Lemongrass Wheat Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Lemongrass Wheat Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series)Lemongrass Wheat Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Wheatwine |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: DaveHS on 10-05-2011

"Wheat ale brewed with lemongrass and muscat grape juice"

to view more.
Ratings: 75 | Reviews: 30
Reviews by ChainGangGuy:
2.66/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Near clear, deep golden body with a white head that deteriorates in a flash. Poof. Gone.

Smell: Decidedly sweet-scented, smelling of heady malted wheat, syrup, jellies, honeybear honey, and booze with little lemongrass showing.

Taste: Heavily sweet, quite sugary from the first sip on. Sugar, sticky honey, muscat jelly. No real hop character or bitterness to begin tempering this mess. Vein of acidity running through the middle. Again, not much lemongrass, mostly just raw sweetness. Faint, faint and a noticeable booziness on the thick, that-ain't-exactly-luscious, toothsome finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: I was geared up for a sweet, heavy beer, but, ugh, this was just clunky, clumsy, and cloying. A sack of sugar would've been cheaper.

2.9/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

In a snifter the beer was a bright red/orange color with just a rim of head.

Sweet, fruity aroma: lemon, grape, pineapple.

Grape taste, like drinking Manischewitz. Alcohol noticeable, not that pleasant. What happened to the lemongrass?

Too sweet, a little hot.

Not at all to my liking. Will not try this one again.

2.86/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden yellow with a small fizzy white head that quickly goes to a dusting.

The aroma is sweet citric wheaty malts, honey and grapes.

The flavor is bready malts, sweet grape juice and honey with some musty yeast. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and a bit watery with some slight spritzy carbonation.

Overall, it’s OK - overly sweet.

Ok, I was really excited about this beer. I grow lemon grass in my herb garden and always have tons of it, which I cut, minced, strip etc and freeze so I can have all sorts of Asian delights during the winter.

The last time I heard of lemongrass in a beverage was back in the 70's, I think it was Stoli who made a Vodka with lemongrass.

The pour was a golden tan, somewhat darker than other wheat beers. There was only a slight hint of wheat in the nose but I could not really detect the lemon grass, which is generally so noticeable.

Even after the first sip, I tasted the wheat type of beer, perhaps a small hint of lemon, but to me it wasnt lemongrass. Maybe the muscat grape sweeteened it up too much.

The touch of lemon did make this a lively beer, but in the end, I was disappointed, because it was another average wheat beer and for me, missing what I was looking for , the lemongrass!

2.79/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22oz of lemongrass wheat ale in a bomber in a brown cardboard box. Poured into pint glass, beer is a very pale and crystal clear orange/yellow with zero head. Why would they have filtered such a high-gravity wheat ale? Aroma suggests lemonade as much as lemongrass. Flavor is of lemonade as well. The texture is oddly both thin and heavy. Beer is plenty cold but carbonation is fine and pretty low in quantity. There's plenty of sweetness, but it's necessary given the high alcohol level with little else going for it. Wheat seems to have been used as an adjunct to brew a low-Lovibond beer rather than as a way to get what into the beer. Oh, and muscat grape juice, ditto.

Disappointing; I'd had high hopes. Those seeking a lemongrass beer should seek out CBC's Tiger Bite (at about half the ABV!)

3.37/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours without any trace of a head. Body is a pretty golden-orange color. Sweet aroma of primarily muscat grapes, with a hint of crisp wheat and just a faint whiff of lemongrass after it warms up a bit. Palate is sweet up front, again heavy on muscat grapes. Notes of orange marmalade and light malted wheat, without much suggestion of lemongrass. The mouthfeel is a little syrupy and sticky, without which the relatively high alcohol content would be nearly undetectable. This is reminiscent (if not the same recipe) as Widmer's 2004 OBF entry, Muscat Love. Like that beer, I think the grapes should have gotten top billing on this one, as they are the dominant flavor, not the lemongrass.

3.05/5  rDev +1%

Standard bomber poured into a wine glass, a rare visit to the Wheatwine style and my first from a bottle. Pours a moderate gold with a touch of apricot, mostly clear but with a bit of haze. A thin cap of foam lacks staying power, looking like a sweet wine in short order.

Aroma is a bit light and reaching. Touch of lemon, hint of wheat and some perceived alcohol. Lack of carbonation is surely a factor here. Touch of ripe tropical fruit and some hop notes appear briefly after some agitation and warming, yet diminish too swiftly.

