Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012)

This is currently the best by far of all the gluten free beers. This rates a 5 of 5. Overall, compared with all beers, this rates a 4.8 since it is an above average American Pale Ale.

Serving type - bottle 12 oz.
Glass used - tulip
Pours - clear copper color
Head - one finger, off-white, lasts 1-2 min.
Lacing - good
Aroma - citrus, baked bread, floral, hops
Taste - first medium bitter hops, light citrus, followed by light malt ending with hops;
crisp med. light mouthfeel, well balanced, 5.7 abv with no alcohol taste, very drinkable
Overall - best gluten free beer on the market and a very good pale ale for everyone to enjoy;
I will continue to purchase this one

Scoring (5 Max)
Overall 5 for GF, 4.8 otherwise

pops28078, Sep 02, 2014

vtn, Feb 23, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +41%

Great beer. I'm not too picky but this is my favorite beer of all time. I always buy this when I go to the store great Pale Ale a must try for anyone gluten intolerant or not. It has medium hops and definitely has bitterness to it. Decent alcohol content at 5.8 and feels great going down the hatch.

Bobthebuilder, Nov 23, 2013

NCbeerpirate, Dec 01, 2012

hopley, Jun 02, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +21.8%

Bottled 27APR12

Intrigued by their attempt, apparently a new process allows for a more authentic profile.

Pours orange amber with an etched surface. Nice nose up front, crisp and hoppy with apple and grapefruit. Some tea and malty undertones. Flavor is malty (not expected) and sweet with herbal and bitter hop components. I'm down with the flavor here, really approachable! Medium bodied with hi carb and a semi dry finish. Great quality, surprised, gonna have to try the lager.

I'm happy to see a gluten free option sans shitty flavor. Well considered and thoughtfully crafted. I expect this to be a limited addition to the line in lieu of the gluten free craze sweeping the US right now, but it's a welcome one in my opinion. A great option for the celiac's right here folks.

harrymel, Jun 01, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +20.4%

Wow, first of all I must say that I'm surprised at low this brew rates amongst my fellow advocates since - in spite of the natural discomfort that the gimmicky aspect of this beer might cause - I still consider this one to be well above average on the most relevant ( in my eyes at least) criterion - complexity and balance.

Now having said that, this is still not Elite. Its strong point is Its elusive complexity - took me some third party remarks to really take notice of some of the more subtle tropical fruit notes. Profile wise this beer is at a crossway between the English (think flowers and honey), American (strong citrusy character mostly tangerine / orange) and Kiwi (Mango comes to mind) Pale ales' traditional profile with a lovely, soft carbonation, unobtrusive bitterness and assertive flowery aftertaste.

Deserves more respect, in my opinion.

endovelico, Mar 25, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Ah ha! I stumbled upon their secret on their website. It has been brewed with barley and the gluten removed probably via flocculation. Whether or not it is really gluten free and the ELISA test is accurate is debatable. If you have hardcore Celiacs, you will want to do more research into the contents of this beer and the fact that recently ELISA testing methods have been questioned as to whether or not they are 100% effective. For me, this is a great alternative as I don't think that I have full blown Celiacs. I haven't been tested as I haven't had medical benefits for a while. But it's nice to know that gluten can be mostly flocculated out with natural additives that are also used for clearing up your beer. I'm pretty sure that they are natural. Don't quote me on that.

The beer pours a coppery amber color and is crystal clear with an off-white thin head that fades to a ring and a tiny Friar Tuck type center cap. After a while it starts to fade, but while doing so during the drink it leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is an extremely pleasant and balance mix of floral west coast hops with a bit of caramel malt sweetness and the tiniest aroma of citrus. It's quite nice.

This beer is an APA. It starts off a little flat with a hop bite and as it moves across the tongue the malt sweetness comes through while the citrusy hoppy flavor stays along for the ride. The finish is a little flat and dry with a little bit of black pepper, but it's pretty well balanced.

As for mouthfeel and body, well, the body is a little light. If you put it side by side with your avarage APA you'd think it was a little watery. It is, however, mildly sweet balanced with hops and is a great alternative for gluten intolerants like me. I hate to use the word "Glutards" as it grates on my soul to think that most people think this is all in our heads and we should just "man up" and eat pizza. Can I hear an "AMEN" from all the Glutards? How many think you are crazy too? Has the term "bitch-slap" ever crossed your mind in relation to such folks? Anyway, this is great. The carbonation is moderate and not too lively.

Overall, I'd say that this is the best Gluten Free that I have had, BUT is it really gluten free? That is the question. It is more like a modifed American Pale Ale. If judging by APA standards, I'd say that it was watery. That is not always a bad thing because it makes the beer sessionable. Will I seek this beer out again, HAYLE yes! In the gluten free realm, this beer scores overall 4.25, or better, out of 5. In the APA world, 3.6 or so.

WissBrauSean, Mar 12, 2013

tbryan5, Sep 09, 2013

ajkelly451, Aug 16, 2014

Rivenin, Jun 28, 2013

A - light orangish amber with a thin, white layer of head

S - bready and sweet

T - bready, sweet, very faint bitterness

M - light to medium bodied, well carbonated, smooth

I'm a bit beside myself with this one. I can't believe it's gluten free. I buy every gluten free beer I see for my wife, and this is by far one of the best. It's one-dimensional for sure, but that one dimension is bready, tasty malt. My wife liked it as well so I'll be buying this again.

tdm168, Sep 14, 2012

wilfonzo, Feb 05, 2013

hannaho, Jun 25, 2012

tbone64, Jul 03, 2014

jnoelani, Aug 17, 2012

I grabbed a single bottle not knowing this was gluten-free.
It looks pretty average. Very little lacing.
Smell is very piney, citrusy. Juniper likely.
It has a lot of bitterness but at the same time, seems light.
The citrus makes the mouth feel very clean.
Overall, it is very sessionable especially for you looking for a beer to go with Mexican food and not wanting to settle for industrial.

mastodonj, Oct 31, 2012