Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

alcohol by volume: 4.9%
original gravity: 11.75° PLATO

Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 778 | Hads: 1,980
3.29/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Ticking this one for an Untappd badge... Surprised I have not reviewed it before... Pours an orange haze with a long lasting white head.

Nose is standard "wheat" with a little bit of something that I associate with lemon.

Flavor is the same... drinkable and light tasting, goes down pretty smoothly.

Probably the prototype for most American Wheats... but I like mine generally with a lot more hop character.

This American style hefe tastes delicious every time. Not a strong aroma but nothing but good about it. Pours honeycomb yellow. . I am biased because I live in Portland where it is brewed. Widmer is available on tap here almost everywhere and is a fail safe in Oregon. There are always exciting new things to try here, but no matter what Widmer is available and never disappointing. Hopefully the bar is smart enough to keep the keg upside down before tapping so that when it is tapped the unfiltered goodness is as mixed as possible. This is my first review this site is amazing

Here's the deal.
I drink beer when I want it. And that's occasionally, not all the time, and certainly not for the reason of 'social', though I enjoy being social, but I only drink beer when my body truly wants beer. If I'm merely being social, I'll have nothing, or maybe water,.. or maybe beer if my body is really wanting/ready for a beer.

Basic description is this is an excellent medium body beer, unfiltered, which I prefer often times, unless it's just blazing hot and I've had some other food in which case I'll just have true light beers.

It's not dry, it's got a great wet quenchingness about it. Great for warm and hot days, depending on you and your circumstances.
Mellow mild sweet fruity fragrance, some citrusy-ness, not particularly acid, just a beautiful balance , reminding me of the Munich, Germany weiss/weizen beers.
Very satisfying beer.

I had a Widmer Hefeweizen a few years ago, but couldn't stand it, very dry in it's character as though it need a some citrus added to it. From my experience yesterday and today, with two Hefe six packs from two different stores,... they fixed that, and now it's SooooPerrrrB.
I have no complaints about this beer, so why should I give it anything less than 100% = 5/5
This beer is so satisfying, so beautifully balanced, my body loves it!!!!

I wouldn't change anything about it, it's maximum satisfaction for my body.
Beer is great food, and great body therapy on occasion, variable per person.
Know thyself, let your body prudently direct.

And no, I didn't go through both six packs,... yet, that'll be over the course of a week probably, though I have had six in the past 24+ hours. That's very rare for me, but I haven't eaten as much, taking a little rester, and it's been very hot, unseasonably hot.

Also, they've got a new bottle graphic, not the one shown in the picture.

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy golden-orange, low foam for just a while, which is not traditional for a hefeweizen. Lots of floating bits tho.
Smell is citrusy, low banana and clove, but lots of spicy hops.
Really fruity, with tropical passion fruit, banana, red apple, lime and grapefruit. Lots of citrus peel and bubblegum. Wheaty malts. Spicy, with white pepper, clove, faint anise and some sweet dark spice, like cinnamon or nutmeg. Spicy herbal hops in the finish, packing a decent bitterness, but not covering up the lingering fruitiness.
Not as "chunky" as a German weizen, but zesty and refreshing.
Wouldn't call it a hefeweizen, but it's a nice tasty wheat ale.

1.52/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

A: Pale yellow, not clear but doesn't look cloudy.

S: Doesn't smell like any Hefeweizen I've had, but reminds me of Bud or Pabst.

T: Certainly doesn't taste like a Hefeweizen. Citrus flavor.

M: Crisp, but much less thick than I'd expect for Hefeweizen.

Completely disappointed. Went into this expecting a traditional Hefeweizen, but got an "American Hefeweizen" instead; definitely not to my taste. I don't often do this, but I poured this out after finishing about half of it. The flavor just got worse and worse. If I should happen across another bottle at some point, I'll edit this if the future tasting is any better.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

Picked up in the world market 30% off build your own 6 pack.

