Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 461 | Reviews: 96
3.61/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer was good and it did what it was supposed to. I liked the taste but it was a little... i dunno weak i guess. I wouldn't know I was drinking a gluten free beer.

2.61/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle

clear copper color, little head. smell is not too appealing, a bit grainy and stale smelling. No hop aroma at all. Smells almost like it used corn as an adjunct, but the label claims not. not a great flavored taste either. Okay body and mouthfeel

3.76/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but I still only would up with a measly finger of foamy, tawny head with limited retention. At least, it left nice lacing before it disappeared. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a fantastic mintiness and a definite appeal as this G-F weekend winds down for yours truly! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was moderately hoppy, but it tasted as though it had somehow been dialed back to appeal to a non-hophead audience. Still, it was far and away better than many G-F beers that I had tried up to this point. I was really digging the way they had managed to incorporate a moderate hoppiness into a style (? G-F) that until now, I might have written off as being for those with a commitment. Finish was semi-dry and completely satisfying. I would drink this more often if it were not for a concern that I was taking away someone else's rations.

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ok but an IPA that lacks bite.

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Tastes watery and pours like a soda, not a fan, thankfully I'm not gluten free

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Caramel malt flavor. Not much going on after that.

2.79/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a pretty nice hops and malt aroma
Appearance- A dark golden color with a small white head.
Taste- This is where it disappoints, it is a beer flavor but has an odd aftertaste that takes away from the flavor.
Palate- A medium to light bodied brew with mild carbonation.
Overall- I didn't enjoy this beer, for those who need to go gluten free, I am sorry that this may be your only choice.

2.51/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

quite pale and lacking in the hops for an ipa but not bad... acceptable don't think ill buy it another time

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, light hops, bit of malts.Taste is balanced, caramel malts up front, some hops at the finish, not much bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a smooth and refreshing beer.

1.44/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Very sour tasting and pale look.

4.6/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For those like me that have to be gluten free, this beer kicks serious butt. I love Widmer and fine beers (well at least to until I couldn't have anything with Wheat, barley or Oats)... Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my favorites- Widmer Hefe and their winter / summer brews. As much as I love apples, hard cider is not my thing and some of the other GF beers taste like much of the bread products- awful. I did find that New Grist was palatable but then came along Omission. For those that love Widmer products, it has that taste that is indicative of imbibing on one of their regular, delicious beers. It took me back to the days when I could drink it and really, back to living in Portland and drinking more than my fair share while in College, at the Porthole (NE Portland) and the Sextant. I do wish there was a way to make GF Hefe but I am sure that is a dream LOL... Widmer wasn't my only indulgence as I also loved all things McMinnimums. Thank you Widmer for making this and allowing me to feel at least somewhat normal now that I am unable to consume most beer products.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

Needs gluten.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, the first Widmer product to make it into the Alberta market, and wouldn't you know it has to be a gluten-free offering.

This beer pours a mildly hazy, medium copper amber colour, with one stout finger of weakly puffy, and mostly just bubbly off-white head, which leaves some attractive ocean spray lace around the glass as it easily slips away.

It smells of reserved bready caramel malt, a soft biscuity graininess, orange cream, understated pine and leafy hop notes, and a tame earthy yeastiness. The taste is more semi-sweet bready caramel malt, dry biscuity saltines, an ethereal orange and neutered grapefruit fruitiness, well-faded yeast, and a surprisingly peppy earthy, leafy, and somewhat grassy hoppiness.

The bubbles are generally active and supportive in their straight-up frothiness, the body a decent medium weight for the style, and a bit too tacky to be deemed particularly smooth. It finishes rather dry, the biscuity nature starting to subsume the whole, as it were.

Another pleasantly rendered gluten-free ale, if it absolutely has to be done. Since they state on the label that this is made with 'malted barley, specially crafted to be gluten-free', I'm gonna lump this in with the enzyme removal method for further classification, since there are still residual (albeit below the governing body's standard) proteins flitting about here.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy light amber in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of caramel malts are present in the nose along with faint hints of floral hops.
T: Like the smell, the taste has some flavors of caramel malts and the hops mostly contribute a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Out of all of the gluten-free beers that I've tried so far, the Omission beers rank at the top because they don't have "off" flavors since they were brewed like a normal beer but the gluten was removed afterwards.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle, served cold into a pint glass while out for dinner in Buffalo, NY.

Appearance - mostly coppery in color, few visible bubbles. A half finger of white head that leaves behind a nice ring of lacing.

Smell - some citrusy hops, in particular a leafy quality. Otherwise aromas are subdued.

Taste - has the leafy hop quality again, but it seems to fall a bit flat for me. Mild malt flavour blended in.

Mouthfeel - smooth, but a bit flat and lacking carbonation.

Overall- not a bad APA , especially for a gluten- free beer. It's a bit lacking as far as APAs go but still worth a try especially for those with gluten sensitivities.

A decent Gluten-Free Pale Ale. Certainly drinkable, but the Omission Lager is preferable.

I'm no beer snob but I did grow up in WI and love Spotted Cow. That said, the gluten-free beers aren't in the same league. Still, Omission, if chilled in the freezer and served in an insulated mug that's also done some freezer time is more than passable. 'Cause sometimes, especially in TX, y'all just gotta have a cold beer.

3.69/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottled 1 Jul 14 at 35 degrees in a standard pint glass
Aroma of pine
Head average (3 cm), white, frothy, slowly diminishing to 2-4 mm frothy layer
Lacing good – narrow complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium orange, clear
Flavor begins with light pine flavor and bitterness, quickly fading; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 4, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5625. Final weighted score: 3.6875
A piney pleasant pale ale.

For gluten free I am very impressed. Very good solid beer althogether

This is currently the best by far of all the gluten free beers. This rates a 5 of 5. Overall, compared with all beers, this rates a 4.8 since it is an above average American Pale Ale.

Serving type - bottle 12 oz.
Glass used - tulip
Pours - clear copper color
Head - one finger, off-white, lasts 1-2 min.
Lacing - good
Aroma - citrus, baked bread, floral, hops
Taste - first medium bitter hops, light citrus, followed by light malt ending with hops;
crisp med. light mouthfeel, well balanced, 5.7 abv with no alcohol taste, very drinkable
Overall - best gluten free beer on the market and a very good pale ale for everyone to enjoy;
I will continue to purchase this one

Scoring (5 Max)
Look 5
Smell 4.5
Taste 5
Feel 4.5
Overall 5 for GF, 4.8 otherwise

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Very clear copper body. A light cream colored head, decent splotches of lacing.

Aroma: Very subdued, but a nice blend of caramel, fruitiness, and hops.

Taste: Like the aroma, well balanced with malty sweetness, some apple and cherry notes, and finally hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Well balanced and tasty, I did not mind having a sixer.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

(bottling date: Jun 10 2014 - poured into a tulip pint)

A: fairly clear, deep amber-hued liquid... perhaps a slight hop haze... rocky, frothy, creme-colored head... structure indicative hop high- or dry-hopping foremost

S: piney with round, fruity malts... toasty grain and overripe yellow grapefruit... overall, has the smell of a NW-hoppy English-style ale... mild spicy-floral highlights... comes across as a small brewery's flagship pale... touch of dirty sock long after

T: about what you'd expect, but cleaner... almost a spiced, honey graham aftertaste... little alcohol... up front, bright and inviting mellow hop bitterness with a earthy-grassy and citrus peel tone... the malt carries a touch of caramel and just hangs in the middle of the palate - the flavors don't move far past that point, as the finish just disappears before the back of the tongue

M: big and round, cottony hop resins... soft dancing of bubbles across the palate... muffled hop heat lingers in the back of the roof of the mouth... super dry, but notably cushiony

O: another pleasant surprise with these Omission beers (only have the IPA left to try)... I don't see why they can't craft a creative beer recipe and apply their tricks to that - the cost of lowering the gluten can't be that much... don't get me wrong, these beers have been solid, but pretty safe and textbook in their approach to taste... very 'sessionable' altogether, and that's likely the main goal here

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

I believe this is my first gluten free beer review, but I'm too lazy to check, so either way, here goes.

Clear and light brown to orange with a pretty good initial head, not much lacing, but not bad looking.

Aroma and taste aren't sufficiently different from any other random craft pale ale on a given day. This one is a bit tilted towards the malty side, with notable caramel malt, biscuit, bread, and some nice hops bite to balance it out. The website says they used cascade but I can't really say that this beer SCREAMS out cascade to me. There's certainly some citrus and citrus rind tho, and the hops balanced the beer out fine.

I can't say this beer is going to to wind up being world-class, but it's certainly tasty nonetheless. I wouldn't be at all opposed to someone showing up with a sixer of this, or with having this as the only beer available at whatever event. At this point I'm already half done with the glass, so I guess it's "thirst-quenching" too! Finish is a bit on the dry side with a crisp lingering bitterness.

Good to see someone is attempting to brew for celiac patients.

3.33/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tall ale Glass. Head relative thin but aromatic head. taste reminiscent of several Mexican brews. To me that is, Not a connoisseur but am a home brewer. I know from nothing about Gluten or Celiac disease.The 6 pack carrier clearly says not Gluten free. Something about less than 20 pts on some scale. Therefore I would have to really check it out if I had an aversion to gluten.
I would purchase AGAIN and will try to research the "gluten reducing enzyme" in order to brew at home.

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gluten free not a clue but a pale lets give it a whirl. Pours to an orange color with an off white head that recedes slowly and leaves a thick lacing. Smell is very sweet almost oktoberfest-like with a tarty background. On the taste this brew has a sweet starter with a bit of hopping evident in the middle slightly bitter but not not a real bite then finishes with a fading flat bitterness, we'll balanced with a malty base. A very malty pale ale, not much bitter hopping. Not really on for the style but a good drinking brew.

to view more.