Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from an ice cold bottle into a clean Weissen glass.

It poured cloudy and thick in appearance with a quarter inch stark white head that slowly shrank away.

It smelled like bread on a humid day. Sweet but bland.

It tastes slightly tart, eather from the wheat or perhaps a slight touch of hops. It is clean and medium bodied.

It is a fairly good beer. I could drink a couple of these back to back.

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

Widmer Hefeweizen was a tasty surprise that I found at the local supermarket one afternoon. My local HEB has a habit of sneaking in some unexpected surprises once in a while, and I was not expecting to find this in my small-town grocery store beer aisle.

The Widmer hefe poured fairly cloudy, with a straw background and a decent enough head. The nose was ok, but not exceptional.

The taste was full of wheat and cloves, much like you'd expect from a good hefeweizen. Not much banana came through, but there was a nice citrus flavor in the follow-through. It won't replace Paulaner Hefeweizen in my 'fridge come summertime, but this was a good enough stab at the style that I'll definitely pick it up again.

Good mouthfeel with just the right level of carbonation. Nice and drinkable. Pair it with grilled chicken or seafood. Good job all the way around.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

A- fairly clear yellow body with white head.

S- beery smell. kind of pungent. somem hops and wheat too.

T- somewhat refreshing but too hoppy for a hefe. Has a wheaty yeasty taste too which would put it into this category.

M- high carbonation light body.

D- its pretty drinkable and fairly enjoyable. Not the best ever though. I probably won't have it again. I was somewhat dissapointed by its lack of wheat character.

2.83/5  rDev -14.2%

Never tried this before last night -- it was one of the only non-macros on the menu at the White Horse aside from the WH Ale (of which I'm not a big fan). Poured into a weisse glass, hazy gold with almost an inch of head that left decent rings and lacing. Smelled of yeast and wheat, but not in a particularly appetizing way. Even after I removed the lemon wedge, there was still a slight citrus thing, which might have been the hop.

Fairly one-dimensional taste -- though there was some wheat flavor, it largely tasted like an unremarkable unfiltered pilsner. The body was okay, but the yeasts and malts didn't really balance well, leaving me fairly unsatisfied, which, for a hefeweizen, should be a crisp, refreshing beverage. Disappointing.

3.63/5  rDev +10%

Had this on tap and it's much , much better than the bottled version. I wasn't going to order one....I just asked for a taste out of curiosity....did not like the bottle much.
I was pleasantly surprized at how good it was. I ordered a 1/2 liter. Not that I would put it on par with a German hefe, but a lot more intensity in all aspects than the bottle. Cloudy gold...decent smell of wheat and some faint fruits. Flavor was yeasty and sweet ....very lemony...medium mouthfeel and pretty well carbonated...gassy stuff for sure.
Worth a try on tap....I still won't buy the bottles.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz bottle

Widmer Bros Hefeweizen poured a cloudy [unfiltered] orange color with a small white head. Smell and taste is a little citrus and of light oranges. The body is on the thin side with a light mouth feel and carbonation. An average wheat Ale. Good session beer though.

2.55/5  rDev -22.7%

best thing about this beer is how to looks, poured a golden orange peach color with a white three finger head that held nicely and good lacing. very weak aroma of orange and grapefruit. taste, wheat malts weak, with orange rind and watered down grapefruit. mouthfeel very light could use more carbonation. not a beer i would buy again.

2.23/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours as a cloudy dirty orange with not much of a head.

Smells of citrus and wheat. Taste is plain with some wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel is alright. A little watery and with medium carbonation.

Overall, the Widmer Hefeweizen is a below average hefe. I will not buy this one again, especially with better choices out there.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Like the way it looks, hazy golden yellow/orange. A weak smell, just a little hoppy and a little wheaty. The taste was disappointing overall especially since weizen is my favorite kind of beer. Kind of bland and not as complex as I would like. It had a bit of a barley feel to it, kind of wheaty, not much subtle fruit flavor that I would hope for. It wasn't watered down, it just didn't taste that good to me. Mouthfeel was fine, the beer was actually slightly heavier than I thought it would be. I had one and I was done.

3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

Hazy, golden yellow body with suspended yeasties. Small, short-lived, off-white head. Looks like a hefeweizen with its head chopped off. Light biscuity-wheat malt with a light apple fruitiness, and big lemongrass hops. Tangy citrus hop flavors out front, followed by thin wheat malt. Light crisp lemon flavors. Meek malt presence, and mild yeast flavor. Dry finish. Appetizing and refreshing, but not overly exciting. Moderate body with a spritzy feel. Not bad, but kind of boring.

