Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

good

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.34/5  rDev -4%

Copper-red and translucent visually, this is a bit darker than your average pale ale. Seeing as this beer is also sweeter than I would expect; I'm going to go ahead and say that this probably has a higher portion rich and sweet specialty malts in the mash bill than your common pale ale. Coming in at 5.8% abv this alcohol content is good for a session beer. Cascade and Citra hops are present adding a nice piny and fruity flavor to beer but they could be more pronounced. I would also like more bitterness in this one. All and all its a good pale ale but not a great one. It deviates a bit from the style. Good beer nonetheless. (630 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. poured into a Duvel tulip

DISCLAIMER: A friend with celiac disease left this over after a party. I've had 2 already, and I actually quite enjoy it. I'm going to review it against other gluten free beers, because it isn't to fair to rate it against "traditional" beers.

A: Brilliant burnt orange with a very nice 2 finger head which left some lace. It looks great, and I'm loving the color.

S: Honestly, it's just okay. I'm only getting hints of hops, otherwise it's a "malt" bomb. I believe this is sorghum based, but I could be wrong. I haven't had very many gluten-free beers, but this one smells decent all things considered. There is an underlying sweetness.

T: Okay, if you had told me this was gluten-free, I would have spit it in your face and called you a filthy liar. There is NOTHING to suggest this is gluten free. Sure, it may be light in flavor, but it's actually really good. I could drink this regularly. I'm not getting a ton of hop quality, but who knows how long this sat on the shelf. There is just a hint of bitterness on the back end, followed by a surprising sweetness that I think plays well with the bitterness. Of all the gluten free beers I've tried, this is the best. There really isn't even a close contender.

M: It's a tad thin, but it has enough carbonation to distract me. It feels kind of oily in a way. Very slick. Nothing offensive to speak of.

O: I consider this a winner based on the fact that I would drink this over some traditional beers. It's very drinkable, and refreshing. If you are rating this beer low, you need to lower your standards for this style. It's a pale ale, and it's the best GF beer on the market (that I have had). In fact, I would drink this over every year round Widmer Brother's offerings. (1,768 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Bought at Specs in Austin. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A - Crystal clear orange color. Two fingers of light head that stick around as long as the nucleation point would allow. Decent lacing.

S - Floral hops, although they're pretty weak. I can't put my finger on the malts.

T/M - Tastes similar to an APA, but with just a little something missing (or dare I say, Omitted?).

O - Not bad for gluten free, but I would never search this out. (452 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I'm down with a beer company removing gluten so that those who can't tolerate gluten can still drink beer if they want to. This beer TASTES like it's missing something though, and if you're looking for a gluten-free beer, I'd probably look elsewhere. This beer is lacking and bland and feels like it needs a lot of help. (320 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Ah ha! I stumbled upon their secret on their website. It has been brewed with barley and the gluten removed probably via flocculation. Whether or not it is really gluten free and the ELISA test is accurate is debatable. If you have hardcore Celiacs, you will want to do more research into the contents of this beer and the fact that recently ELISA testing methods have been questioned as to whether or not they are 100% effective. For me, this is a great alternative as I don't think that I have full blown Celiacs. I haven't been tested as I haven't had medical benefits for a while. But it's nice to know that gluten can be mostly flocculated out with natural additives that are also used for clearing up your beer. I'm pretty sure that they are natural. Don't quote me on that.

The beer pours a coppery amber color and is crystal clear with an off-white thin head that fades to a ring and a tiny Friar Tuck type center cap. After a while it starts to fade, but while doing so during the drink it leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is an extremely pleasant and balance mix of floral west coast hops with a bit of caramel malt sweetness and the tiniest aroma of citrus. It's quite nice.

This beer is an APA. It starts off a little flat with a hop bite and as it moves across the tongue the malt sweetness comes through while the citrusy hoppy flavor stays along for the ride. The finish is a little flat and dry with a little bit of black pepper, but it's pretty well balanced.

