Follow our progress ...

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

Reviews: 107 | Ratings: 565
3.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is at least 2 years old and has beenin the back of the fridge the entire time, so take the review with a grain of salt. 5.8% ABV, no specs per the website. Pours out to a crystal clear medium amber, forming a modest off yellow head with good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate, 2.5 carbs. The nose has some ncie grain husk, apple esters, and probably cascade hops. Mouthfeel is very smooth, medium-light bodied, with a nice herbal bitterness and finishing dry. The taste is standard pale/amber ale fare with a nice grainy body, well balanced bitterness and pleasant hop flavor.

Considering that this is gluten free, I was expecting a thin sorghumy beer, but this actually pretty damn close to malted barley and is a really full flavored easy to drink option for gluten senstive individuals that doesn't taste like crap.

2.47/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours light orange with little head or lacing, almost looking thickish in glass. Smells of honey and faint floral hops. Tastes and feel is very strange: very honey-forward, almost mead-ish and faint hop aroma near end. I saw another reviewer say it goes from "thick to thin" in your mouth and I'd have to agree, no real better way to describe it. Overall I would not drink this beer again. It was the first gluten-free beer I've ever had and the mead quality to it turns me off. I would describe it more like a Honey Brown clone than anything.

1.74/5  rDev -48.5%

Worst thing I' ve ever tasted!!!!! Extremely bitter, strange aftertaste!
Among the gluten free beers out there Redbridge by Anheiser Busch is the closest thing to reel beer that I've tasted so far. And it is absolutely, completely gluten free. It was recommended to me and I was pleasantly surprised. I've had regular beer drinkers taste it and they always say "hmm, not bad"

So if you want gluten free don't waste your money on Omission. They can't even guarantee that it IS gluten free. Why even make it. It is worse than vomit aftertaste.

2.73/5  rDev -19.2%

After a gluten intolerance (no celiac) diagnosis recently I've been super bummed. My wife let me rinse some Surly Abrasive around in my mouth before spitting it into the sink. This was not only ridiculous but torment-full.
A little online research brought me to Omission.

Picked up a 6 pack of brown bottles from Zipps in Minneapolis for $9.

Wall poured into a Sam Adams Turbulator, producing an inch of white froth, settling to leave a skim of head and decent amounts of lace. Copper transparent color.

Aroma has me let down and I'm real hopeful right now that the flavors will carry me through this medical debacle. Its not that the aroma is bad, it just resembles a multi year aged SN Celebration. Honey drenched Baklava is really all I'm getting.
Taste aint bad folks, I haven't consumed a decent real beer in a while. That wine crap can go, because this will do it for me!
To really rate this beer as a regular 'ol beer I wouldn't rate flavor beyond a 2. Being that this is the only stuff my body can handle (it's just not worth the pain) I'm impressed. Sorghum beers are eff'ing awful. This delivers a fair amount of hop bite, bitter pine that lingers alongside that honey malt flavor and I cant even really call it malt... I mean, it reminds me of what a malty ipa might taste like. Flavors drop fairly quick after swallow and there is a slight metallic off taste and salty peanut shells without the peanuts.

Mouth feel is thin, it's like carbonated hop water with a wee tiny amount of something full bodied for an instant and then flatness.

Overall though this is a great offering to the gluten intolerant and I'm really happy there is stuff like this out there to fill the beer void that I'm experiencing.

I enjoyed this beer a lot for what it's worth.

2.43/5  rDev -28.1%

Had poured from 12 oz bottle into glass. Gluten removal process left this beer lifeless and flat. Do not recommend unless you are gluten free and want a very small reminder of beer

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 5/26/2015. Pours slightly hazy orange/amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, light pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, light pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light-medium pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Lightly drying on the finish from bitterness as well. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/bready/sticky balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a good gluten reduced pale ale style. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle in a pilsner style glass.

Pours a golden orange color with a 1F white head, quick drop to a film and leaves a bit of lacing.

