Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

good

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012

This is currently the best by far of all the gluten free beers. This rates a 5 of 5. Overall, compared with all beers, this rates a 4.8 since it is an above average American Pale Ale.

Serving type - bottle 12 oz.
Glass used - tulip
Pours - clear copper color
Head - one finger, off-white, lasts 1-2 min.
Lacing - good
Aroma - citrus, baked bread, floral, hops
Taste - first medium bitter hops, light citrus, followed by light malt ending with hops;
crisp med. light mouthfeel, well balanced, 5.7 abv with no alcohol taste, very drinkable
Overall - best gluten free beer on the market and a very good pale ale for everyone to enjoy;
I will continue to purchase this one

Scoring (5 Max)
Look 5
Smell 4.5
Taste 5
Feel 4.5
Overall 5 for GF, 4.8 otherwise (765 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +36.2%

Great beer. I'm not too picky but this is my favorite beer of all time. I always buy this when I go to the store great Pale Ale a must try for anyone gluten intolerant or not. It has medium hops and definitely has bitterness to it. Decent alcohol content at 5.8 and feels great going down the hatch. (299 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For those like me that have to be gluten free, this beer kicks serious butt. I love Widmer and fine beers (well at least to until I couldn't have anything with Wheat, barley or Oats)... Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my favorites- Widmer Hefe and their winter / summer brews. As much as I love apples, hard cider is not my thing and some of the other GF beers taste like much of the bread products- awful. I did find that New Grist was palatable but then came along Omission. For those that love Widmer products, it has that taste that is indicative of imbibing on one of their regular, delicious beers. It took me back to the days when I could drink it and really, back to living in Portland and drinking more than my fair share while in College, at the Porthole (NE Portland) and the Sextant. I do wish there was a way to make GF Hefe but I am sure that is a dream LOL... Widmer wasn't my only indulgence as I also loved all things McMinnimums. Thank you Widmer for making this and allowing me to feel at least somewhat normal now that I am unable to consume most beer products. (1,081 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

A little low on the ABV side but made up for it in flavor and IPA taste. I recently started consuming gluten-free products, and I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with this beer. (182 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +18.4%

Bottled 27APR12

Intrigued by their attempt, apparently a new process allows for a more authentic profile.

Pours orange amber with an etched surface. Nice nose up front, crisp and hoppy with apple and grapefruit. Some tea and malty undertones. Flavor is malty (not expected) and sweet with herbal and bitter hop components. I'm down with the flavor here, really approachable! Medium bodied with hi carb and a semi dry finish. Great quality, surprised, gonna have to try the lager.

I'm happy to see a gluten free option sans shitty flavor. Well considered and thoughtfully crafted. I expect this to be a limited addition to the line in lieu of the gluten free craze sweeping the US right now, but it's a welcome one in my opinion. A great option for the celiac's right here folks. (782 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +17.5%

Wow, first of all I must say that I'm surprised at low this brew rates amongst my fellow advocates since - in spite of the natural discomfort that the gimmicky aspect of this beer might cause - I still consider this one to be well above average on the most relevant ( in my eyes at least) criterion - complexity and balance.

Now having said that, this is still not Elite. Its strong point is Its elusive complexity - took me some third party remarks to really take notice of some of the more subtle tropical fruit notes. Profile wise this beer is at a crossway between the English (think flowers and honey), American (strong citrusy character mostly tangerine / orange) and Kiwi (Mango comes to mind) Pale ales' traditional profile with a lovely, soft carbonation, unobtrusive bitterness and assertive flowery aftertaste.

