2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Citra Blonde Summer Brew - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Citra Blonde Summer BrewCitra Blonde Summer Brew

good

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Blonde Ale |  4.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: MADhombrewer on 05-02-2011)
View: Beers (70) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Citra Blonde Summer Brew Alström Bros
Ratings: 364 | Reviews: 117 | Show All Ratings:
stercomm

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Light straw/honey in color, very clear, slight white head, recedes quickly leaving a slight layer, nice lacing.

S - Getting lots of hops, orange and tangerine, almost a sweaty gym locker scent.

T - Lots of orange and tangerine, nicely balanced get bitterness on the front with a slight malty backbone, very dry finish.

M - Medium bodied, slight carbonation.

O - Given it was an 80+F degree day a nice summer brew. Refreshing but with some bite to it.

05-06-2012 20:16:31 | More by stercomm
Genuine

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Enjoyed this one from the mixed 12 pack.

Poured from the bottle into a clean pint glass. Poured a very nice cloudy straw color, with a nice white 2 finger head.

Smell - Lots of citrus hops and crispness is immediately detected.

Taste - Light and crisp, yet full of flavor. I really like this summer brew. The flavor of the hops is very refreshing and light, I could have a lot of these with no problem.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium at best.

Overall - Very nice beer from Widmer. I bet it would be even better on tap. Great for those hot summer days.

08-10-2011 17:42:47 | More by Genuine
N3rdM3t4l

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev -10%

12oz bottle into standard pint. Served at 50F Freshness date on bottle.

A: Aggressive pour nets a huge white head. As the head calms down it becomes a frothy tight pillow that is leaving a considerable lacing. Pretty blonde color and very clear.

S: Citrusy hints of orange and sweet lemon with a bit of pink grapefruit. A swirl releases a bit more earth from the hops and when blended with the sweet citrus and malt it smells like summer should.

T: a lot like the nose after the swirl. Slightly earthy hops and sweet citrus. The malt I think adds the hint of sweet up front. Tastes good but not as good as it smells.

M: Good body, light enough to drink during the heat and heavy enough feel like an ale.

O: Good beer, I do not regret the 6pack I picked up at all. Might even recommend this as the summer seasonal we pick up at the little cafe I work at.

05-16-2012 21:35:59 | More by N3rdM3t4l
Aaron_Ramson

4.21/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours with a foamy white head that leaves a great web of lacing on the glass; aroma is pungent, skunky hop goodness. Not sure if I get citrus from citra; the scent seems more musk to me; I can see why people say "cat-pee", but it's a smell that is appealing with the hop connotation. The citrus comes in the flavor; tangerine rind, grapefruit pith. The malt backbone seems weak and small, a little water cracker and some white rice. Mouthfeel not quite light lager but still very thin. Carbonation has strong bite, also comparable to light lager levels. An interesting and sessionable beer at only 4.4%, very much a great summer brew.

08-28-2013 21:56:19 | More by Aaron_Ramson
Crossmd

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured 43 degrees Fahrenheit into a tulip glass. Born date: April 26th, 2011.

Pours a hazy light orange with an active and rapidly dissipating two finger white head. no lacing to speak of.

Smell is an excellently projected, and wonderfully layered and clean tangerine, apricot, pear and lemon.

Flavor is relatively reflected and maintained, with slightly less complexity than I was expecting. Finish consists of some light citrus hops that add bitters, but are safe, and nowhere close to being offensive.

Mouthfeel is pretty intensely disappointing. Lack of carbonation and weakness of weight really detracts from the taste IMO. Good balance of dryness and oil, but lifeless, and contradicting.

Sessionable, but at the end of the day, really sort of a letdown. The mouthfeel gives a decent nose and flavor an extraordinarily anemic quality that makes it a lot less fun. It's my wish that they had gone for cohesion instead of a drinkability that results in confliction.

77.

