Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012

Ratings: 484 | Reviews: 104
3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

(bottling date: Jun 10 2014 - poured into a tulip pint)

A: fairly clear, deep amber-hued liquid... perhaps a slight hop haze... rocky, frothy, creme-colored head... structure indicative hop high- or dry-hopping foremost

S: piney with round, fruity malts... toasty grain and overripe yellow grapefruit... overall, has the smell of a NW-hoppy English-style ale... mild spicy-floral highlights... comes across as a small brewery's flagship pale... touch of dirty sock long after

T: about what you'd expect, but cleaner... almost a spiced, honey graham aftertaste... little alcohol... up front, bright and inviting mellow hop bitterness with a earthy-grassy and citrus peel tone... the malt carries a touch of caramel and just hangs in the middle of the palate - the flavors don't move far past that point, as the finish just disappears before the back of the tongue

M: big and round, cottony hop resins... soft dancing of bubbles across the palate... muffled hop heat lingers in the back of the roof of the mouth... super dry, but notably cushiony

O: another pleasant surprise with these Omission beers (only have the IPA left to try)... I don't see why they can't craft a creative beer recipe and apply their tricks to that - the cost of lowering the gluten can't be that much... don't get me wrong, these beers have been solid, but pretty safe and textbook in their approach to taste... very 'sessionable' altogether, and that's likely the main goal here

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Very clear copper body. A light cream colored head, decent splotches of lacing.

Aroma: Very subdued, but a nice blend of caramel, fruitiness, and hops.

Taste: Like the aroma, well balanced with malty sweetness, some apple and cherry notes, and finally hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Well balanced and tasty, I did not mind having a sixer.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: (3.5)

- This has a rather dark amber appearance, kind of like their Drifter. A little darker than I like a pale to be. It's rather clear, and had about a finger of spotty foamy head that settles to a thin spotty layer with light chunky lace about the glass.

Smell: (3.5)

- The smell is quite simple. Light sweet caramel malt with a light zesty hop aroma. Little floral, but mainly some pine, and an earthy quality. Little biscuit and bread. Smells balanced at least.

Taste: (3.0)

- Pretty light caramel flavor, and just lightly sweet. Certainly some big bready notes, and rather light on the hops. The hops up front have a little floral and grassy quality, and finishes with a bitter grassy touch with a zingy spice. Not bad, but pretty average. Compared to most gluten-free beers, I am sure this just smashes them.It has a certain tart flare to it.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)

- Pretty medium bodied and a touch drying. Well carbonated, and pretty basic.

Overall: (3.5)

- This is solid, and quite balanced.. and yes, it is missing something. Gluten. I am simply just judging the beer for what it is compared to all other beers, and both Omission beers are the only gluten-free beers I have had. I would be afraid to try any of the others on the market. It's a solid drinker, and I would drink one if it was handed to me. Sure to be a true delight for one whom can't enjoy a regular beer.

3.69/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottled 1 Jul 14 at 35 degrees in a standard pint glass
Aroma of pine
Head average (3 cm), white, frothy, slowly diminishing to 2-4 mm frothy layer
Lacing good – narrow complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium orange, clear
Flavor begins with light pine flavor and bitterness, quickly fading; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 4, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5625. Final weighted score: 3.6875
A piney pleasant pale ale.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle, served cold into a pint glass while out for dinner in Buffalo, NY.

Appearance - mostly coppery in color, few visible bubbles. A half finger of white head that leaves behind a nice ring of lacing.

Smell - some citrusy hops, in particular a leafy quality. Otherwise aromas are subdued.

Taste - has the leafy hop quality again, but it seems to fall a bit flat for me. Mild malt flavour blended in.

Mouthfeel - smooth, but a bit flat and lacking carbonation.

Overall- not a bad APA , especially for a gluten- free beer. It's a bit lacking as far as APAs go but still worth a try especially for those with gluten sensitivities.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a really nice golden orange with a one finger plus head. Decent retention, and a nice lace. Nose is of bready malts, with notes of fruity citrus hops. Body is on the heavier side of medium with some carbonation. Taste is a really good balance of malt and hops. Grapefruit in the finish. Nice Gluten free or not.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle with a born on date of 8/7/13; into a pint glass.
Appearance - a surprisingly hazy orange. A mild, foamy white head with a bit of red sediment on the foam. Lacing is scattered.
Smell - surprisingly pleasant citrus hops nose, with a touch of sweet bread!
Taste - wow, I'm shocked by how good this is! Refreshing and balanced blend of hops and malts!
Feel - a fairly complex feel that works well for the style.
Overall - this is my first gluten free beer (not having by choice, rather because someone brought it over and left in my fridge!). Needless to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised! An outstanding introduction to a GF brew!

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

I was not as impressed with their Pale Ale as their Lager. Poured a 1/8 inch off-white head which faded fast. Hazy iced tea color with a touch of amber and no effervescence left in the body. Very little smell at all, even as it warmed. Taste is pretty bland and though it has hops it's nowhere close to the hops in an average Pale Ale. Only a mild brief hop finish. Pretty darn boring to me.