Deserves more respect, in my opinion. (861 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +16.7%

Love Spotted Cow, but this is the best Gluten Free beer I've tried. Rated it a 4 in terms of gluten free beers rather than overall beers. A little pricey, but worth it. (168 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Ah ha! I stumbled upon their secret on their website. It has been brewed with barley and the gluten removed probably via flocculation. Whether or not it is really gluten free and the ELISA test is accurate is debatable. If you have hardcore Celiacs, you will want to do more research into the contents of this beer and the fact that recently ELISA testing methods have been questioned as to whether or not they are 100% effective. For me, this is a great alternative as I don't think that I have full blown Celiacs. I haven't been tested as I haven't had medical benefits for a while. But it's nice to know that gluten can be mostly flocculated out with natural additives that are also used for clearing up your beer. I'm pretty sure that they are natural. Don't quote me on that.

The beer pours a coppery amber color and is crystal clear with an off-white thin head that fades to a ring and a tiny Friar Tuck type center cap. After a while it starts to fade, but while doing so during the drink it leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is an extremely pleasant and balance mix of floral west coast hops with a bit of caramel malt sweetness and the tiniest aroma of citrus. It's quite nice.

This beer is an APA. It starts off a little flat with a hop bite and as it moves across the tongue the malt sweetness comes through while the citrusy hoppy flavor stays along for the ride. The finish is a little flat and dry with a little bit of black pepper, but it's pretty well balanced.

As for mouthfeel and body, well, the body is a little light. If you put it side by side with your avarage APA you'd think it was a little watery. It is, however, mildly sweet balanced with hops and is a great alternative for gluten intolerants like me. I hate to use the word "Glutards" as it grates on my soul to think that most people think this is all in our heads and we should just "man up" and eat pizza. Can I hear an "AMEN" from all the Glutards? How many think you are crazy too? Has the term "bitch-slap" ever crossed your mind in relation to such folks? Anyway, this is great. The carbonation is moderate and not too lively.

Overall, I'd say that this is the best Gluten Free that I have had, BUT is it really gluten free? That is the question. It is more like a modifed American Pale Ale. If judging by APA standards, I'd say that it was watery. That is not always a bad thing because it makes the beer sessionable. Will I seek this beer out again, HAYLE yes! In the gluten free realm, this beer scores overall 4.25, or better, out of 5. In the APA world, 3.6 or so. (2,569 characters)

A - light orangish amber with a thin, white layer of head

S - bready and sweet

T - bready, sweet, very faint bitterness

M - light to medium bodied, well carbonated, smooth

I'm a bit beside myself with this one. I can't believe it's gluten free. I buy every gluten free beer I see for my wife, and this is by far one of the best. It's one-dimensional for sure, but that one dimension is bready, tasty malt. My wife liked it as well so I'll be buying this again. (464 characters)

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a slightly chill hazed caramel-copper coloring with a decent, frothy, light, white head that settles into a film coating along the surface and the sides of the glass. Aromas of rich and roasted caramel and toffee, with a spicy, resiny hops presence that cleans and balances. Flavors are just as balanced, with a caramel sweet initial offering that is quickly swept up by a peppered and resiny hops characteristic. Floral highlights give even more layering to the hops anchor of the palate, and there are citrus tones sprinkled amongst all of this, too. Very tasty and balanced. The aftertaste is light and smooth, with more of a malt presence than you get throughout the rest of the brew. Light, clean finish with a bitter, crisp ending. Very smooth, very tasty, and very easy to drink. (840 characters)

I'm no beer snob but I did grow up in WI and love Spotted Cow. That said, the gluten-free beers aren't in the same league. Still, Omission, if chilled in the freezer and served in an insulated mug that's also done some freezer time is more than passable. 'Cause sometimes, especially in TX, y'all just gotta have a cold beer. (326 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +14.7%

I grabbed a single bottle not knowing this was gluten-free.
It looks pretty average. Very little lacing.
Smell is very piney, citrusy. Juniper likely.
It has a lot of bitterness but at the same time, seems light.
The citrus makes the mouth feel very clean.
Overall, it is very sessionable especially for you looking for a beer to go with Mexican food and not wanting to settle for industrial. (393 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Perfect Pint:

A=Honey colored, very slight cloudiness, and a two finger head that lasted well over a minute...I found it inviting.

S=Sweet, citrusy--lemon and orange--but not artificial...very appealing.

