Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-17-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -18.2%

Got a pint of this last night at The Elk. The bartender had poured it by mistake, so I got a free beer.

This was probably the most orange beer I'm ever likely to see. Very small white head that disappeared almost immediately. No lace.

Not much odor to this at all.There was a faint caramel sweetness, but that was about it.

The caramel sweetness (which was pretty anemic) was the most obvious flavor. There was very slight grainy, citrus taste, but it's deep in the background. Very bland.

Mouthfeel was nothing to get excited about, though I actually expected it to be more watery than it was.

This actually went down quite easy. It doesn't taste offensive at all, it's main sin is a lack of character. This would probably be good after a bout of yardwork on a hot day. Otherwise, there's better things to seek out than this.

woemad, May 03, 2004
1.85/5  rDev -43.9%

The only beer that wasn't a macro was the Widmer. I think this was my second wheat so I didn't know really what to expect. From the tap came a tannish brown, very cloudy, apple cider looking beverage. There was very little head, but there was some lace for about half the glass, then it disappeared. It has a fruity and nutty aroma.

Taste is with very little carbonation, so little, I was wondering if there was something wrong with the keg. It tasted flat. Again, it was sort of sweet and nutty, maybe a touch of caramel. It also had some bitterness suggesting numerous hops, which also gave it a tartness.

The beer finished off tangy at the bottom with the sediment remaining in the glass. I might try this from the bottle to compare, but I won't buy it again.

abcsofbeer, May 01, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

5-month old 12oz.

Moderate white head on top of a hazy apricot pour (at room temperature!), leaving sticky lace on the glass. Sweet caramel malty smell, a bit of wheat, hardly perceptible or interesting. Medium body with low carbonation, barely noticable, fairly well-balanced between malts and hops, with a tinge of wheat. Clean finish.

Had this with halibut and some creamy crabcake, not really complementing it, but washing it down. The most uninteresting hefeweizen I've had so far, best used during warmer weather for refreshment, but not much else.

ism, Apr 03, 2004
2.83/5  rDev -14.2%

This hefeweizen is different than any other hef I have tried. Pours a very cloudy honey gold with a white head that fades and leaves great lacing on the glass. Smell is somewhat bland and to much wheat. Taste is also light for a hef, just wheat, not a true hef but not to bad. Feels full but dull in the mouth. Drinkable at a bbq or at a bar, side note tastes better with a lemon.

beertaster13, Mar 22, 2004
3.33/5  rDev +0.9%

This is a fairly restrained wheat beer. It pours a hazy yellow with a decent head. I didn't get much aroma from the glass. THe taste is fruity, maybe even with some banana, but the fizz seems to mask it a bit. There is a noticeable bitterness that lingers, which I didn't like. There is also a significant graininess, which is very unexpected, but I like that grain flavor. The lemon in the glass is unnecessary and overpowers the beer flavor if you leave it there. A nice light to medium bodied beer. Seems to be widely available.

oggg, Mar 17, 2004
2.17/5  rDev -34.2%

First Hef ever. Served with a lemon. Do not usually like that fruit in my beer. Poured dirty orange in color with hardly any head. The lemon smell was strong from over a foot away. The taste of the lemon overpowered the beer too. It had a very flat citric-acidic flavor. I do get hints of the wheat hiding behind the lemon. I am afraid that the lemon ruined this beer for me, so unfortunately my score reflects that.

MuddyFeet, Mar 14, 2004

I had this on tap recently while touring about Washington DC. It was served in a LARGE 32 ounce glass, and without lemon. The beer is a cloudy golden and didn't seem to have as much unfiltered sediment as some other hefeweizens. The smell was weak. I detected some light yeast and wheat tones, hardly any spice notes. The taste itself was also disappointing. The beer seemed a little too thin to be a true hefeweizen, and sort of lacked the citrus you might expect it to have. I honestly think that this beer may have done better with a slice of lemon, as the corriander and clove was really not emphasized as I thought it should be. What got me was the mouthfeel though. It lacked real carbonation, which I might have tolerated had it some more yeast sediment of even light backbone. It slid down great, but reminded me of a flat macro. Refreshing, yes. Tasty... ? I don't think I'll have it again, take that as you will.

99bottles, Mar 13, 2004
3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

Dense and hazy orange-yellow collor. Lots of bubbles yet little head. Malty sweet aroma with touches of citrus.
Crisp and refreshing body, both sweet and tart at the same time. A bit on the watery side, however. It may be the early appearance of Spring, but this was an excellent beer for sipping and enjoying the day.

JamesBerry, Mar 11, 2004
3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance:
Hazy yellow in color with some orange accents. Head is large and white with a bit of lacing. Very nice looking.

Smell:
Mild smell with light citrus accents, wheat is other doment smell.

