Raspberry Russian Imperial Stout - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

good

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.30% ABV

(Beer added by: smulkowski on 03-25-2012)
View: Beers (80) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
harrymel

Washington

2.35/5  rDev -34.4%

Bottled 13FEB12
Pours a black beer with a solid quilt of tan foam. Smells of leather, coffee, black malts, maybe when I really focus, some berry comes through - but I almost feel like I'm trying to convince myself. Flavor of burnt malts, dark, really dark chocolate, coffee and the slightest hint of raspberry (this time not convincing myself). Taste is overly bitter for what I would expect from a fruited beer. Medium bodied and moderately carbed with a semi dry finish. Overall, this beer does not strike as the beer advertised. A previous review mentioned possible pedigree to KGB, wouldn't suprised me as much as I disliked this beer, but it wasn't nearly as poor as KGB for me. I will argue they missed the mark on the berries, and the bitter characters were overplayed. Needed a little sweetness, berry flavor and body with a hint less carb.

04-20-2012 15:57:50 | More by harrymel
Rifugium

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Poured a dark brown-black with a thick, foamy, cinnamon-colored head; nice retention and a thick blanket of lacing on the glass. Typical stout aroma, dark malts, moderately roasty. Dark chocolate and roasty malts in the taste, and a definite, permeating raspberry flavor that was more tart than sweet; surprising citrusy hop bitterness in the finish. Pretty smooth, on the heavier side of medium-bodied, and fairly good overall, though probably not something I'd want to revisit often. Bottle version had a lot less raspberry and a lot more bitterness.

04-18-2012 00:52:12 | More by Rifugium

04-07-2012 17:16:38 | More by acurtis
Docer

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: (4.5)

- Pours a very dark jet-brown & black. A couple of pretty fingers of head formed which were a nice light mocha color. The head was rather spotty and mousse-like, like a fine dessert. The head slowly settles with lace all about the glass, and some spotty foam mixed in with an even paper-tin layer.

Smell: (4.0)

- Lots of roasted malt and a biscuit-like scent. Coffee seems to be a big aroma, while a soft and very subtle touch of tart currants and raspberry sit in the background. I like that this isn't melting my nose hairs like say - Widberry (Though I liked that beer). As it sits and warms a little, the raspberry really starts to shine. Smells very well blended and balanced.

Taste: (4.0)

- Yes. Very good. Lovely bittering hops which have a light grassy and earthy touch, balanced perfectly with a lightly sweet malt. Light chocolate, biscuit, and a touch of coffee make for a good base stout. The raspberry flavor is just the right strength. This is dangerously balanced. There is a slight tart quality about the raspberry, but it fits the stout very well. Certainly bitter! Sure some of that would settle over time, but it doesn't need to.

Mouth Feel: (4.0)

- This is lighter bodied than most imperial stouts. I personally find most of Widmer's stronger beers to be rather light in body compared to others, especially the last KGB stout release. This one has a heavier body than the KGB. Medium body, slightly drying while a touch cloying, and has a slight chalky texture to it. Overall it is nicely carbonated, and very easy to drink.

Overall: (4.0)

- Overall I am impressed with this beer. It is very tasty, very well balanced, and very easy to drink. It is sure to be a hit, even with the coming Spring days. One of my more favored beers of the last Brother's Reserve Series beers, and now the Alchemy Project. Still hard to top that 25th Anniversary Double Alt though. I really loved that beer. Get a few of these, and share them with many friends! It is sure to please even the most finicky of drinkers. And no, the fact that I was given this beer did not cause an increase in review marks.

04-03-2012 03:51:28 | More by Docer
smulkowski

Idaho

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a growler from Enoteca in Post Falls, ID. The beer poured typically black and thick...I'd like to say that there was a but of a purple or blue tinge to the glass, but I'm probably imagining it. I'm not sure about the pedigree of this stout, but it very much reminds me of the Widmer KGB releases - I would be unsurprised to hear they are one and the same, with the addition of some raspberries before and after brewing.

This beer is pretty thin for being an imperial stout. The alcohol is relatively well masked. It smells slightly roasty, but I don't get a ton of aroma for this. The head is a bit anorexic. The flavor is not overwhelming. I would expect a beer of this stlye and ABV to have a great deal more character.

I think this is an enjoyable beer, but it seems a bit thin and tenuous for an imperial stout. Perhaps this is an imperial stout for novices?

03-25-2012 04:55:16 | More by smulkowski