Appearance: orange colored with a mild hazyness. Pours easy, which is unusual, and makes a decent head. Its head would probably be of a proper size in a Hefe glass (I used my scottish beer glass). I would say that it looks nice. 4

Smell: Its smell is a bit weak, but present and to style. Some spice smell (nutmeg\clove) with a banana like ester (think the smell you get from banana laffy taffy). Both are very reserved, and a sweet malt grain aroma comes ahead stronger than these traditional flavors. not bad. 3.75

Taste: to be honest, this beer has a unique flavor profile, as noted below. It is defiantly american and wears it like a badge. The flavor of this one comes very strongly for its malt. Its wheat character is very bright and lovely, and this beer feels a lot more like a american wheat ale than a hefe, but its close enough in my opinion. Not as much hops as you might think, but its a bit present (but hard to taste through the carbonation). A good experience. 4

Mouthfeel: This beer has a carbonation to it, but it oddly enough does not bit your tongue very hard. It also feels like it has a heavy mouthfeel from the wheat and yeast. Id say to style of American hefe. 3.75

Overall: Now this brew is one that I thought was very nice. One word review: approachable. This is a great starter hefe and something that your friends will enjoy as much as you will. Id say that its good with every meal after brunch (within reason) and is a good go-to beer, that has is own style and flavors separate from other traditional hefe beers and is worth trying, at full price (bar or retail 6 packs). 4

Would have again.

Odd tasting notes: Id say that this beer had a taste I I would say is almost wine like....particularly the low ABV wine my dad used to pick up for passover (joyven red). A fruity sherbet like flavor. I like it, It takes me back to good times ^^

4.27/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am wheat beer guy so I figured I would give this a chance since I heard good things about it. Even though its not a German Hefeweizen I found it very good. This was my first beer from Widmer so I was skeptical at first. Definitely recommend it to any wheat beer fans out there.

3.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I understand this was the beer that created the US style Hefeweizen around three decades ago.
Hazy golden color with a thin head with short retention.
Aroma of fresh oranges, some banana and floral and herbal hops.
Refreshing flavor of pale and wheat malt, oranges, bread and pineapple after warming up. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Light body with good carbonation and a light tartness.
Interesting Hefeweizen, wheat and yeast is not really predominant here and it is packed with twice as much of IBUs in comparison to the standard style (30, from US hops varieties). Making it closer to a smooth Pale Ale and being less cloying.

3.47/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy, golden pale color with a thin off-white head. Some floating particles were visible in the beer. Smelled of orange, banana, lemon. However, the aroma was not overly strong and it was difficult to really decipher the flavors. Taste, not much flavor, but could pick up on the citrus flavors. Light body, some carbonation. again nothing that really stood out. Decent brew, but nothing earth-shattering here.

3.17/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Sampled on 11/26/13. Bottled chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange in color with a small white fizzy head. Some spotty lacing was seen but not a lot. The aroma is of wheat, grassy grain and citrus. The taste was similar with a light hint of spice as well. A slight hoppy aftertaste was noted but not too strong. Slightly drier finish as well as some other Hefe's. Above average carbonation. First brew I have had from this company but seen a few others types they make around.

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a finger of head on a hazy straw colored body.
The aroma is lemon and pine.
The taste is on the fruity sweet side throughout without any balance. An easy drinker for sure.
The texture is soft with moderate carbonation.
It doesn't taste bad and it apparently sells well.

3.59/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The key to rating this beer is on the label. It says American Hefeweizen. This is not a german hefe and should not be treated like one. It will be lighter in texture and drier. There may even be a hint of bitterness to it. These are all there. Having said that, it could still be more. The aroma is more like a wheat ale. It is a bit muted with a floral touch. The body is light and the mouthfeel is lively. The finish again is dry with a touch of hop bitterness. A good example of an Americanized hefeweizen. Refreshing.

3.37/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Is very good, don't get me wrong, but there is a bitter chemical aftertaste that lingers which I really do not like. Great if there is nothing else to drink, or t is on sale, but generally won't gravitate to it in the supermarket isle. Good wit flavor, has chew to it, but don't look forword to the after taste.