09-26-2011 15:22:46 | More by Crossmd
kpoole25

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Golden yellow, fluffy white head. Citrus hops on the nose. Great malt and citrus hop flavor, doesn't lay on the tongue. I've tried a dozen or so summer seasonal beers this year and this was my favorite. Very drinkable. I like that the hops are for flavor, not for bittering to any great degree, as I've tried the citra IPA from Widmer and it's pretty harsh, even for an IPA. If you ever wanted to know why they named this hop citra, try this beer, you'll read the bottle wondering if they added orange/lime/lemon, nope.

07-02-2011 21:12:53 | More by kpoole25
RussBecker1

2.4/5  rDev -33.1%

Served in a Pint Glass

A-Fizzy pale pour with virtually no character. Decent one to two finger foamy head that sits for a decent amount of time before dissipating.

S- The lone highlight of the beer for me. The citra hops are abound, and give off a strong distinct smell. After the hops pass however, there is not much left leaving one to assume that the taste will coincide.

M- Nothing special. It's pretty empty, not enough carbonation to be crisp, but not enough character to make an impression otherwise.

T-As expected the citra hops are apparent, but the rest of the beer is rather watery and mundane.

O-Fine to have once but I doubt I will seek this out again.

09-05-2012 13:42:47 | More by RussBecker1
Jinholic

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance - Bright yellow body with only half a finger of off-white head that died in less than 30 seconds.

Smell - I could smell this as I poured it, while I hate to use this as over used as it is, this smells just like summer. Citrus hops and even more fruitiness roll in.

Taste - Pretty spot on with the nose wet citrus maybe a hint of lemon. A tad grainy but not off putting in anyway, overall a bit mild.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, crisp and very refreshing. Light bodied little carbonation. So easy to session this one at 4.3%. I'd pick this over any lager for a nice summer day outside.

Overall - A nice change from the dozens of other summer brews that all taste like watered down beer with lemons mashed in. I would pick this up more often if it was an all year beer. That said go grab one and see for yourself.

08-14-2011 05:59:31 | More by Jinholic
echoes

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Served in a glass.

A: White bubbly head dissipates slowly leaving a moderate amount of lacing. Light to medium carbonation present. Color is light gold.

S: Surprisingly can't really make out the malts. Smell consists almost entirely of fruit (but not limited to citrus). Slight floral/grass scent as well. Smell is also kind of sweet. Overall the smell is quite surprisingly pleasant/good.

T: Light malts. Not much bitterness. Citrus. Light-but-satisfying crisp and sweet taste. Not a ton of taste but it does taste pretty good as everything is smooth and blends together well.

M: Medium-bodied. Slightly syrupy. A bit of carbonation.

O: Pretty nice for a clean summer beer. Would make for a good spring beer too IMO. For a beer on lighter side, this is pretty darn good. Give it a try, it might surprise you.

05-25-2011 04:35:18 | More by echoes
Rampage1

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearence: This has a nice clear,golden color to it with a nice white quarter inch head to it.

Smell: Although not a real strong hop smell there are some light, fruity qualities to this beer. A little orange and citrus in the smell. Wish it had a higher does of Citra hops in it. My favorite hop!

Taste: This is one hell of a session beer. Great little hop bite and really well balanced. Nice fruity flavor to it that is damn good. Not much malt but not really bitter at all either. Great balance.

Mouthfeel: Nice amount of carbonation and delivers a true session beer.

Overall: I have never had a really good Widmer beer and this I have to say is one I will buy again! This is a great summer beer. Besides Abita Strawberry I really like this one as well to have quite a few and really not be heavy on the palate. These will go down real easy in the Arizona Heat.

05-29-2011 22:26:42 | More by Rampage1
Nixon

4.93/5  rDev +37.3%

I've kinda stayed away from Widmer Bros beers cuz I'm not real big on their Hefeweizen. But recently I checked out their Pale Ale which I like and then this Citra Blonde beer which I REALLY like!
In the category of refreshing type beers, to my taste this one is way above the rest. The gravity of this beer is just right and makes it perfect for warm summer days. It has just the right amount of sweetness and the Citra Hops give it the magic touch that sets it apart from the others. They really do give it a smell like grapefruit and provide an exceptional hop flavor without any trace of sharp bitterness. I have a feeling we're going to start seeing this hop show up in a lot of beers similar to how Cascade hops took over when they were first discovered by the microbrew crowd..
I like to vary my beer choices and buy a different selection on my way home each Friday followed by a 2nd and maybe 3rd over the weekend. I live in Seattle so I have a lot of choices and I try them all. After discovering Citra Summer Blonde I've now brought it home on three of the last four Fridays.
I find Widmer Brothers Citra Blonde Summer Brew--that's a lot of names!--to be very refreshing and highly flavorful. It's darn near a perfect beer!