Taste:
Sweet citrus, mainly lemon, and mild grains come through. Not bitter at all. Finish is grainy and sweet. Pretty good.

Mouthfeel:
Feel good in mouth. Gives a nice thick feel on tounge without being heavy.

Drinkability:
I'm pretty impressed by this beer. It's a pretty easy to find and inexpensive beer and yet it's pretty tasty. Would be a great beer for a summer day!

jsolack, Mar 09, 2004
3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a cloudy opaque orange juice color, blond head that soon fades to a nearly non-existant film, leaves thin rings of lacing.
Banana and wheat aroma, minor note of clove.
Crisp, wet wheat, orange or grapefruit peel, fruity.
Light and crisp, not quite what I'd drink as a session beer, but not bad.

mschofield, Mar 02, 2004
2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

I had never heard of this beer until last week when I saw this on the shelf of a liquor store nearby. I love hefes and so when I saw it, I figured I'd give it a try. I was actually kind of excited, its rare to find a American attempt at a hefeweizen and just by the look of the bottle I thought it would be good. It stressed mightily that it was a hefeweizen. When I poured it, it was a light orangish color and sort of looked like a slightly darker Konig Ludwig. The smell had definite citric scents. I got very happy thinking that this was going to be a quality beer but the taste was not what I expected. Needless to say, I was upset. I am surprised that this beer has gotten such good ratings. Perhaps I expected too much but at the same time looking at my rating it seems a bit higher than I think the beer deserves. There wasn't much as far as taste. It did have the sort of lemony taste that I enjoy from many wheats but it was minimal. The body of the beer was nowhere close to other hefes. I was disappointed and if you have the choice of buying a sixer of these or spending a few more bucks to get something like a Schneider Weisse, make the right choice.

wsouloa, Mar 01, 2004
2.4/5  rDev -27.3%

A cloudy healthy orange hazy appearance on draught. Fresh lemon wedge is obligatory. Splash! Of, course typical citrous nose with lemon, mind you.

Low carbonation level steps into flat and stale, even for Hefe. A creamy, off tang is dissapointing. She looked good from far but far from good, guys. Ooops. Overly bitter & sour. Darn!

Mouthfeel goes mid-to-back tongue. I even resorted to squishing and beating this one up inside to ellicit some fragrance and taste. Beat up: No response. Frownie face.

This will get a generous 3.0 / 5.0 drinkability. Preferably, I would grab a can of any gusto-session $10 can case brew before this. Sorry. (Peace sign & thumbs down) i.e Too - bad!

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Feb 26, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +17.6%

A very lively and light looking beer. After a quick swirl to stir up any yeasties and a hard pour, this beer turned out to be a very pale and nicely carbonated yellow color. A good size head topped off the beer, but receded very quickly. The aroma has wonderful sweet citrus notes to it. The taste is very light and citrusy with just a trace of sourness. Lemons, oranges and a small amount of bubblegum detected.

Sweet tangy finish, nothing harsh about this beer in any way. Enjoyable and drinkable, and one of the lightest hefes I’ve ever had. A near perfect warm weather beer to quench your thirst.

pezoids, Feb 16, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

Six pack purchased at the grocery store.

Pours a nebulous copper. Little to no head. Some sudsy bubbles lingering around the glass.

Smell is a glorious burst of yeast and wheat, truly earthy and wonderful! Makes me want to eat it with a fork.

Taste is of soft malts followed by a slight hop bitterness, and encompassing each of these flavors is the wheat chewiness. Mouthfeel can also be described as chewy. Really great body.

This is my favorite American wheat beer, hands down. Other versions are generally too watery, too dull.

RootedFool, Jan 31, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a cloudy gold.

Smell is light, yeast and lemons and a very mild spice smell.

Taste is light too. A mix of tartness and wheat flavor with a distinct mild hop finish.

Mouthfeel is Very light.

Very drinkable, this is a beer that is very much meant to be drank everyday. It has no illusions about being an artisan brew, it merely aims to be a refreshing brew, and at that it succeeds.

I drink this with pizza fairly often.

Zorro, Jan 31, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -9.7%

Had this on-tap at Van Andel arena for a hockey game rather than suffer through Michelob Amber Bock or other, even worse macro products.

Beer was decent yellow/orange hue, much thicker appearing than an average macro, but not as dense as I'd like it to be. A nice frothy head was there though.

Taste, well, a step above the complete macro crap, but nothing to rave about either. A little sweet, with some body, but not very much while the mouthfeel was unimpressive.

Drinkability is the only thing I can give this beer decent marks on, it went down smooth. An alright beer, but nothing I'd pick given the option of micros.

