Spiced IPA (Rotator Series #4) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Spiced IPA (Rotator Series #4)Spiced IPA (Rotator Series #4)

good

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: Docer on 01-25-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »

cestlavie, Mar 04, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

Clear, light amber color with barely one finger of head that settled to a thin cap. Nice amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass.

Do not notice anything out of the ordinary in the aroma. Smells like a straight up West Coast IPA with citrus and herbal hops.

I can definately taste the tea and spices. This is very herbal with black tea and I'm guessing Grains of Paradise. Has a peppery,herbal finish. Bitterness is moderate and no sign of alcohol. This is a bone dry IPA in the West Coast tradition. I think it all works well.

Well placed carbonation for a dry, bitter beer. Not the biggest body for a 7% ABV beer.

I prefer their O'Ryely IPA over this one but it is still a good, interesting beer.

morimech, Mar 02, 2012
3.5/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a Chimay chalice, this is a orange-amber beer with a small, quickly fading head. The aroma smells pretty much identical to the normal Widmer IPA, with no detectable additional spices. I can pick up the spices in the taste, but they're mostly subtle and lost behind the strong hopping. It's hard to identify the spices as well. I think there's a hint of cinnamon, but the others blend well enough that they're not identifiable. Perhaps some fresh green pepper? Still, the hops are so up front to mask most of the subtleness.

Not bad, but I found it hard to find much different from the normal Widmer IPA. A different beer would make a much better base for the spices.

allengarvin, Feb 28, 2012

BrewtalAlement, Feb 27, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -2%

12oz bottle to tulip

Pours clear golden color. Half finger head dissipspates quickly. Spotty lacing.

Aroma is spicy. Honestly the first thing I thought of when I took a whiff was pumpkin ale. Smells of cinnamon, ginger, some peppery spice and citrusy hops.

Yeah it tastes like a pumpkin ale too. Reminds me of a mix between pumple drumkin and Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin. I'm getting the cinnamon and ginger upfront that rides through and meets up with some hop bitterness on the way down. Peppery flavor on my palate is left behind. I can not taste the 7% ABV whatsoever. It does taste good to me and I do like pumpkin brews.

Mouthfeel is kind of creamy with mild carbonation.

I think if Widmer released this as a fall seasonal it would be well received. It tastes like a pumpkin ale to me. I'd probably drink more than one of these if it were that time of year. I think its good for what it is and I'm interested to hear others opinions.

CTBeerPope, Feb 20, 2012

TubbyDullard, Feb 18, 2012

jaidenjb, Feb 16, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

Thanks to ygtbsm94 for sharing this brew last night. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours a clear golden color with a small, diminishing white head. A bit of lace, though not too much. The nose carries some heavy spicing plus some hops. I get something akin to a sage character out of it, and I can't say that I enjoy it all that much.

The flavor has the same character as the nose. There's a bit of a sharp spiciness to it that overwhelms the hops that are present. The heavy spicing is really prevalent in the feel, which is dry and a bit astringent. Others were a bigger fan than me, but I really could not get into this one.

Thorpe429, Feb 12, 2012

ygtbsm94, Feb 11, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

A- Clear, solid golden color with a tall white head that dissipates to a thin covering, leaving moderate patchy lacing behind.

N- Bursting with juicy citrus and bitter grapefruit rind after a fresh pour. As the volatiles wear off, undertones of dark spice, herbs, and fragrant flowers come to the front. Can't quite put my finger on the spices, but ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and black peppercorns all come to mind. The aroma also has an interesting mouth-watering saltiness to it. Soft resin and tropical fruit linger in the back.

T- Bitter grassy hops right from the start. The bitterness is firm, clinging to the tongue. The malt is rich and bready, but the bitterness overpowers it almost immediately. Lots of bitter grapefruit rind and pith, with a plenty of resin in the mix. Some juicy citrus adds a refreshing touch, softening the bitterness a bit. The spices are soft and reminiscent of cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Also a nice floral presence pervades the palate. The finish is long and bone-dry, with lingering herbal, resinous bitterness, black peppercorns, and grain.

M- Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, and a bone-dry finish.

O- Definitely a well-made beer. The spices are integrated perfectly into a dry, bitter IPA that is sure to please any hophead. Twelve ounces leaves you craving more.

KevinBrewer, Feb 11, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +17.1%

A- Slightly darker then straw yellow with a slight haze. Chunky lacing and small thin head.

S- The smell of hops is right there very floral and in your face. I feel like I smell Citra hops. Something very herbal and lemony. I wonder if sorachi ace is also lightly used as well.

T- Great hop taste, more bittering hop presence once you taste the beer. I'm feeling like they used citra, semicoe, and sorachi ace for the hops. I used the same hop variety I listed in a beer I made and the hop flavor profile is similar. Pretty solid brew. I'm not tasting too many spices but I'm getting a hint of coriander.

M- Good carbination. Feels good in the mouth, the hoppyness is nice on your tastebuds, and not enough to kill them off.

O- Solid brew. The ABV is well hidden, and I can see drinking more of this no problem.

Wetpaperbag, Feb 05, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

Rhcp1072, Feb 01, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

drewone, Jan 29, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +18.6%

Appearance: (4.0)
- Pours a nice clean and clear light amber orange. Finger of thick foamy head sits around a bit and creates a foamy and frothy thin blanket with lacing all about the glass. Certainly a clean and crisp pretty beer.

Smell: (4.0)
- When I had this on tap, the first thing I noticed was a wonderful hop punch to the face. Has a nice tea and cinnamon/clove aroma mixed in with an herbal earthy character. Hops add a nice pine and citrus flare along with a lightly sweet caramel and bready wheat grain. All melds together very well, and the hops are wonderful.

Taste: (4.0)
- Balance is the key word in this beers flavor. The spiced tea, bitter and not so-bitter hops, sweet malt, grain character, and more black tea all blend extremely well in this beer. In the beginning i thought the tea might be a bit too strong, but it all really does balance out. Zesty pine and citrus hops, malt that isn't too sweet, and cinnamon herbal clovy goodness.

Mouth Feel: (4.5)
- This beer is crisp, and is a light drinker for being 7% ABV. The bitterness in the finish dries the mouth and creates a nice chewy profile. It's not really sticky at all which is nice. Perfectly carbonated and drinkable.

Overall: (4.5)
- Has to be my favorite in the series, and it seems I keep saying that with each new Rotator Series release. This is well balanced folks, easy to drink, is their hoppiest yet I believe, and tastes great while packing a punch. Hardly any alcohol flavors at all. Get it when it hits the shelves in just a little over a month.

Docer, Jan 25, 2012