T=Definite sweet butter flavor, with citrus and herbal notes--particularly peach. A bit more hops than others also dominated the taste.

M=Above average body with modest carbonation...smoothness and creaminess offset by heavier body and herbal hop notes...not a session beer.

O=A decent beer that might pair well with barbecued meats or saltier foods...a bit too sweet for me to drink on a regular basis, but worth trying if you haven't found a gluten-free beer that suits your taste. (720 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +13.8%

In a land of cider-esque GF "beer", I have to say it's one of the best that I've tried. It actually tastes like beer! Lovely amber color, nice head, decent mouthfeel, really smooth finish. Drank it with food (tamari and sesame glazed salmon) and it was a very nice accompaniment. This will be a staple in my household for sure. (327 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottled June 1, 2012:

Into my nonic:

A: golden orange body leaves a one finger white head appears and lasts for about twenty seconds. No carbonation is seen rising. No lacing is left behind.

S: centers around yeasty bread and pine. Some other citrusy notes come out as the beer warms.

T: pine and hops up front giving a slight zesty appeal. Some floral citrusy tones come out stronger as the beer warms.

M: medium with nothing harsh on the tongue.

O: even though I bought this by accident, this isn't bad. If I ever had a problem with wheat, I wouldn't mind drinking this for the rest of my life. (602 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +12.4%

There's a joke that says that gluten is another word for flavor and gluten free means it tastes bad. I actually had no idea this was gluten free and anticipated reviewing this highly despite the finding.

Very coppery in appearance the head was sort of fizzy and built well but soon collapsed with no lacing or so much as a bubble.

The scent was strong barley with some roasted grain and nuttiness. No real hop scent to speak of.

This has a deeply satisfying and robust barley, bran and nut flavor. Touches of roasted and toasted grains settle well with the pronounced barley flavor. There is a hint of hops at the very end that holds piney through the aftertaste and adds authenticity to this Pale Ale. The feel is robust and flavorful but also crisp and refreshing. (769 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Rich amber with decent off-white head.

Smell: Mild citrus with some toasted, grainy malt.

Taste: Tastes exactly like the typical American Pale Ale, which means it tastes damn good. Nice mix of citrusy hops and toasted malts. Finish is spicy and somewhat bitter. Really tastes about halfway between SN Pale Ale and Kona Fire Rock. Does not taste gluten free at all.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, nice dry finish.

Overall: This is a straight down the middle Pale Ale - no flourishes, nothing out of the ordinary, just very well executed. And considering this is made for those with gluten issues, I am not surprised they went the more safe route. I think some are suppressing their scores because this is gluten free, which is ridiculous. While I do not have to avoid gluten, if I did, this would be my staple. (887 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

(bottling date: Jun 10 2014 - poured into a tulip pint)

A: fairly clear, deep amber-hued liquid... perhaps a slight hop haze... rocky, frothy, creme-colored head... structure indicative hop high- or dry-hopping foremost

S: piney with round, fruity malts... toasty grain and overripe yellow grapefruit... overall, has the smell of a NW-hoppy English-style ale... mild spicy-floral highlights... comes across as a small brewery's flagship pale... touch of dirty sock long after

T: about what you'd expect, but cleaner... almost a spiced, honey graham aftertaste... little alcohol... up front, bright and inviting mellow hop bitterness with a earthy-grassy and citrus peel tone... the malt carries a touch of caramel and just hangs in the middle of the palate - the flavors don't move far past that point, as the finish just disappears before the back of the tongue

M: big and round, cottony hop resins... soft dancing of bubbles across the palate... muffled hop heat lingers in the back of the roof of the mouth... super dry, but notably cushiony

O: another pleasant surprise with these Omission beers (only have the IPA left to try)... I don't see why they can't craft a creative beer recipe and apply their tricks to that - the cost of lowering the gluten can't be that much... don't get me wrong, these beers have been solid, but pretty safe and textbook in their approach to taste... very 'sessionable' altogether, and that's likely the main goal here (1,458 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a nice haze to the body and a strong effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy ivory foam.

