Widmer Hefeweizen - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

alcohol by volume: 4.9%
original gravity: 11.75° PLATO

Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Widmer Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 780 | Hads: 1,999
3.18/5  rDev -2.2%

An American Wheat that poured a small white head with small bubbles that quickly diminished. There was fair lacing with this brew. The body was cloudy and it had a yellow hue. In my opinion it had a light malty aroma along with a citrus aroma. The taste was lightly bitter from start to finish along with a medium body. The carbonation in this brew was fizzy.

3.36/5  rDev +3.4%

A dark gold cloudy pour with a off white head that left a pretty decent lace. The aroma was a bit mild but hints of yeast, citrus and a small hint of wheat are present. The taste is a reflection of the aroma ,a typical weissen beer with a crisp clean finish.. Overall a good brew!

3.01/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Small white head on an opaque yellow orange body micro-bubbles, with excellent lacing.

Almost no aroma but what aroma there is, is a typically fruity, wheat-y aroma.

Again light in all respects, rather bland.

Light body, tiny bubbles.

This is easy to down, yet for some reason I did not bother to drain the glass.

3.26/5  rDev +0.3%

When it comes to wheat beers I rarely stray from the german Biermeisters who own the style. But this one was recommended to me and I gave it a try. Looks similar to it's german counterpart and even more cloudy. Dark golden with sizable head. Smell is on the citrus side and not yeasty as the german wheats. Flavor is fruity and also more so than the german wheats. Not a bad effort but I'll stick with the german wheat beers.

2.88/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Widmer Bros. Hefeweizen is probably the most popular of its style in the country & I had it again on a recent trip to Portland. On tap the beer pours very nicely, excellent head & body. The smell of the beer is fresh and clean but noticably lacks any banana or clove note. The taste is likewise clean, but again there is no banana, clove or real spice flavors. There seems to be higher carbonation than one would normally find in a hefeweizen. Widmer's Hefe has always struck me as more of an American Wheat than an actual hefeweizen because of it's lack of banana/clove taste. (this would be true of almost all of the Northwest's "hefeweizens").

That doesn't mean it is bad, however. It does have a nice crispness and a clean finish that makes it a great beer for the summer. It seems to have found its niche as an alternative for people who otherwise would be drinking Budweiser/Miller/Coors.

3.38/5  rDev +4%

This does not have my favorite notes in a hefe: the banana clove aromas and flavors that make one discard the lemon wedge with a swift hurling motion. That would be the biggest strike against it. Color was darker than what I have come to expect from Hacker-Pshorr and Allagash White (not technically a hefeweizen, but you get what I mean.) Perhaps I was expecting character that the Widmer Brothers did not intend to impart.

The head disappeared quickly in my glass at home, even as I have now observed a long-lasting head on tap at Cataqua in NH. The aroma was sorely lacking, with some honey and spice.

Good things: mouthfeel was bigger and brawnier than I would expect, even when served a touch on the cold side (I popped it 5 min. out of the fridge.) The lingering clean wheat flavor was cherishable, and I could see having several before complaining about "drinkability" and switching gears. I'm probably going to keep a store on hand for most of the summer, as I could see this as a "gateway" beer.

1.9/5  rDev -41.5%

Karma police, arrest this beer. It doesn't look like a wheat, smells like a lawn mower beer. Doesn't taste like anything, struggle to get it down. This is what you get when you mess with mediocraty. For a minute there, I lost my taste, I lost my taste........

2.71/5  rDev -16.6%

This came to the table a cloudy tarnished-orangish-tan with no head.

There was almost no nose to the beverage, but what was there was citrusy and a tinge of hops, maybe a little yeast.

The taste reflected the smell. There was a pleasant slight orangyness and also a yeasty taste. I found a little nuttyness present also. but it seemed to be way overcarbonated and harsh on the tongue. I would like to try this beverage again at home, from a bottle. It might just be the serving facilities at the resturant that served it.

3.92/5  rDev +20.6%

The beer pours a winsome “Chill Hazed golden-orange color, the head is masterful in size, texture is frothy and the color off white with the lace a fine coating upon the glass. Nose has a nice yeast aroma and the malt sweet and also citrus crisp and fresh, with the top middling in its feel. Finish has perky acidity and the hops spicy in their bite, aftertaste quite dry and long lasting, a decent “Hefe” and one that hits the spot on hot Arizona summer days.

