Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,935 | Reviews: 789
3.65/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

A: Hazy yellow-orange body with a 1 1/2 inch white head.
S: Yeasty. Hints of Lemon and Orange.
T: Follows the nose. White bread. Yeastiness. Citrus juice. Banana and clove notes are not very present, if at all. Bit of alcohol in the finish.
M: Light and crisp. Very refreshing. Not much in the way of flavor though.
O: Nothing stands out in this beer, and I wish I could get more of the banana and clove notes usually found in Hefeweizens. Might be good on a summer day, but nothing really impresses me with this beer.

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

easy drinking, kinda plain and light

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

05/09/12 A pretty pour w/serious body. Not exactly summerstock, but not unplesant. I guess it's something to ease in & out of summer with. If that sounds undecided, I am.

4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

I have always been a big fan of Widmer Brothers and this is the beer that got me started, easily one of my favorite Hefeweizens, easy to drink, not too heavy.

3.36/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Cloudy golden amber in color. head goes on for days and is slow to dissipate. 4.25/5

S - Very subdued banana, clove, white bread, biscuit, and butter. Ever so slight hint of herbal hops. 3.25/5

T - Extremely subdued here. Essentially the same as the aroma with virtually no hop flavor. 3.25/5

M - Very creamy. Medium bodied. Definitely a wheat beer. Low to medium carbonation. 3.75/5

O - somewhat disappointed in this beer. flavor and aroma are extremely subdued. definitely a Hef with the notes of banana and clove but not a whole lot going on. will not buy again. 3.25/5

Does not possess the flavor nor aroma of estery goodness

3.07/5  rDev -7%

Served from a 12 oz bottle.

Pours a semi-opaque coppery orange with a substantial off white head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving about a quarter inch of foam.

Aroma is disappointingly faint, featuring none of the classic banana bubblegum notes I associate with this style. Basically all that is to be picked up is a muted wheaty, malty presence. While it is not unpleasant, it is certainly underwhelming.

Taste is basically a continuation of this trend, which is to say that what is there is pleasing, but I wish there were a lot more of it. Wheat and malt notes are in the fore, but far too muted to make much of an impact.

Mouthfeel is actually above average here. This beer is fairly substantial yet still very smooth and easy drinking. Carbonation is vey pleasant and invigorating.

Overall, this beer is pleasant, and would be appealing on a very hot summer day when you are looking for something to quench your thirst. That said, there are several other beers that are far more satisfying and representative of this style.

1.94/5  rDev -41.2%

I really, really dislike this beer.
The appearance of this beer was the first warning that I was in for big trouble. I tend to like strong, bitter ales, so imagine how I felt pouring this out into my glass only to see a very bright yellow liquid. I took a deep breath as I continued to pour, trying to convince myself that everything would be okay.
The smell was very wheaty with vague hints of ripe fruit. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either.
The taste was absolutely horrible. The first thing I tasted was something very sweet, I took a look at the bottle afterwards to confirm that what I was drinking did indeed have alcohol in it. I took one more sip and focused on the tones. It reminded me of bubblegum, and not just a little bit, but like I was drinking liquid bubble tape. As the bubblegum faded out the taste that stayed on my back palate was mildly of apricot. It was a total surprise given the smell of the beer.
Mouthfeel for me was poor. It felt very weak, and while the one positive was that it went down easily, I really didn't feel like I was drinking a beer at all. It felt very watered down and left a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

Overall, I can't see myself ever drinking this beer again. I understand not everyone likes bitter ales, and that some people really do love this beer, but I can't seem to find much positives with it.

3.48/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy yet substantial in its appearance this Hefe had an almost brown/orange like hue. The head was foamy and tight but ebbed away quickly.

Light wheat and bubblegum sweetness on the nose.

The flavor is very light and at times undiscernable. More wheat is tasted, earthy and starchy, with some yeast aspects. Bubblegum-like sweetness and a seltzer water come near the finish.

The feel is sprite and prickly but easy to drink. Nothing seems to sit on the stomach so you can tackle a few in a row.

Not the most vibrant of Hefe's this does play into some of my preferences. I prefer less clove like flavors and there was none to make this a decent choice.

Okay, first thing is first, a by the book hefeweizen this is not. I really don't know how it is even listed as such, more like an American Pale Wheat. The traditional hefeweizen characteristics are not present here. That tidbit aside though, and you get the following summation of this delicious brew.

This is a very refreshing and delightful brew. Cloudy golden yellow in appearance with a thick fluffy white head that sticks with you to the bottom of the glass.

The smell is that of wheat, mild hops, and a large citrus presence.

The taste that follows will put a grin on your face from ear to ear, a great tasting citrus & wheat beer flavor. This is what Blue Moon and Shocktop want to be, this is what they should have been. The flavor then rounds out with a mild hop bite at the end, just enough to let you know it is there and give you that crisp fresh tang at the end.