Smell: sweetish malty aroma with a light, fresh hop component. Nothing revolutionary but quite nice, especially for a gluten-free.

Taste: sweet malty flavor with a wet-hopped type of character. Hops are green and a combination of grassy and earthy. The tartness that often accompanies gluten-free beers is nowhere to be found. Actually quite a decent pale ale.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a great big carbonation and a big, mouth-filling creaminess. Quite good indeed.

Overall: what can I say? This has got to be the best gluten-free beer I've ever had. (734 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a really nice golden orange with a one finger plus head. Decent retention, and a nice lace. Nose is of bready malts, with notes of fruity citrus hops. Body is on the heavier side of medium with some carbonation. Taste is a really good balance of malt and hops. Grapefruit in the finish. Nice Gluten free or not. (317 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden hue with visible carbonation floating up towards a thin off-white head.

Aroma: Not too much on the nose. A little biscuit and just a hint of earthy hops.

Taste: Not bad for gluten-free! Starts a tad bready with some nice earthy hop overtones. The hops overtake the malt a bit in the second half but a nice balance remains throughout. Average bitterness for the style, probably around 20-30 IBUs (their website lists it at 33 IBUs). Not getting the fruity/tropical notes I'd expect from Citra and Cascade hops but perhaps the process of removing the gluten from the grains affects the hop character. I'm not usually a big fan of straight up Pale Ales (more of an IPA guy) but the fact that it is gluten-free and has this much good flavor is surprising. Nice smooth and decently clean finish. Very sessionable at 5.8%.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with average effervescence for the style. Easy drinking.

Final Thoughts: I would recommend Omission Pale Ale to any easy going beer drinker; gluten intolerant or not. It's a worthy beer for anyones glass and hat's off to the brewers who figured out a way of removing the gluten. Would I drink it again? Sure… now, if they could only come out with an IPA. (1,247 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pale amber color. A little hazy. Big, foamy, cream colored head that fades, but not completely. Good lacing.

Smells like a piece of yeast rich bread. That's not a bad thing, though.

Tastes and feels like an average to above average APA.

I enjoyed this beer at face value. The gluten free aspect takes it to another level of appreciation, however. I have friends who must eat gluten free, and who also love beer. This has been an issue, to say the least. Very appreciative of Widmer Brothers for making a good GF beer. I'm giving it another half a point for being GF. Maybe that's too much, but gluten ain't not joke for some people. (636 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

im going to go out on a limb and say this is outstanding beer. its not marketed as gluten free, and certainly doesnt seem to be lacking anything at all. it is pale amber and crystal clear. it smells like a well balanced american pale ale, less hoppy than some, but with a nice citrusy hop profile playign against a light pale malt complexion. the flavor is also nicely balanced, getting a refreshing degree of bitter at the end. its not watery at all, and is in fact a fairly sturdy brew in both body and abv. in a blind taste test i would think this was a quality east coast pale ale, smuttynose or something. it really is good, insanely drinkable. light enough to slam but flavorful enough to appreciate. trust me on this one. (728 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle with a born on date of 8/7/13; into a pint glass.
Appearance - a surprisingly hazy orange. A mild, foamy white head with a bit of red sediment on the foam. Lacing is scattered.
Smell - surprisingly pleasant citrus hops nose, with a touch of sweet bread!
Taste - wow, I'm shocked by how good this is! Refreshing and balanced blend of hops and malts!
Feel - a fairly complex feel that works well for the style.
Overall - this is my first gluten free beer (not having by choice, rather because someone brought it over and left in my fridge!). Needless to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised! An outstanding introduction to a GF brew! (650 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is another gluten-free beer from Widmer Brothers and it looks very much like a beer pouring brilliant gold with a thin white head. It also smells like a beer with fruit, grain and faint hops. On the palate I can tell the barley malt is missing and I miss it. (263 characters)

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company