Somewhat sweet in flavor yet not overly so. Gathers a bit of complexity with warming but still seems a bit run of the mill. Offers an enjoyable fruity flavor and is light in body for the ABV. Finish is vinous in nature with the Muscat ruling the day. Subtle and delicate overall and a rare quandary of a beer for me. A firmer carbonation would be in order for me as the beer is too sweet and vinous as is though still causing me to pause for a moment. Bit of a bump as it warms up...

2.97/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bottle in a DFH "pint"

very light gold with a hint of tan. looks highly carbonated, but a very fine carbonation (like champagne yeast or something). Head quickly flees, no legs, no lacing.

smells pretty green, some pine and resiny hops, a little medicinal (a la DFH Saison Du Buff). Rosemary?

Hmmm. I have not eaten a blade of lemongrass in my life, so I cannot compare, but I'm told it's rather lemony? This has a little citrus, herbs, hops. Backs up the medicinal promise of the nose. Definitely sweet. I'm getting a little bit of the wheat malt, but it's more distracting than helping.

Sticky and thick, cloying sweetness. Carbonation has long since dissipated.

Weiiird. Weird. I don't hate it, but I definitely don't love it. I don't know why they made this a wheat beer, it seems better served by going the saison route (like Du Buff). Some of the flavors work, others don't, and it's way too sweet to be a repeat drink.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a cloudy golden amber. Half finger white head dissipates almost immediately into a ring around the glass. Aroma of lemon and unidentifiable herbs, a bit of orange, light sweet malt. Flavor is sour lemon and orange rind, light vinegar acidity with subdued malt. Finish is lemon sourness with a slight metallic element. The initial flavor seems in line with a citrus sour beer, but this is too unbalanced and sharp in the finish. Light bodied. I'm not sure that wheatwine is the proper category for this, it does not resemble any wheatwine I've ever tasted except for ABV. An interesting experiment that did not work for me.

2.41/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle from Lueken's Big Town Liquors (Dunedin, FL). 9.99. Bottled 09/15/11. Served in a Terrapin goblet.

Pours a muddy orange with a finger and a half of white head that fades quickly. No head.

Smell is very different from other wheat wines. Sour white grape, red wine, lemon (lemon grass, perhaps?) and an almost wet mildewed wheat. Strange and near off-putting.

I don't know if the brewer's intentions were to brew a sour (and admittedly I don't drink sours) but it seems like that is what this is. Very tart grape, sour lemon, wheaty sweetness, vinegar, wet grass, musty, earthy and funky. But no booze.

Medium light body with a mild yet present carbonation. Dry tart finish.

I love wheat wines but this just isn't my cup of tea. If I enjoyed sours this would perhaps be a dream come true. That's just not the case. This was way too tart and too much of a departure from a wheat wine for me to finish a glass, let alone a bottle. No thanks.

3.2/5  rDev +6%

Chill hazed amber colored beer with essentially no head formed.

Smell is sweet spicy and fruity. Nice lemon grass aroma with some white wine scent. Little bit of a sour tang here like sour grapes. Grassy scent of noble hops.

Starts out sweet and sour and quite fruity tasting. This is certainly sweet and approaches my tolerance for it in a wheat beer. Something like grape soda with lemon grass in it.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is just OK. This is just too sweet. It would have been better if they had left out the grapes and made a dry Lemon Grass spiked wheat beer.

3.55/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours clear light amber with no head, just a thin ring of brilliant white bubbles.

S-Muscat grape sweetness, honey, canned fruit cocktail syrup.

T/M-Has the same muscat grape sweetness as Midas Touch, but not nearly as cloying or syrupy. The lemongrass provides a bright, dry note mid-palate. Very subtle. The malt backbone is bready and supportive. Medium bodied with light, soft carbonation.

O-These Brothers' Reserve series beers keep getting better all the time. A solid effort from an increasingly relevant brewery.

3.08/5  rDev +2%

The head dissipates instantly leaving no trace or lacing at all. Amber orange color is hazy with minimal bubbling.

Aroma is a cross between floral and cough drop.

Taste is slightly sweettart, with definate grape juice undertones.

Slick texture, medium body and soft carbonation linger on the palate for some time.

