2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series)Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series)

good

ABV: 10%
IBU: 20
OG: 23 P

Released April 2010

(Beer added by: jdense on 04-05-2010)
View: Beers (70) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series) Alström Bros
Ratings: 164 | Reviews: 134 | Show All Ratings:
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Drinkable only because of the honey sweetness. Honey and lager aroma. Slight yellw body, lacey. Baking soda in taste, light bodied, kiss of honey in every sip. Not great as a mead, and not as tasty as other braggots. A tad of off-note fruit juice.Thanks Trevor.

05-13-2011 12:26:12 | More by Sammy
UCLABrewN84

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a honey orange color with a 1 inch white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Random spots of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, honey, and some tropical fruity aromas. Taste is of biscuit/malt, some fruit flavors, and mead and honey. This beer has a decent carbonation level with a smooth and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some nice honey flavors. This is the first beer I have tried of this style and I would be open to trying other braggots in the future.

06-26-2011 06:06:55 | More by UCLABrewN84
mikesgroove

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

was pretty scared going into this one but figured it looked like a nice way to finish out my night, served into a snifter and enjoyed on 5/9/11

poured out a hazy amber color with loads of sticky lace that faded quickly and left a cloudy, still honey colored liquid in its wake. aroma is sweet, honey dominates but there is a light fruit note to this one as well. definitely interesting but not really doing anything outstanding for me at the moment. moving in closer i get decent favor, again lots of sweet malty notes, but very unbalanced and one sided. it just did not seem to have that huge, outstanding flavor i was looking for at all and with the abv this high it was not winning me over

overall it was an eh beer. nothing really standing out at all for me.

05-10-2011 03:21:01 | More by mikesgroove
brentk56

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a wisp of a head that disappears almost immediately; a few dots of lace

Smell: Fermented honey, tropical fruit and fusel alcohol

Taste: The fermented honey and tropical fruit flavors take over from the outset, with the fusel alcohol adding a burn by mid-palate; the sweeter flavors maintain their dominance after the swallow and into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: Worth a try for the opportunity to have a braggot, but not the type of thing I would come back to very often

Thanks, Douglas88, for the opportunity

02-26-2011 23:17:37 | More by brentk56
Thorpe429

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours golden with a bit of darker highlights. There is a tiny off white head without much lacing. The nose brings forward loads of sweetness as well as a bit of lightly-sweet fruits. A bit of spice. The taste, again, is sweet with some mild fruits. A bit of pear and apple. Mouthfeel is medium with fairly low carbonation. Overall, a strange beer that just didn't really work out in the end.

10-21-2010 02:32:22 | More by Thorpe429
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

16 ounce pint - $6.75 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Served up a clear, penny-hued body with a very thin, white head that vanishes near instantaneously.

Smell: Sweetish nose of knapweed honey against some simple wafts of pale malts. The addition of red prickly pear juice, for me, gives the beer a "wild berry" scent, reminiscent of various candies that label their flavor as such (i.e., Wild Berry Skittles).

Taste: Pale malts with some sugary sweet honey tastes. Faint floral accents. More of that "wild berry" prickly pear flavor, which begins to intensify as it warms. Hint of earthy spice. Only the slightest hint of hop character and bitterness. Peppery alcohol tones. Warming, drying finish with a lingering prickly taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium-low carbonation.

Drinkability: Kudos to Widmer for taking the madcap, creative route with this series, although I missed out on Brothers' Reserve #1. Oops. PPB is an amusing brew, going down fairly easy considering its sweetness and strength.

05-20-2010 15:00:48 | More by ChainGangGuy
TMoney2591

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

My second braggot, but the first from the states. There needs to be more of these bastards floatin' 'round, I tell you what. It pours a clear apricotty amber with nearly a finger of white bubbles for a head, though a gradual decapitation is soon the situation. Shame. The nose is white grape, saffron, raisins, and sour Granny Smith apples. (An aside: Who the hell was Granny Smith, anyway? I want an apple breed named after me! [insert tantrum here]) The taste winds up being pretty similar, with notes of white grape, peach, apples that aren't as sour as before, light honey, tart berries, and a vague sense of weak sourness throughout. The body is medium, with an active carbonation and a very fluid feel. Not bad, though much better than that other braggot. That whore.

06-15-2010 18:18:57 | More by TMoney2591
drabmuh

Maryland

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Beer poured into my St B goblet. Beer is yellow / orange and completely clear. Forms a thin head that immediate disappears. Some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is high. It looks like champagne. Its about as pretty as a beer can get. Very nice.