Light hop aroma, like a German lager. Grains, some caramel.

Light malt-ish flavor, caramel. Floral hops.

Pretty sturdy body with a decent hop bite and finish.

This is my first GF beer and it's better than expected. Not a bad starting point for the style but the lack of wheat, barley, or rye is clearly evident. It rates well for what it has.

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Meh. This one was nice and easy to drink. It would be great on a summer day, but there just wasn't much flavor. I didn't get any hoppiness or character at all. Almost drinks like a Bud Light.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I was excited to try this, my first ever gluten free beer. From what I've read, this is the best of the lot. But honestly, I was disappointed in the flavor, so used to the deliciousness that a good pale ale can have. Still, I did not experience some of the negative effects of beer that I know and hate, such as becoming very tired after drinking it, and getting a headache. I'd like to think that the absence of these things was a direct result of it being gluten free, in which case, it succeeded admirably.

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is another gluten-free beer from Widmer Brothers and it looks very much like a beer pouring brilliant gold with a thin white head. It also smells like a beer with fruit, grain and faint hops. On the palate I can tell the barley malt is missing and I miss it.

3.54/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours an orange amber color with a tiny head of white foam. The head fades relatively quickly leaving just a trace of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is strong of a caramel smell mixed with a bit of a bready aroma. Along with these smells comes some lighter notes of a yeast and a bit of molasses.

Taste – The taste begins with a bready and caramel sweetened taste. As the taste moves forward more and more bready and grainy tastse meet the tongue along with a little bit of a hay and grassy flavor. With a little bit of a fruit flavor of a citrus and pear, one is left with a lightly hopped and moderately malty taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is average in thickness with a carbonation level that is a bit on the lower side. For the style the feel is rather decent, although a little bit more carbonation may have been slightly better for the style overall.

Overall – A lighter hopped but rather tasty brew overall. Now I am not adverse to gluten, so its really not one I would likely frequent when given the option of other pales. If you are gluten sensitive though this may be a beer that is right up your alley.

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

A little low on the ABV side but made up for it in flavor and IPA taste. I recently started consuming gluten-free products, and I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with this beer.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pale amber color. A little hazy. Big, foamy, cream colored head that fades, but not completely. Good lacing.

Smells like a piece of yeast rich bread. That's not a bad thing, though.

Tastes and feels like an average to above average APA.

I enjoyed this beer at face value. The gluten free aspect takes it to another level of appreciation, however. I have friends who must eat gluten free, and who also love beer. This has been an issue, to say the least. Very appreciative of Widmer Brothers for making a good GF beer. I'm giving it another half a point for being GF. Maybe that's too much, but gluten ain't not joke for some people.

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle with a date of Feb. 9, 2015. If that is the bottled on date it is close to the end of the best by date. Pours hazy pale amber with a small white head and poor retention. Some lacing follows the head in it's decent.
Smell is mainly bready malt.
Taste is bready as well but has a good amount of hops to make it enjoyable. As a regular APA it is middle of the road but if you needed to drink gluten free this is quite good.
Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is just right.
Overall a good APA . It has a medium bitter finish and not quite crisp but it is refreshing.
My understanding is they brew this as a traditional APA and use micro filtration to remove the gluten. If so why does it have the haze in the appearance?

4.06/5  rDev +20.1%

Love Spotted Cow, but this is the best Gluten Free beer I've tried. Rated it a 4 in terms of gluten free beers rather than overall beers. A little pricey, but worth it.

2.45/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

It's like a Blue Moon pale ale. Gluten free aspect doesn't seem to affect anything, it's just not very good. Goes down smooth and feels nice in the mouth but those are the highest compliments I can pay this beer.

2.71/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is about as good as you're going to find in a gluten-free beer. That doesn't mean it's going to ring any bells but it does taste the most authentic of all the ones I've tried. The others seem to use alternative grains that taste different and mess with your head. This one is at least somewhat more traditional tasting.