CortexBomb, Jan 28, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Surprisingly-hazy yellow, medium head with good stickiness. Smell has a lot of German (tettnanger) hops that amount to a spicy and almost metallic aroma and flavor to this brew. Nice, but possibly a bit too much. Slight tartness, spritzy feel. Less esters than one would expect. A very enjoyable brew, very drinkable. There are better american hefewiezens out there, but this is certainly good.

waughbrew, Jan 08, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one refreshing brew. It's appearance was pretty cool, with the cloudy orangey/amber color and the frothy off white head. The smell was quite nice as well. It was a wheaty beginning, but then changed over to a citrusy smell. The taste was similar to the smell, which was a very nice experience. I guess the most predominant thing with the taste is the citrus body. Overall this was one great brew and it was very refreshing.

JISurfer, Jan 03, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +22.1%

Great looking beer. The color was a densely cloudy yellow. There's something about a light colored beer that you can't see through that I just love.

Now for the bad news: they served it in a frosted pint glass! After removing ice chips from the side of my glass, I took a sip and froze the inside of my mouth. Oh well. I thoroughly enjoyed the beer after it warmed up a little. I don't go for the hefes too often, but this is the best one I've had.

The taste was bready and well balanced in every aspect. I'll return to this beer if I return to the bar.

BeefyMee, Jan 01, 2004
2.55/5  rDev -22.7%

Contract brewed in New Hampshire. Cloudy, cloudy peach color, better appearance than Harpoon Hefe. Head is somewhat minimal, hanging as a skin for over a minute. Punctuation mark lace. Aroma is light, some sense of pear. Thickish, lots of yeast caught in suspension. So the set-up looks very good. Unfortunately, the taste is close to nothing, maybe a slog of yeastiness and some cinnamon and maple -- but essentially I'm magnifying these properties. Just sits in neutral in so many ways, finish is just slightly lemony. Not much to see here folks. Thanks to Liza P. and her dad for getting it, and Ken K. for delivering it.

ADR, Dec 31, 2003
2.6/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Is this a macro brew? It's not horrible if you ignore the fact that it says Hefewizen on the bottle. But their website says, "ours has been the standard by which all other Hefeweizens are judged." Hahaha! Sorry, think again. Where is the clove spicness and banana fruitiness? Compare to Weihenstephaner HefeWeissbier, Schneider Weisse, Ayinger Bräu Weisse or even Arcadia Whitsun Ale and you'll see the vast difference. Widmer is weak.

bobinverted, Dec 31, 2003
3.2/5  rDev -3%

Well, I dunno, this was an OK beer, nothing outstanding, but not to bad, all things considered. It poured very hazy, with a meduim yelly orange, and some head, not to much lace going down though. It smelled sweet enough, but nothing over-powering. Taste has a little bit of spice to it. A little lemon, a little sweetness, not real hop/malt/wheat/whatever balance to speak of. But he, this is ok, all around. But let's call a spade a spade and a macro a macro. This is a macro, but people might find this to be their bridge, so get some for your next party, you know, to float some bait out there for them.

PSUDREW, Dec 29, 2003
3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

I loved some of this bier, but yet there was a bit lacking from it as well. It poured from the tap a hazy golden colour. I was expecting somethign that would wow me with wheat and all of its splendor. However, the aroma was decent, at best, and the flavor just left me wanting a bit more...more anything. Still, this is a refreshing Hefeweizen that is worth a try, should you be able to find it.

Zum wohl!

goindownsouth, Oct 31, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a very paled and extremely hazy orange, as the yeast really browned out the lustre. Had a thin foam head with consistent texture and depth, pretty good lacing. But, the yeast is big, chunky, and very unattractive, a shame considering the rest is nice.

Smelled of honey, soft and fluffy malt, small and light clove notes, and some hay and grass scents, like as if from the hops typically found in pilseners. Taste was lemony paired with a tight bitterness that was oily and tartly fresh. Malt was fair, not too wheaty, grainy, tart, or juicy, just plain fair. Nasty finish from some wrong yeast - is it really hefeweizen yeast? Very watery mouthfeel.

Drinkable if not considered as a hefeweizen, drinkable like a macro beer is - I’ll pass on it.

nomad, Oct 24, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance – Light copper in color and cloudy with a decent head that went down rather quickly.

Smell – The aroma is very faint. There’s a touch of yeast in there but the dominant scent is orange/citrus. There’s also some light spicing.

Taste – Where’s the wheat? The orange flavors come out more followed by a hop backbone. Ist das ein hefeweizen?

Mouthfeel – Where’s the carbonation? This bottle is flat as a pancake. It’s very thin in the mouth and uninspiring.

Drinkability – I can’t imagine ever wanting to buy another one of these. This was lousy.

Sinkability – I rate this a 4.5 here. It has a very good chance of cleaning my kitchen pipes tonight.

RoyalT, Oct 11, 2003