07-05-2011 23:56:27 | More by Nixon
isthatbeer

District of Columbia

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Had this on tap at the Argonaut in DC. Served in a shaker pint.

Its got a clear pale straw hue with minimal head. It just looks really refreshing. I pickup faint grape must in the nose. The taste has some initial grape seed/must flavor with a nice crisp dry finish.

Overall I really enjoyed this one. Its a real summer thirst quencher!

08-28-2011 21:46:38 | More by isthatbeer
HighballurRollby

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

I bought this beer as a single because I hadn't noticed anything new come from widmer in a while. I was not dissapointed and widmer climbs a few steps on my ladder imho.

My first swig of this beer let me know that it is a smooth, tame mouthfeel with citrus on the nose heavily as I swallow and get a nice quick aftertaste of lemon rind that quickly vanishes and I'm on to the next drink. This beer is uniquely refreshing because it has a nice body and a finish of a full bodied beer but every sip makes me want to take another which reminds me of a coors light or bud light ( you just wanna finish it). This beer is fruity and citrusy across the board from the smell to the taste and up to 3 seconds after swallowing. It defintely is a nice summer seasonal that I will share with many friends.

08-17-2012 08:04:37 | More by HighballurRollby
thehenbarris

2.98/5  rDev -17%

Had on tap at Mahar's Public Bar (Albany, NY) on 7/26/11

A- Transparent blonde/golden. Poured with an extremely thin head that dissipated quickly. Little to no lacing.

S- Heavy apricot and hops.

T- Bright hop flavors combined with apricot, peach, and grapefruit. Not too sweet, the fruit flavors work well with the hops. A refreshing beer that I would imagine would work well as a beer to go with warm weather outside festivities. "Crisp"

M- High in carbonation, which I would expect in this type of beer.

O- This is a fairly average brew all told, but it works well for what it is. While it isn't something I'd knock people over to get, I'd drink it again in a pinch.

07-27-2011 16:48:14 | More by thehenbarris
rwhitmore

Kansas

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Had this on-tap in the beer garden at the Iowa City Jazz Festival. Poured into a translucent plastic cup.

Appearance: a little hard to say, because of the plastic cup. A nice white frothy head.

Smell: Big hit of citrus and tropical fruit, esp. mango, with a light sweet malt aroma.

Taste: Juicy, fruity citrus, with a nice balanced bitterness of grapefruit rind, which made a wonderfully tart finish. Malts were crisp and cracker-y.

Mouthfeel: Bright, clean, super refreshing.

Overall: It was really hot at the festival, and this just blew me away with it's refreshing, juicy, thirst-quenching flavor. I would session this beer all summer long. I hope it makes its way to the Great Plains before next summer.

08-05-2012 22:59:18 | More by rwhitmore
zagduck

4.29/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: slightly cloudy, gold color with white head

Smell: delicious, smells like citrusy but not in an overpowering way. If this beer tastes as good as it smells, it will be fantastic.

Taste: citrus with a hoppy bitterness. Very unique.

Mouthfeel: more carbonated than I would prefer not still makes for easy drinkability

Overall: this is a fantastic beer. It is the quintessential summer beer. It is citrusy and refreshing without being too sweet. This is a very well balanced beer. I can't think of a better beer to enjoy on a warm summer evening.

06-23-2013 05:02:17 | More by zagduck
HedleyLamar

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

A great beer for a warm summer day...I love the Citra hops. I'm not a huge fan of the Widmer Brothers brewery, however their use of citra hops caught my eye. This beer has a nice color for a Blonde. I plan on adding this to my list of summer beers. Its easy to drink and has plenty of flavor.

05-19-2013 00:15:19 | More by HedleyLamar