W'12 Dark Saison - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Alcohol by Volume: 5.5%

Original Gravity: 11.75 Plato
Malts: 2-Row Pale, White Wheat, Caramel 120L, Vienna, Dark Chocolate
Hops: Alchemy, Saaz

(Beer added by: leedorham on 12-31-2011)
CAcker

Colorado

02-03-2013 14:01:04 | More by CAcker
Azteceinstein

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

01-20-2013 17:57:40 | More by Azteceinstein
Goblinmunkey7

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Perfectly clear. A rich copper with dark golden hues. Small off-white head has ok retention. Sticky lacing. Creamy and rich.

Smell: Caramel malt sweetness. Tons of Belgian yeast. Clove, banana, touches of bubblegum even. Big sweetness. So much clove. Candi sugar. Peppercorns. Vaguely breast. Very yeast and spice heavy. A bit of roasted malt adds character.

Taste: Big yeast and sweetness. Clove and ripe banana. So much clove. Sweet caramel malt presence. Cooked and caramelized malts. Bready in small amounts. Underlying earthiness coupled with some floral and citrus notes. Mild hopping. So very Belgian. Almost cola-like sweetness. Caramel and something akin to honey in the back. Vaguely spicy outside of clove.

Mouthfeel: Body runs on the lighter side of medium with a moderate carbonation. Minor dryness on the finish.

Overall: I think I missed the part where they made a saison.

A Belgian dark ale of sorts. Missed a saison in character and practice. Actually decent as a Belgian dark but a mess as a saison.

01-12-2013 02:12:29 | More by Goblinmunkey7

District of Columbia

12-27-2012 03:37:57 | More by nmann08
AHood

3.58/5  rDev +5%

I drank this from an over sized wine glass which allowed the aroma to impact me at 6 inches from my face. Head retention was weak, but the colour was a brilliant oxidized orange I would categorize as copper. While I was impressed by the aroma of meyer lemons, subtle floral hops of delicate white flowers and low to mild sourness, I was slightly less impressed by what was exposed on my palate. Relatively simple, a nice fruity citrus with a light balance of hop flavour in the expression of nutmeg (fitting for the season, as it is the end of November). I suppose I was expecting a bigger bang on the palate. I did taste a nice brown buttered malt that I rather enjoyed which lingered a bit on the finish with a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel was surprisingly light, but coated my mouth well, adding a subtle tartness.

My overall impression of this beer is that, while it isn't life-changing, I would drink it again. Very easy to drink as a refreshing aperitif to get you going for the rest of the night. I would drink it alone or with a sandwich, because I like sandwiches. But seriously, a mellow smoked gouda; panini with ham, caramelized onions, the aforementioned cheese, spinach and tomatoes; or even a grilled chicken thigh with a reduced mushroom broth/sauce and wild rice.

I would buy a 6 pack of this to serve to my friends to get them ready for the big boys!

11-29-2012 02:37:43 | More by AHood

Indiana

11-17-2012 01:53:23 | More by bgramels
russwbeck

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%

A: The color really surprised me as I was expecting it to be black. It actually rests in my glass a deep, clear amber color with around a finger of off white head. The head doesn't last at all and I also don't see many bubbles raising up through the beer, which both hurt its score in this category.

S: The aroma is much like a saison with some underlying roast and malt. Light spice, lemon, wheat, and what I'm equating to roast. Basically, I'm getting saison and a nice, new underlying aroma I can't quite place.

T: The taste is right on par with a saison with the malt lingering on the backend. The lemon and sweetness is up front, with the spices (as they were on the aroma) being very light. The malt provides a nice balance and sits at the very backend.

MF: The beer has a crisp and clean finish. Overall it has a thin to medium body with lower than average carbonation. I found the beer to be really drinkable.

O: I liked this take on the style, which is one that could be hit or miss for me. I didn't think it was great, but I've certainly had worse.

11-12-2012 22:41:03 | More by russwbeck
tlazaroff

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

A bit sweet on the nose, like caramel and brown sugar. Quite different than what I expected, it does not smell like a typical Saison.

Really nice brown and ruby in color, especially when held to the light. Few carbonation bubbles passing by and no speakable head.

This is very off-putting, it really gives me the impression of being a sour beer, without being sour. It has that really light apple taste, with a tad of funk on the back-end. Highly carbonated and light in body makes this one moderately easy to drink. I probably wouldn't be seeking this one out again.

