw color with a golden hue and minimal head.

Has a slight banana grainy smell.

Lightly/mod sweet/bitter, mod acidic, grainy, and slight banana malt taste.

Lightly/mod bodied, slightly syrupy texture, soft carb, and an ok however kind of bland finish.

Easy to drink, I've had this on tap before and this borderlines a need for lemon (obviously among other factors).

02-04-2006 11:10:35 | More by Troyone
EvilKeith

Alabama

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a murky honey-orange color with a fluffy off-white head that quicky retreats. Respectable lacing along the glass.
Smells like a traditional hefeweizen, but understated. Faint scents of sweet yeast, citrus and the slightest hint of clove.
This is the first time this happened, as the beer warms the scents do not seem to increase their intensity. Very odd.
Medium-light bodied texture. Very underdone, IMO. Weak.

I am a big fan of hefewiezens. If you are not a familiar with hefewiezens this is not the one to start with.

01-25-2006 23:39:47 | More by EvilKeith
RJLarse

Washington

2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

I picked up a couple of American Hefeweizens to taste and compare. I poured this one in to a pint tumbler. Swirled the last inch or so of beer in the bottle to loosen sediments in the bottom. It’s an unfiltered beer, but there were not many sediments.

The beer is a cloudy pale gold color. Pours with an airy white head composed of rather large bubbles. The head dissipates to a thin surface foam and produces significant lacing on the side of the glass.

The beer smells very fruity like lemons or grape fruit.

The beer tastes a little bitter, again like grape fruit. It stings a little on the side of the tongue.

Mouth feel is thin, maybe a little watery, tart and puckering.

This is a drinkable beer, and probably average for an American hefe. Personally I think there are other hefeweizens that are better. I would drink Widmer Hefeweizen again, but if I am buying, or given a choice there are others I would prefer.

01-16-2006 01:20:38 | More by RJLarse
Kulrak

Australia

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a cloudy honey color with a nice fluffy head that is fast dropping to lace. Looks like a hefe should. Smells of yeast and a slight hoppy aroma, not too much though. The taste is very yeasty and slightly bitter. Perhaps I shouldn't have turned the bottle over to mix the yeast in, but hefes should have the sediment mixed in so.... Also some wheat sweetness, but not a whole lot. I expected more. Mouthfeel is nice & creamy. All in all, it's not a bad beer, maybe for a special occasion. Not something I could drink a lot of though.

01-08-2006 04:06:50 | More by Kulrak
DarkerTheBetter

3.9/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer pours a dark honey color that is exceptionally foggy. The head fell almost instantly to a thin film. Smells slightly of oranges, wheat, cinnamon and a dry earth hop. Tastes of pears and bananas with a smooth milky wheat and mild marshmallow base and a mildly hop and yeast dry finish. Mouth feel is medium bodied with a light carbonation that feels very full and thick for a hefe.

01-06-2006 22:05:17 | More by DarkerTheBetter
maddamish

Tennessee

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I had this on tap at Spicey's and buffalo Wild Wings.

Cloudy golden color with a nice sized head that laced nicely.

Taste was more lemony than orange and a bit watered down. Not as thick as some of the better white beers I have had. That being said it was an enjoyable brew that is nice to order when the other options are bud and it's ilk.

01-03-2006 15:20:58 | More by maddamish
loren01

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from glass a very murky yellow color. Slight head and lacing down the glass. Don't know how they make the beer look like that but its one of the cloudier wheat beers I've had, pretty cool looking. Smells slightly sweet of vanilla and bananas, also has a slight yeasty smell. Taste is of wheat with some banana and slight clove spice to it. I didn't really notice any hop flavors present. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, goes down very easy. Widmer Hefe was the first microbrew I ever drank, I loved it right off the bat and I still do. It may not be the best tasting wheat beer out there but, I personally find it very drinkable.

