Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series)Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series)

good

ABV: 10%
IBU: 20
OG: 23 P

Released April 2010

(Beer added by: jdense on 04-05-2010)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series) Alström Bros
kevosbob

Colorado

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This unique beer would be a wonderful summer treat while lounging in the sun and sleeping the day away. This special ale is brewed by Widmer Brothers Brewing Company and is number two in their Brothers’ Reserve series. A honey ale brewed with prickly pear juice boosts this light ale to have a 10% alcohol by volume. This summer delight is truly “One-of-a-Kind” and one I’m happy to share.

When tasting this beer it pours a nice golden-orange color with little to no head retention. The smell will remind any beer connoisseur of a sweet mead but with a mild grain aroma and a pleasant aroma of tropical fruit and alcohol. If I didn’t know better, you could probably serve this as a fancy $12 shot in a swanky Las Vegas bar.

At first taste this light beer is a bit overwhelming, it’s easy to forget that this is a big beer and not one awarded of any blue ribbon or royal status. Fermented honey and tropical fruit flavors take over with an onset of alcohol adding a burn by mid-palate. This braggot is enjoyable and well balanced. Prickly pear becomes apparent on the initial sweetness along with honey. The honey lingers for a pleasantly long time reconnecting with the prickly pear or citrus tastes after the alcohol burn subsides.

Each Brothers’ Reserve series is limited, and once they’re gone, they’re gone forever. With that said I recommend finding this beer while you still might be able to. If this was a beer that was easy to find and drink it would be a summer delight for any beer drinker, but it’s not, so drink up now before it’s too late.

My Beer Rating: 3.5 (4 if you can still find it)

05-30-2011 00:46:35 | More by kevosbob
donkeyrunner

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

"Hey, Hey I need more wenches.
Hey, Hey more wenches and mead."
-Alestorm, Wenches and Mead

The ladyfriend and I were heading over to see Thor so a pre-viking movie braggot seemed appropriate. Golden honey color with a thin white head. Head quickly fizzles itself out by mid-glass.

Not sure what prickly pear smells like but I get a cross between nectarine and agave nectar. Malty like a barleywine.

Tastes like a cirusy agave spritzer. Clean and refreshing for any beer, a braggot particularly. Wipes the palette after each sip. One year of aging does this combo well as there's no discernible heat.

05-16-2011 00:18:21 | More by donkeyrunner
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Drinkable only because of the honey sweetness. Honey and lager aroma. Slight yellw body, lacey. Baking soda in taste, light bodied, kiss of honey in every sip. Not great as a mead, and not as tasty as other braggots. A tad of off-note fruit juice.Thanks Trevor.

05-13-2011 12:26:12 | More by Sammy
JayQue

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

My first Braggot. Did not know what to expect, but it turned out to be a good experience. Started out with a pint glass, but switched to a goblet. Poured an almost clear orange color with a fairly small bubbly white head that fades fast. Almost no lacing.

Smell is honey and fruit (pears). Sweet aroma but not overpowering.

Taste is honey, bready malts and pears. There is a good hint of alcohol too that serves to cut the sweetness down to very acceptable levels.

Mouthfeel is rich. The high abv and the alcohol presence make this a sipping beer. I drank the whole thing sitting by my firepit and enjoyed it very much.

If this is what a Braggot is, I will certainly try more of them.

05-13-2011 02:29:46 | More by JayQue
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

was pretty scared going into this one but figured it looked like a nice way to finish out my night, served into a snifter and enjoyed on 5/9/11

poured out a hazy amber color with loads of sticky lace that faded quickly and left a cloudy, still honey colored liquid in its wake. aroma is sweet, honey dominates but there is a light fruit note to this one as well. definitely interesting but not really doing anything outstanding for me at the moment. moving in closer i get decent favor, again lots of sweet malty notes, but very unbalanced and one sided. it just did not seem to have that huge, outstanding flavor i was looking for at all and with the abv this high it was not winning me over

overall it was an eh beer. nothing really standing out at all for me.

05-10-2011 03:21:01 | More by mikesgroove
laituegonflable

Australia

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden orange colour with minimal head, just a haze of whispy cloud on top. Lace is very nicely sticky, indicating a heaviness to it. Body is clear, light bead. Not bad; not great.

