Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
BigRedN

Nebraska

3.28/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this on tap tonight at a bar near me that I visited for the first time, I was surprised to see this. First off let me say that IMO, this is not a Hefeweizen, at least not in the way I define them or expect for the style. I think of it more as an American
Wheat beer, like Boulevard Wheat. That being said, my review may be somewhat skewed to this perception.

Appearance: Yellowish, orange and hazy, my wife commented that it looks like orange juice. Actually served in the proper glassware, not ice cold, but with a dang lemon slice. Doh! I should have known there would be one and I forgot to request them to leave it out. Oh well. Poured with little head, but the beer did lace some to the finish.

Smell: Slight hop, citrusy aroma (or is it that lemon), hint of malt and wheat. Overall, a little weak.

Taste: Minimal, made to appeal to the masses, which I think this does. That being said, it does not taste bad, just weak (especially for a hefe). Flavor of citrus fruit (again, I thik it was the lemon), a little wheaty with a hint of malt backing.

Moutfeel: Smooth, light to medium in body. A little dry on the finish.

Drinkability: Very high. I think this beer was made to appeal to as many people as possible, which it does. Not made to be bold, which I can not fault it for. An easy drinker and one worth at least trying when at a sports bar and there may not be many other choices.

07-27-2005 04:30:34 | More by BigRedN
LPorter33

2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = extremely cloudy with sediment everywhere. Absolutely not movement. A yellowish peach color. Not really impressive.

Smell = Pretty standard wheat beer smell.

Taste = Very bitter and bland. Give me bitter beer face. I don't think I'll get through the whole bottle. This is a terrible wheat beer. There's nothing redeeming going on here. It's course, harsh, and flavorless.

Overall = A terrible beer that I'd only serve to my enemies.

07-26-2005 00:52:45 | More by LPorter33
FenwaySquid

3.85/5  rDev +17%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle, freshness date on lable, poured into a hefeweizen glass after rousing.

Appearance: Cloudy amber color, head poured small and faded quickly into a lace.

Aroma: Mainly wheat grains, some hops as well but not too much.

Taste: Mainly wheaty, but rather light. Again, you get a lsight hint of hops in the middle, an unexpected yet pleasant surprise.

Mouthfeel: A little watery, carbonation was good though.

Overall: This beer reminded me of Harpoon's UFO beer, so if you like that one (as I do) you'll like this.

07-19-2005 03:03:31 | More by FenwaySquid
UncleFlip

Alabama

3.98/5  rDev +21%

Golden yellow, hazy head hangs on considerably....not a tight head, loose bubbles.

Smell is light, full of yeast and clove, little bit of malt and banana.

A little heavier and sweeter than I would expect, yeast is not as present as it could be.

Medium body hits right away, then a mild, tight fizziness. It's rather pleasant.

This is very drinkable, though maybe not the best example of style.

Be well
-UF

07-16-2005 04:51:44 | More by UncleFlip
misterscooter

2.5/5  rDev -24%

From its appearance, this beer should be great. It pours out an unfiltered golden color with a nice size head, although large bubbles which quickly disappear. Small bits float about in the cloudy liquid and I expect a nice, spiced, citrus tinged hefe weizen.

I'm surprised by the smile. There really isn't one. It smells a bit like any old beer but that's about it. Not the typical fruits and wheat I expected.

After the lack of smell, I'm not so surprised by the lack of taste. Maybe a little wheaty. Otherwise, a weak, watery beer lacking any character or charm. This guy is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It doesn't feel bad in your mouth but it just doesn't deliver what I thought I'd be getting. Bummer.

I remember at one time appreciating the Widmer beers and their Hefe Weizen but that Busch name seems to have weakened it in more ways than one. If I have another, maybe I should let it warm up a bit more as others have suggested but it didn't seem to get any better as it sat next to me.

07-15-2005 20:36:08 | More by misterscooter
Backer2004

3.85/5  rDev +17%

This is one where I'm going against the grain of other reviewers for sure. Maybe it was because I enjoyed this on my anniversary, but I liked this Hefe. Very cloudy with a beautiful head that lasted a while. Along with the typical Hefe flavors and scents, I noticed a surprisingly nutty taste at the end. A bit on the different side, but well worth a try.

07-06-2005 02:12:30 | More by Backer2004
Truh

New Hampshire

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

Chewed some cud with this one on 6/24/2005. 16-oz. pint at Legends Pool Hall, Portsmouth, NH.

Film only, and then even disintegrating, and nothing else of the stick and lace variety. Very hazy straw color, cannot make your way through the murk. Real kind of cleansing agent quality to the whole nose, with just a hint of sarsaparilla and coriander, side of wheat chaff. Very wet, picnic basket of left-over saltine crackers on mouth, some light clover and anise, but otherwise fairly nondescript, almost too dull.

Drinkable, yes, but just as forgettable.

07-06-2005 00:38:31 | More by Truh
twi1609372

Have to agree with the bros on this, that this beer is slightly better a tad warmer than most like. right off the tap, in an iced glass, this beer looses a lot of it's characheter. it's still very drinkable, but you wont get the true taste that it is should to have. Other than that it is basicly the same as in the bottle. all around decent version of the classic heffeweizen. never had sam adams heffeweizen on tap, but im sure it would be better.

