Barrel Aged Brrrbon (Brothers' Reserve Series) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Barrel Aged Brrrbon (Brothers' Reserve Series)Barrel Aged Brrrbon (Brothers' Reserve Series)

good

Bitterness: 40 IBU
Alcohol by Volume: 9.4% ABV
Original Gravity: 20° PLATO

Released: September 2010
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barrel Aged Brrrbon (Brothers' Reserve Series) Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

$11.99 for 22oz bottle.

A: nice copper color with good head that dissipated to a thin film
S: mild nose, some roasted malt with bourbon barrel very evident
T: this beer has more bourbon taste than anything else, it's not bad and I really like bourbon but the body of the beer could have a lot more depth, sweeter finish, not a ton of depth in malt
M: good enough but lacked character
D: drinkable, nothing offensive or off-flavored, just lacks character

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

22oz bottle purchased somewhere localish.

Poured into a DFH snifter, formed a 1/2" beige head over the clear copper brew. Head quickly recedes to the rim, with slow-falling lace. Aroma is vanilla and alcohol, as expected.

Taste is syrupy sweet to start, a peek of fruit/tart in the middle, and then vanilla, alcohol, and a lingering coconut close. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is easy, especially for the abv. Nice brew, even though I'm not the biggest coconut flavor fan.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Got a free 3oz sample of this at my local beer store during a tasting.

A - For a bourbon barrel beer it poured a rather light copper color. A very little head and moderate lacing.

S - Nothing really stood out maybe slight bourbon, caramel, and sweet malts.

T - Wow that's the smoothest bourbon beer I ever had so I was impressed! Not outstanding but mild bourbon, caramel and a pretty sweet yet boozy finish made this a good taster beer!

M - The bourbon made the mouth feel heavy for sure but it went down pretty well.

D - Great to try not to buy it was great to have a bourbon aged beer not a whiskey bomb but clocking in at 16.99 I didn't even dare to consider buying a bottle, but you pay for the process so its high for a reason. Would be better if the price was a solid 10 then I would have got it for sure.

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Bottle at the December Santa Cruz tasting. Pours dark brown with a khaki head. Strong bourbony aroma with a watery caramel bourbon flavor. Very thin and quite the letdown after the adequate aroma. Candied, sweet, boozy, thin, with a short finish. Not impressed.

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured a dark, burnt orange that is kind of tough to see through. Minimal head and some pretty decent lacing.

Smells like straight bourbon. Some earthy wood notes appear in the nose, which overpower some mild floral citrusy smells.

Taste follows alot of the nose. The primary flavors in this brew are heavy bourbon. Like, alot of bourbon. I only have one bottle of it and I wish I had left it sit for another year. There is some sweetness in finish which feels like caramel. Little to no hop bitterness presences, but there is some mild floral and citrusy presense.

Little to no carbonation in the feel, and I honestly am having trouble finishing this bottle.

4.74/5  rDev +31.7%

As the bartender slid the snifter glass across the bar I was to say the least a little excited. Held up against the light, a very nice briliant amber and small creamy head. So far so good. But then to the nose and I was taken aback. The smooth bourbon and oak notes are intoxicating. Then to the taste and my mind swirled. So balanced, so smooth, so easy to drink. Every sip was wonderful and it wasnt until I got outside into the fresh air did I feel the alcohal. Best beer I have tried in along time. I bought a bomber to cellar, but I dont know if that plan will work out as every time I see the bottle on the shelf I want to crack it and experiance that again.

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours an off-white, one-finger head that fades quickly leaving traces of lace. Nice crystal clear amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Bourbon nose, flavor is bourbon, vanilla and hints of sweet caramel, higher ABV is hidden. Expensive at $13.00 for a 22oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

2.43/5  rDev -32.5%

The name on this one does not really give me high hopes, but let's give it a go.

A - Brownish yellow color with a finger of off-white head. Little bit of red on the edges, quick dissipation with nothing left on the sides. A little ugly, but probably fine by winter warmer standards.

B - Kind of a hodgepodge of spices, some hops, big malts, and vanilla all mixed together and then dumped into a bourbon barrel. Pretty harsh bourbon on the nose (or perhaps I should say brrbon).

T - Vanilla, bourbon, some bittering hops, and surprisingly muted winter spices, although this is mostly because the much too harsh bourbon is beating everything else in this beer senseless. Not a winter warmer fan, and this one is not changing my mind, doesn't taste very good.

M - Almost full bodied, healthy carbonation. The carbonation only adds to the harshness that is this beer.

D - This beer was pretty bad, hard to drink, and I would not drink it again.

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Bud Light pint glass. Call it an act of charity.

A - pours clear amber with brilliant orange highlights and a faint white head.

S - pretty faint aroma here. Little bits of malty toffee sweetness, vanilla, and light citrus hops.