2.79/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a pretty nice hops and malt aroma
Appearance- A dark golden color with a small white head.
Taste- This is where it disappoints, it is a beer flavor but has an odd aftertaste that takes away from the flavor.
Palate- A medium to light bodied brew with mild carbonation.
Overall- I didn't enjoy this beer, for those who need to go gluten free, I am sorry that this may be your only choice.

3.37/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gluten free not a clue but a pale lets give it a whirl. Pours to an orange color with an off white head that recedes slowly and leaves a thick lacing. Smell is very sweet almost oktoberfest-like with a tarty background. On the taste this brew has a sweet starter with a bit of hopping evident in the middle slightly bitter but not not a real bite then finishes with a fading flat bitterness, we'll balanced with a malty base. A very malty pale ale, not much bitter hopping. Not really on for the style but a good drinking brew.

3.87/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden hue with visible carbonation floating up towards a thin off-white head.

Aroma: Not too much on the nose. A little biscuit and just a hint of earthy hops.

Taste: Not bad for gluten-free! Starts a tad bready with some nice earthy hop overtones. The hops overtake the malt a bit in the second half but a nice balance remains throughout. Average bitterness for the style, probably around 20-30 IBUs (their website lists it at 33 IBUs). Not getting the fruity/tropical notes I'd expect from Citra and Cascade hops but perhaps the process of removing the gluten from the grains affects the hop character. I'm not usually a big fan of straight up Pale Ales (more of an IPA guy) but the fact that it is gluten-free and has this much good flavor is surprising. Nice smooth and decently clean finish. Very sessionable at 5.8%.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with average effervescence for the style. Easy drinking.

Final Thoughts: I would recommend Omission Pale Ale to any easy going beer drinker; gluten intolerant or not. It's a worthy beer for anyones glass and hat's off to the brewers who figured out a way of removing the gluten. Would I drink it again? Sure… now, if they could only come out with an IPA.

3.39/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: clear light amber, with ample carbination. a nice looking fizzy beverage. Very inviting.

Smell: Not much here. Little to no malt character in the smelll, with only some light hoppy characters. Overall not impressive, but not offensive

Taste: Very pale alish. No malty backbone, but supported by a decent hoppy character. nothing that wows me, but considering the fact that its a gluten free beer, Im giving it a .5 bonus from 3 to a 3.5

Mouth feel: Intense carbonation that bites your tongue from the moment you drink it. Little to no body present. I didn't like it, but it fits to style, so im giving it another 3.5 (because of the gluten free bonus )

Overall: a tough beer to rate. Overall it feels REMARKABLY average, however...it is a gluten free beer.

If your a gluten free person this is the beer for you, and deserves a 5. for everyone else you can do better

3 for gluten folk
5 for non-gluten folk

4 average

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bought a single at HEB in Round Rock...wanted to give a gluten free beer a shot.

Pours a fairly clear copper color with a decent off white head. Ample lacing left behind in my pint glass. Not a bad looker.

Getting a very mild aroma of sweet malt...very little else.

Taste follows...very mild sweet malt, maybe a bit of fruit (pear?) on the backend as well, but overall, quite muted flavor. Very smooth and clean finish though. Seems to be lacking something...not bad, but pretty bland for an APA.

I guess if my doctor tells me to lay off the gluten, I'll revisit. Otherwise this is a one and done for me.

3.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Bottled June 1, 2012:

Into my nonic:

A: golden orange body leaves a one finger white head appears and lasts for about twenty seconds. No carbonation is seen rising. No lacing is left behind.

S: centers around yeasty bread and pine. Some other citrusy notes come out as the beer warms.

T: pine and hops up front giving a slight zesty appeal. Some floral citrusy tones come out stronger as the beer warms.

M: medium with nothing harsh on the tongue.

O: even though I bought this by accident, this isn't bad. If I ever had a problem with wheat, I wouldn't mind drinking this for the rest of my life.

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Slightly hazed golden amber body with a white foam cap. Lots of bubbles keeping the foam cap going.

A- Nice sweet bready caramel aroma with some, but not much citrus hop aroma.

T- Sweet malt with a bitterness throughout. Old hoppy bitterness finish. Meh.

M- Medium body and medium carbonation.

D- It's drinkable. It isn't anything special. I actually just found out it is "Gluten-free," but made with malt and the gluten is removed. The brewery checks each batch and publishes the findings on the website. Worth trying out if you have issues with gluten!

3.22/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz to a glass

A- pours a pretty light chestnut red with a fluffy 1 finger white head

S- grainy, some sweet caramel malts, metalic, faint lemon

T- lemon citrus, caramel, slight toffee, pennies, a touch of bitter on the end

M- Light to medium bodied, not a whole lot of body, but suprisingly more than i wouldve guessed. Light carbonation, very easy to drink.

O- my first gluten free beer, its very drinkable, not the most flavorful beer, not going to wow you, but its not bad.