Smell is very malty and nutty. Plenty of rich caramel with hazelnut tinge and peeking out the back is a pleasant citric note. Mostly just big malty sweetness.

Taste is very nutty and very grainy. Strong malty notes with a big honey-oat flavour to it. Lots of grain - oats, rye and wheat seem blended in here with a touch of weak citrus lingering at the back. Some mild earthy, truffly notes towards the back where it becomes more savoury and bitter, but hmmm... overall it's just a big blend of sweet maltiness. Not too nutty that it becomes svoury but not sweet enough that it belies that nuttiness. Yeah, pleasant palate with nice overall blend of flavours.

A bit thin on the body, but smooth, and fairly pleasant.

Quite a pleasant drop - certainly the best braggot I've had. Definitely still an oddness to this but it's nicely balanced and surprisingly drinkable.

04-29-2011 04:39:20 | More by laituegonflable
broken22

Prickly Pear Braggot Beer! WTH is what I said to myself. Without any hesitation I walked right up to the counter and bought this bad boy.

I poured this into a Duvel tulip glass. The color is a nice light honey orange. During the pour not much head formed at all and what little did form was gone very quickly. The smell is nice and sweet I wish I could elaborate. Its kind of honey like but more along the line of sweet smelling fruit without a distinct aroma. If they stayed true to the style of these beers then they blended mead which may have been a honey mead. The taste is much the same however on the back end after the swallow I do have a lingering sensation of the prickly pear. I have eaten a lot of these when I was a child growing up in San Diego and it definitely reminds me. The overall mouth feel is nice, light, and bubbly.

I like this beer. It's definitely different. If you haven't ever had a prickly pear I suggest you try one. Make sure they are nice and red to purple in color as those are the sweetest. I then suggest you try this beer if you can find it. It's a limited release. Oh and one more thing. Maybe this beer is the perfect combo for those that like to drink too much or are susceptible to getting hangovers. Scientists were exploring the prickly pear because they said it had certain properties to thwart hangovers.

04-26-2011 23:10:49 | More by broken22
jboucher

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

Brewed on March 11, 2010

Appearance: Clear amber hue with a small half finger white head. Moderate retention and very light lacing. There is abundant initial carbonation, which shortly fizzles down.

Smell: Malty honey, with the slightest hint of milk chocolate blending in with the honey. The pear juice is made apparent. Slight biscuit-esque note. Solid malt backbone. Definitely on the sweet side.

Taste: Honeyed malt upon the arrival. Slightly sweet and oily. Lingering finish. Fairly complex. The alcohol is masked beautifully.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, which settles down after the initial pour. Drying effect on the finish.

Ending notes: Overall, this beer was very interesting. Makes a good sipping beer. Definitely not sessionable. Very enjoyable, but I would be seeking this again anytime soon. It was better than I expected.

04-18-2011 03:33:03 | More by jboucher
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Purchased from the US to coincide with the Australian craft brewing industry's dappling in the world of Braggots. I thought it might be useful to have a comparison. Unfortunately, I was suitably unimpressed with the Braggots here.

Pours a clear and light golden colour, with a filmy head of fine white bubbles. Body is extremely heavy, almost gelatinous, in that you tilt it, and carbonation bubbles form and then give up on trying to push to the surface. Love the heaviness. Can't say I'm all that enamoured otherwise.

Nose is bland and slightly yeasty, giving a bit of bread dough character, and not a lot else. Slight hint of golden syrup, giving a little hint of sweetness, but I suspect it will be heavy, astringent booze otherwise.

Unfortunately, it's not even particularly strong or astringent, or anything on the palate. More of that faint bready yeast character, with a hint of plain sugary sweetness. Any honey character is well removed from the fermentation. Feel is light and bland.

Eh. Braggots, I feel, are not for me. This indeed ended up much like the examples I had from Australia, and although this is perhaps less astringent and offensive than the others I've had, it's still a very mild and uninteresting style.

04-16-2011 07:08:12 | More by lacqueredmouse
bierschmecktgut

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Hazy but bright golden orange with a minimal head and scattered lacing. No visible rising carbonation.