3.51/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pour is average with the typical hefeweizen cloudy color and an unimpressive head. Smell leads with the spice but there are the usual banana and clove notes in there too. The smell is misleading, as the taste may not have enough spice and is largely about the wheat with subtle banana, clove, and lemon. It's equally sweet and tart. Mouthfeel is medium-thick (for a hefeweizen) with a touch of crispness but could maybe use a touch more. I didn't like this beer at all during my first sips, but it got better, and that's likely due to it warming up a bit and me noticing some of the more subtle flavors there. I usually prefer a more straightforward hefeweizen, but for more advanced palates (and for those who are not opposed to drinking this at temperatures above 40 degrees) this is likely to be enjoyed for what it is (assuming you like wheat that doesn't attach too tightly to yeast flavors, as the yeast here is concealed).

3.52/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Widmer Brothers American Hefeweizen (2013) - Surprisingly hoppy. Bold for a hefenweizen. Good head retention. Nice golden wheat body. Good carbonation very active. Flights caramel nose. Smooth crisp mouth feel. Nice sweet and lemon aroma. Mid pallet less hops. Mellow bready aftertaste. Good hefenweizen. 3.5 out of 5.

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle in a standard pint glass.

A-It's a hazy orange color with lots of suspended wheat sediment. The thin white-colored head fades fast to a film. Some Lacing. Nice looking.

S-Lots of wheat and yeast plus a blend of fruit and spice. I pick up some banana, lemon citrus, spice and clove. Nothing is overpowering making for a good mix.

T-Some citrus, lemon and orange. Wheat, caramel malt. Yeast is hidden.

M- Smooth light body. No yeast kick, watery finish.

O- It looks and smells very good, then heads downhill. I expected better.

3.63/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Healthy looking pour. Wheat beer in a mason jar. Muddy dark orange. Lots of suspended yeast. Head is nice and fat. Great look.

Phenolic clove and lots of chunky wheat malt. Light lemon and orange gets wrapped up in an odorous yeast. Faint banana. Very wheaty.

Spicy and wheaty with a lemon/orange whisper, but otherwise, a little withdrawn. Not watery, just not boasting. Clove is mild, banana near-absent. I get it's a hefe, but it's missing yeast activity.

Feels good. Wooly with carbonation. Has good heft.

Has its shortcoming. Could go either way with this.

2.42/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. At least it LOOKS like a hefeweizen. Cloudy pale yellow.

Nose only reveals hop aroma. No hint of banana, clove, bubblegum, or any fruity esters. What's going on here?

Taste confirms it: Hefeweizen in name only. Hop bitterness and flavor predominate, and are more in line with a standard bitters. Wheat and malt both very subdued

Mouthfeel is smooth enough; I guess there is some wheat in here after all.

Generally a disappointment; neither as interesting nor as refreshing as a hefeweizen, and the amount of hops doesn't go well with the wheat character.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

A- Cloudy pineapple juice color with a very subtle head on top. Head retention is minimal.

S- Has a sweet citrus smell, almost tropical. I hate to use the phrase twice but it has a pineapple aroma too. Really digging the smell. It's soothing.

T- Initial reaction to this was "Mmmmm". All the tropical aromas come out on the second sip. Makes it almost too easy to drink.

M- Actually feels a bit full on the palate. Light carbonation makes it very smooth. Has the same citrus bite of fresh squeezed OJ.

O- I really enjoyed this one. Sorry to see that it didn't get higher numbers than others.

3.51/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy yellowish orange with very low head. Tiny light yellow foam ring. Mild carbonation.

S: Wheat, mild sweetness. Lemon and light orange peel with coriander. Mild yeastiness.

T: Clean crisp and tangy up front. Sweet lemon (sour lemonade?) rushes in. Finishes tangy again from the carbonation.

M: Finishes clean from the tanginess. I like how the unfiltered fullness balances nicely with the tang.

