Lemongrass Wheat Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Lemongrass Wheat Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series)Lemongrass Wheat Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Wheatwine |  9.00% ABV

"Wheat ale brewed with lemongrass and muscat grape juice"

(Beer added by: DaveHS on 10-05-2011)
3.75/5  rDev +24.2%

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

3.75/5  rDev +24.2%

2.64/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Near clear, deep golden body with a white head that deteriorates in a flash. Poof. Gone.

Smell: Decidedly sweet-scented, smelling of heady malted wheat, syrup, jellies, honeybear honey, and booze with little lemongrass showing.

Taste: Heavily sweet, quite sugary from the first sip on. Sugar, sticky honey, muscat jelly. No real hop character or bitterness to begin tempering this mess. Vein of acidity running through the middle. Again, not much lemongrass, mostly just raw sweetness. Faint, faint and a noticeable booziness on the thick, that-ain't-exactly-luscious, toothsome finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: I was geared up for a sweet, heavy beer, but, ugh, this was just clunky, clumsy, and cloying. A sack of sugar would've been cheaper.

2.4/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle from Lueken's Big Town Liquors (Dunedin, FL). 9.99. Bottled 09/15/11. Served in a Terrapin goblet.

Pours a muddy orange with a finger and a half of white head that fades quickly. No head.

Smell is very different from other wheat wines. Sour white grape, red wine, lemon (lemon grass, perhaps?) and an almost wet mildewed wheat. Strange and near off-putting.

I don't know if the brewer's intentions were to brew a sour (and admittedly I don't drink sours) but it seems like that is what this is. Very tart grape, sour lemon, wheaty sweetness, vinegar, wet grass, musty, earthy and funky. But no booze.

Medium light body with a mild yet present carbonation. Dry tart finish.

I love wheat wines but this just isn't my cup of tea. If I enjoyed sours this would perhaps be a dream come true. That's just not the case. This was way too tart and too much of a departure from a wheat wine for me to finish a glass, let alone a bottle. No thanks.

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

2.8/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden yellow with a small fizzy white head that quickly goes to a dusting.

The aroma is sweet citric wheaty malts, honey and grapes.

The flavor is bready malts, sweet grape juice and honey with some musty yeast. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and a bit watery with some slight spritzy carbonation.

Overall, it’s OK - overly sweet.

4.2/5  rDev +39.1%

Grabbed a bottle that had a bottle date of September 15, 2011. Been wanting this for awhile and heard let it age. So I did. The appearance was nothing spectacular. It was typical Widmer...filtered. That sucks because their normal hef is not. But it does have a very orangish clear color that is very similar to a white grape wine...I hate to say this but it looks like urine...its that kind of orangish. The head disappeared quickly and its got a good amount of alcohol legs on my snifter. When it comes to aroma, this does not smell like beer. It smells like wine. The full on grape aroma is strong. Like a sour green grape. I am really trying to find the lemongrass but its full on grape. I also get a hint of funk / vinegar. I wonder if this has soured up? I gave it a 4 for uniqueness. Its not bad but not oh my god but its definitely telling me something is happening in this glass. Now for the flavor of the lemongrass wheat ale. Wow really smooth, sweet, dry and that grape smell is more smell and the flavor is totally sweet grape with a hint of that lemon grass. Wow this was a surprise. Its very clean and the 9% is not there at all. It has a very dry mouthfeel and the carbonation helps clean the flavor away making me ask for more. Nothing stellar though. I say a 4 because of the age I was expecting the carbonation to be minimal but its still alive when it hits the tissues in your mouth. Overall, Widmer hit it out of the park with this and too bad other people are dissing this. Getting a high mark for me and I live in Portland and am normally very critical of our Hometown giant. Rob Widmer had a vision and if you aged it, you got what he was looking for. I can assume fresh that this was a full on lemony grape bomb with booze. This is a sweet succulent batch of grape skin with a hint of citrus. Man I wish I had another. Widmer is coming out with impressive one off small batches and I guess its time to grab others and age them because this was in the early stages of their reserve series. I am really impressed by this beer. The flavor alone was worth it due to its contrast with the smell.

3.13/5  rDev +3.6%

The head dissipates instantly leaving no trace or lacing at all. Amber orange color is hazy with minimal bubbling.

Aroma is a cross between floral and cough drop.

Taste is slightly sweettart, with definate grape juice undertones.

Slick texture, medium body and soft carbonation linger on the palate for some time.

Overall, it’s an interesting beer that I would try again. One of the better beers I’ve had from Widmer as they haven’t impressed me much to date.

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

Lemongrass Wheat Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company