The mouthfeel is mild to moderate. Not so light as to be watery, but light enough to be refreshing to the palate. Not sticky or heavy at all, and as a smooth character as you take gulp after gulp.

Overall this is an awesome brew. I can't think of many better offerings for a warm summer day. This one is awesome in all respects.

Will absolutely seek out and purchase again. And again. And again. And again.

3.29/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

RB

Ticking this one for an Untappd badge... Surprised I have not reviewed it before... Pours an orange haze with a long lasting white head.

Nose is standard "wheat" with a little bit of something that I associate with lemon.

Flavor is the same... drinkable and light tasting, goes down pretty smoothly.

Probably the prototype for most American Wheats... but I like mine generally with a lot more hop character.

3.5/3.25/3.25/3.5/3.25

This American style hefe tastes delicious every time. Not a strong aroma but nothing but good about it. Pours honeycomb yellow. . I am biased because I live in Portland where it is brewed. Widmer is available on tap here almost everywhere and is a fail safe in Oregon. There are always exciting new things to try here, but no matter what Widmer is available and never disappointing. Hopefully the bar is smart enough to keep the keg upside down before tapping so that when it is tapped the unfiltered goodness is as mixed as possible. This is my first review this site is amazing

Here's the deal.
I drink beer when I want it. And that's occasionally, not all the time, and certainly not for the reason of 'social', though I enjoy being social, but I only drink beer when my body truly wants beer. If I'm merely being social, I'll have nothing, or maybe water,.. or maybe beer if my body is really wanting/ready for a beer.

Basic description is this is an excellent medium body beer, unfiltered, which I prefer often times, unless it's just blazing hot and I've had some other food in which case I'll just have true light beers.

It's not dry, it's got a great wet quenchingness about it. Great for warm and hot days, depending on you and your circumstances.
Mellow mild sweet fruity fragrance, some citrusy-ness, not particularly acid, just a beautiful balance , reminding me of the Munich, Germany weiss/weizen beers.
Very satisfying beer.

I had a Widmer Hefeweizen a few years ago, but couldn't stand it, very dry in it's character as though it need a some citrus added to it. From my experience yesterday and today, with two Hefe six packs from two different stores,... they fixed that, and now it's SooooPerrrrB.
I have no complaints about this beer, so why should I give it anything less than 100% = 5/5
This beer is so satisfying, so beautifully balanced, my body loves it!!!!

I wouldn't change anything about it, it's maximum satisfaction for my body.
Beer is great food, and great body therapy on occasion, variable per person.
Know thyself, let your body prudently direct.

And no, I didn't go through both six packs,... yet, that'll be over the course of a week probably, though I have had six in the past 24+ hours. That's very rare for me, but I haven't eaten as much, taking a little rester, and it's been very hot, unseasonably hot.

Also, they've got a new bottle graphic, not the one shown in the picture.

3.84/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy golden-orange, low foam for just a while, which is not traditional for a hefeweizen. Lots of floating bits tho.
Smell is citrusy, low banana and clove, but lots of spicy hops.
Really fruity, with tropical passion fruit, banana, red apple, lime and grapefruit. Lots of citrus peel and bubblegum. Wheaty malts. Spicy, with white pepper, clove, faint anise and some sweet dark spice, like cinnamon or nutmeg. Spicy herbal hops in the finish, packing a decent bitterness, but not covering up the lingering fruitiness.
Not as "chunky" as a German weizen, but zesty and refreshing.
Wouldn't call it a hefeweizen, but it's a nice tasty wheat ale.

1.52/5  rDev -53.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

A: Pale yellow, not clear but doesn't look cloudy.

S: Doesn't smell like any Hefeweizen I've had, but reminds me of Bud or Pabst.

T: Certainly doesn't taste like a Hefeweizen. Citrus flavor.

M: Crisp, but much less thick than I'd expect for Hefeweizen.

Completely disappointed. Went into this expecting a traditional Hefeweizen, but got an "American Hefeweizen" instead; definitely not to my taste. I don't often do this, but I poured this out after finishing about half of it. The flavor just got worse and worse. If I should happen across another bottle at some point, I'll edit this if the future tasting is any better.

3.92/5  rDev +18.8%

Picked up in the world market 30% off build your own 6 pack.