O: Refreshing. It paired well with sharp food; I had a blue cheese salad with this and this lighter beer really played well with the stinky cheese. Not a big beer by any means, but can really hit the spot on a hot day. And it doesn't need the lemon it came with in my honest opinion.

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a Weiss vase, the beer is a bright, hazy, almost opaque, straw-yellow coloring with a filmy, light, white ring around the surface. Aromas of banana bread, clove, and lemon zest. Flavors are toasty forward, with a backbone of banana and lemon blended sweetness, clove, all-spice, and nutmeg spicing, and a hint of bready characteristics. Light and smooth in mouth, with a crispness to the finish from the carbonation. Slightly cloying sweet linger in the finish.

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured a cloudy yellow with a finger and a half fluffy white head. Quite attractive and probably the best part of the beer. Scents of wheat malt, slight citrus and a faint hint of floral notes. The scents of an American Pale Wheat ale. The flavor followed the nose, wheat malt, some citrus, mild floral hops and hop bitterness with bready yeast and some sour notes on the finish. The flavors of an American Pale Wheat ale. The mouthfeel was light bodied with high carbonation. The texture and mouthfeel of an American Pale Wheat ale. This was an American Pale Wheat ale, a good one, but nothing special. Just one of very many, in a very crowded field. While it was one of the first major examples of the style, it simply does not hold up to the best of the field. But on a summer day, with nothing else but PBR, it is quite nice.

4.06/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A surprise find on Disney property - certainly better than some of the other big name brands they had available.

The brew pours out an appealing orangish-yellow that although opaque, was nice on the eyes, little to no head or lacing though. It had a citrusy smell, with strong malty scents and some other spices I couldn't tell. I really like it when I can taste what I smell and this beer delivered on that. Definite taste of orange mixed with lime and some spices (that again I couldn't tell what they were.) It had a strong pale ale aftertaste that offset the light carbonation that I like so much. Overall, it was a good beer. I had two of them and won't hesitate to try another one again.

2.06/5  rDev -36.4%

I don't normally write reviews other than an overall number but I was so wildly disappointed in this beer that I felt it necessary. I bought a selection of Hefeweizen's from Trader Joe's that I had never had before as the weather has been quite nice and obviously they are usually a nice pair.

I don't know how Widmer Brothers can call this a hefeweizen. I can't call myself an expert but I am fairly familiar with hefeweizens, and this is nothing like any I have ever had, in a bad way. The only obvious flavors are wheat and yeast, and the yeastiness is incredibly dilute, much akin to Bud Light or something similarly shitty. I can't qualify the wheat flavor because it is too weak, which is odd considering the importance of wheat in a hefeweizen. MAYBE I can taste a tiny bit of apple but it is very much an afterthought, only notable after burping. I can maybe notice a slight spiciness if I sit here and focus completely on every sip. But the various citrus/fruit flavor, spiciness and wheat prominence one would expect is severely lacking. There is zero body to this beer.

I will finish it only because I paid for it. I would definitely hesitate to call it undrinkable as there isn't anything particularly offputting (just lacking in the first place), but it is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH DRINKING again, or for the first time. I have been drinking exclusively craft beer for about a year now (by that I really only mean I do not drink Bud-anything, Miller, PBR etc., I certainly will drink from larger breweries like New Belgium or Sierra Nevada), and this is definitely the most disappointing beer I have had during that time. I have had a few DIPA's that I could not finish because of the bitterness but at least they had other redeeming qualities. There are hundreds of other hefeweizens out there that are a thousand times better.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Orange cloudy color, could see the yeast floating In the beer. Pour hard to get even a slight head leaving a small ring with not much lace. Smell is sweet wheat, yeast, citrus pretty much about it. The taste is about the same with a kinda thin mouthfeel almost watery touch to it. Overall is simple, it has flavor but simple. but I guess for the style its decent. I think I like sam adams summer ale a little better, and its problay sams seasonal I dislike the most.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company