Smells sweet & syrupy - obviously the honey and malt together. Pear is faint, just like a whiff of scratched pear skin.

Sweetness packed from start to finish, no real presence of bitterness or pear. Nothing but sugar. An alcoholic aftertaste is detected shortly after the finish.

Heavy body, syrupy mouth-feel. Carbonation leaves light buzz on tongue. Definite alcohol warming in the chest and throat - halfway through bottle.

For me its not outstanding, I think the sweetness is too overpowering. I'm sure there are other, better balanced braggots that weigh evenly with Ale. Not sure if I can finish the bottle..

03-26-2011 01:12:05 | More by bierschmecktgut
Naugros

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

I expected a lighter-colored brew than this since the style is supposed to be mead and ale mixed. But today's versions are typically ales brewed with honey, making the ale/mead hybrid in the kettle rather than after the fermentation is over. Anyway, the beer is orange and almost the color of the orange that appears on the label. A thin head forms and is sustained for a few minutes, leaving behind a crown that retains its original height.

I'm having trouble figuring out if I'm smelling booze or if prickly pear gives off this smell. I'll be entirely honest here...I've never smelled or tasted prickly pear. I'm assuming I'm getting booze since I have had many meads and some of the stronger ones smell a lot like this with only any added fruits altering that smell. Wait! I lied...I've had prickly pear candy and I do sense the odd flavor in that confection in the smell. But picking it out only confirms that I get a lot of booze in this. I don't sense any hops. I'm not overly fond of the smell, but in the interest of reviewing to the style, I'm fairly confident that this is what a braggot should smell like.

Oh wow, this is different. If you're tired of tasting IPA after IPA and stout after stout and barleywine after barleywine then pick this up. The prickly pear is there and goes very well with ale and the honey. The honey is not oversweet and the malt does not take charge...it is as it should be: balanced. The malts come off as caramel and the honey adds a butterscotch tone to it. I don't taste any hops, but their presence in the smell and taste are optional in this style. The 10% ABV is evident, but not in a way that is unpleasant; it goes with the rest of this and, due to the other ingredients, shows up as Scotch. And that's the overall impression ..Scotch with prickly pear.

The mouthfeel is not cloying or syrupy as some meads can be, but still manages a thickness that would be considered almost viscous if this were a stout, but I'll go with a nice full, smooth body.

Reading some of the other reviews I wonder if the overall rating of this beer is due to the fact that most people review to their taste and not always to the style. So many people would be unfamiliar with a braggot (as am I) and may not have researched what it should be. This is spot on for the style guide regardless if you go by BeerAdvocate's guide or the BJCP guidelines.

TRY THIS!

03-14-2011 01:51:04 | More by Naugros
jdhilt

New Hampshire

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a one finger white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale yellow/amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is honey, flavor is a different braggot, honey but a different sweetness must be the prickly pear. High ABV is hidden. $8.40 for a 22oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, ME.

02-27-2011 23:26:10 | More by jdhilt
brentk56

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a wisp of a head that disappears almost immediately; a few dots of lace

Smell: Fermented honey, tropical fruit and fusel alcohol

Taste: The fermented honey and tropical fruit flavors take over from the outset, with the fusel alcohol adding a burn by mid-palate; the sweeter flavors maintain their dominance after the swallow and into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with low carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: Worth a try for the opportunity to have a braggot, but not the type of thing I would come back to very often

Thanks, Douglas88, for the opportunity

02-26-2011 23:17:37 | More by brentk56
BeerLover99

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A: semi-cloudy orange, deep yellow, trace head on top, patchy lacing.

S: BIG honey, malt, pear, slight grassy/earthiness.

T: sweet pear, barleywine quality, slight earthy/grassy, big honey, boozy, malt, big alcohol warmth (no wonder the English drank this stuff to keep the chill off, lol.)

M: Med body, average carbonation, sticky mouthfeel.

D: Very interesting. As a Historian/History teacher and lover of "The Canterbury Tales", wild to actually taste a braggot.
Don't know if I could have more than one.
Unique flavors, not for everyone. Sip this bad boy.

STRANGELY GOOD, WORTH TRYING!