01-03-2006 09:19:49 | More by loren01
Rootdog316

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

Widmer Hefeweizen pours to a cloudy golden color. Swirling a bit of the beer in the bottle before emptying stirs the yeast sediment from its repose, allowing it to be poured into the glass. The nose is slightly malty and citric. Barley malt seems to predominate in the palate, indicating a lower proportion of wheat in the mash. A pronounced grapefruit character is present. Though tart enough to be refreshing and quenching, Widmer Hefeweizen is less so than many other Hefeweizens. Ironically, it seems a bit hoppier in the finish than most as well. A bit better with a slice of lemon.

01-02-2006 20:19:40 | More by Rootdog316
ColoradoBobs

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver, CO.

Very cloudy, darkish orange, with minimal head (the bar-tender poured the head off as he drew it), but decent lacing.

Smell was pretty good, but not as spicey as it should be. More hops here than most H-W's I've had.

Taste had plenty of clove, but less orange and banana, and a heavy note of piney hops. The most bitter of the H-W's I've had, and some people like hops (not me), so this must be the H-W for a hop-head. The server at the Tap House said it was her favorite H-W, but she also likes IPA's. (shudder)

Nice mouthfeel and pretty drinkable due to the low ABV (for a H-W).

Definitely NOT as good as the German H-W's!

12-23-2005 03:53:27 | More by ColoradoBobs
sinistrsam

Maryland

2.68/5  rDev -18.5%

Mistake number one was getting the 22 oz. of this guy. Let me preface my whole spiel with that.
It started off looking half decent. Pale orange, unfiltered, mediocre head. Orange floating in it (mistake number 2).
The smell was very faint hints of yeast and citrus. It smelled like cheap beer. Obviously, I was getting upset about this experience.
The taste clinched it. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate this beer. I guess I just fail to be suprised when disappointed by medicore Hefeweizens. Alcohol, yeast. Thats about it. Some fruits but it tasted forced to me.
It was decently drinkable but after 22 oz. here you wished you had ordered something else. Sitting around with friends this wouldnt be a bad beer, but comparing and contrasting to some of the better ones out there, this can't hold a candle.

11-24-2005 18:44:05 | More by sinistrsam
mynie

Indiana

2.38/5  rDev -27.7%

Used to be redhook but now it's Bud dressed up to seem fancy? Something like that.

Looks like pale gold with a tiny haze. Very unimpressive.

Smells like adjunct metal, feet, and sezlter fuzz. Nothing much. Weak and what little odor there is is bad.

Taste is much more palatable. Smooth. Very little hints of cirtus and wheatmalt against a watery blankness. A bad adjunct aftertaste of metal and sweet kind of kills anything that might have been good about it. Plus this is a goddamn unflitered wheat, not a weizen, and so for the style advertised on the bottle it's incredibly bland.

Mediocre. Not worth what it costs.

11-18-2005 01:36:18 | More by mynie
cokes

Wisconsin

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

A hazed-through, nearly muddy, crayon yellow-orange with a skimming of dirty white.
Wheat bran nose with cursory squeals of lemon zest and chalk.
Begins with a blanched wheat doughiness. And it basically sits here the whole while. Slightly soggy wheat bread. Yeast is floury with the vaguest notions of mashed bananas and limestone. It concludes with a light but astringent burst of lemon peel and and uptick in the stone hues, nodding towards concrete.
Medium built, and feels right in the mouth.
It's certainly an American Wheat as opposed to a true Hefe. Even in that sense, it still only ekes out an utterly skippable average.

11-08-2005 08:15:07 | More by cokes
ski271

2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a murky medium amber with a medium, white, foamy head and some decent lacing. The smell is mostly mild wheat with some light citrus and weak malt. The taste is very typical of a wheat beer with banana, citrus, light clove, and a very light floral hop finish. It has a light-medium body, dry texture and moderate carbonation. Overall, this was just a so-so beer. Not bad, but nothing I’ll buy again. There are better ones out there that cost much less.