2.35/5  rDev -27.7%

This is a tough one. It's hard to know if I should review this as a Hefeweizen or as an "American Wheat Beer." If I were to review it as the former - it would be unsatisfactory. As the latter - it's perhaps the epitomy of the style. Given that I think that the emerging style of the "American Wheat Beer" is marginal at best, I guess I'll review it as a Hefeweizen and thus do double service as both a review and a comment on the style.
Initial pour shows an odd and almost bright orange colour with the only similarity to a Hefeweizen being its cloudiness. Little to no head that quickly fades to a thin but slightly clingy lace. Aromas are predominantly yeast and fruit with an undercurrent of malt and the slightest hint of wheat/grain.
First tastes are of a mild crispness and yeast, smooth and mid-bodied. This promises a flavorful beer, but this hope is dispelled by the following blast of hops, which overwhelm the fruit, wheat and malt that should define the style. The finish is dominated by the fading bitterness from the hops and an odd "off" flavour that could well be from the yeast.
Sigh... not to my taste.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

Bought this beer in a 12 oz. thin brown glassed long neck, with the Widmer crest embossed apon the glass.
Appearance : mm bright , cloudy, dark golden almost orange in colour , with a white creamy head which is small and fades to a nice lace down the glass.
This one had a slight hoppy scent for a hefeweisen. Then i smelled lemon grass..some very slight banana aromas too.
Very crisp, can tatse some hop bitterness, very creamy and not too acidic. I can also taste some banana and also apples. The bitterness returns right at the very end..nice.
Very nicelly carbonated, smooth on the tongue..I like this.
All in all an excellent American Hefe, would drink this again and soon!!

Well, time to return to my roots. This was one of the first micros I introduced myself too to steer my evil, macro-swilling ways. This bottle seems to have very little head and seems to be a bit thin when compared to draght version. Garnished with the traditional lemon, the taste is comparable with that off of the tap. Wheaty and somewhat sweet. Mind you, my tastes of greatly matured since my first Hefeweizen, but it never hurts to go back and remember what got you to where you're at today.

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I should say, if I were judging this solely on personal taste, I'd probably rank it much lower -- all 2's. Personally, I find the infusion of the northwestern hops and the citrusy wheat style to be a bit jarring. During the summer months, I do periodically enjoy Bell's Oberon which is in this style.

The beer itself, as I had it, was served in a fun bottle with Widmer's logo (?) raised in the glass of the bottle. The beer poured beautifully and had a beautiful golden color which is moderately translucent at most. Very nicely cloudy. The taste was clearly that of an Americanized wheat beer -- more or less what you'd expect: citrus, wheat, some yeast flavor at the end. Very simple but refreshing. I prefer Oberon if I'm going to drink this style, but I have a few more of these in my fridge that I'll clearly be consuming in the future.

3.63/5  rDev +11.7%

It poured a thick hazy yellow color with little foam on the head. The smell was of a wheat nature and the taste was the same, wheat and mild hops. There isn't as much wheat flavor as in the "tap" hefeweizen. I wouldn't buy this beer in the bottle again, but, I will still drink this beer when on tap!

3.08/5  rDev -5.2%

Brief white head, pale orange color. Citrus in the nose, plus oranges, herbs. Solid body, easy mouthfeel and texture. Something's missing, though, and it's not a lemon. Soft palate, refreshing, but rather mundane. Sorry, it doesn't zap me like a good wheat ale should

2.42/5  rDev -25.5%

Got this at an Albertson's grocery store in Huntington Beach. My dad informed me you could buy any beer as a single in CA. How cool is that? Anyway, I did not have the luxury of a lemon in the hotel, so this went in the water glass. Murky dark yellow color with thin white head and lacing. Aroma is a pretty rudimentary citrus. The flavor is a mixture of citrus, malt and clove but that mixture did not really move any mountains. Finish is sweet. Not really that enjoyable.

Cloudy golden color with an ivory head but leave little to no lace. Grainy aroma and taste. Has a yeasty profile but definitely American Wheat Style and not a Bavarian Hefe-Weizen as named.

A solid American wheat beer and a good transition beer to introduce people to the bavarian style.

Label states "Unfiltered Wheat Beer"

Aug/04/01 printed on neck. Tasted 01/03 (old) -- Will look to taste again fresh but have had this one many times and it's a keeper.