02-23-2011 22:01:31 | More by BeerLover99
champ103

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Pours a clear golden color. A tiny white head forms, and recedes in a second. No lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt, fruits and spice. A citrus/orange fruity aroma that is nice.
T: Really sweet malt with some nondescript fruity flavors. Kind of citrus like. A sugary, grainy like sweetness lingers.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Fairly creamy and smooth. Not hard to drink, but I am not really into this.

Basically sweet with some nondescript fruity flavors. I thought there was suppose to be prickly pear? Nothing bad at all, though not a Braggot by any means and prickly pear is no were to be seen.

02-17-2011 03:48:24 | More by champ103
gregshead

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Reviewed on 1/30/11 from notes:

A: Golden color with little to no head.

S: Sugary tangerine (the prickly pear maybe?) dominates the smell. Some spices in the background.

T: Very sweet. Prickly pear taste stand out. Some spice again lingering in the background.

M: Good carbonation feel but the syrupyness is evident in the aftertaste.

D: While I enjoyed my pint of this, I'm glad my wife was there to drink the rest. A little too sryupy/boozy for my taste buds.

02-14-2011 01:43:11 | More by gregshead
Reagan1984

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

Well I am excited to try this as I've never had a braggot. I love honey, so I am guessing that I am pre-disposed to this style. We'll see.

Poured into my DFH snifter and couldn't really get any head to form. What little foam that formed immediately faded away. What's left of a deep colored copper/amber colored beer with excellent clarity. Just a stream or two of bubbles rise to the surface.
Not a touch of lacing in the glass. Overall a beautiful color.

Aroma is of fruit and honey. No surprise. I have no idea what prickly pear smells (or tastes like) so I won't pretend to say I smell this specific fruit. But the aroma is nice and very fruity. Definitely the aroma of honey hangs in your nostrils.

I am really enjoying this beer. The honey notes in this really appeal to me, and yet it's not overly sweet. Much like the aroma there is a wonderful combination of fruit and honey here. In fact it's very fruity. There is a nice warming note from alcohol here.

Not syrup like, but certainly a more boldly bodied beer. The warming notes are very nice. Not HOT at all.

I wasn't sure what to make of this, but I enjoy this much more than I thought. Certainly a beer to slowly enjoy over an evening. I will seek out more braggots.

Nicely done and I'm very happy I picked up this beer.

02-06-2011 22:37:41 | More by Reagan1984
scottfrie

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

22oz bottle into AVBC snifter.

A: Pours a clear apple juice color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly vanished first into a faint collar, and then into nothing. No lacing.
S: Lightly sweet notes of honey with just a hint of peppery hops and citrusy spice.
T: Clean flavors of pale crackery malt balanced by notes of golden fruits and flowers. I believe I can detect a pearish flavor near the finish mixed with a touch of sweet honey. The aftertaste has a slight alcohol warmth to it.
M: Medium body and dryish mouthfeel are a lot lighter and refreshing than I was expecting. This would have been awful it was if it was thick and syrupy. Carbonation is low on the palate but fizz in the glass.
D: My first braggot. Not bad actually. I was worried this would be sickly sweet and syrupy, but it was actually pretty clean and refreshing. Time to seek out more of the style I guess.

01-21-2011 02:40:29 | More by scottfrie
ebby82

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a honey colored hue into a pint glass. There is pretty much no head.

The aroma is honey, pear, a bit of white grape, and pretty much no hop presence.

The taste is again honey, a light presence of pear, and a bit of a wine like flavor. There is a slightly alcoholic aftertaste.

It's rather thick and alcoholic to be highly drinkable, but it's a very enjoyable beer if you like sweet, fruity drinks of any sort.

01-07-2011 20:44:24 | More by ebby82
klewis

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Golden with light chill haze. Little head and almost no lace.

S: Sweet-smelling with vanilla and honey aromas. Light fruit.

T: Quite sweet with a strong honey taste. Light herbal character but lacking in whatever fruit quality it is meant to have. Noticeable alcohol presence.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Finish is a bit cloying with extended alcoholic heat.

D: Worth a try, but I won't buy this one again.

