Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.64/5  rDev +10.3%

I bought this at the local Wal-mart here since they were out of my usually Guinness. I had Easy Street Wheat in the past, and throughly enjoyed that.

A - Looked typical, a bit orange which makes me feel pretty good for some reason everytime I've seen this.

S - Very nonoffensive which is the best part. After drinking quite a few 211's lately (money issues) I was happy to get that alcohol smell out of my beer. Fruity and delicious.

T - This was actually a really good taste on my pallet. I am a big fan of beers that give you that "bite." Very springy and delicious.

M - Good aftertaste, but left feeling a bit dry, nothing too big though.

D - I couldn't drink this all night honestly, that's what cheaper beer is for anyway. But as a once a day sort of beer, hands down.

Overall I think this is my second or third favourite every-day beer I enjoy. Most reviews on here don't rate it overly high, but I honestly enjoy it. I was disappointed to not have my usual Guinness or Warsteiner, but I really enjoyed this. Thumbs up :)

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

I wasnt too impressed with this Hefe. But in all fairness, I had a terrible waiter/ bartender at an undisclosed restaurant in Boone, NC (see profile and date for more info). Nevertheless...
Was unable to see any head because the bartender didnt allow any to develop. But what head I had was quite pleasant. 1/99 of an inch but thick and left nice lacing.
I didnt detect any predominant smells. No esters or cloves. Tiny bit of fruitiness but nothing special.
Too much hops for a Hefe. I was hoping for a pleasant, light fruity taste but experienced something more of a pale ale with yeastiness and cloudy appearance.
I have had many better Hefes but this will do in an extremely tight pinch.

2.21/5  rDev -33%

Pretty bland, pretty boring, pretty unimpressive all around. An uninspired effort for the style. Not a terrible choice when all you have to choose from is Bud/Miller/Coors... but really really lame for the style.
Hazy orange color, not much at all in the way of odor or flavor... really quite watery all around.
Perhaps worth a taste if you are curious but that's about it. Perhaps a tiny baby step to get people to try other brews.
I did, however, appreciate much more the Brooklyn ale that was available.

2.41/5  rDev -27%

Cloudy golden orange in color with a small white fizzy head.
The aroma is of faint wheat
Its flavor has a mild wheat presence, then moves into a touch of citrus.
Light in body and easily drinkable, though I will not be looking for it again.

Although this is not a bad beer, I just think that if you want a hefeweizen, you are better off with something else.

2.08/5  rDev -37%

Appearance is cloudy orange with no head whatsoever. Not a good sign. Smell is almost nonexistant. A little bit of banana and some citrus. Taste is more of the same. Very watery and not nearly carbonated enough, which took down the drinkability a few notches. Also needs some flavor. Luckily I didn't have to finish my pint as we were leaving the bar.

3.06/5  rDev -7.3%

I didn't realize when i purchased and first tasted this that AB owns a stake in the brewery and handles distribution for them, like Redhook. I've since learned of this and in light of the taste of the beer, it surprises me not one bit.

Picked this up on the way to Poker Night, never having tried it before. Wish i hadn't.

T'aint no Hefe, that's for sure. Just an American Pale Wheat, much like SA's self-titled Hefe. Both are boring, lackluster beers with very little flavor.

I won't bother with it again. Feh.

2.26/5  rDev -31.5%

I just moved to Indianapolis and I've been seeing this beer everywhere. In fact, I can't think of a bar I've been to in the past few weeks that doesn't have it! Enjoying a good Weizen, I thought I'd try it out. Wow. This beer is a letdown. Not since Sierra Nevada's abortive attempt at this style have I encountered a beer like this. That isn't to say it is all bad: focus on the lemon aspect of the beer (No, I did most certainly NOT add a lemon, but the lemon flavour in the beer itself), that and several other yeasty aspectsmake the beer interesting. Not good, but not terrible either. But the mouthfeel -- there is none. Nononononono, avoid this beer. I shoulda gone with the Sam Adam's on tap.

3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

Not a great brew, but certainly a decent one. Not a true Hefe (at ALL), but still doesn't keep this from being a solid warm-weather brew.
Comes out cloudy and orange colored.
The smell is slightly sweet, but with citrus and grainy overtones.
Taste is solid, but not strong. Has a tiny hint of the typical banana/clove hefe-flavor, but tastes more like a typical American wheat beer. More citrus and grain.
Availability on this is growing due to AB having a slight hand in distribution. As long as quality doesn't suffer...no big deal.
A really solid thirst quencher. It's not great, but I'll take it over most macro-lagers or blonde ales.
If you like this one, ODell's Easy Street Wheat or Sierra Nevada Wheat are much better options.

2.03/5  rDev -38.5%

Widmer Brothers “Hefeweizen” pours a very cloudy pale orange from it’s dark brown glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Date bottled on 07/07/05. Head went to just about one finger with a hard pour into a 22oz beer glass. No lace... no ring... no foam cap... Zip, nada, nothing.

Nose is a distinctly burnt wheat malt with a few sour citrus notes. No clove, no banana, and no pepper.

Palate is just as disappointing as the nose, sour burnt wheat with some sting of carbonation.