4.15/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the darker hefe's although not as dark as some. It's not on the pale end of the style anyway. Very yellowish light tan with a good wet creamy bright white head. The head wasn't as big as the one on the really good hefes. The yeast gives this beer an almost pearlescent quality. The aroma is good citrus, although more organge or tangerine than lemon with nice floral/banana esters. You can smell the wheat in this one. The flavor is unusually BLAM for a hefeweizen. Schneider Weiss is huge bubblegummy esters, but this is great big wheat and malt backed up with just enough esters (which I'm actually tasting as banana instead of bubblegum for once) to balance the beer out. This is also a tad bit sweeter than most in the style.

4.38/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another excellent brew from the Pacific Northwest. Widmer's very popular and widely distributed Hefeweizen is a very enjoyable brew when found on tap -- and is considerably more enjoyable under the same environment -- whereas the bottled version is not exactly a favorite of mine.

This one pours with a very large head that stays for long periods of time. As the brew goes down, the glassware is home to considerable lacing. Aroma wise, you can catch glimpses of the caramel malts which lends itself to a very traditional, Germanesque aroma that often cannot be attained through most North American brewed Hefeweizens.

Taste wise, this is among the better Hefeweizen's that can be found in the Pacific Northwest, if not all of North America. Extremely consistent on tap, and in the bottle too, but as said before, this one's best experienced on draught.

3.51/5  rDev +8%

This is a simple and good beer. Wicked because it goes down way too smooth and I could completely forget that I have obligations this evening.

The appearance of this wheat beer is excellent. The cloudy, deep golden-yellow is a great pour. The head was clingy all the way to the last drop. A most excellent attribute for this tasty brew.

The wheat-malt flavor is superbly balanced, it is not too forward...yet it brings out a subtle sweetness that is paired well with the gentle but spicy hop flavor. A citrus flavor enhances this marriage of malt and hop. It is rich but non-invasive. There is not the traditional Hefe notes of banana and clove. However, I can allow for a bit of artistic license with this brew because it accounts for all other qualities of goodness. (I may have rated the *taste* portion a bit higher if it had.) The finish is refreshing to the senses, clean and warm. This is premium octane for washing down dinner.

I think I would be willing to recommend spicy Thai food. I think that a NW Hefe in the beer world would be a nice substitute for a Reisling or a Gewurtztraminer.

3.67/5  rDev +12.9%

definitely not as good as it is on tap, but it was worthwhile.
pours orange copper with a nice head that will hang around for a little bit. smells of grains and yeast.

the beer is still crisp and goes down great, but it is cloudier and much more yeasty out of the bottle than on tap. it is still a good choice, but it is not put together as well.

4.15/5  rDev +27.7%

I first remember this beer on tap at Comos in Ferndale as I primed my palate for a d'Arenberg tasting.

Now, from a bottle, I get an atypical toastiness on the nose. It is very pleasant and serves to define the abundant sweetness that forms the base of the beer.
Rich, satisfying, sunny. A 1970 Nova on a dirt road.
Sun-dried wheat crust turns supple as moderate carbonation supports a creamy, chewy, satin-draped texture.
Hop bitterness, again, possibly atypical, keeps the finish focused and clean.

I'm torn by a sentimental attachment to KBC Oberon, but I think this might be a better Wheat. As good as the USA has brought to me. Almost in a league with the Munich mob.

3.71/5  rDev +14.2%

Orange with a copper cast. The frothy white head is short lived but holds a good collar and leaves some very minor lace. The aroma is slighty fruity (some light citrus) with some nice malt and a touch of spicy hop. The body is thin, with a lightly creamy mouthfeel and a gentle carbonation bite on the tongue. The flavor is malty up front (slightly earthy), with a spicy hop flavor appearing towards the back of the palate, and ending with a dry and spicy hoppiness that sticks around just long enough to be memorable yet refreshing. Well balanced, though possibly a bit bitter - but this is from Oregon! A decent, unfiltered, hoppy American wheat ale.

4.3/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Mmmmmmmm...this is even better on draught. The bottle was smooth, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, it did! Full flavored, and very easy to drink. See my review from the bottle.

Cloudy orange gold color. The aroma is full of grain and yeast with solid notes of fruit and citrus. The taste is smooth and crisp, mildly spicy, with malted wheat and yeast. Good hops bitterness.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company