06-30-2005 03:33:45 | More by twi1609372
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

I got a bomber of this a gift and I must admit I drank it after a tough day moving my apartment. This is Hefe done simple and dumbed down for the masses but it hit the spot and I appreciate the hints of cloves and citrus that played hide and seek in the background. Think of this beer as an American Wheat with Hefe inclinations and I believe this is worth trying.

06-29-2005 01:21:33 | More by canucklehead
weeare138

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

Noted just as "Hefeweizen" on the menu. When I asked what kind it was, I was told it was a German style...grrr. Anyway...
Appears a cloudy gold with a 1 inch white fluffy head that dissapates after a minute in the hot Chesepeake City sun. There are actually some decent webbings left on the inside of the glass.
Smell is of lemony citrus, mild wheat, yeast(the famed von Uerige yeast), and spice with a bit of an uneasy skunkiness lingering somewhere in the background.
Taste is ok. Lacks the creamy banana and vanilla notes that are present in several outstanding hefe weizens, even American versions. Taste is of citrusy lemon with a spiciness, notably clove, and some wheat. Other than that, the spice is drowning out everything else that would be remotely sweet in this.
Mouthfeel is overrun with citrus and spice in the medium bodied feel.
Drinkability is ok. If there's nothing else other than the usual suspects, it's worth a gander.

It's ok, dog.

06-27-2005 02:08:22 | More by weeare138
TastyTaste

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

This was a pretty good hefe, served in a 25 oz. mug at old chicago. Good banana flavor, but lacks in many other departments. I think this could've used some bolder malt and spicier clove, but still not bad. It looked like most any other hefe, hazy and gold. I got Oberon immedietly after it, and it blew this beer away.

06-06-2005 04:45:01 | More by TastyTaste
Frozensoul327

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Got a case of this stuff at a deal price. Poured out to a slighly cloudy yellow color with a decent head when poured well. Touches of lace were present around the glass. Aroma of wheat, citrus, and other fruits. The typical hefeweizen. Flavor was rather unremarkable, but not bad. Flavors of fruit, light spice and a small clove like taste were noted. Finished crispy and smooth, with a bit of wheat noticed on the aftertaste. I'd buy this again, but only at the deal price I got it at. There are beter hefes out there, but this is solid. Worth a try.

06-05-2005 16:09:29 | More by Frozensoul327
Viggo

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a very hazy yellow, honey coloured, decent head and good lace. Smells like sweet dried banana chips and bubblegum. Tastes kind of bananaish, bitterness at the end, kind of tart. Light mouthfeel, low carbonation, kind of pleasant but not really that great, theres many better hefe's out there. Thanks sammy.

05-30-2005 00:51:27 | More by Viggo
Gagnonsux

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%

The appearance is hazy and golden-orange in color. Head is short and very white. The aroma is of sweet malts and wheat. No hefe clove or banana smells are detected. The taste is very much that of an American pale wheat beer, this is definently not a hefeweizen by my experience. A crisp yeasty wheat flavor is joined by a light maltiness. Just a touch of citrus is detected towards the finish. Drinkability is very good, I could probably drink this all day in the summertime.

05-15-2005 02:17:54 | More by Gagnonsux
sabrills70

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a hazy medium yellow gold with a 1 finger head and pretty good lace. Smell of slightly tart caramel wheat malt with some slight citrus and banana smells - not much, but they are there. imediate sweetness folowed but a an unexpected hop bitterness - more than your typical American Hefe. Slightly tart with some citrus notes. High carbonation, crisp and sprtizy. Definate hop bitterness in the aftertaste. A decent version of the style. Not complex but still a decent brew, although there are better ones out there.

05-01-2005 01:25:22 | More by sabrills70
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Bottle Date Dec16, 2004, Sampled April 2005
Pours a hazy straw color, that is topped by a frothy thinish off-white head. The aroma is bready and yeasty with hints of lemon and fresh cut herbs or grass. The taste is lightly sweet up front with a simple grassy grain character. There is actually some nice subtle spice character to this beer, it seems to be contributed from a combination of the hops and yeast. This beer is also fruity with notes of apple cider, a hint of lemon, and some notes of pear. The finish is fairly bitter for a beer of this style and there is a slight tartness as well, I like the way these elements balance the softer notes that are found up front.

This beer actually has quite a bit more character to it than I was expecting, granted it is still an American Version of a Hefeweizen, but it is tasty enough for a simple quaffing brew.

04-02-2005 03:28:47 | More by Gueuzedude
pootz

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

The surprise of the tasting session...thanks Sam. decanting put a murky yellow-gold ale in my heffe glass. Moderate merigue cap...modest small bubbled carbonation. The nose was wonderful!!....pure bubble gum with some sour dough tones. Very mellow well rounded character for a heffe...not sharp and spritzy...more soft and delicious with the strong banana-clove signature taste profile that rides to the finsh...which is surprizingly light and clean...a wonderful heffe...I will stock up if I have a chance.