12-31-2010 18:58:02 | More by klewis
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this in a grocery store somewhere in southern Oregon, while driving from Portland to San Francisco. I hadn't had a braggot before, so figured it would be time to start. Pours an amber-orange colour with minimal head. Smell of pear is incredibly strong, with lots of sweet honey and bread. Very sweet flavour, no bitterness at all. Carbonation level was quite high. It is hard for me to compare this to other beers, this was just completely different. I enjoyed it enough though.

12-23-2010 04:27:39 | More by kwjd
mjsheehan08

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours. Warm, hazy orange amber color. Lots of carbonation present in this pour, but minimal head. Zero lacing around the glass of my oversized wine glass.

Smells sweet, malty notes, with the presence of some light fruit and light wheat.

Taste is light, but packs a punch though. Wheaty malts mixed with a light hop taste. There is an overwhelming taste of honey and fruit, but it is balanced and works well together. No real feel of booze in the beginning or middle, but a little warmth in the end. Mouthfeel was slick and buddly, and I could probably drink another whole bottle of this at 10%

12-20-2010 00:21:17 | More by mjsheehan08
ColForbinBC

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter

March 11, 2010 stamped on the side; fully expecting this to be a little stale considering the age. My first Braggot.

Pours a near perfect amber color with a thin, fizzy paper white cap that rises and falls rather quickly. No retention, no lace whatsoever. Absolutely crystal clear.

The aroma is of sweet pear infused whiskey, oak and honey. Extremely sweet with just a touch of ethanol.

I feel like the flavor profile has suffered from the age more than anything else. Honey, oak and pear juice in near perfect balance. Hops appear only as an afterthought in a herbal/medicinal form. Overall, this is extremely sweet and there is no carbonation whatsoever, given the age.

Smooth with a little bit of heat. Light to medium body. I found this to be a slow drinker due to how sweet it was. I would have loved to try this fresh.

12-19-2010 01:44:06 | More by ColForbinBC
SolomonGrundy

3.6/5  rDev 0%

Seemed intersting enough after a day of chapperoning children around...why are they busier than we are? Pours a clear honey color, very cool. Pours without any head forming. Maybe a hint of a wisp of a faint piece of foam. Medium carbonation. No lacing. Poured kinda thick and syrupy, and the 9% ABV tells me it oughta be sweet. Whoa, very cool aromas. I get some peppery notes from the prickly pear. Very nice and unique but not overpowering or "off". Actually, there is a sweet vanilla and/or honey note at first and this melds into the peppery notes. Really cool, I like it a lot. Flavor is a wicked array of flavors, but they seem to work. Alcohol is very noticeable, all through the taste. That's a bummer. The prickly pear flavor is very upfront and is really kinda cool. The honey sweetness is around there, but mostly it hides behind Mr. Prickly...Now I'm noticing another aroma and flavor - kind of rubbing alcohol-ish. Not cool, and I think that's throwing this one off for me. I like the honey addition, too...It adds a sweetness that balances it out a little. Not enough, but some. There is nary a hop flower in sight on this one, so beware all hopheads. I find myself really intrigued and liking this one-of-a-kind brew, even with it's flaws. At $6.99/bomber it's not cheap but it won't break ya none, neither. I'd say you have to try this unique ale at least once.

What I like most: The bizarre Prickly Pear notes in the aroma and flavor profiles.

What I like least: The astringent, isopropyl-like notes in the aroma and flavor profiles.

Verdict: Good in its uniqueness, but certainly not for everyone. Fun to try.

12-12-2010 03:57:27 | More by SolomonGrundy
robhunta

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

A - A pretty light colored beer, orange hue, not too sure what to expect for the style (good preface for the whole review).

S - Sweet and fruity, with a bit of an alcohol smell.

T - First taste very sweet, kind of similar to a lighter version of a barley wine, nice fruit flavors, later comes some nice alcohol flavors.

M - Very light, actually feels a lot like a light beer.

D - very drinkable based on the light beer mouthfeel, but alcohol flavor and fruitiness add some very nice complexity.

This is a different style of beer, one that Im not Quite used to and it has a lot of different aspects, but overall I find it very nice and surprisingly complex.

12-08-2010 23:24:27 | More by robhunta
Prickly Pear Braggot (Brothers' Reserve Series) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company