2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Drifter Pale Ale - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Caramel 20L, Caravienne 20L, Caramel 80L, Carapils

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Summit, Nelson Sauvin
Dry Hopped: Summit, Nelson Sauvin

(Beer added by: madtappers on 12-23-2008)
View: Beers (70) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drifter Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 901 | Reviews: 406 | Show All Ratings:
highTempo

Oregon

2.7/5  rDev -28%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Low carbonation. Has a good medium color for a pale ale - maybe a touch darker orange/brown than average. 1.5 finger head with a gentle pour.

S - The smell has a bit of skunk to it - definitely an odd bitter hop character. There's a little citrus in there but the unpleasant hop is overwhelming it.

T - Starts of nicely with some malty flavor upfront. This dissolves into a 'skunky' hop that matches the aroma.

M - Not a lot of carbonation. It's a smooth, decent, drinkable feel.

Widmer beers vary a good deal in my opinion and this is my least favorite of all of their offerings that I've tried. I'm not sure why it's so popular. If they'd completely change up the hop it might be a nice beer but the hop if pretty forward and pretty off-putting.

08-31-2011 18:58:19 | More by highTempo
NoCurse2012

South Carolina

4.46/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the "go to" beer of choice. In my opinion, it is the best $7 six pack in the grocery store. Widmer does a great job of producing a high quality beer at an average Joe price. This is the working man's craft beer. Great amber color with just enough bite to remind you that it is a high quality beer, without the sticker shock.

11-10-2012 20:32:26 | More by NoCurse2012
badmoonrison

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

A good pale ale. The "bite" is grapefruity but not too harsh like some. I bought it as part of a sampler pack at my local Hy-Vee liquor store... purely on a whim. Probably mellow enough to enjoy at dinner, yet quite drinkable if you're trying to get a little tipsy.

10-01-2009 02:09:03 | More by badmoonrison
BaileysBrew

Nebraska

4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz bottle

Pours with a momentary head, which quickly dissipates. Some lacing at the edges. Wouldn't mind a little more staying power in the head.

The beer has a very pretty clear, orange hue that is more distinct from other pale ales I've seen.

Smells of tangerines and grapefruits. Fruit essence is right up front on a beer with no fruit.

And amazingly the fruit essence comes through in your first drink. Those Summit hops are amazing when done properly, can really fool you that there was no orange peel addition.

The beer fills your mouth with a good level of carbonation and is pretty smooth . Overall, this beer goes down easy and fast and is very approachable. Recommended for Saturday afternoon on the porch. Enjoy responsibly.

02-19-2011 14:15:57 | More by BaileysBrew
ColdBrains

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Pours golden yellow, with a two finger, billowing head.

S - Pleasant aromas, with a slight crisp citrus smell. But generally somewhat aromatically challenged.

T - Again, pleasant and quite enjoyable but somewhat unmemorable. Great balance of bitterness. Drinkable.

M - Bit heavy on the carbonation.

O - This beer didn't blow me away or change my drinking worldview. However, it did offer a very pleasant drinking experience. If I found one in my friend's fridge, I'd certainly give it a whirl, but wouldn't purchase one myself.

12-05-2011 05:58:45 | More by ColdBrains
helloglob

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%

I have a couple 22's of this brew that were gifted to me... my previous experience with widmer was unsatisfying but thought i'd give it another shot.

a: pours a clear amber with pretty decent head retention. a bit lighter than i expected.
s: smells sweet and hoppy. however, not in a pleasing way! the scents seem to contradict each other. i suppose you could say it's balanced?
t: i gotta say... very boring... although i'm not much of a fan of pale ales in general, i think they sweetened up too much. aftertaste is unpleasing.
m: the best part of this beer. it's got a very milky mouthfeel and an overall pleasant relationship with the tongue.
overall: this beer is pretty average.

12-08-2011 05:38:19 | More by helloglob
B-Rad

2.45/5  rDev -34.7%

I'm not a fan of this ale. I kept getting this tasted of body odor while drinking it. It looked nice in the glass- a pretty amber color with carbon bubbles rising. Interestingly it didn't smell of body odor; it has a sweet hoppy aroma. The mouthfeel was kind of thin. I just cannot get over the body odor flavor to it. I poured it into a glass to let it breathe thinking that the BO like flavor was from bottle skunk but the flavor didn't change much. I would not recommed this ale to anyone.

09-14-2012 20:55:18 | More by B-Rad
beernut0875

4.55/5  rDev +21.3%

Appearance: Copper carmel color with nice head retention and carbonation.

