Falconer's IPA - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

good

good

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: ElGordo on 09-01-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Falconer's IPA Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -52.7%

fishguyac, Nov 22, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -44.6%

A- Copper color, decent head, not much for lacing

S- This does not smell like an IPA at all to me. Malty, not much on the hops at all, quite disappointing. Does have a soapy taste

T- Balanced, but no hop bite, some malty biscuit. Wanting more hops.

M- Moderate carbonation, mouthfeel is off.

D- I am not impressed, was not much of a Widmer fan until the X114 and sadly will return to that status. I wish they would make the X114 a year round brew. The Falconer is not awful, but its nowhere close to what I would expect of American or west coast IPA- weak showing comparable to their previous offerings.

Hoodoo, Sep 10, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -33%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

My insurance company never bought me a falcon... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises light orange zest, buttery biscuit, light flowers, and a touch of sweet toffee. The taste is dominated by a stinging ruby red grapefruit rind bitterness, with some light caramel and grass lying beneath, hoping to catch a crumb from the oppressive elite. No such luck, kids: time to starve. Yeah, that kept going, but that's just 'cause I wanted to get my mind off of the terrible taste still rampaging through my mouth. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I don't know what went wrong with this beer, but it is downright awful-tasting. My tongue still kinda hurts from it. Boo.

TMoney2591, Apr 02, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

doucmehu, Jan 21, 2012

slowandlazy, Jan 18, 2013

Seehearcait, May 04, 2014

bellb, Jan 11, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

12 oz single from Roth’s Vista Market ,Salem. $1.35 typical burnt orange body with a nice,thick and frothy eggshell white head. not liking the aroma..this is the type of IPA aroma that puts me off pungent green onion..though it gets Ok after the first few deep sniffs. Taste ..bland really..sweet malty..grassy hop...slightly fruity..meh. Ok i suppose on the palate..nothing to write home about. Another dissapointment from the Rotator series..im not sure am i missing something?

Reidrover, Nov 04, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Pint on draft at Atlas Bar.

Pours a deep clear copper color with about a 1" white head that sustains pretty well.

Smell is bready/grainy with some pine. A bit too malt forward for an IPA.

Taste is similar. Strong bready and caramel malt bakcbone with some slightly astringent pine dry bitter finish. Hints of some wood as well give it a unique taste.

Mouthfeel is good with good carbonation.

Perfectly drinkable beer although the dry bitter finish may make having more than 1-2 of these unpalatable. Nothing horrible, but nothing great either.

jmarsh123, Nov 03, 2011

Garrett092112, Dec 05, 2012

PickwickHopz, Jul 12, 2014

Beerlover, Apr 18, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Appearance- Clear copper color with an off white head and tons of sticky lacing. 4/5

Smell- There isn't much of an aroma, but I do smell a grassy hops. 2/5

Taste- Sweet malt with a very big bitterness to back it up. The bitterness stays with you for quite awhile. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- Thicker than I typically like. Gets a little thicker as it warms. 2.5/5

Overall- I was really looking forward to this but have to admit I am a little disappointed. 3/5

MADhombrewer, Sep 22, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Glass - Nonic

A - Copper color with good clarity. It produced a dense and fluffy looking 3-finger head that held very well. A bit of C02 can be seen and it left some nice lacing on my glass.

S - One of the first things I noticed was a bready, sweet aroma. I get soft pineapple, grapefruit and tangerine notes but nothing bright. I also pick up a bit of pine notes, soft smelling IPA for the most part.

T - Having just had the Drifter Pale Ale I gotta say that this IPA tastes very very similar. Upfront I get toasted bread notes with biscuit and cracker everywhere. The malty flavors are sorta combined with rind, grapefruit, pine, and herbal/leafy hop flavors. Bitterness is decent for an IPA and it lingers around for awhile as well.

M - Medium bodied with soft carbonation and a bit of a slick feel to it.

O - Overall It tastes like a slightly beefed up version of the Drifter Pale Ale. I wonder if they just added slightly more hops and malt while making the Drifter and came up with this. I think it's an alright IPA. Nothing special. I'm also not a fan of the herbal/dry/musky/leafy flavors that are present in this beer and the Drifter. Worth a try but I think there's much better IPA's out there for around the same price.

PintOHops, Sep 18, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

Purchased at Bier Thirty over in Bown last night.. Poured into my small CC goblet... The head drops pretty quickly.. nice lacing ... decent cap... the brew is a hazed light amber.

Nose has a good pungent hoppiness.. grapefruit zest and pine comb.. with an interesting tropical fruity profile... odd.. the malts seem a touch too high and even show some dark toast....

Big bitterness out of the gate.. the bitter bite blows things out of the water.. citrus and something that I associate with more tropical hops.... maybe some melon... but the flavor pretty much drops into the bitterness and trails on forever... some dry toasty malt presence shows on the finish with shelf warmth.

Bitter --- hoppy --- bitter again ... seems thin with malts ... definitely one dimensional... A decent PNW IPA, but loses all the intricacies...

I doubt I will buy this one again... odd and not that good... and certainly not very enjoyable.

3/3.5/3.5/3/2

JohnGalt1, Mar 10, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

I love the concept of this series, but this beer was lacking somewhat. I'm not sure if I dont love the Falconer hop or if there was a problem with executuion. I just was'nt in love. A generic hop flavor at best. I expected something way more interesting from a single hop beer. And, from a new hop. But this was just good, not great.

berliner07, Jan 24, 2012