10-26-2005 21:12:54 | More by ski271
tavernjef

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

On-tap at McGovern's: Largely hazed dark pale gold hue with a slim whitish/grey blip of foam on top. Stays that way throughout the session while placing minimal lacing in sporatic spotting.

Aroma is fairly fresh if not all together plain without much zip to its presence. Mild toned and lightly musty citrusy lemon hints with an overall wheat spiced faction of malts. A dallop of creamy banana is lightly evident as it warms.

Taste is pretty quick and unmemorable with a very dulled and mild palate structure bringing only a breeze of flavors. Slightly floral and citrusy front; musty, mushy wheat bread center; quick and tender little snap of spice and a drying sense of toasty yeast with banana-ish/melon coated slickness.

The feel isn't helping add or broaden any of the flavors. Kinda low ended with its carbonation and a bit seemingly flat, even from the tap. More malt sided and textured with a quick lighter mediumish body and super faded creamyness.

This was very average and a bit boring. Not much of a hefe here.

10-18-2005 16:51:23 | More by tavernjef
baiser

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

Good try at a hefe. Pours a cloudy pale yellow body, with a large white head. Some spice, citrus, coriander and wheat flavours. Some smooth vanilla flavours too. Finishes clean, dry and sweet. Overall, very easy to drink, but no flavours that stand out. Some fruitiness.

10-08-2005 04:26:49 | More by baiser
GuinnessHero

Mississippi

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

I bought this at the local Wal-mart here since they were out of my usually Guinness. I had Easy Street Wheat in the past, and throughly enjoyed that.

A - Looked typical, a bit orange which makes me feel pretty good for some reason everytime I've seen this.

S - Very nonoffensive which is the best part. After drinking quite a few 211's lately (money issues) I was happy to get that alcohol smell out of my beer. Fruity and delicious.

T - This was actually a really good taste on my pallet. I am a big fan of beers that give you that "bite." Very springy and delicious.

M - Good aftertaste, but left feeling a bit dry, nothing too big though.

D - I couldn't drink this all night honestly, that's what cheaper beer is for anyway. But as a once a day sort of beer, hands down.

Overall I think this is my second or third favourite every-day beer I enjoy. Most reviews on here don't rate it overly high, but I honestly enjoy it. I was disappointed to not have my usual Guinness or Warsteiner, but I really enjoyed this. Thumbs up :)

10-03-2005 01:22:22 | More by GuinnessHero
SaCkErZ9

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

I wasnt too impressed with this Hefe. But in all fairness, I had a terrible waiter/ bartender at an undisclosed restaurant in Boone, NC (see profile and date for more info). Nevertheless...
Was unable to see any head because the bartender didnt allow any to develop. But what head I had was quite pleasant. 1/99 of an inch but thick and left nice lacing.
I didnt detect any predominant smells. No esters or cloves. Tiny bit of fruitiness but nothing special.
Too much hops for a Hefe. I was hoping for a pleasant, light fruity taste but experienced something more of a pale ale with yeastiness and cloudy appearance.
I have had many better Hefes but this will do in an extremely tight pinch.

09-29-2005 01:03:14 | More by SaCkErZ9
ommegangpbr

2.2/5  rDev -33.1%

Pretty bland, pretty boring, pretty unimpressive all around. An uninspired effort for the style. Not a terrible choice when all you have to choose from is Bud/Miller/Coors... but really really lame for the style.
Hazy orange color, not much at all in the way of odor or flavor... really quite watery all around.
Perhaps worth a taste if you are curious but that's about it. Perhaps a tiny baby step to get people to try other brews.
I did, however, appreciate much more the Brooklyn ale that was available.

09-18-2005 23:08:18 | More by ommegangpbr
Naes

2.4/5  rDev -27.1%

Cloudy golden orange in color with a small white fizzy head.
The aroma is of faint wheat
Its flavor has a mild wheat presence, then moves into a touch of citrus.
Light in body and easily drinkable, though I will not be looking for it again.