Widmer Brothers “Hefeweizen” has none of the qualities (save colour) of a “Hefeweizen” worth mentioning... none.

To sum it up in a nutshell, disgusting!

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Murky, cloudy orange/yellow/vanilla appearance. Slight white foam leaves minimal amounts of lace. A zesty lemon twang is noted in the aroma. A little citrus and yeast as well. The taste is plaesing enough but lacks real character. Lemon citrus thing going on. Very slight vanilla. Wheat spice is detectable. Mouthfeel could use a little boost in the CO2 deparatment. Body is a little better than medium. Decent enough, but not one I'd necessarily need to return to soon.

3.24/5  rDev -1.8%

As with many American "hefeweizens", this is not really a hefeweizen. Why can't they just call it a wheat beer? It's a good wheat beer, one of the better ones I've had. This absolutely is the thickest, chewiest light-colored beer I've seen. Completely opaque, even when held closely to light. No big visible "floaties", just pure unfiltered haziness. Average flavor, heavy wheat as expected, but highly drinkable. Although there's no strong fruit notes or any other characteristic hefe flavors, I dig this. Simple but good.

3.76/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dull orange, nearly opaque. Dense one finger head with decent retention and mild lacing. Mostly wheat and yeast smell with orange peel in the background and no trace of hops. Tastes of fruit esters and spices up front followed by a shock of hops and yeast that leaves a bitter and dry aftertaste. The full-body and low carbonation allows a smooth mouthfeel once the beer warms and the aftertaste fades. Balance and flavor seem fitting for a Hefe Weizen. A better choice than any lawnmower beer on a hot day.

2.74/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: This hefe was extremely hazy even before I swirled the bottle and added the good stuff from the bottom. It poured a deep golden-orange color in the depths and glowed a nice straw yellow around the edges. A stark white head rose up to just under two fingers. It settled quickly, but a thin cap of bubbles remained for the entire drink. There was a decent amount of lacing left behind on the side of the glass.

Smell: Right after the pour, this beer had a fruity, classic ale aroma. I don't know that I could have identified it as a hefe in a blind tasting. However, as the beer sat, raw wheat and grains along with a sharp, almost artificial, lemon smell arose. The wheat had a raw, grass-like characteristic that was odd. Kind of sweet, kind of herbal . . . hard to describe. The aforementioned classic ale aromas took the form of light fruits, such as apples, cracker-like roasted malts, and a light hoppiness. An overall odd aroma that seemed to have an unpleasant edge to it.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, firm and dry. Not a lot of chewiness for the amount of wheat in the flavor.

Taste: Very rough and raw wheat kicked in almost immediately. It was slightly astrigent and had a hint of grassy herbalness. There was a decent amount of dry bitterness on the finish and in the aftertaste, but no apparent hops flavors to accompany it. Not much else.

Flat, rough, and muddled overall. This is the second bottle that I tried, hoping that I would like it more with a second tasting. I did like it more (it would have been a 2.0 on "taste" based on my first sample), but it's not a beer that I will return to. Too many great hefes out there to come back to something like this.

4.2/5  rDev +27.3%

poured a cloudy amber color with naice puffy white head. Smell is big on spices with cloves dominating. Taste is just the way I like it, with spiciness and cloves flowing throughout my mouth. Finish is spicy with a note of dryness that is very pleasant. A really good hefe weizen.

4.15/5  rDev +25.8%

Appears cloudier than most American Hefe's.

Spicy, citrousy hop odour.

Has a Pacific Northwest (read Cascade Citrous) spin on the Hefe style that's apparant, but not in your face like Pyramid's. Slightly more bitter than most Hefe's, but a very well balanced brew.

Lacking the fruity esters & slight tartness of the classic german style, but does have some yeast flavour. Could be considered an "American Hefe".

Light-to-moderate mouthfeel is an accomplishment, considering it's strength.

VERY drinkable. More so than Pyramid, which seems to be more popular.

3.21/5  rDev -2.7%

Being a fan of the Hefe Weizen style of beer I was axious to try this beer. The appearance of this beer was a light orange/darker yellow and the beer had a decent foamy head that reminded me of the topping of a french silk pie. Could not detect any particular aroma from this beer. Taste was rather average, coule taste the wheat, but did not taste any clove or banana spiceness that attracts me to this style. Could drink a lot of theses due to the low ABV, but given what is not there why would one?

2.85/5  rDev -13.6%

Served in the 'Stratosphere' lounge in Las Vegas, an odd shaped tumbler that was a bit small-ish. And the place didn't give me a fresh tumbler for the second pour until I asked, rather rude too. Anyhow... the beer poured with a much lighter orange-yellow haze than I'm used to in a hefe. Very light citrus and spice on the nose but underpowered. Very smooth on the tongue with decent hops but perhaps too much sweetness instead of balance. Good feel and readibly drinkable, would like to try off tap sometime.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

An atypical Hefeweizen, however, I liked it. Had on tap at the local pub. Looks amazingly 'pumpkin' colored and heavily straw or golden. Pours a 1/2" creamy head that refused to fall. Laced well as the glass empties. Smells sweetly with light banannas or papayas, other sweet fruits hit like mangos and tangerines. Light bubble-gum (juicy fruit) aromas add to the sweetness. Definate hop aroma spices up the nose. Flavors of those sweet fruits are mimicked in the taste, along with honey, barley, and wheat malt. Cooriander, cloves, and all-spice are detected along with flavoring hops in the body, then taper into the finish. A medium, yet firm body remains consistent throughout. Creamy to the finish with minor diacityl coating the palate. Finishes sweeter and less crisp than traditional Weizens, but remaining hop bittering cuts the sweetness into the aftertaste. Like I said, it's not true to style, but I really like this beer. I have been drinking Oberon and Ayinger Brau-weiss. I'll add this one to my list.