Overall, it’s an interesting beer that I would try again. One of the better beers I’ve had from Widmer as they haven’t impressed me much to date.

2.77/5  rDev -8.3%

22 oz bomber into pint glass

a: pours hazy golden orange with little head to speak of and a thin white ring around the glass

s: tons of malty sweetness, very little citrus, there's a bit of vinegary sourness as well, which is surprising

t: very sweet, citrusy, orange, lemon, can definitely taste the alcohol. some rust flavor coming thru as it warms. there's a lingering bitterness in the aftertaste

m: light to medium body, slightly syrupy, low carbonation, light alcohol burn on the way down

o: too sweet for my taste and not very well balanced. i was intrigued by the idea of it when I first saw it but i definitely wouldn't buy it again.

3.65/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from the bottle a deep bright orange with just a thin ring of off-white head.

Aroma is sweet and syrupy with pineapple, tropical fruits and a touch of earthiness.

Like the aroma, the taste is quite sweet with pineapple, tropical fruits, candy sugar, Belgian yeast and wheat malts. I've yet to notice the much anticipated lemongrass in this one. The 9% alcohol gives the palate a lingering warmth.

Medium bodied and syrupy with a moderate carbonation.

A fine tasting beer overall, but maybe a tad oversweet and lacking the lemongrass flavor and aroma I had so looked forward to.

2.68/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a snifter. Had an orange-ish colored and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that quickly dissipated. No lacing at all.

S: A weak aroma of fruit, grape, and some malt. Not much going on here.

T: Tasted of lemongrass (with heavy emphasis on the grass), malt and grapes, which provide a very acidic burn in the finish. Not a pleasant flavor. The grassy quality is not very tasty and the grapes are a harsh, coarse element.

M: An average amount of carbonation with the aforementioned harsh finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Wheatwine isn't the easiest style to get right, but this one doesn't even really come close.

3.96/5  rDev +31.1%

I was extremely surprised by the taste of this beer. When I opened it, It seems to smell a bit hoppy, for me isnt my favorite. I served it in a wine glass to let it breathe and it was very delicious. I would make a great paring with a lemon based dish like a lemon herb chicken or an italian dish.
Yes, the 9% ABV also has a nice kick too. amazing light, not much of an after taste if any. I am getting another bottle!

4.17/5  rDev +38.1%

Grabbed a bottle that had a bottle date of September 15, 2011. Been wanting this for awhile and heard let it age. So I did. The appearance was nothing spectacular. It was typical Widmer...filtered. That sucks because their normal hef is not. But it does have a very orangish clear color that is very similar to a white grape wine...I hate to say this but it looks like urine...its that kind of orangish. The head disappeared quickly and its got a good amount of alcohol legs on my snifter. When it comes to aroma, this does not smell like beer. It smells like wine. The full on grape aroma is strong. Like a sour green grape. I am really trying to find the lemongrass but its full on grape. I also get a hint of funk / vinegar. I wonder if this has soured up? I gave it a 4 for uniqueness. Its not bad but not oh my god but its definitely telling me something is happening in this glass. Now for the flavor of the lemongrass wheat ale. Wow really smooth, sweet, dry and that grape smell is more smell and the flavor is totally sweet grape with a hint of that lemon grass. Wow this was a surprise. Its very clean and the 9% is not there at all. It has a very dry mouthfeel and the carbonation helps clean the flavor away making me ask for more. Nothing stellar though. I say a 4 because of the age I was expecting the carbonation to be minimal but its still alive when it hits the tissues in your mouth. Overall, Widmer hit it out of the park with this and too bad other people are dissing this. Getting a high mark for me and I live in Portland and am normally very critical of our Hometown giant. Rob Widmer had a vision and if you aged it, you got what he was looking for. I can assume fresh that this was a full on lemony grape bomb with booze. This is a sweet succulent batch of grape skin with a hint of citrus. Man I wish I had another. Widmer is coming out with impressive one off small batches and I guess its time to grab others and age them because this was in the early stages of their reserve series. I am really impressed by this beer. The flavor alone was worth it due to its contrast with the smell.

3.83/5  rDev +26.8%

Oh, Muscat grapes must be what give it the spicy, fruity flavor with a touch of perfume. The lemon grass gives it the tartness and fragrance. Crazy stuff, and audacious to flavor a wheat wine. Sweet, but about what you'd hope for in a strong sipping beer. Wheat gives a pleasant sharp note with the big fruit of the flavorings. Lovely golden amber in the chalice with a sparkly carbonation, though it dissipates after a while.

