Nelson Imperial IPA - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Oregon, United States

Original Gravity : 21 Plato
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Carapils, Caramel 10-L
Hops: Alchemy, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade, Willamette

(Beer added by: olmatty on 04-06-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Nelson Imperial IPA Alström Bros

GarrettB714, Nov 26, 2011

bondebonde, Dec 04, 2011

aanakinskywalker, Nov 26, 2011

SortaAmbivalent, Dec 05, 2011
4.84/5  rDev +22.5%

bloodysundae, Aug 25, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

All in all one of my favorite imperial IPAs recently. This beer is not too much on the malt side or on the hop. The Nelson Sauvin hops are a new favorite of mine and I will always buy anything mentioning this fine hop breed on the label. Impressed me significantly more than the Pitch Black IPA, which was by no means less than satisfactory. Keep it up Widmer Bros et al. Awesome option for the hophead desiring higher abv.

BhamBeerLover, Oct 20, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +21%

More bottles from my latest Philly run. I am feeling adventurous today and may try to eradicate the bottle backlog that has been an albatross since school started back.

From the bottle: "Series 924"; "'Prost! Or if you prefer, Haka.'"; "Hopped to Perfection".

Before I begin to describe the head coming off of the pour, let me tell you about the nose. It was astounding! I have been a self-avowed hophead for some time, but this acted like air freshener in the room. It was pungently floral and my mouth was watering in anticipation as a result. The two dense, rocky fingers of eggnog-colored head sat there and defied me to disturb them. No problem! I was quite content to sit there and let the aroma fill my sinus cavity. Notes of orange zest, lemon peel, fresh mown grass and caramel malt satiated me nicely. Color was a golden-amber, the color some people tan to or like a chicken's skin when you know that it is ready to come off of the rotisserie, along with NE-quality clarity. As the head slowly fell, sticky lacing remained in its wake. My first sip and I heard the singing of angels as the hops went to work on my tongue, scrubbing away dead and unused taste buds to enhance my enjoyment. Mouthfeel was medium and the citrus fruit flavors were just wonderful. This simply reaffirmed my decision to be a hophead. It was not too bitter, nor too malty, either. This was Goldilocks beer - just right. Finish was dry, but not gaspingly dry, allowing me to savor the taste that much longer.

S**t, I forgot! I am no longer a hophead but a hops junkie and I haven't fixed for a while! Now, the singing has changed to the screeching of a monkey on my back. I gotta go score, man.

woodychandler, Dec 16, 2012
4.76/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance: Pours an awesome golden orange color…lots of bubbles dancing on the inside…head is just off white, about a finger width thick and somewhat lasting…(4.25/5)

Smell: Mmmm…citrus hop boom to the nose…very rich and lively aroma…it’s more hoppy than citrus which I like…smells of fresh hops bursting out of the glass making my mouth water…(5/5)

Taste: Complex flavor here…citrus and piney hops all over, but this one is deep and very tasty…sweet malts are evident, certainly not lost on the tongue…cascade hops definitely in there…a fruity sweet after taste lingers…though it’s an imperial, the alcohol isn’t a major factor in the flavor and is only noticeable by the growing grin on my face…very tasty, excellent finish…(5/5)

Mouthfeel: A watery full bodied beer (if that makes sense)…carbonation is medium with a little bite to it...citrus and malt all over the palette…fresh, crisp and lingering…not overly bitter anywhere…(4/5)

Overall: Fantastic beer…love the hops but appreciate the discreet nature of the ABV…flavor all over the place here with enough hops for the heads but plenty of malt balance for the beer snob…it’s citrusy without being lemony or overly zesty in any way, which for me adds to it’s drinkability…I will definitely get this one again and set it aside for a later date…highly recommended for sipping on during MNF or really anytime…(4.5/5)

SerialHiker, Jan 15, 2013

mrkinnex, Nov 03, 2012

NOLANDMAN, Aug 20, 2012

Chimpadink, Oct 26, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

This is a flat-out kick-ass DIPA that is rated much too low from what I see.

A-Oak colored...minimal head

S-Awesome DIPA aroma of sweet tropical fruits, apricots, peaches and a sweeter malt backing..

T-first and foremost I get apricots and peaches but the tropical fruits are there in smaller abundance....also some overripe mandarin orange....really an awesome fruit flavor and just the right malt backing to make it work.

M-Medium to full bodied...not huge but not small.

O-Not a ton of bitterness to this if that is what you want but this is an outstanding DIPA I will buy more of if I see it. Got it on my North Dakota excursion so I hope I find it again.

ZAP, Oct 06, 2011

Conniehophead, Jan 02, 2013

FuselGuy, Aug 20, 2012

neil2me, Jan 03, 2013

oscarthebrody, Oct 16, 2012

OCdrummer7271, Dec 07, 2012

BeerMeBrah, Jul 03, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

Best beer I've EVER tasted.

Just did a 6oz tasting with a pull from a log I just put on @ HOOPS-N-HOPS. !@#$% so sweet.

Lemme just get this outta the way...it's been about 45 minutres since I drank it, and I'm a bit light headed from it...!
Powerful stuff, here.

Sticky stringy white foam, the smell of grapefruits and warm pineapples, which smell much different from the cold ones.

The taste was so different from what I'd imagined.
Buttery.
Smooth.
Velvety.
Nat King Cole on a beach in the early Summer wearing sandals and a linen shirt next to a girl who is not as beautiful as she is amazing when the sun goes down and the star to your left drops a few feet in the sky to remind you that magic is not a dream, but what you wish it to be...

Betcha wanna try some now!

(Sure, it's expensive, but, I only needed one to get lyrical.)

joesmithrealname, Sep 07, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours hazy orange color with a foamy off white head that faded very slowly and was full of bubbles, leaving excellent lacing clinging to the sides; a foamy layer stayed on top and kept this looking very inviting.

Smells of huge hops up front, with citrus hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, mango, floral hops, flowers, sweet malt, caramel, herbs, piney hops, light grains, spices like pepper and coriander, and mild alcohol; very hoppy, sweet and fruity, this smells like fresh hops were floating in the beer - just delicious.

Tastes like it smells, with citrus hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, mango, guava, floral hops, flowers, sweet malt, caramel, pear, herbs, piney hops, brown sugar, light grains, spices like pepper, cinnamon and coriander, mild alcohol like a pina colada; damn this is hoppy and tasty, with a nice citrus pith, mild grains and enough malts to add balance but let the fruity hop sweetness dominate. This reminds me of Cigar City Jai Alai IPA or Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA, and that is a major compliment. Very tasty and easy to drink with a slight bitterness that lets you know that this is a DIPA.

Mouthfeel is creamy and oily slick, with a medium body, a chewy feel, and a thick overall feel that is slightly bitter with a fruity finish that’s all about the hops.

A great beer that was refreshing and easy to drink for a DIPA, one which I consider highly drinkable and I shall seek out again. Brought a growler of this to a party to share and drank most of it myself – it was that damn good.

CHickman, Feb 05, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +16.5%

A- A nice looking orange copper color with a big, sticky white head.

S- Seductive aroma of malt, grapefruit, mango, and Fir needles.

T- Huge, rich, sweet, delicious caramel and cake batter MALT paints the palate, with an interesting mid-palate of saltiness. The finish is of balanced, restrained tropical fruit hops with very restrained bitterness.

M, D- The body verges on heavy -- certainly for the type. The mouthfeel is pure pleasure. The drinkability excellent.

I absolutely applaud and welcome this maltier style! Having the hops as a complement in perfect balance is such a welcome change from overblown hops.

WhiteOak, Dec 08, 2011