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%

Had this on tap tonight at a bar near me that I visited for the first time, I was surprised to see this. First off let me say that IMO, this is not a Hefeweizen, at least not in the way I define them or expect for the style. I think of it more as an American
Wheat beer, like Boulevard Wheat. That being said, my review may be somewhat skewed to this perception.

Appearance: Yellowish, orange and hazy, my wife commented that it looks like orange juice. Actually served in the proper glassware, not ice cold, but with a dang lemon slice. Doh! I should have known there would be one and I forgot to request them to leave it out. Oh well. Poured with little head, but the beer did lace some to the finish.

Smell: Slight hop, citrusy aroma (or is it that lemon), hint of malt and wheat. Overall, a little weak.

Taste: Minimal, made to appeal to the masses, which I think this does. That being said, it does not taste bad, just weak (especially for a hefe). Flavor of citrus fruit (again, I thik it was the lemon), a little wheaty with a hint of malt backing.

Moutfeel: Smooth, light to medium in body. A little dry on the finish.

Drinkability: Very high. I think this beer was made to appeal to as many people as possible, which it does. Not made to be bold, which I can not fault it for. An easy drinker and one worth at least trying when at a sports bar and there may not be many other choices.

2.12/5  rDev -35.8%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = extremely cloudy with sediment everywhere. Absolutely not movement. A yellowish peach color. Not really impressive.

Smell = Pretty standard wheat beer smell.

Taste = Very bitter and bland. Give me bitter beer face. I don't think I'll get through the whole bottle. This is a terrible wheat beer. There's nothing redeeming going on here. It's course, harsh, and flavorless.

Overall = A terrible beer that I'd only serve to my enemies.

3.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle, freshness date on lable, poured into a hefeweizen glass after rousing.

Appearance: Cloudy amber color, head poured small and faded quickly into a lace.

Aroma: Mainly wheat grains, some hops as well but not too much.

Taste: Mainly wheaty, but rather light. Again, you get a lsight hint of hops in the middle, an unexpected yet pleasant surprise.

Mouthfeel: A little watery, carbonation was good though.

Overall: This beer reminded me of Harpoon's UFO beer, so if you like that one (as I do) you'll like this.

4.02/5  rDev +21.8%

Golden yellow, hazy head hangs on considerably....not a tight head, loose bubbles.

Smell is light, full of yeast and clove, little bit of malt and banana.

A little heavier and sweeter than I would expect, yeast is not as present as it could be.

Medium body hits right away, then a mild, tight fizziness. It's rather pleasant.

This is very drinkable, though maybe not the best example of style.

Be well
-UF

2.49/5  rDev -24.5%

From its appearance, this beer should be great. It pours out an unfiltered golden color with a nice size head, although large bubbles which quickly disappear. Small bits float about in the cloudy liquid and I expect a nice, spiced, citrus tinged hefe weizen.

I'm surprised by the smile. There really isn't one. It smells a bit like any old beer but that's about it. Not the typical fruits and wheat I expected.

After the lack of smell, I'm not so surprised by the lack of taste. Maybe a little wheaty. Otherwise, a weak, watery beer lacking any character or charm. This guy is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It doesn't feel bad in your mouth but it just doesn't deliver what I thought I'd be getting. Bummer.

I remember at one time appreciating the Widmer beers and their Hefe Weizen but that Busch name seems to have weakened it in more ways than one. If I have another, maybe I should let it warm up a bit more as others have suggested but it didn't seem to get any better as it sat next to me.

3.83/5  rDev +16.1%

This is one where I'm going against the grain of other reviewers for sure. Maybe it was because I enjoyed this on my anniversary, but I liked this Hefe. Very cloudy with a beautiful head that lasted a while. Along with the typical Hefe flavors and scents, I noticed a surprisingly nutty taste at the end. A bit on the different side, but well worth a try.

3.17/5  rDev -3.9%

Chewed some cud with this one on 6/24/2005. 16-oz. pint at Legends Pool Hall, Portsmouth, NH.

Film only, and then even disintegrating, and nothing else of the stick and lace variety. Very hazy straw color, cannot make your way through the murk. Real kind of cleansing agent quality to the whole nose, with just a hint of sarsaparilla and coriander, side of wheat chaff. Very wet, picnic basket of left-over saltine crackers on mouth, some light clover and anise, but otherwise fairly nondescript, almost too dull.

Drinkable, yes, but just as forgettable.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company