3.61/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer was good and it did what it was supposed to. I liked the taste but it was a little... i dunno weak i guess. I wouldn't know I was drinking a gluten free beer.

2.61/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle

clear copper color, little head. smell is not too appealing, a bit grainy and stale smelling. No hop aroma at all. Smells almost like it used corn as an adjunct, but the label claims not. not a great flavored taste either. Okay body and mouthfeel

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but I still only would up with a measly finger of foamy, tawny head with limited retention. At least, it left nice lacing before it disappeared. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a fantastic mintiness and a definite appeal as this G-F weekend winds down for yours truly! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was moderately hoppy, but it tasted as though it had somehow been dialed back to appeal to a non-hophead audience. Still, it was far and away better than many G-F beers that I had tried up to this point. I was really digging the way they had managed to incorporate a moderate hoppiness into a style (? G-F) that until now, I might have written off as being for those with a commitment. Finish was semi-dry and completely satisfying. I would drink this more often if it were not for a concern that I was taking away someone else's rations.

2.79/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a pretty nice hops and malt aroma
Appearance- A dark golden color with a small white head.
Taste- This is where it disappoints, it is a beer flavor but has an odd aftertaste that takes away from the flavor.
Palate- A medium to light bodied brew with mild carbonation.
Overall- I didn't enjoy this beer, for those who need to go gluten free, I am sorry that this may be your only choice.

3.47/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, light hops, bit of malts.Taste is balanced, caramel malts up front, some hops at the finish, not much bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a smooth and refreshing beer.

4.6/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For those like me that have to be gluten free, this beer kicks serious butt. I love Widmer and fine beers (well at least to until I couldn't have anything with Wheat, barley or Oats)... Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my favorites- Widmer Hefe and their winter / summer brews. As much as I love apples, hard cider is not my thing and some of the other GF beers taste like much of the bread products- awful. I did find that New Grist was palatable but then came along Omission. For those that love Widmer products, it has that taste that is indicative of imbibing on one of their regular, delicious beers. It took me back to the days when I could drink it and really, back to living in Portland and drinking more than my fair share while in College, at the Porthole (NE Portland) and the Sextant. I do wish there was a way to make GF Hefe but I am sure that is a dream LOL... Widmer wasn't my only indulgence as I also loved all things McMinnimums. Thank you Widmer for making this and allowing me to feel at least somewhat normal now that I am unable to consume most beer products.

2.32/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I'm down with a beer company removing gluten so that those who can't tolerate gluten can still drink beer if they want to. This beer TASTES like it's missing something though, and if you're looking for a gluten-free beer, I'd probably look elsewhere. This beer is lacking and bland and feels like it needs a lot of help.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, the first Widmer product to make it into the Alberta market, and wouldn't you know it has to be a gluten-free offering.

This beer pours a mildly hazy, medium copper amber colour, with one stout finger of weakly puffy, and mostly just bubbly off-white head, which leaves some attractive ocean spray lace around the glass as it easily slips away.

It smells of reserved bready caramel malt, a soft biscuity graininess, orange cream, understated pine and leafy hop notes, and a tame earthy yeastiness. The taste is more semi-sweet bready caramel malt, dry biscuity saltines, an ethereal orange and neutered grapefruit fruitiness, well-faded yeast, and a surprisingly peppy earthy, leafy, and somewhat grassy hoppiness.

The bubbles are generally active and supportive in their straight-up frothiness, the body a decent medium weight for the style, and a bit too tacky to be deemed particularly smooth. It finishes rather dry, the biscuity nature starting to subsume the whole, as it were.

Another pleasantly rendered gluten-free ale, if it absolutely has to be done. Since they state on the label that this is made with 'malted barley, specially crafted to be gluten-free', I'm gonna lump this in with the enzyme removal method for further classification, since there are still residual (albeit below the governing body's standard) proteins flitting about here.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company