Although this is not a bad beer, I just think that if you want a hefeweizen, you are better off with something else.

09-16-2005 00:48:08 | More by Naes
PatYoda

2.08/5  rDev -36.8%

Appearance is cloudy orange with no head whatsoever. Not a good sign. Smell is almost nonexistant. A little bit of banana and some citrus. Taste is more of the same. Very watery and not nearly carbonated enough, which took down the drinkability a few notches. Also needs some flavor. Luckily I didn't have to finish my pint as we were leaving the bar.

09-12-2005 18:45:24 | More by PatYoda
Bonhoeffer

Alabama

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

I didn't realize when i purchased and first tasted this that AB owns a stake in the brewery and handles distribution for them, like Redhook. I've since learned of this and in light of the taste of the beer, it surprises me not one bit.

Picked this up on the way to Poker Night, never having tried it before. Wish i hadn't.

T'aint no Hefe, that's for sure. Just an American Pale Wheat, much like SA's self-titled Hefe. Both are boring, lackluster beers with very little flavor.

I won't bother with it again. Feh.

09-12-2005 15:30:18 | More by Bonhoeffer
shbobdb

Indiana

2.2/5  rDev -33.1%

I just moved to Indianapolis and I've been seeing this beer everywhere. In fact, I can't think of a bar I've been to in the past few weeks that doesn't have it! Enjoying a good Weizen, I thought I'd try it out. Wow. This beer is a letdown. Not since Sierra Nevada's abortive attempt at this style have I encountered a beer like this. That isn't to say it is all bad: focus on the lemon aspect of the beer (No, I did most certainly NOT add a lemon, but the lemon flavour in the beer itself), that and several other yeasty aspectsmake the beer interesting. Not good, but not terrible either. But the mouthfeel -- there is none. Nononononono, avoid this beer. I shoulda gone with the Sam Adam's on tap.

09-08-2005 23:12:43 | More by shbobdb
Domingo

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Not a great brew, but certainly a decent one. Not a true Hefe (at ALL), but still doesn't keep this from being a solid warm-weather brew.
Comes out cloudy and orange colored.
The smell is slightly sweet, but with citrus and grainy overtones.
Taste is solid, but not strong. Has a tiny hint of the typical banana/clove hefe-flavor, but tastes more like a typical American wheat beer. More citrus and grain.
Availability on this is growing due to AB having a slight hand in distribution. As long as quality doesn't suffer...no big deal.
A really solid thirst quencher. It's not great, but I'll take it over most macro-lagers or blonde ales.
If you like this one, ODell's Easy Street Wheat or Sierra Nevada Wheat are much better options.

08-31-2005 18:26:25 | More by Domingo
BeerBob

Nebraska

2.03/5  rDev -38.3%

Widmer Brothers “Hefeweizen” pours a very cloudy pale orange from it’s dark brown glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Date bottled on 07/07/05. Head went to just about one finger with a hard pour into a 22oz beer glass. No lace... no ring... no foam cap... Zip, nada, nothing.

Nose is a distinctly burnt wheat malt with a few sour citrus notes. No clove, no banana, and no pepper.

Palate is just as disappointing as the nose, sour burnt wheat with some sting of carbonation.

Widmer Brothers “Hefeweizen” has none of the qualities (save colour) of a “Hefeweizen” worth mentioning... none.

To sum it up in a nutshell, disgusting!

08-30-2005 06:16:23 | More by BeerBob
Bighuge

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Murky, cloudy orange/yellow/vanilla appearance. Slight white foam leaves minimal amounts of lace. A zesty lemon twang is noted in the aroma. A little citrus and yeast as well. The taste is plaesing enough but lacks real character. Lemon citrus thing going on. Very slight vanilla. Wheat spice is detectable. Mouthfeel could use a little boost in the CO2 deparatment. Body is a little better than medium. Decent enough, but not one I'd necessarily need to return to soon.

08-24-2005 04:10:53 | More by Bighuge