As for mouthfeel and body, well, the body is a little light. If you put it side by side with your avarage APA you'd think it was a little watery. It is, however, mildly sweet balanced with hops and is a great alternative for gluten intolerants like me. I hate to use the word "Glutards" as it grates on my soul to think that most people think this is all in our heads and we should just "man up" and eat pizza. Can I hear an "AMEN" from all the Glutards? How many think you are crazy too? Has the term "bitch-slap" ever crossed your mind in relation to such folks? Anyway, this is great. The carbonation is moderate and not too lively.

Overall, I'd say that this is the best Gluten Free that I have had, BUT is it really gluten free? That is the question. It is more like a modifed American Pale Ale. If judging by APA standards, I'd say that it was watery. That is not always a bad thing because it makes the beer sessionable. Will I seek this beer out again, HAYLE yes! In the gluten free realm, this beer scores overall 4.25, or better, out of 5. In the APA world, 3.6 or so. (2,569 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +14.7%

I grabbed a single bottle not knowing this was gluten-free.
It looks pretty average. Very little lacing.
Smell is very piney, citrusy. Juniper likely.
It has a lot of bitterness but at the same time, seems light.
The citrus makes the mouth feel very clean.
Overall, it is very sessionable especially for you looking for a beer to go with Mexican food and not wanting to settle for industrial. (393 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pale amber color. A little hazy. Big, foamy, cream colored head that fades, but not completely. Good lacing.

Smells like a piece of yeast rich bread. That's not a bad thing, though.

Tastes and feels like an average to above average APA.

I enjoyed this beer at face value. The gluten free aspect takes it to another level of appreciation, however. I have friends who must eat gluten free, and who also love beer. This has been an issue, to say the least. Very appreciative of Widmer Brothers for making a good GF beer. I'm giving it another half a point for being GF. Maybe that's too much, but gluten ain't not joke for some people. (636 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is about as good as you're going to find in a gluten-free beer. That doesn't mean it's going to ring any bells but it does taste the most authentic of all the ones I've tried. The others seem to use alternative grains that taste different and mess with your head. This one is at least somewhat more traditional tasting. (325 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a nice amber or golden brownish glow. Features a nice creamy white large head that leads to a disorganized thick lacing. Nose is slight. Some sweet citrusy notes. Taste is of a quality standard pale with some citrus and nice malt. No flavor really comes to the fore. Apparently they can't call it gluten free. I' d like to see what my gluten friends think about it. I also worry about what they have to do to get the gluten out. Chemicals?

If glut people can actually drink this, it's got to taste better than the glut free brews. (537 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer was good and it did what it was supposed to. I liked the taste but it was a little... i dunno weak i guess. I wouldn't know I was drinking a gluten free beer. (168 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Deep coppery orange with moderate head and virtually no lacing

S: Nothing much of note. Some bready yeast and a little ripe fruit, but not much on the nose at all.

T: A surprisingly rich, drinkable brew. Enough hops to cut through the substantial malt. A bit of sweetness up front, quickly subdued by the hops.

M: Crisp and refreshing. Doesn't linger for long, but does sparkle a bit.

O: Not sure if this is a beer that ages surprisingly well, or if I was just in the mood for it tonight, but I thoroughly enjoyed this bottle after being pretty unimpressed with the the lack of flavor presented by first two I drank several weeks ago. I don't know as I'd actively seek this out, as there are many pale ales I enjoy more, but if you have gluten issues, this would be a great option. Light enough to serve as a session beer, but with enough flavor to enjoy every glass. (914 characters)

This is currently the best by far of all the gluten free beers. This rates a 5 of 5. Overall, compared with all beers, this rates a 4.8 since it is an above average American Pale Ale.

Serving type - bottle 12 oz.
Glass used - tulip
Pours - clear copper color
Head - one finger, off-white, lasts 1-2 min.
Lacing - good
Aroma - citrus, baked bread, floral, hops
Taste - first medium bitter hops, light citrus, followed by light malt ending with hops;
crisp med. light mouthfeel, well balanced, 5.7 abv with no alcohol taste, very drinkable
Overall - best gluten free beer on the market and a very good pale ale for everyone to enjoy;
I will continue to purchase this one

Scoring (5 Max)
Look 5
Smell 4.5
Taste 5
Feel 4.5
Overall 5 for GF, 4.8 otherwise (765 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz bottle poured into IPA glass.