Smell: nice malty nose with the hops coming through, lots of citrus

Taste: WOW, this is very different; these hops give a lot of grapefruit notes, with other rich fruits following through. Not much in the way of bitter aftertaste, very smooth and inviting.

Mouthfeel: Decent amount of carbonation for a PA. Silky-smooth easy to drink

Overall: This beer has a flavor of no other pale ale, It is very approachable and has great flavor, making me yearn for another.

01-09-2009 13:51:36 | More by beernut0875
jonbad19

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Pleasantly surprised to find this kind of output from widmer. I poured it from the bottle into my chalice. The head didn't stick around for that long, the beer had a nice clear, slightly ruby hue. The smells were the highlight of the beer for me, without looking i would guess it was some combo of west coast hops. Very nice. The taste was nice because the hops came through initially but it was a surprisingly balanced pale. The nose prepared me for a near ipa style, but it was nice to have the balance between the hops and the malt. The mouthfeel definitely fit the style, and i felt like i could definitly drink a few more of these upon finishing. Spot on widmer...spot on.

03-08-2009 05:30:31 | More by jonbad19
ttam281

1.78/5  rDev -52.5%

I had high hopes for this beer as I love Broken Halo and their hefe. But this on just didn't work out for me. The amount of bitterness is perfect for an american pale ale but the type of hops they used disagrees with my palate 100%. Their website said they used summit, nelson sauvin, and alchemy hops in this beer. I'm assuming its the summit or the Nelson Sauvin hops because I like their IPA and it has alchemy hops in it. Would be a great beer if they used something like cascade instead. But then I guess it'd probably just taste like Sierra Nevada.

06-11-2009 18:26:58 | More by ttam281
jdc8d8

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +25.3%

At Champps sports bar in Indianapolis on tap.

More of a red/amber color than I expected from a pale ale.

Tasted great, surprised me with the flavor in a good way.

Was easy to drink and was very smooth. Was through a 20 oz in literally minutes.

Ordered several and will be looking for six paks at my local Friar Tucks.

02-06-2010 00:13:21 | More by jdc8d8
theperfectGF

3.9/5  rDev +4%

This was my first experience with beverages from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company. Had a great grapefruit scent that carried through to the taste. Was crisp with good hop flavor. Nice amber coloring. Easy drinking and very enjoyable, could definitely have a few of these. Will be sure to look for it again.

03-14-2011 17:35:40 | More by theperfectGF
fcarreras

Arizona

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Disclaimer - I was recovering from a cold when I tried this.

Had this beer on tap at Cadillac Ranch in Tempe, AZ. This was the closest place I could find that was already carrying it, but the place is not my favorite.

Hard to judge the color as the bar was dark and lit with red mood lighting. There was virtually no head, and very little carbonation detected.

The aroma was very distinctly grapefruit, as was much of the flavor. Again, I was still a bit congested drinking this.

The taste was refreshing and clean. Very little maltiness to balance out the citrus hoppiness. Aftertaste very reminiscent of grapefruit juice. Finish had a bit of a drying effect (think tart lemonade), so not really a thirst-quencher, but a solid refreshing beer none the less.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer very much (four times over). I look forward to trying it out of the bottle at home.

02-06-2009 17:32:31 | More by fcarreras
Immolation

Arizona

1.1/5  rDev -70.7%

Wow, This is a Horrible Beer.It tastes like it was Fermented in Dirty Socks,with Body Order added for Flavor.The Date on the side says Feb 10 09.I don't know if thats the "Born on Date" or "Expiration Date".? Widmer Dropped the ball on this one.I liked everything else they produced.

03-22-2009 09:46:29 | More by Immolation
lofsoc

4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

The smell of this beer is really attractive. I generally hesitate buying beer from the left coast(being from the right) but wanted to try a number of new ales. I'm glad I did. I have many friends who, despite my best efforts, drink right from the bottle. Shame on them as they would be missing a great asset of this brew.

06-25-2010 19:51:01 | More by lofsoc
mweinrich

South Carolina

3.71/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Has a really nice aftertaste, and "after-fragrance", but not all jasmine-tea flowery (the way regular Bud is). Doesn't have much head, but I don't suppose it's meant to--and I HATE excessive, "show-off-y" head anyway! Wouldn't hurt if the hops were slightly more bitter, but I don't mean that as a criticism; the ale's compatible with its own type.

06-22-2013 17:15:54 | More by mweinrich