11-05-2012 06:13:13 | More by tlazaroff

flayedandskinned

09-14-2012 20:58:58 | More by flayedandskinned
YouSkeete

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Deep, mildly cloudy browned amber with a short off-white head.Weak retention, with long legs on the glass. Caramel malts, coffee beans and sour fruit on the aroma with sweet, mildly spicy undertones. Big carbonated punch of fermented fruits including oranges, plums, dates with a solid malty backbone. Overall body has lots of darker fruits and molasses-like flavors with a sticky, milky mouthfeel. Chocolate, heavy cream and Finish is on the sweet side, mild hop bitterness. Not what I had anticipated for a saison necessarily, but decent nonetheless.

09-13-2012 00:16:02 | More by YouSkeete
iSip

Colorado

Widmer Dark Saison: Well, I am not sure what a saison is, but none the less, I can give my impression of this beer. Body is a mahogany color, with a touch of red if held up to the light. The head is thin, but holds up well. The aroma is faint, but lets you know there are some Belgian strains of yeast at work. The flavor is distinctly tea, with a hint of cherry in the background. Again, some Belgian yeast makes an appearance. Overall, quite different from an average beer. I enjoyed it as something different, but it will not enter into my rotation of favorite beers. If I am in the mood for something in a Belgian style, there are many better options out there.

09-12-2012 19:29:48 | More by iSip
NeverSettle

09-07-2012 01:29:04 | More by NeverSettle
facundoCNB

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

a burgundy pour with 1" white head which quickly dissipated.
smells of yeast, citrus, roasted grains.
the taste is surprisingly sweet, yet refreshing like most saisons.. very subtle flavors of sweet malt, lemon, pepper, banana.
light body+, slightly creamy on lips, high carbonation.
a fantastic saison! we just started getting widmer in nj, i believe, but i ordered this from halftime because it was something i haven't seen around here. glad i did!

09-06-2012 22:29:56 | More by facundoCNB
barczar

Kentucky

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a clear amber color with a frothy half inch cream head that dissipates somewhat quickly, leaving no lacing.

Wine-like sourness, a bit of musty funk, and coriander comprise the aroma initially, with belgian yeast esters finishing up. The caramel malt backbone is pretty sweet.

Belgian yeast dominates, with esters carrying throughout. Notes of tangerines, pears, and sour orange are accompanied by coriander and clove. Malt lends a bit of toasted bread character, but is fairly subtle. There's underlying hints of funk...hay and barnyard.

Body is moderate, but the high carbonation lightens the mouthfeel.

Overall, a very complex brew. The darker malts didn't really shine, but that yeast added lots of character. Not to style, as it lacks dryness, but I like it.

08-31-2012 19:09:11 | More by barczar
Jsteez

China

2.93/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A-Reddish, dark brown in color. A 2 finger head that lasted for 45 seconds and then dissipated. Did not leave much lacing on the sides of the glass. Disappointing.

S-The smell surprised me. Spicy and sweet, with a touch of sweet malt. I sensed cloves and oak/pine/bread.

T-Spicy and sweet, slight hops and quite woody/earthy. The aftertaste was a blend of cloves and pepper. There was something very wrong with this brew...

M-Flat and too watery....disappointing.

O-It could have been better considering the fact this style of beer can be quite nice. Widmer Brothers brews are hit and miss, some are great, some are mediocre.

08-31-2012 13:37:23 | More by Jsteez

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

08-26-2012 23:27:58 | More by MammothTarantula
jzeilinger

2.53/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Pours a hazlenut color, minimal head that dies off quick, no carbonation, and a very thin lacing ring - looks more like a barleywine by the color.

S - Faded aroma, light Belgian funk, bready light carmel malt, cloves, and a little bit of spice.

T - Banana, cloves, spice, bready caramel malt, light funky earth.

M - Thick, biscuity/bready, and malty for a saison. Mellow carbonation on the palette.

O - I feel like I'm drinking a dark German wheat beer with a slight bit of tart funk. Had it been called something else and not a Saison I may have reviewed it differently.

08-21-2012 23:02:38 | More by jzeilinger
Scotchboy

Idaho

2.98/5  rDev -12.6%

The last of my reviews from the variety pack...W12 Dark Saison poured into a New Belgium Globe.

A: Pours dark gold, almost brown, with slight haze and minimal off-white and lacing. Carbonation is visible in the glass.

S: Belgian notes...clove and banana...some malty sweetness, traces of toasted grain and earthyness.

T: The palate follows the nose; Belgian notes, traces of spices, banana, slight dryness though I prefer more from a saison.

MF: Smooth creamyness and a nearly-medium body take this saison places where I don't want my farmhouse ales going...a bit too much body and malt presence.

O: Not a strong offering, no off flavors, but no desirable qualities for me, and with a more dense body its tougher to drink than most prototypical farmhouse ales.

08-15-2012 16:31:22 | More by Scotchboy