2.85/5  rDev -13.6%

Had this as a sample on tap during the tour of the Redhook brewery, and thought it wasn't bad. Wanted to grab a single to see if this was decent in the bottle as it's relatively cheap around here, and had a chance to make it to the fridge if it were any good.
Pours a clouldy yellow-orange with a scummy bubbly head. Unfiltered, which I dig. Aroma is..smells like bud on wheat? Sadly...hmmm. Whats that unmistakable macro aroma? Is it 6-row barley? Hard to know why it's so recognizable, but it's there. Very yeasty and sweet underneath, the aroma not totally unpleasing, but due to association, it's a bad smell. Taste is also bud like...this is colder than I wanted it, but theres that bud-like after taste too, and it's rather unlike when I enjoyed it on tap. There is some hop kick, but it seems overly...stale or something. I won't drink this again in the bottle, but will try it on tap again possibly. Mouth feel is medium light for a wheat beer especially. Drinability, is okay overall, nothing crazy, and I'll recommend this to macro drinkers at the local sports bar where they have it, but I was hoping I would like this more...sad.

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a very nice cloudy yellow/golden color. A nice fluffy head, but it dissipates quickly.

Not much nose for a weizen - no banana, a hint of clove. Medium mouthfeel - traditional hefeweizen flavors fail to develop. An easy drinker, but really doesn't meet what I expect from style.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

I'm sampling this beer at a pub in greenwich village while visiting NYC.

Attractive golden heffe beer, appropriately hazy with big white head.

The flavor isn't bad, but it isn't very good either. I am a big fan of heffes, with their nice tang, fresh taste and complex flavors, so maybe that is why I'm being so harsh, but to me this beer was too boring and mild. Mostly I can oick up a little bit of fresh grain malt flavors but even that is marred by being too watery.

If I drink this one again I'll be sure to request a lemon.

3.65/5  rDev +10.6%

So suprise after the pour- a golden yellow straw translucent color filled my glass producing a white head. Moderate to light lacing covered the walls of my tasting glass. the head was short lived.
Beer produced a mild nose with a bouquet hinting of yeast and malt.

Flavor was mild-- almost nondescript-- tidbits of yeast, some hops bitterness here and there, but try as I might I couldn't coin much else in the flavor, besides "mild".

The mouthfeel was cordial as this beer is not particularly robust or complex.

Drinkability is ample-- it doesn't seem like the alcohol content is its main attribute. Given that the flavors are mild it seems that this beer could be a thirst quencher on a hot day. This beer is not one to indulge oneself in should you desire a flavor panorama or discover what a Hefeweizen should be.

3.38/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured to a hazy golden orange, as expected, with medium bodied white head that lingered for a while and left okay lacing. Aroma was cookie dough and yeast, but no real spices found in your better wheats. Mouthfeel was slightly tingly, but not spicy, and flavor was more along the dough line, leading to a smooth, but short, finish.

This was not a bad beer at all, but just not exactly what I would expect of a wheat. While I’m not generally a fan of fruit garnishes in beer, I actually think this would be the best served cold on a hot day, with a slice of lemon or orange. I’ll give it a go this summer.

2.98/5  rDev -9.7%

A bit disappointed by this beer. I love Hefeweizens, but this one let me down.

Appearance: A beautiful looking beer, one that invites a drink. Nice cloudy golden color; liquid sunshine. A really nice thick head with fragile brewer's lace ringing the inside of my pilsner glass.

Smell: Not much of any smell at all. Was expecting a pleasant yeasty smell, but here, not much to speak of, only a hint of yeast.

Taste: Overall pretty bland. Couldn't really distinguish this from a light lager, much less a Hefe. Light yeast taste but no hints of the fruit or hops I'm accustomed to with a Hefe.

Mouthfeel: Thick feel to it, but not much substance to back it up.

Drinkability: It's doable, and I would drink this again if that's all I've got in the fridge. However, it was a bit of a letdown from previous Hefes I've tried. Maybe it doesn't travel well from Oregon to Alabama?

3.48/5  rDev +5.5%

I am going to review this as what it is. It is a Hefewezen. This beer is a good example of a Hefeweizen. While it is not a IPA or something strong, but it was never intended to be such.
Smells of banana citrus and a lemon smell, which follows shortly afterwards. The ale is a great example of a cross between the German and American Hefeweizen. As we all know the German brand is a bit more banana than that of a American.
Taste, you can taste the wheat that is followed by citrusy/ banana taste. may not be as strong as the Paulaner but still good
Mouthfeel: When I drink beer, I expect a strong mouthfeel this one is quite a bit more mellower.
Appearance: Just like a hefey this is cloudy, I would be amazed if a beer claimed to be a hefey and wasn't cloudy. This beer is so cloudy that I can't see from one end to the other.

2.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured a hazy yellow color with a small white head that dissapeared completely. Very light aromas of dough and straw with faint spice. Not your usually Hefe on the nose...Taste was mild clove and spice with a sharp bitterness in the end that was a bit unpleasant. Pretty light and easy drinking but the aftertaste knocks down the drinkability for me. Overall I was highly dissapointed with this brew, pass on it unless theres only really bad macros on tap.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

Is my olfactory gland turned off?
Very little spice or citrus in the nose. Disappointing.