Appearance: orange colored with a mild hazyness. Pours easy, which is unusual, and makes a decent head. Its head would probably be of a proper size in a Hefe glass (I used my scottish beer glass). I would say that it looks nice. 4

Smell: Its smell is a bit weak, but present and to style. Some spice smell (nutmeg\clove) with a banana like ester (think the smell you get from banana laffy taffy). Both are very reserved, and a sweet malt grain aroma comes ahead stronger than these traditional flavors. not bad. 3.75

Taste: to be honest, this beer has a unique flavor profile, as noted below. It is defiantly american and wears it like a badge. The flavor of this one comes very strongly for its malt. Its wheat character is very bright and lovely, and this beer feels a lot more like a american wheat ale than a hefe, but its close enough in my opinion. Not as much hops as you might think, but its a bit present (but hard to taste through the carbonation). A good experience. 4

Mouthfeel: This beer has a carbonation to it, but it oddly enough does not bit your tongue very hard. It also feels like it has a heavy mouthfeel from the wheat and yeast. Id say to style of American hefe. 3.75

Overall: Now this brew is one that I thought was very nice. One word review: approachable. This is a great starter hefe and something that your friends will enjoy as much as you will. Id say that its good with every meal after brunch (within reason) and is a good go-to beer, that has is own style and flavors separate from other traditional hefe beers and is worth trying, at full price (bar or retail 6 packs). 4

Would have again.

Odd tasting notes: Id say that this beer had a taste I I would say is almost wine like....particularly the low ABV wine my dad used to pick up for passover (joyven red). A fruity sherbet like flavor. I like it, It takes me back to good times ^^

4.27/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am wheat beer guy so I figured I would give this a chance since I heard good things about it. Even though its not a German Hefeweizen I found it very good. This was my first beer from Widmer so I was skeptical at first. Definitely recommend it to any wheat beer fans out there.

3.49/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I understand this was the beer that created the US style Hefeweizen around three decades ago.
Hazy golden color with a thin head with short retention.
Aroma of fresh oranges, some banana and floral and herbal hops.
Refreshing flavor of pale and wheat malt, oranges, bread and pineapple after warming up. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Light body with good carbonation and a light tartness.
Interesting Hefeweizen, wheat and yeast is not really predominant here and it is packed with twice as much of IBUs in comparison to the standard style (30, from US hops varieties). Making it closer to a smooth Pale Ale and being less cloying.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy, golden pale color with a thin off-white head. Some floating particles were visible in the beer. Smelled of orange, banana, lemon. However, the aroma was not overly strong and it was difficult to really decipher the flavors. Taste, not much flavor, but could pick up on the citrus flavors. Light body, some carbonation. again nothing that really stood out. Decent brew, but nothing earth-shattering here.

3.17/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Sampled on 11/26/13. Bottled chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange in color with a small white fizzy head. Some spotty lacing was seen but not a lot. The aroma is of wheat, grassy grain and citrus. The taste was similar with a light hint of spice as well. A slight hoppy aftertaste was noted but not too strong. Slightly drier finish as well as some other Hefe's. Above average carbonation. First brew I have had from this company but seen a few others types they make around.

3.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a finger of head on a hazy straw colored body.
The aroma is lemon and pine.
The taste is on the fruity sweet side throughout without any balance. An easy drinker for sure.
The texture is soft with moderate carbonation.
It doesn't taste bad and it apparently sells well.

3.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The key to rating this beer is on the label. It says American Hefeweizen. This is not a german hefe and should not be treated like one. It will be lighter in texture and drier. There may even be a hint of bitterness to it. These are all there. Having said that, it could still be more. The aroma is more like a wheat ale. It is a bit muted with a floral touch. The body is light and the mouthfeel is lively. The finish again is dry with a touch of hop bitterness. A good example of an Americanized hefeweizen. Refreshing.

3.37/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Is very good, don't get me wrong, but there is a bitter chemical aftertaste that lingers which I really do not like. Great if there is nothing else to drink, or t is on sale, but generally won't gravitate to it in the supermarket isle. Good wit flavor, has chew to it, but don't look forword to the after taste.

3.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pour is average with the typical hefeweizen cloudy color and an unimpressive head. Smell leads with the spice but there are the usual banana and clove notes in there too. The smell is misleading, as the taste may not have enough spice and is largely about the wheat with subtle banana, clove, and lemon. It's equally sweet and tart. Mouthfeel is medium-thick (for a hefeweizen) with a touch of crispness but could maybe use a touch more. I didn't like this beer at all during my first sips, but it got better, and that's likely due to it warming up a bit and me noticing some of the more subtle flavors there. I usually prefer a more straightforward hefeweizen, but for more advanced palates (and for those who are not opposed to drinking this at temperatures above 40 degrees) this is likely to be enjoyed for what it is (assuming you like wheat that doesn't attach too tightly to yeast flavors, as the yeast here is concealed).

3.52/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Widmer Brothers American Hefeweizen (2013) - Surprisingly hoppy. Bold for a hefenweizen. Good head retention. Nice golden wheat body. Good carbonation very active. Flights caramel nose. Smooth crisp mouth feel. Nice sweet and lemon aroma. Mid pallet less hops. Mellow bready aftertaste. Good hefenweizen. 3.5 out of 5.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company