Rich amber color, quarter finger of good looking white head. Moderate lacing.

Hoppy, bits of citrus or fruit flavor, with a slightly off, metallic aftertaste. Well carbonated with a good texture and balance.

Wouldn't know it was gluten free or otherwise restricted on ingredients without being told. Didn't know when buying, it's not on the bottle.

Overall it's an above average apa, which is an accomplishment given the gluten-free restriction. It looks much better than it tastes, unfortunately. (538 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For the last year I've confined my beers to gluten-free and my favorite are Widner Omission - Lager, IPA & Ale. The sky blue label is amber ale at 5.8%, with a caramel malt body and a somewhat bitter taste, which I like.

As most say, not bad for gluten-free. I'm not celiac, but like beer and hope for less beer belly. Not sure it works :-) (342 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +16.7%

Love Spotted Cow, but this is the best Gluten Free beer I've tried. Rated it a 4 in terms of gluten free beers rather than overall beers. A little pricey, but worth it. (168 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tall ale Glass. Head relative thin but aromatic head. taste reminiscent of several Mexican brews. To me that is, Not a connoisseur but am a home brewer. I know from nothing about Gluten or Celiac disease.The 6 pack carrier clearly says not Gluten free. Something about less than 20 pts on some scale. Therefore I would have to really check it out if I had an aversion to gluten.
I would purchase AGAIN and will try to research the "gluten reducing enzyme" in order to brew at home. (494 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +13.8%

In a land of cider-esque GF "beer", I have to say it's one of the best that I've tried. It actually tastes like beer! Lovely amber color, nice head, decent mouthfeel, really smooth finish. Drank it with food (tamari and sesame glazed salmon) and it was a very nice accompaniment. This will be a staple in my household for sure. (327 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +36.2%

Great beer. I'm not too picky but this is my favorite beer of all time. I always buy this when I go to the store great Pale Ale a must try for anyone gluten intolerant or not. It has medium hops and definitely has bitterness to it. Decent alcohol content at 5.8 and feels great going down the hatch. (299 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This Beer is the greatest Gluten-free beer on the market. I couldn't believe that they could make a gluten free beer this good. I have Celiacs disease and was so excited when I first had this beer. And then I had two, then three, then four. And then my stomach twisted into a giant knot and my brain became super cloudy and my eyes super tired. I had somehow ingested gluten. This beer is NOT Gluten Free! It has very low gluten, but it still has gluten. They brew this beer with gluten ingredients and then "eat" the gluten out with an enzyme, but it does not get it all.
IF you have Celiacs disease do not drink this beer. Even if you only have one and don't feel the affects of the gluten it destroys your intestines and your cancer rate skyrockets.
So, Shame on you Omission for hiding this fact. I'm sure you did your research on Celiac ridden people and if you didn't, shame on you again.

To good to be true..

Dave (924 characters)

I'm no beer snob but I did grow up in WI and love Spotted Cow. That said, the gluten-free beers aren't in the same league. Still, Omission, if chilled in the freezer and served in an insulated mug that's also done some freezer time is more than passable. 'Cause sometimes, especially in TX, y'all just gotta have a cold beer. (326 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For those like me that have to be gluten free, this beer kicks serious butt. I love Widmer and fine beers (well at least to until I couldn't have anything with Wheat, barley or Oats)... Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my favorites- Widmer Hefe and their winter / summer brews. As much as I love apples, hard cider is not my thing and some of the other GF beers taste like much of the bread products- awful. I did find that New Grist was palatable but then came along Omission. For those that love Widmer products, it has that taste that is indicative of imbibing on one of their regular, delicious beers. It took me back to the days when I could drink it and really, back to living in Portland and drinking more than my fair share while in College, at the Porthole (NE Portland) and the Sextant. I do wish there was a way to make GF Hefe but I am sure that is a dream LOL... Widmer wasn't my only indulgence as I also loved all things McMinnimums. Thank you Widmer for making this and allowing me to feel at least somewhat normal now that I am unable to consume most beer products. (1,081 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

A little low on the ABV side but made up for it in flavor and IPA taste. I recently started consuming gluten-free products, and I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with this beer. (182 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last