Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For the last year I've confined my beers to gluten-free and my favorite are Widner Omission - Lager, IPA & Ale. The sky blue label is amber ale at 5.8%, with a caramel malt body and a somewhat bitter taste, which I like.

As most say, not bad for gluten-free. I'm not celiac, but like beer and hope for less beer belly. Not sure it works :-)

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz to a glass

A- pours a pretty light chestnut red with a fluffy 1 finger white head

S- grainy, some sweet caramel malts, metalic, faint lemon

T- lemon citrus, caramel, slight toffee, pennies, a touch of bitter on the end

M- Light to medium bodied, not a whole lot of body, but suprisingly more than i wouldve guessed. Light carbonation, very easy to drink.

O- my first gluten free beer, its very drinkable, not the most flavorful beer, not going to wow you, but its not bad.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

4.74/5  rDev +40.7%

Great beer. I'm not too picky but this is my favorite beer of all time. I always buy this when I go to the store great Pale Ale a must try for anyone gluten intolerant or not. It has medium hops and definitely has bitterness to it. Decent alcohol content at 5.8 and feels great going down the hatch.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle > Alpine Spring bow-tie glass.

A - Clear glass half a finger of fizzy white head, medium lacing.
S - Some sweet malt, light orange notes, biscuit malt, light grassy tones.
T - Sweet malt and thats about it for taste.
M - Well carbonated, but meh.
O - Weak, lacking flavor, give me the Gluten please.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Critiquing this beer within the context of GF beers, this is easily the most authentic tasting I've had. I have always been turned off by sorghum based beers, always seemed unnaturally sweet. This one tastes like a pale ale. Hazy amber/burnt orange in color with off white head. In the nose you can smell the hops, in the sip you can taste them. Pretty well balanced beer, easy on the pallet.
I eat a gluten free foods but I'm not celiac and because the gluten level in beer is relatively low, I drink whatever I want. With that in mind I probably won't seek this one out but if things change it would feel a lot less like the end if the world knowing this was out there. Though I still haven't tried the IPA...

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I picked this up at Wegmans enjoyed chilled in a goblet from the 12oz

The color is deep copper with thin white cap and tight bead pattern, there is a light hazed appearance. The smell is slightly piney with fruity ester and mild spiced yeast aroma. The feel is a great mix of bitter and mildly sweet with light dry finish with a moderatly high carbonation level.

The taste is good with a nice pine flavor up front from the hops with a subtle dried fruit presence and smidgen of citrus rind with a lingering bitter quality after the swallow. The hops contribute an herbal element in the finish. Overall I found this to be a drinkable pale, drinks like a lighter beer than it is and doesn't taste like other Gluten Free beers I have experienced I would certainly buy this again. I don't know why I passed it by before.

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%

Thanks to my buddy Mike for this!

Appearance. Pours a clear gold amber with a finger of off white head that fades pretty fast.

Smell. Sweet malts, toffee, orange juice.

Taste. Oranges, sweet malts, some earthy hops and toffee.

Mouthfeel. Below medium body. below medium carbonation.

Overall. Not a great pale ale but pretty decent as a gluten free beer. A good choice if you have the rich white person disease.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company