For gluten free I am very impressed. Very good solid beer althogether

3.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pale golden/orange in color, Omission Pale Ale has a mild nose of caramel and a faint amount of fruit- mainly lemon. The foam on this beer looks okay at first, but it doesn’t last very long. It does manage to redeem itself with a small amount of lacing, but the appearance is otherwise very ordinary.

Investigating the taste, this pale ale is middle of the road, but in a good way. Its primary flavors include toasted malt, caramel malt, toffee, and some citrus. It seemed like I was picking up lemon in the nose, but the fruit I taste is closer to oranges. The beer has a mildly bitter finish and is clean and drinkable.

I have sampled a few gluten free beers in my day and the Omission lineup seems like a good one compared to the rest. It tastes better than the beers that use sorghum and it’s smooth and drinkable. It’s not a big, rich pale ale like some craft beer fans are used to and demand. But it is a good pale ale overall. Celiac sufferers like beer, too, and its nice that Widmer Brothers has created a beer designed specifically for them.

4.34/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not good. Was the only thing offered at an event

2.94/5  rDev -12.5%

bottle into a pint glass

clear copper, almost amber, color with a nice tan head and great lacing

smell is very faint. maybe a touch of molasses or brown sugar

taste is synthetic sweetness and nutty. a bit of bitterness in the end, not very well balanced

mouthfeel is creamy, almost like a nitro

not a bad beer, but I wouldn't go to this for a pale ale-it reminded me of an amber lager

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Perfect Pint:

A=Honey colored, very slight cloudiness, and a two finger head that lasted well over a minute...I found it inviting.

S=Sweet, citrusy--lemon and orange--but not artificial...very appealing.

T=Definite sweet butter flavor, with citrus and herbal notes--particularly peach. A bit more hops than others also dominated the taste.

M=Above average body with modest carbonation...smoothness and creaminess offset by heavier body and herbal hop notes...not a session beer.

O=A decent beer that might pair well with barbecued meats or saltier foods...a bit too sweet for me to drink on a regular basis, but worth trying if you haven't found a gluten-free beer that suits your taste.

2.45/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

It's like a Blue Moon pale ale. Gluten free aspect doesn't seem to affect anything, it's just not very good. Goes down smooth and feels nice in the mouth but those are the highest compliments I can pay this beer.

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Critiquing this beer within the context of GF beers, this is easily the most authentic tasting I've had. I have always been turned off by sorghum based beers, always seemed unnaturally sweet. This one tastes like a pale ale. Hazy amber/burnt orange in color with off white head. In the nose you can smell the hops, in the sip you can taste them. Pretty well balanced beer, easy on the pallet.
I eat a gluten free foods but I'm not celiac and because the gluten level in beer is relatively low, I drink whatever I want. With that in mind I probably won't seek this one out but if things change it would feel a lot less like the end if the world knowing this was out there. Though I still haven't tried the IPA...

4.09/5  rDev +21.7%

Wow, first of all I must say that I'm surprised at low this brew rates amongst my fellow advocates since - in spite of the natural discomfort that the gimmicky aspect of this beer might cause - I still consider this one to be well above average on the most relevant ( in my eyes at least) criterion - complexity and balance.

Now having said that, this is still not Elite. Its strong point is Its elusive complexity - took me some third party remarks to really take notice of some of the more subtle tropical fruit notes. Profile wise this beer is at a crossway between the English (think flowers and honey), American (strong citrusy character mostly tangerine / orange) and Kiwi (Mango comes to mind) Pale ales' traditional profile with a lovely, soft carbonation, unobtrusive bitterness and assertive flowery aftertaste.

Deserves more respect, in my opinion.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

12 oz. poured into a Duvel tulip

DISCLAIMER: A friend with celiac disease left this over after a party. I've had 2 already, and I actually quite enjoy it. I'm going to review it against other gluten free beers, because it isn't to fair to rate it against "traditional" beers.

A: Brilliant burnt orange with a very nice 2 finger head which left some lace. It looks great, and I'm loving the color.

S: Honestly, it's just okay. I'm only getting hints of hops, otherwise it's a "malt" bomb. I believe this is sorghum based, but I could be wrong. I haven't had very many gluten-free beers, but this one smells decent all things considered. There is an underlying sweetness.

T: Okay, if you had told me this was gluten-free, I would have spit it in your face and called you a filthy liar. There is NOTHING to suggest this is gluten free. Sure, it may be light in flavor, but it's actually really good. I could drink this regularly. I'm not getting a ton of hop quality, but who knows how long this sat on the shelf. There is just a hint of bitterness on the back end, followed by a surprising sweetness that I think plays well with the bitterness. Of all the gluten free beers I've tried, this is the best. There really isn't even a close contender.

M: It's a tad thin, but it has enough carbonation to distract me. It feels kind of oily in a way. Very slick. Nothing offensive to speak of.

O: I consider this a winner based on the fact that I would drink this over some traditional beers. It's very drinkable, and refreshing. If you are rating this beer low, you need to lower your standards for this style. It's a pale ale, and it's the best GF beer on the market (that I have had). In fact, I would drink this over every year round Widmer Brother's offerings.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company