Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012)
vtn

District of Columbia

02-23-2013 20:40:27 | More by vtn
Bobthebuilder

4.78/5  rDev +41.4%

Great beer. I'm not too picky but this is my favorite beer of all time. I always buy this when I go to the store great Pale Ale a must try for anyone gluten intolerant or not. It has medium hops and definitely has bitterness to it. Decent alcohol content at 5.8 and feels great going down the hatch.

11-23-2013 10:48:12 | More by Bobthebuilder

06-02-2013 22:56:47 | More by hopley
harrymel

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

Bottled 27APR12

Intrigued by their attempt, apparently a new process allows for a more authentic profile.

Pours orange amber with an etched surface. Nice nose up front, crisp and hoppy with apple and grapefruit. Some tea and malty undertones. Flavor is malty (not expected) and sweet with herbal and bitter hop components. I'm down with the flavor here, really approachable! Medium bodied with hi carb and a semi dry finish. Great quality, surprised, gonna have to try the lager.

I'm happy to see a gluten free option sans shitty flavor. Well considered and thoughtfully crafted. I expect this to be a limited addition to the line in lieu of the gluten free craze sweeping the US right now, but it's a welcome one in my opinion. A great option for the celiac's right here folks.

06-01-2012 15:42:11 | More by harrymel
endovelico

Portugal

4.08/5  rDev +20.7%

Wow, first of all I must say that I'm surprised at low this brew rates amongst my fellow advocates since - in spite of the natural discomfort that the gimmicky aspect of this beer might cause - I still consider this one to be well above average on the most relevant ( in my eyes at least) criterion - complexity and balance.

Now having said that, this is still not Elite. Its strong point is Its elusive complexity - took me some third party remarks to really take notice of some of the more subtle tropical fruit notes. Profile wise this beer is at a crossway between the English (think flowers and honey), American (strong citrusy character mostly tangerine / orange) and Kiwi (Mango comes to mind) Pale ales' traditional profile with a lovely, soft carbonation, unobtrusive bitterness and assertive flowery aftertaste.

Deserves more respect, in my opinion.

03-25-2014 23:46:52 | More by endovelico
WissBrauSean

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

Ah ha! I stumbled upon their secret on their website. It has been brewed with barley and the gluten removed probably via flocculation. Whether or not it is really gluten free and the ELISA test is accurate is debatable. If you have hardcore Celiacs, you will want to do more research into the contents of this beer and the fact that recently ELISA testing methods have been questioned as to whether or not they are 100% effective. For me, this is a great alternative as I don't think that I have full blown Celiacs. I haven't been tested as I haven't had medical benefits for a while. But it's nice to know that gluten can be mostly flocculated out with natural additives that are also used for clearing up your beer. I'm pretty sure that they are natural. Don't quote me on that.

The beer pours a coppery amber color and is crystal clear with an off-white thin head that fades to a ring and a tiny Friar Tuck type center cap. After a while it starts to fade, but while doing so during the drink it leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is an extremely pleasant and balance mix of floral west coast hops with a bit of caramel malt sweetness and the tiniest aroma of citrus. It's quite nice.

This beer is an APA. It starts off a little flat with a hop bite and as it moves across the tongue the malt sweetness comes through while the citrusy hoppy flavor stays along for the ride. The finish is a little flat and dry with a little bit of black pepper, but it's pretty well balanced.

As for mouthfeel and body, well, the body is a little light. If you put it side by side with your avarage APA you'd think it was a little watery. It is, however, mildly sweet balanced with hops and is a great alternative for gluten intolerants like me. I hate to use the word "Glutards" as it grates on my soul to think that most people think this is all in our heads and we should just "man up" and eat pizza. Can I hear an "AMEN" from all the Glutards? How many think you are crazy too? Has the term "bitch-slap" ever crossed your mind in relation to such folks? Anyway, this is great. The carbonation is moderate and not too lively.

Overall, I'd say that this is the best Gluten Free that I have had, BUT is it really gluten free? That is the question. It is more like a modifed American Pale Ale. If judging by APA standards, I'd say that it was watery. That is not always a bad thing because it makes the beer sessionable. Will I seek this beer out again, HAYLE yes! In the gluten free realm, this beer scores overall 4.25, or better, out of 5. In the APA world, 3.6 or so.

03-12-2013 00:22:10 | More by WissBrauSean

Rivenin

Oregon

06-28-2013 22:00:30 | More by Rivenin
tdm168

A - light orangish amber with a thin, white layer of head

S - bready and sweet

T - bready, sweet, very faint bitterness

M - light to medium bodied, well carbonated, smooth

I'm a bit beside myself with this one. I can't believe it's gluten free. I buy every gluten free beer I see for my wife, and this is by far one of the best. It's one-dimensional for sure, but that one dimension is bready, tasty malt. My wife liked it as well so I'll be buying this again.

09-14-2012 08:18:55 | More by tdm168

jnoelani

08-17-2012 05:27:14 | More by jnoelani
mastodonj

Colorado

I grabbed a single bottle not knowing this was gluten-free.
It looks pretty average. Very little lacing.
Smell is very piney, citrusy. Juniper likely.
It has a lot of bitterness but at the same time, seems light.
The citrus makes the mouth feel very clean.
Overall, it is very sessionable especially for you looking for a beer to go with Mexican food and not wanting to settle for industrial.

10-31-2012 01:35:39 | More by mastodonj