W'12 Dark Saison - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Alcohol by Volume: 5.5%

Original Gravity: 11.75 Plato
Malts: 2-Row Pale, White Wheat, Caramel 120L, Vienna, Dark Chocolate
Hops: Alchemy, Saaz

(Beer added by: leedorham on 12-31-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%

My crappy internet connection caused me to lose my original review for this a few minutes ago, but I'm pretty sure I can recreate it from memory, so here it goes, sans the original flowery verbiage:

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Chestnut with glowing amber highlights throughout.

Lots of wheat smells at first: honey, bubblegum, with an anise quality thrown into the mix.

Taste is wheaty again: honey, bubblegum, there's the anise, but in comes a huskiness that ends a little burnt. Lots of flavor & aroma packed into a 5.5% package!

Light-bodied but also a little sticky & with that lightly burnt character.

Gotta say again, this packs a lot of flavor into a not-so-big beer, & an unusual flavor at that. Personally, the closest comparison I can come to is the "dark-witbier-with-anise" homebrew I made out of Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing" - a lot of the same characteristics. Not bad, I'd go for it again.

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured out of a growler from The House of Brews in Jensen Beach.

A – Poured out a fairly dark copper with a half finger of crisp white head that receded quickly and left almost no lacing.

S – Fruity, earthy and an almost woody like aroma. Faint but pleasant.

T – This has a very mellow flavor all around. Lemon, light grape, sweet apple, banana and a touch of spice. I also get a bit of grain and a nice light malt sweetness as well. Not real bitterness at all.

M – Mellow and smooth. Light bodied with light to medium carbonation. Refreshing really.

O – This is a nice easy drinking summer type of beer. I could drink a few of these on a hot summer day. Really a nice brew.

3.65/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - transparent copper hue, light retention, light lace

Smell - faint but sweet and dark fruit notes

Taste - banana, dates, sweet fruit

Mouthfeel - light, watery

Overall - not sure what they were going for here, just tinting an average saison with cracked malts? that's not to say its not good but it's not outstanding either

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Clear amber, with a modest white head, thin glass-coating lace, and very slight carbonation.

Aroma: Strong earthy notes, with almost a barnyard note, swith our hay, and decaying wood. There is also a slight note of dark fruit.

Taste: Notes of earthy, medicinal notes from start to finish. There are also moderate herbal hops, and a grassy undercurrent, and a faint note of sweet alcohol. Finishes with a lingering. slightly spicy hop note.

Mouth feel: smooth, sof, and quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A decent and interesting example, worth a try.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a standard Pilsener glass.

I bought a six-pack of W'12 Dark Saison in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an amber/copper color and is clear. Foamy off-white head dissipates to a froth on the surface of the beer. The froth sticks to the side of the glass leaving a thin lace.

Smell is a sweet soft fruity smell, like pears, with some dark sugar scents along side.

Taste is also sweet and sugary, with the soft fruit flavors, pears and melons. There is a very mild almost imperceptible bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is thin but still a little cloying.

Overall a drinkable brew. I'm not much on the style, but I would certainly have this again.

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Brewed once in I guess December 14th which is my brewed on date.

A - Well it's dark for a Saison with a dark tint amber brown. Head was a minimal 1/4 inch that turns to a rather thick lace ring.

S - I smell mostly Saison notes of lemon and mild funky yeasts. Little to no roast to make this "black"

T - Well I do get some fruit flavors along with my lemon. Reminds me of a bock a bit. I nice touch of fruity yeasts and a roasty finish. Different.

M - Light to medium very acceptable for the style.

Overall I kind of like the idea of adding black malts to Saison style. Very tasty.

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a wonderful garnet hue with a nice white head that recedes a bit leaving ample lacing down glass. Nice color that I really like.

Rather tame nose here, it has some funk and a whiff of roast, maybe an earthy character from the hops.

A touch sweet, but. The grains come out to play a bit with the funk. Nice earthy after taste that goes well with the funk.