T - The bourbon flavor is flatter than I expected. That is, I hoped to be able to taste more of the toffee, vanilla, woody flavor of bourbon but instead it's just sort of vaguely bourbony with a warm alcohol finish preceded by a chewy malt frontend.

M - Slightly oily with just under a medium body and mild carbonation.

4.17/5  rDev +15.8%

22oz bomber into a tulip glass pours a crisp copper with a thin diminishing head. Aroma is a nice amount of Bourbon in front of caramel malts and mild spice. The taste is a nice smooth blend of caramel malts, Bourbon, oak, vanilla and cinnamon. The beer is medium bodied with mild alcohol, but it's still quite smooth. This is a very enjoyable Bourbon aged beer, I plan on aging the bottle I have at home.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

Poured a deep brownish amber with a faint red tinge into a tulip with a finger of quick-receding light khaki head. Aroma of mild caramel roast, faint vanilla, and just a hint of bourbon.

Moderate carbonation and a mouthfeel that starts a little thin but builds in creaminess. Mild bourbon and vanilla up front with a touch of oaky caramel malt and some gentle hop spice on the slightly bitter finish.

The bourbon flavor was a little subtler than expected with almost no alcohol burn. This drank quite easily and was pleasant enough, but it didn't really attain memorable "big bourbon beer" status.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

I drank this one on tap at the Ojai Beverage Company. Says Bourbon, smells bourbon, but not so much taste of bourbon as in other bourbon barreled beers.

Looks good, nice amber color,

Smell promises a bourbon taste

Taste wasn't as bourbon-like as I had hoped.

Good mouthfeel and nice carbonated.

I liked but couldn't buy that one yet, maybe with time it will improve, but a tap is supposed to be the top taste right?

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer pours a hazy brown color with two fingers of foamy off white head. The smell is strong with hops and a hint of bourbon from the barrels the beer is aged in. The taste starts with some malty sweetness and then hits you with hoppy bitterness. The taste finishes with that hint of bourbon, but is not very overpowering like some other bourbon barrel aged beers. The high alcohol content is obvious within the taste which is the only big detractor. The mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth, although you are left with some bitter aftertaste.

I split this one with the brother-in-law on New Years Eve. Poured into a modified imperial, the beer is dark brown with garnet highlights. I was presently surprised by the head & lacing.

The beer has a nose of vanilla, roasted malts and a whiff of bourbon.

The taste has molasses, brown sugar, some vanilla, some woody notes, dark fruit and in the background some bourbon notes. The bourbon was dialed down a little to much, but the base beer was pretty tasty.

The mouth is slightly thick and a bit oily. The mid-level carbonation works with this beer.

I thought it went down pretty easy and both of us like it. I wish I would have bought a few more and the price is right at $12.95.

2.74/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

22oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours a pale amber, with a finger or so of off-white head. It recedes to a slim ring around the glass, with little lacing.

S - Bourbon and vanilla, a bit of spice, and more hops than I had expected. The bourbon gets very strong as it warms. It's fairly bitter, but not in a bad way.

T - Vanilla extract, bourbon, some oak, and a touch of hoppy bitterness. Some moments I enjoy it, and other moments the flavor seems thin and bitter. I like the individual components but they're not meshing in a pleasant way.

M - Decent carbonation, reasonably full mouthfeel. Nice and creamy but thinner than I'd like.

D - The abv is par for the course, and it definitely warms, but the flavors aren't doing it for me. One and done.

O - For the price, there are many, many beers that are better than this one.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a slightly hazy surprisingly light rosy golden amber color with a shallow wispy fizzy white head that's gone in a flash leaving little Belgian lacing at all. Microscopic effervescence is unable to sustain a collar, but suggests a reasonable carbonation will follow. The nose is REALLY timid until it warms up..then it's all about the vanilla creme brulee. The taste is BIG on the sweet vanilla character of the Bourbon treatment..a little caramel creme brulee thing going on. The mouth feel is tangy and creamy all at once and it compliments the flavor nicely...it has a sturdy medium weight to the body. It finishes on the dry side with a meager lingering aftertaste. Quite the reasonable drinker for one up at 9.4%. I would definitely pick this one up again if it was on the shelves...but I'm a sucker for Bourbon treatments.

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark orange colour with small white head. Lack of lacing on the glass, poor head retention. Smells like oranges, bourbon and vanilla. Flavour is quite boozy. Not very carbonated. My review may make it sound more negative than I thought about the beer, I did enjoy this one enough. One of the better Widmer beers I've had.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Although I initially balked at buying this one due to the perceived price/quality ratio, I relented the other day because I had a gift card I received for Christmas, and the curiosity was killing me. That said, I enjoyed the beer, but was hardly blown away. Poured a hazy dark orange color with a finger of dense yellowish head. Aromas of bourbon, light floral hops and a hint of caramel. Medium bodied, with flavors of bourbon, oak and caramel. An enjoyable beer to be certain, but not worth the $12 asking price.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Clear amber with a wispy white head.