03-30-2005 04:33:04 | More by pootz
Sammy

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Orange hazy unfiltered colour, fruity, but metallic like tart astringency. That was an unexpected bitterness. Citrus aroma. Some spice clove and pepper, theme from yeast, banana. OK wheat likely better in summer. Medium mouthfeel, soft and light. Fizzy carbonation.

03-30-2005 00:37:02 | More by Sammy
JohnfromDublin

Ireland

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Sampled this bottle 23 March '05. Batch date on bottle was NOV3004. Pours with an expected cloudy appearence, almost murky with an amber colour.
Smell was dry reminding me of straw.
Taste was full, with caramel toffee and a hint of banana with a bitter tang at the finish.
Kind of silky mouthfeel leaving a coating.
Drinkability; not a session beer but would suit me for a change or if accompanying food, cheese etc.
Overall a fairly "reliable" hefeweizen style craft brew.

03-23-2005 16:53:01 | More by JohnfromDublin
brewQ

Missouri

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

Tap poured a hazy orange color with decent sheathing.
Not much aroma but the Red Robin chain serves everything ridiculously cold and flat.

Flavor of wheat and lightly sweet was alright.

This is okay brew ... seems Widmer was a hype beer a few years back but I don't know what their rep is now. Mixed identity and ownership, I guess.

03-23-2005 13:35:05 | More by brewQ
nortmand

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

I actually have some bias, as this was the beer that started me down the craft beer road.
Pours cloudy orange with scant head. I would have liked a nice fluffy head, but to no avail.
Rich, yeasty nose, supported by a hint of estery, sweet banana. Probably the best part of this beer. Definitely yeasty.
Slightly sweet taste to begin, that spreads out into a yeastiness. After the swallow, a mellow sweetness holds on to the front of the tongue, while a gentle bitterness is present in the back. It's not that the flavor is bad, what's there is actually quite good, it's just that there isn't enough flavor.
Well carbonated, but there is a strange, almost astringent stickiness, whereas I would look for a smooth, rich experience.
Actually very drinkable, and serves as an excellent beer to introduce to a BMC swiller.

03-17-2005 00:17:22 | More by nortmand
Shaw

2.95/5  rDev -10.3%

I've had this beer several in the Pacific Northwest (including at Widmer's Gasthaus in Portland) but it has recently become available all the way over here in Florida.

It looks very good: cloudy with a very white foamy head. The head reduces somewhat but still maintains a quarter-inch-thick layer in my glass.

It has a light smell of spices and banana notes. I would like it to be a little stronger smelling, but that's just me.

The taste, sadly, doesn't live up to the appearance or smell. I'm a fan of German Hefe Weizens and Widmer ain't like them. It doesn't have the strong yeasty, bananna flavors that are a hallmark of the style. Those flavors are there, but very, very mild. The strongest characteristic is the bitter aftertaste. This is an American wheat beer meant for palates that would be off-put by the full-strength German wheat beers. Oh well.

The body is light with little substance. Overall, this is a decent session beer or one to drink on hot days. If you like German Hefe Weizens, look elsewhere.

02-14-2005 06:22:32 | More by Shaw
SupaCelt

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

This stuff poured a coppery tan that was nice and cloudy. It appeared to have some substance to it. There was a good wheaty head that was creamy and dense. Lace production was acceptable.

Smells were yeasty and chaff laden. The wheaty fluff comes through in the air. Vague spice impression. This stuff is mild and pleasant. Not a sensory overload, but nice to be sure. I guess this is an hefe scent.

The taste was a pleasant and refreshing one. Not too thin, as I was predicting. The wheat imparts such an interesting tone on the flavour. It seems very natural and fluffy. It reminds me of like a vitamin drink or health supplement. Fiber drink. Had a couple and was quite satisfied. Felt sporty. I would drink this stuff again from the tap. I had bottles that didn't really live up to what I tasted off the tap, so my overall opinion dipped slightly. Not at all a disappointment.

02-14-2005 02:47:56 | More by SupaCelt
clvand0

Kentucky

2.78/5  rDev -15.5%

Had this on tap at a bar in Nashville. Pours a yellow/orange color with a large head and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. Very cloudy. Weak aroma - hints of wheat and citrus. The flavor was not as good as expected. A bit astringent. Hints of citrus, but no banana or clove. Has an abnormal bite that I don't prefer in a hefe. Should be smooth and enjoyable, but this one was a little harsh. Mouthfeel was right where it should be, but the drinkability should be better.

01-20-2005 23:31:10 | More by clvand0
Suds

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Served on-tap, as a dinner accompaniment on a recent trip. The beer was cloudy, hazy, and straw colored with a short-lived head. The aroma has a faint, but characteristic wheat-citrus, lemony aroma. Also, underneath were smells of clove and yeast. Fairly smooth, with a bitter hop finish (probably more than necessary). It went quite well with the food, but certainly wouldn’t stand very well on its own as a serious hefeweizen. It’s a drinkable, but overall ordinary beer.

01-16-2005 20:30:15 | More by Suds