Citra Blonde Summer Brew - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: MADhombrewer on 05-02-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Citra Blonde Summer Brew Alström Bros

A good summer beer. Tropical, tangerine fruity aroma and flavor, with light malt: Sweet, bready. The aroma is really nice. Sweet orange malt and moderately bitter pine/grapefruit peel flavor. A very nice beer. A beer I would love to have again. Recommend this highly.

4.93/5  rDev +36.6%

I've kinda stayed away from Widmer Bros beers cuz I'm not real big on their Hefeweizen. But recently I checked out their Pale Ale which I like and then this Citra Blonde beer which I REALLY like!
In the category of refreshing type beers, to my taste this one is way above the rest. The gravity of this beer is just right and makes it perfect for warm summer days. It has just the right amount of sweetness and the Citra Hops give it the magic touch that sets it apart from the others. They really do give it a smell like grapefruit and provide an exceptional hop flavor without any trace of sharp bitterness. I have a feeling we're going to start seeing this hop show up in a lot of beers similar to how Cascade hops took over when they were first discovered by the microbrew crowd..
I like to vary my beer choices and buy a different selection on my way home each Friday followed by a 2nd and maybe 3rd over the weekend. I live in Seattle so I have a lot of choices and I try them all. After discovering Citra Summer Blonde I've now brought it home on three of the last four Fridays.
I find Widmer Brothers Citra Blonde Summer Brew--that's a lot of names!--to be very refreshing and highly flavorful. It's darn near a perfect beer!

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

Citrusy, very easy to drink, what a summer brew should be!

4.6/5  rDev +27.4%

4.48/5  rDev +24.1%

This is one of my favorite summer beers this year....I see it as kind of a Kolsch hopped with Citra....the Citra hops really shine through with all their citrus goodness but the body and malt give this a crisp, Kolsch like feel. Lower weight and lower ABV but loaded with flavor....that makes this a top notch refreshing summertime drinker. Now I need to find it in bottles...

4.45/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

This beer pours a nice clear golden color with a finger or so of bone-white head. Retention is alright due to the ample carbonation. The aroma on this is fantastic, I get a nice dose of bright citrus hops over a Kolsch-esque base of bready malts. The taste is very good, with the bright citrus and tropical fruit flavors of Citra hops being front and center. There's a bit of bready malts and a crisp, watery aftertaste with a bit of malts and a touch of pine creeping its way in. This is basically the perfect hot weather beer I've been looking for. I want to drink this all day. The mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the drinkability is very good.

Overall? I love this beer. It's HOT out in Florida. This is one of the best ways to beat the heat I've found so far, it's very refreshing while still having a satisfying flavor. I'm depressed that I only bought the single bottle, and am going first thing to the beer store tomorrow after work to pick up a couple more sixers. Bravo, Widmer.

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured into a tulip glass
Bottle date: May 21, 2014
Pour date: August 18, 2014

APPEARANCE: haystack yellow with a mild haziness. Poured a nice 1" white lacy head, which quickly reduced to a lamina of froth, leaving pleasant lacing on the walls of the glass.

SMELL: Not much to it. Reminds me of lemongrass and mildew.
side note: I didn't even read its ABV until after the review. even more impressed with its flavour.
TASTE: This beer shouts eucalyptus! The combination of the citrusy hops and the dankness of the yeast makes this beer taste like West Coast arboretum. Aftertaste rests on the back of the tongue and feels a bit sour - almost like eating plain Greek yogurt.

FEEL: bubbly and light-bodied.

BURP: bountiful and pleasant, not foamy.

OVERALL: I will return to this beer.I was caught off-guard by its balance and flavour.

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

Golden yellow, fluffy white head. Citrus hops on the nose. Great malt and citrus hop flavor, doesn't lay on the tongue. I've tried a dozen or so summer seasonal beers this year and this was my favorite. Very drinkable. I like that the hops are for flavor, not for bittering to any great degree, as I've tried the citra IPA from Widmer and it's pretty harsh, even for an IPA. If you ever wanted to know why they named this hop citra, try this beer, you'll read the bottle wondering if they added orange/lime/lemon, nope.

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

Had this on-tap in the beer garden at the Iowa City Jazz Festival. Poured into a translucent plastic cup.

Appearance: a little hard to say, because of the plastic cup. A nice white frothy head.

Smell: Big hit of citrus and tropical fruit, esp. mango, with a light sweet malt aroma.

Taste: Juicy, fruity citrus, with a nice balanced bitterness of grapefruit rind, which made a wonderfully tart finish. Malts were crisp and cracker-y.

Mouthfeel: Bright, clean, super refreshing.

Overall: It was really hot at the festival, and this just blew me away with it's refreshing, juicy, thirst-quenching flavor. I would session this beer all summer long. I hope it makes its way to the Great Plains before next summer.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Even with a vigorous pour, produces little head. Very nice deep golden color. Very minimal lace.

S: Sweet tropical fruits with a nice "C" hop spice. Banana, cherimoya, pineapple.

T: Mmmmm... Full body in the malt profile. Good tropical flavors persist. Light pina colada, orange and banana candy. Hop bitter is understated and hits at exactly the right point in the taste profile. Maybe not overly flavorful but very good.

M: Very viscous and well carbonated. Oily and has a salinity I rarely find in commercial brews.

D: Widmer does it right with this summer offering.

4.29/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: slightly cloudy, gold color with white head

Smell: delicious, smells like citrusy but not in an overpowering way. If this beer tastes as good as it smells, it will be fantastic.

Taste: citrus with a hoppy bitterness. Very unique.

Mouthfeel: more carbonated than I would prefer not still makes for easy drinkability

Overall: this is a fantastic beer. It is the quintessential summer beer. It is citrusy and refreshing without being too sweet. This is a very well balanced beer. I can't think of a better beer to enjoy on a warm summer evening.

Citra Blonde Summer Brew from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company