Not crystal clear, but this seems to be a filtered wheat. Not very hazy.

Flavor is dull. Did Budweiser buy out Widmer and start watering down the brew with Bud Light? I detect a faint "Budweiser" yeasty finish, almost too bitter - uncommon for this style of beer. Not to my liking.

Mouthfeel is nothing special. Fizzy and light.

Overall, I would not purchase this beer again. Usually, I ask for no fruit in my beer, but this one needs some citrus to wake up the flavors.

3.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

poured into a tall wheat glass with a large bowl on top from a long neck brown bottle with a crimped on cap botlled on date 11/26/06

Cloudy,light golden color, not much head and little carbination. Started to come to life later with a swirl got some carbination and some spotty lacing. Could have been a bit on the cold side. I have served wheat beers this cold before and they didn't look like this. Next time i'll set it out for a few minutes first.

A very clean aroma,what i did pick up was faint,some doughy yeast,a slight hint of bannana,with some light citrus.

A very clean taste,some doughy/bready tastes, not much else of anything. The finish was the highlight of the beer a very crisp refreshing citrusyness.

Light,airy with a nice tang. Very easy drinking, the nice light mouth puckering finish made it extremly drinkable. No real spicy,clovey,yeastness like of a lot of wheat beers. Would be a great summer beer for the ladies or Macro drinker. Give it a try on a hot summer day

3.4/5  rDev +3%

Nice head and nice wheaty and citrusy smell. However the tannins are a bit out of balance and I had to use the lemon wedge in order to get rid of it. Mouthfeel was a little bit weak, but mildly crisp. For a wheat beer, this wasn't that drinkable. For some reason it was on tap at the morango casino and resort. Shouldn't have wasted my time for 4 dollars.

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: Hazy golden color with a thin head. Light lacing appeared as I drank the beer.

Smell: The wheat and orange are the backbone here. There are, also, spices and cloves.

Taste: Very citrusy and then followed by some grain and spices.

Mouthfeel: Light, refreshing, and not overly carbonated.

Drinkability: Not bad, but not great. Maybe too grainy?

2.48/5  rDev -24.8%

At CSUF where I attend school, there's a decent restaurant bar across the street. Unfortunately, they don't have much of a selection of beer on draft, and I wanted to have something decent which I hadn't had in awhile. On to the beer:

It was served with a lemon wedge in with (what a surprise), which I pulled of the rim of the glass. It had good head retention which left lots of lacing on the glass, and a cloudy blonde body. The aroma was faint, and the taste wasn't very exciting; it was a bit tart, yeasty, and finished hoppy. I liked the mouthfeel on it, it was soft and gentle as in went down.

I need to pick better wheat beers next time if I have the choice. I've been let down by the two offerings I've had (this and Sam Adams Hefe). Or maybe I just don't understand them. I'll keep trying...(and 7 months after this review, I now understand wheat beers. Wow, what a difference time makes!)

Update 1-10-08: Recently had some again on-tap. Still looks good, but the aroma was blah, and the feel was harsh and peppery. I've noticed the scores were more favorable once upon a time, so is this beer being dumbed down for greater appeal? The scoring reflects these recent changes.

3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

Back in the days when I was struggling to pay for college I got a job as a Pizza cook. We had Widmer Hefe on tap along with bud and bud light. Anyway, I would toss a few of these back just about every shift so the beer itself brings back memories. I digress. Poured this 12oz brown bottle into a pounder glass it forms a small white head. Very cloudy unfiltered Orange body.

First drink had me thinking this beer is virtually tasteless. As it warmed I started to detect alot of lemon and a slightly peppered backend. Definitely classified correctly in this database as its nowhere near a traditional hefe but rather its an American wheat beer. You won't find any cloves or bananna's or the like. This is strictly a safe offering that is approachable for a big market. I found this to be refreshing and light. Very easy to drink and nothing to think about. I was surpised at the high level of lemon but it works and is taken down by an earthy type wheat bill to settle it down.

Notes: Not a bad offering at all just boring.

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

why oh why did i try this again? the first time i had it i just thought that it was a bad bottle. i've never had a hefe that i didn't at least appreciate. more often than not they're a good choice. oh no! i was wrong. this is not a gentle nor soft hefe, this is a harsh and dry crapfest. perhaps if there was something actually interesting and refreshing about this i wouldn't be bashing it as much.

a - typical hefe with a smaller head and not a great deal of lace.

s - lemons, and grapefruit.

t - a good wheat at first and than the bitter acidic grapefruit that ruins the finish.

m - light light light.

d - definately the last hefe i'd ever drink.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company