Smell - Whiskey, alcohol, molasses, and some flowery hops.

Taste - Lots of sweetness and alcohol, plus a fair amount of oak. The bourbon really comes through as well.

Mouthfeel - Medium body and low carbonation.

Notes - It may have been unfair of me to review this beer since I'm not a fan of bourbon (I prefer Irish whiskey). It's a bit impressive how much bourbon character they managed to impart; I was expecting it to be more subtle. I remember Brrr as being pretty hoppy so I was expecting more hop presence, but I guess the aging process killed it. I would recommend this beer to a bourbon lover, but others should probably pass.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

I apologize up front for the low scores I gave this beer. It is delicious and I would drink it in a house, with a mouse, in a box and with a fox. I am a bit judgmental tonight and this may negatively affect the scores I give.

Thin white head disappeared quickly. The color is very much like a nice bourbon, carmel in color.

The smell it very oaky. Very sweet.

The taste is similar. I feel like it is a three ring circus of flavor.It starts like bourbon, a little sweet and warm.. Then the hops come in a little. It finishes as this nice bourbon/beer marriage with the oakiness and maltiness together with a nice slight hop background.
A really nice beer. Perfect to have after shoveling snow(like I just did). It warmed me right up.
Thank you widmer.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottled on 30th August 2010. Enjoyed on 24th December 2010. (Way to go for including the bottling date, Widmer!) Poured into a goblet and a tulip glass. Allowed to warm a bit before drinking.

A // Looks... like bourbon. Except cloudier, a little darker, and maybe a tad more red. This might be reasoning by association. Head is thick and white, but does not retain well. Lacing is also pretty good. Cloudy, but definitely appealing.

S // Smells .. like bourbon. A lot of those oak and whiskey notes just jumping out at me. I can smell the malt down there somewhere, and I'm getting some spiciness. Hey, I do like bourbon.

T // Ok, so the oak is very present on the tongue. And the whiskey, of course. The sweetness of the hops really stays there. The alcohol is a bit hot. It's also fairly warming, and the bitterness is ok. Taste closes with... yep, bourbon.

M // Heavy-ish. Not more than you'd expect from a beer of this character though, and I found it fairly nice, with some carbonated sharpness.

D // Well, it is bourbon aged and around the 10%abv level, so... no, not the easiest drinker in the world. But, grading to the style, it's probably very close to average, and there's no 2.75 here.

This lost a few points because anyone can just put beer in bourbon barrels, provided they have the funds to do so, and the rest of the beer's character isn't showing through much. Don't get me wrong, I can't say I disliked drinking this with a friend at all.

2.87/5  rDev -20.3%

pours out of the 22 ounce bomber a clear but darker shade of mahogany. a very thin head and sparse lace. bourbon nose...very light with a malty sweetness accentuated by some noticeable citric hopping. taste is a boozy snooze fest of high ABV amber ale like qualities with corn whiskey nuances and wooden notes. not sure if the booze flavours are from the barrel aging or the 9.4% ABV. some bitterness leads to an off putting aftertaste. light bodied for an ale of this sort. uneven mouthfeel. uninspired finish. something isn't working here. drinkability is only acceptable for the fact it's winter and this high ABV barrel aged ale has some definite warming qualities to it.

wow...how disappointed am i?? this is not a good beer and for the price i am doubly disappointed. not recommended.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Served in a tulip glass

A: Pours a beautiful amber color with a thin head that dissipates quickly, leaves a slight amount of lacing

S: Strong alcohol scent, deep whiskey notes dominate the scent, very slight underlying sweetness

T: Great tasting brew with very nice whiskey notes that are not offputting at all

D/M: Slight carbonation tingle, warms the pallet and the body as it is sipped sue to the whiskey notes, smooth on the pallet, drinks quite easily

Went over to a friends last night and he had a surprise for me. It was poured into standard pint glasses. The pour was copper with a medium white head, light lacing. The aroma is sweet, vanilla and bourbon. The beer was sweet, some honey. The main theme was light bourbon, very warming but not overwhelming. The beer was medium in body and had a sticky mouthfeel. The beer was dangerously drinkable. A good beer, but overpriced.

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%

A: copper in color, free of haze, little head formation or retention.

S: almost no bouquet to speak of. A couple wisps of honey are barely detectable.

T: malty sweet with a touch of hoppy bite. Caramel, vanilla, and honey are the main players of this brew.

M: full body, slightly sticky, and low carbonation.

D: nothing too impressive, but interesting nonetheless. give it a try if you feel like paying a premium price for a mediocre brew.

Barrel Aged Brrrbon (Brothers' Reserve Series) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company