Aroma is pretty sweet. A lot like honey.

Beer is thin and really really sweet. Its dry on the back. Its plasticy its so sweet. Eh. Lots of honey, I'm not getting cactus pear (prickly pear). I'm from AZ and I love cactus pear but this doesn't have any of the characteristics.

08-19-2010 02:27:04 | More by drabmuh
Mora2000

3.78/5  rDev +5%

The beer pours a clear slightly orange-yellow color with a tiny white head. The aroma is fruity. I guess that is the prickly pear but I am not sure. The flavor is honey and the same fruit from the aroma. The alcohol is present as well and I get something else that I believe is wheat. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I think this beer could have been better if they would have toned down the alcohol just a little bit.

05-22-2010 04:37:20 | More by Mora2000
jlindros

3.86/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to rudzud for sharing. Spring '10 vintage.

Pours a very light head, semi hazy golden honey color.

Nose has sweet candy, big mead like honey character, fruity, boozy, a bit of esters even, light pear like stone fruit.

Taste brings sweet candy, lots of honey, fresh honey, bit of pear, nice fruity stone fruit like character, faint esters with a bit of booze, tingly booze. Finish is still semi sweet, more fruit and faint pear, light tingly estery booze, more drying honey flavor.

Mouth is med to fuller bod, lighter carb, plenty of warming tingly booze.

Overall not bad, but nothing really special.

07-05-2013 18:43:05 | More by jlindros
Knapp85

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

This beer was one I had been looking forward to trying for a while and I finally found a stash to buy one. The beer poured out as a golden color with a fizzy white head that settled rather quickly. The smell of the beer was sweet with some fruity notes to it, it also had some funky aromas in there too but nothing overwhelming. The taste of the beer started off with the pear-like flavors... some light metallic notes when chilled too low. The flavors finish off with the sweetness of the honey. The mouthfeel of the beer has a decent thickness to it, it's also pretty smooth. Overall this beer was good, I found it to be a solid Braggot but not the best I've had.

03-24-2012 03:08:00 | More by Knapp85
smcolw

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a golden, light amber. Quite clear. Not much of a starting head, but what remains leaves decent lace.

Smells creamy with a solid alcohol kick. Mostly malt as I detect no honey or "prickly pear".

Sweet and spicy; very different from the smell. The flavor up front is sweet (but not like honey). This lasts through the swallow but then a peppery bitterness shows up. Not the same as a hop pellet, but closer to ground cinnamon and a pinch of paprika. The alcohol warms the throat but does not play a dominate role. The body is rich. The carbonation adds to the swallow and aftertaste flavors, but I'd describe this beer as lowly carbonated.

07-18-2010 18:34:55 | More by smcolw
Halcyondays

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours goldenrod with a light white head, average retention.

S: Honey, light malt, ethanol.

T: Honey for sure, light residual sweetness, pretty much off-dry. Bready malt is there, the prickly pear is hard to find, there is an intriguing fruit note at the end, perhaps that's it.

M: Full-bodied, biting carbonation which I liked, smooth with a robust alcohol feel, but it never overtakes the beer, well integrated.

D: It's a shame more brewers don't do this style, because if I see Braggot available, I'm buying it. Nice flavours, I'm not wowed but this is solid. Still a style I'm really a neophyte with, props to Widmer for going out on a limb and making something really different.

05-02-2010 02:54:00 | More by Halcyondays
mactrail

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Sweet and tangy nectar. Honey flavor is quite pronounced but the fruit and spice give it some competition. Long nose of flowers and orange marmelade. Modest carbonation in the golden brew. Thick and rich in the mouth, though not sticky. Lots of residual sugar, and the honey flavor makes it taste even sweeter. But that's what you came in here for. Fruit could be anything, but it reminds me of sugar cane and canned peaches. Dates, with that same intense sweet flavor as honey. But a surprising bitter edge finally creeps up in the aftertaste. Still you'd never call it hoppy. It 's a good one for dessert in a glass.

This seems like it fits the description of the style. I guess I will have to try some other Braggots. You could do a lot with the wealth of fruit flavors people have tried with Saisons and other styles.

01-17-2012 05:22:54 | More by mactrail
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Purchased from the US to coincide with the Australian craft brewing industry's dappling in the world of Braggots. I thought it might be useful to have a comparison. Unfortunately, I was suitably unimpressed with the Braggots here.