Nicely quaffable warm weather drinker, and for your money get some. Seems medium light bodied that is a bit too sweet, good any how.

These folks are brewing interesting beer on a HUGE scale, I respect that.Beatiful color again on this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours a transparent light brown color with a 3/4 inch off white head. Less dense and less retention than a typical saison head. Body of the beer is transparent and I can see a few plumes of rising carbonation. In the smell I get saison yeast funk. Maybe just a touch of a roasty smell. Taste starts with a light malty sweetness, then I get a little bit of dark fruit as it crests the tongue, then a touch of saison funk and finally a sweet but slightly dry finish. Mouthfeel density is a little above aberage. I expected more carbonation, as with saison DuPont and the likes, but the average carbonation seems to suit this beer well. Overall this is a fantastic beer for a spring day. I am looking forward to having more of this, it doesn't hold up against something like La Merle, or saison DuPont, but I like it for what it is. I got a 6-er of this for $6.88, though this beer isn't world class, it is a great value.

3.98/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance: (3.5)
- This beer pours a nice dark sun-tea brown with a quickly dissipating finger of fizzy off-white to greyish head. A small ring of lace and island of thin foam rest behind. Overall solid, it isn't a big frothy Saison that I am used to.

Smell: (4.0)
- Nice esters in the nose. Plumb and fig along with some zesty clove and herbal spices. Light sweat bready grains and a zesty lemon-like presence. This puppy smells good. Perhaps a dash of molasses sweetness and earthy aromas.

Taste: (4.0)
- I like the balance in this light and smooth tasting Saison. The bready semi-sweet grain melds well with the zesty esters and spices. The balance is spot on in this brew while remaining rather light. It does however leave me wondering a bit what a slightly stronger version of this would be like. It does have a slight earthy and grassy aftertaste which contributes to some of the feel. This beer is good.

Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Overall this is a light bodied to slightly medium bodied brew. It's sessionable, and is just a touch chewy and cloying. It has a nice drying effect which causes me to not put my glass down. Overall well carbonated and quite nice.

Overall: (4.0)
- Certainly no let down here. The beer is just very balanced, and is a smooth tasty drinker. It actually tastes very good, and doesn't have some of the random off flavors that many of this style have. The smell and taste is where this beer shines, which I feel is the most important. I think this will be a great intro beer for new and future craft beer enthusiasts.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Widmer + saison = wtf????

Appearance: Light copper color. White head dissipates quickly to a thin layer that remains for the rest of the glass. Decent lacing.

Smell: saison yeast dominates the smell, as it should. Light malt and hops are very pleasant in the background.

Taste: hmm, not sure what went wrong here. I taste nothing. Very light on the palate. Light apple taste.

Mouthfeel: almost effervescent. very light, dry finish. good carbonation. this is where the beer wins imo. If it weren't winter but instead a hot summer day I think this stuff would be just what I need.

Overall: Glad Widmer is branching out still. They've got some good year around brews and their seasonal and one off stuff is really good for the price. I wouldn't mind seeing this one put into barrels to sour.

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

Crystal clear and amber/red in color with a fluffy tannish head that dissipates quickly to a thin layer. Fruit and light spices on the nose. Sweet ripe fruit on the front of the palate, with a nice esthery character. Medium caramel malt in the middle and an edgy citrusy nip on the finish. Medium to light in body, this is a very drinkable beer with the great flavors we enjoy in this style. Nice work.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up at a local grocery. Pretty good deal for a sixer. Like 8 clams I think.

Pours a deep brownish red with a thick white head. Pretty clear beer. Good lacing and head retention.

Smell is a bit acidic with some sour cherry. Not too powerful.

Taste is of tart fruit. A bit candy like but not overly so. A bit of sweetness to combat the tartness. Not much depth.

Overall this is as good as I would have hoped at the price point. Widmer is stepping up their game lately methinks.

« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »