Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 474 | Reviews: 100
4.22/5  rDev +25.6%

Pretty smooth, I was not expecting it to be good at all, but it surprised me.

2.71/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is about as good as you're going to find in a gluten-free beer. That doesn't mean it's going to ring any bells but it does taste the most authentic of all the ones I've tried. The others seem to use alternative grains that taste different and mess with your head. This one is at least somewhat more traditional tasting.

2.37/5  rDev -29.5%

Just.....nothing. Not great, not bad.

3.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

a very representive, flavorful example of a pale ale

3.61/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer was good and it did what it was supposed to. I liked the taste but it was a little... i dunno weak i guess. I wouldn't know I was drinking a gluten free beer.

2.61/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle

clear copper color, little head. smell is not too appealing, a bit grainy and stale smelling. No hop aroma at all. Smells almost like it used corn as an adjunct, but the label claims not. not a great flavored taste either. Okay body and mouthfeel

3.76/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but I still only would up with a measly finger of foamy, tawny head with limited retention. At least, it left nice lacing before it disappeared. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a fantastic mintiness and a definite appeal as this G-F weekend winds down for yours truly! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was moderately hoppy, but it tasted as though it had somehow been dialed back to appeal to a non-hophead audience. Still, it was far and away better than many G-F beers that I had tried up to this point. I was really digging the way they had managed to incorporate a moderate hoppiness into a style (? G-F) that until now, I might have written off as being for those with a commitment. Finish was semi-dry and completely satisfying. I would drink this more often if it were not for a concern that I was taking away someone else's rations.

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ok but an IPA that lacks bite.

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Tastes watery and pours like a soda, not a fan, thankfully I'm not gluten free

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Caramel malt flavor. Not much going on after that.

2.79/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a pretty nice hops and malt aroma
Appearance- A dark golden color with a small white head.
Taste- This is where it disappoints, it is a beer flavor but has an odd aftertaste that takes away from the flavor.
Palate- A medium to light bodied brew with mild carbonation.
Overall- I didn't enjoy this beer, for those who need to go gluten free, I am sorry that this may be your only choice.

2.51/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

quite pale and lacking in the hops for an ipa but not bad... acceptable don't think ill buy it another time

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, light hops, bit of malts.Taste is balanced, caramel malts up front, some hops at the finish, not much bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a smooth and refreshing beer.

1.44/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Very sour tasting and pale look.

4.6/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For those like me that have to be gluten free, this beer kicks serious butt. I love Widmer and fine beers (well at least to until I couldn't have anything with Wheat, barley or Oats)... Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my favorites- Widmer Hefe and their winter / summer brews. As much as I love apples, hard cider is not my thing and some of the other GF beers taste like much of the bread products- awful. I did find that New Grist was palatable but then came along Omission. For those that love Widmer products, it has that taste that is indicative of imbibing on one of their regular, delicious beers. It took me back to the days when I could drink it and really, back to living in Portland and drinking more than my fair share while in College, at the Porthole (NE Portland) and the Sextant. I do wish there was a way to make GF Hefe but I am sure that is a dream LOL... Widmer wasn't my only indulgence as I also loved all things McMinnimums. Thank you Widmer for making this and allowing me to feel at least somewhat normal now that I am unable to consume most beer products.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

Needs gluten.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, the first Widmer product to make it into the Alberta market, and wouldn't you know it has to be a gluten-free offering.

This beer pours a mildly hazy, medium copper amber colour, with one stout finger of weakly puffy, and mostly just bubbly off-white head, which leaves some attractive ocean spray lace around the glass as it easily slips away.

It smells of reserved bready caramel malt, a soft biscuity graininess, orange cream, understated pine and leafy hop notes, and a tame earthy yeastiness. The taste is more semi-sweet bready caramel malt, dry biscuity saltines, an ethereal orange and neutered grapefruit fruitiness, well-faded yeast, and a surprisingly peppy earthy, leafy, and somewhat grassy hoppiness.

The bubbles are generally active and supportive in their straight-up frothiness, the body a decent medium weight for the style, and a bit too tacky to be deemed particularly smooth. It finishes rather dry, the biscuity nature starting to subsume the whole, as it were.

Another pleasantly rendered gluten-free ale, if it absolutely has to be done. Since they state on the label that this is made with 'malted barley, specially crafted to be gluten-free', I'm gonna lump this in with the enzyme removal method for further classification, since there are still residual (albeit below the governing body's standard) proteins flitting about here.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy light amber in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of caramel malts are present in the nose along with faint hints of floral hops.
T: Like the smell, the taste has some flavors of caramel malts and the hops mostly contribute a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Out of all of the gluten-free beers that I've tried so far, the Omission beers rank at the top because they don't have "off" flavors since they were brewed like a normal beer but the gluten was removed afterwards.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle, served cold into a pint glass while out for dinner in Buffalo, NY.

Appearance - mostly coppery in color, few visible bubbles. A half finger of white head that leaves behind a nice ring of lacing.

Smell - some citrusy hops, in particular a leafy quality. Otherwise aromas are subdued.

Taste - has the leafy hop quality again, but it seems to fall a bit flat for me. Mild malt flavour blended in.

Mouthfeel - smooth, but a bit flat and lacking carbonation.

Overall- not a bad APA , especially for a gluten- free beer. It's a bit lacking as far as APAs go but still worth a try especially for those with gluten sensitivities.

A decent Gluten-Free Pale Ale. Certainly drinkable, but the Omission Lager is preferable.

I'm no beer snob but I did grow up in WI and love Spotted Cow. That said, the gluten-free beers aren't in the same league. Still, Omission, if chilled in the freezer and served in an insulated mug that's also done some freezer time is more than passable. 'Cause sometimes, especially in TX, y'all just gotta have a cold beer.

3.69/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottled 1 Jul 14 at 35 degrees in a standard pint glass
Aroma of pine
Head average (3 cm), white, frothy, slowly diminishing to 2-4 mm frothy layer
Lacing good – narrow complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium orange, clear
Flavor begins with light pine flavor and bitterness, quickly fading; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 4, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5625. Final weighted score: 3.6875
A piney pleasant pale ale.

For gluten free I am very impressed. Very good solid beer althogether

This is currently the best by far of all the gluten free beers. This rates a 5 of 5. Overall, compared with all beers, this rates a 4.8 since it is an above average American Pale Ale.

Serving type - bottle 12 oz.
Glass used - tulip
Pours - clear copper color
Head - one finger, off-white, lasts 1-2 min.
Lacing - good
Aroma - citrus, baked bread, floral, hops
Taste - first medium bitter hops, light citrus, followed by light malt ending with hops;
crisp med. light mouthfeel, well balanced, 5.7 abv with no alcohol taste, very drinkable
Overall - best gluten free beer on the market and a very good pale ale for everyone to enjoy;
I will continue to purchase this one

Scoring (5 Max)
Look 5
Smell 4.5
Taste 5
Feel 4.5
Overall 5 for GF, 4.8 otherwise

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Very clear copper body. A light cream colored head, decent splotches of lacing.

Aroma: Very subdued, but a nice blend of caramel, fruitiness, and hops.

Taste: Like the aroma, well balanced with malty sweetness, some apple and cherry notes, and finally hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Well balanced and tasty, I did not mind having a sixer.

to view more.