Pours a clear and light golden colour, with a filmy head of fine white bubbles. Body is extremely heavy, almost gelatinous, in that you tilt it, and carbonation bubbles form and then give up on trying to push to the surface. Love the heaviness. Can't say I'm all that enamoured otherwise.

Nose is bland and slightly yeasty, giving a bit of bread dough character, and not a lot else. Slight hint of golden syrup, giving a little hint of sweetness, but I suspect it will be heavy, astringent booze otherwise.

Unfortunately, it's not even particularly strong or astringent, or anything on the palate. More of that faint bready yeast character, with a hint of plain sugary sweetness. Any honey character is well removed from the fermentation. Feel is light and bland.

Eh. Braggots, I feel, are not for me. This indeed ended up much like the examples I had from Australia, and although this is perhaps less astringent and offensive than the others I've had, it's still a very mild and uninteresting style.

04-16-2011 07:08:12 | More by lacqueredmouse
jdhilt

New Hampshire

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a one finger white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale yellow/amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is honey, flavor is a different braggot, honey but a different sweetness must be the prickly pear. High ABV is hidden. $8.40 for a 22oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, ME.

02-27-2011 23:26:10 | More by jdhilt
Jason

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

22oz brown bomber with a release date on the label.

Wispy white lace is good for the style, clarity dons a bright golden color. Clean aroma with hints of honey and tropical fruit, clean alcohol vapor as well. Smooth and slick with some body, nutty bready malt meets a growing alcohol honey warmth. Fruitiness and a hint of white chocolate are in the middle. Hops are minimal, perhaps some bitterness comes through but is probably not even needed as the alcohol draws enough balance. Semi-sweet finish.

More refined than most braggots I have had which is not many aside from homebrewed. Good sipping and something I could see ending the night with if not taking my time with over a big meal.

05-17-2010 01:30:28 | More by Jason
JohnGalt1

Idaho

The wife picked this up for me at the COOP yesterday... Poured into MNFG..

1" white head dies quickly.. but leaves a firm cap... the brew is polished deep golden.. very pretty.

Nose has some musky honey essence... lite ripe pear .. Really not sure what else I'm picking up on.. or at least I don't know how to describe it... reminds me of "sweet pea" blossoms..

Flavor speaks of what I know of meads.. dry meads.. a bit of floral elements.. nasturtium.. spicy yet not phenolic... yummy and very thought provoking..

I have no idea what I'm drinking, but this is unlike any mead/cyser/braggot that I've had before.. just interesting and a nice change of pace.

I will say good work and hope these stick around for a bit... I doubt the bottles will improve with age, but I will probably buy them just for a nice difference from the hoppy and dark wonders as long as I have access.

all 4's.

04-11-2010 08:48:26 | More by JohnGalt1
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange amber with very good clarity, and a constant thin stream of bubbles that rise from the bottom of the glass. Overall I'd say this has just a bit too much carbonation. Smells very sweet with honey and tropical fruit and a bit of noticeable alcohol. The taste isn't quite as sweet, there is a balancing bitterness that tastes more astringent and tannic than hoppy, more like ground fruit seeds. In any case it helps balance the sweetness and lends some structure. There is still tropical fruit, but no real hops detected. There is also a burst of citrus acidity that helps bring things together. Honestly, I didn't like this all this much at first sip, but as it warms and opens up it grows on me.

06-23-2010 02:54:48 | More by Georgiabeer
ccrida

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber bought and cellared since the release. Clear gold with lazy spritz but no significant head or lace. Flat ginger-ale vibe.

Smell is sweet, malty, a little caramel, as well as a bit of pithy mineral, and dare I claim desert flower fruit. It's a little cloying for my taste.

Taste is pretty good, a nice integration of the honey and the malt, which is mild. A bit phenolic, some plastic, but a nice little touch of the fruit on the finish saves it from being sub par. Not a big braggot / mead fan, this one is strongly in the mead camp, but it's got enough complexity to hold my interest.

Mouthfeel is slick, dry, on the light side, aided by the light malt and high attenuation. Really drinks a lot like a mead.

Drinkability is okay if you're a mead fan, this one really only flirts with faint bread characters that remind of the grains. I like the cactus fruit for a little complexity, as pure honey is just sugar and lacks character. The light body and very smooth alcohol aide it's cause, no off flavors, but I'm not wowed.

10-14-2011 06:02:17 | More by ccrida
beertunes

Washington

This my first Braggot and I don't think that Widmer really brewed this in the traditional manner, so I'm just gonna give a quick thumbnail review.