Whatever Widmer wants to do is so far OK with me since they make everything with clean, crisp flavors. None of the murky graveyard funk or the "oops" hop overdose.

2.52/5  rDev -16.6%

Served on tap at Out of the Park Pizza in Anaheim Hills. Reviewed from notes.

A- Finger width head with very little retention. Pale golden color. Nice lacing though.

S- Wheat and citrus. I didn't smell the grapes that it was supposedly brewed with, but my nose isn't fine tuned yet. Light and malty.

T- Light, sour and citrusy. Tastes like a light cider almost. Strange.

M- Winey, and finished wet.

O- It was the first example I've had of the style, and I wasn't too impressed.

3.35/5  rDev +10.9%

This stuff retails for $10 a bottle, yet I was able to get a bottle on clearance for $2.50. It must be the paper box which surrounds the bottle, though I must say the addition of muscat grape juice and lemongrass to a strong wheat ale does sound appealing, even if it is from Widmer. Here we go on an adventure with 22 ounces, and on to the beer:

There's a paler orange color sitting in my glass. Surprisingly clear in its body with visible carbonation bubbles running through. The head on top forms small and recedes to a lace. The nose does have some interesting points, though in the end doesn't quite meld as one hopes. The lemongrass dominates, with some plain wheat malt on the side and solvent alcohol.

Now we're on the right track. The lemongrass character is more mellow, and the muscat grape juice is allowed to pull through to create a juice sweet and herbal duo that works. There is a little character of a "wheat malt liquor" underneath the added flavors, but thankfully it's not too much of a headache. The alcohol is there, creating a bubblegum note. A medium, almost syrupy body and some sparkling carbonation are courtesy of the beer. The aftertaste is on the pleasant side, with some muscat grape juice lingering on.

The lemongrass and muscat grape additions keep this beer from being a boring mess. It's an agreeable beer, but not one I'd want to spend a full $10 on a bomber just to have again.

1.9/5  rDev -37.1%

Bottle purchased from Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Pours a flat, hazed orange-gold colour, with almost no discernible head. There's a touch of bubbles in a tiny ring around the edge, but only when it's tilted. Looks really underwhelming.

Nose is quite incredibly funky and sour, and not in a good way. Slight earthy rawness, an overt lemonade-like sweetness, and really, what feels like infected homebrew. Weird.

Taste is similar. There's definitely a funk to this—really it feels unintentionally infected. Direct, earthy, slightly dirty acidity, along with a gritty bitterness on the finish and an undertone of lemongrass, unwashed roots and all. Feel is sliced with the acidity, and oddly carbonated, given how flat it looks.

Overall, this is terrible. Really—not a chance was this intended to be this sour. It's not an intentional acidity, and it pings off the lemongrass unpleasantly, as well as obscuring the flavour itself. Way, way off.

2.14/5  rDev -29.1%

This basically tasted like metal and stewed veggies. Too little carbonation as well. It smells alright, kinda floral and earthy with some lemongrass thrown in. Besides it smelling alright, it's pretty much an abomination of a beer. Avoid like the plague.

2.49/5  rDev -17.5%

A: poured into a pint glass, only the smallest of heads that quickly dissipates to nothing but a couple bubbles on top of the beer. Color is a very light orange, close to yellow. Some small bubble trains in the beer.

S: The muscat grapes were apparent during the pour, but not as much in the glass. Mostly lemongrass in the aroma with a simple wheat note.

T: Not much complexity... like a light wheat beer mixed with a bit of white grape juice. The lemongrass doesn't show up much in the taste.

M: Nearly flat.

O: A pretty weak offering from the Reserve Series. Drinkable, but this should be a standard priced 6-pack beer, not an expensive 22.

3.34/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Release #5 fall 2011. Appearance has an orange amber color that produces no head or lace. I would think the protiens from the wheat would more head and retention. Smell is of wheat, malt, grassy with slight spice in the background. Taste has a light sweetness of young wine, spiciness with the wheat and malt having mild hop and a note of raw alchohol. Mouthfeel is light with a mild spike of carbonation. Not a bad brew, but Nothing real exciting either, maybe a late evening after the sun goes down summer beer.

to view more.
Lemongrass Wheat Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company