The beer poured a clear honey-yellow with a thin cap of white head that dissipated quickly and left some sticky lacing. The aroma was sweetly subdued, otherwise benign and neutral. The taste was sweet and smooth, a couple of the people I shared my bottle with found it too sweet, but these folks are hop heads. The body full, smooth and a on the sticky side. Drinkbility was OK, a 22 would have been more than I would have tackled on my own.

Overall, this beer was OK and after I try some more of the style, I'll adjust this review.

05-14-2010 23:32:22 | More by beertunes
thagr81us

2.28/5  rDev -36.7%

Served from bottle into McChouffe goblet. Pours golden with a minimal white head. Lacing was nice decent throughout. The aroma was comprised of pear, alcohol, and malt with a hint of honey. The flavor was of malt, fruit, and alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was my first tasting of this style so I didn't really know what to expect at all. I just hope others in this style taste better than this one unfortunately. The flavors were very harsh and didn't seem to blend well together in my opinion. It could probably use a little more sweet malt to help balance out the fruit bitterness and make it more enjoyable.

07-09-2010 15:14:50 | More by thagr81us
avalon07

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Poured from a growler to a snifter. Had a yellow brown color and a completely clear consistency. There was a quarter inch of foamy head that quickly dissipated. OK lacing.

S: A sweet aroma of malt, light fruit, honey, and hops.

T: An interesting flavor. Honey, peaches, malt, hops, and a sharp herbal quality. In some respects it reminds me of a sahti, but less herbal. Still, a very flavorful beer with a surprisingly high ABV%.

M: An extremely well-carbonated beer with a dry finish. Light-bodied. Very vibrant.

D: A drinkable beer, if a bit on the unusual side.

Serving type: growler

04-30-2010 12:10:04 | More by avalon07
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.85/5  rDev -20.8%

It came in a box, $7.49 for the 22oz bottle and like others, my first of the style.

It pours a light golden colour that looks like a lot of American adjunct beers. The foam started off good at close to 1 finger but collapsed shortly after. It did leave behind some decent lacing.

The smell is very much pear like with some really sweet notes of honey. Just like the label says. It doesn't have a noticeable smell of alcohol, which suits me fine.

The taste is....the good things, I can taste the honey and a good flavour of pears and very little alcohol. The bad thing(s)...it's boring. No oomph, if you will, in the flavour. Boring as hell and not something I'd find easy to drink at all.

Light bodied, light carbonation, not a good mouthfeel at all for me.

Drinkability? It will be tough to finish the bottle. I'm glad I got the chance to try it for the style but if the others of the style are anything like this, I'll pass. Definitely not for me.

05-16-2010 18:57:19 | More by Bitterbill
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. Limited Release #2 Spring 2010. 10% ABV, *Check box* Rob Widmer favorite (should it be both of theirs as it's a BROTHERS' reserve series? Bad marketing) MAR1110 printed on the neck.

Thanks go out to Sweemzander for the hookup on this brew!

A - A tall pour leaves the crystal clear golden braggot with just about a two-finger head. The cloud-white foam had a low retention as it descended but left foamy lave and a thin film on the beer. Inviting appearance overall.

S - Raw honey aroma just oozes from this beer with a fruity pear-like sweetness in tandem. I've never had the prickly pear fruit to my knowledge but I do get a little scent of that crisp pear sweetness in there. Not as mead-like in aroma as I had hoped/expected. The "beer" in it really shines through too much. Pale and Pilsner malts with a bit of grain on the back end. No hop presence at all.

T - Honey really stands out in the flavor as it imparts a rich sweetness and real raw honey taste. Prickly Pear comes across in the flavor, I imagine (since I can't recall ever having it), as a sweet but crisp fruity presence much like an apple or pear would impart. A small splash of thin solvent alcohol pokes it's head out slight on the finish just to let you know it really is there. All the honey and prickly pear notes blend well together but are hindered by the ingredients of the beer itself. It tastes like a grainy, pale malt backing with little thought before execution. The good side and poorer sides of this beer meet in the middle.

M - Smooth and medium in body, Prickly Pear goes down with a prickly carbonation bite. The sweetness goes unchecked but is balanced out in strength so that it's not cloying. An otherwise good mouthfeel is held back by a lingering metallic touch on the finish.

D - Hints of alcohol poke out but it's felt more in sensation while exhaling and towards the end of the last pint (2.5 hours later) but otherwise this beer has very good drinkability. By this sentence my first pint is almost gone. The actual beer side of this Braggot could use some work to bring up in quality though.

05-16-2010 19:40:15 | More by BeerFMAndy
Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company