Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

I believe this is my first gluten free beer review, but I'm too lazy to check, so either way, here goes.

Clear and light brown to orange with a pretty good initial head, not much lacing, but not bad looking.

Aroma and taste aren't sufficiently different from any other random craft pale ale on a given day. This one is a bit tilted towards the malty side, with notable caramel malt, biscuit, bread, and some nice hops bite to balance it out. The website says they used cascade but I can't really say that this beer SCREAMS out cascade to me. There's certainly some citrus and citrus rind tho, and the hops balanced the beer out fine.

I can't say this beer is going to to wind up being world-class, but it's certainly tasty nonetheless. I wouldn't be at all opposed to someone showing up with a sixer of this, or with having this as the only beer available at whatever event. At this point I'm already half done with the glass, so I guess it's "thirst-quenching" too! Finish is a bit on the dry side with a crisp lingering bitterness.

Good to see someone is attempting to brew for celiac patients.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tall ale Glass. Head relative thin but aromatic head. taste reminiscent of several Mexican brews. To me that is, Not a connoisseur but am a home brewer. I know from nothing about Gluten or Celiac disease.The 6 pack carrier clearly says not Gluten free. Something about less than 20 pts on some scale. Therefore I would have to really check it out if I had an aversion to gluten.
I would purchase AGAIN and will try to research the "gluten reducing enzyme" in order to brew at home.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gluten free not a clue but a pale lets give it a whirl. Pours to an orange color with an off white head that recedes slowly and leaves a thick lacing. Smell is very sweet almost oktoberfest-like with a tarty background. On the taste this brew has a sweet starter with a bit of hopping evident in the middle slightly bitter but not not a real bite then finishes with a fading flat bitterness, we'll balanced with a malty base. A very malty pale ale, not much bitter hopping. Not really on for the style but a good drinking brew.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz.

Pours a mostly clear amber color, half inch of fine white head retains as a film.

Smells of caramel and sweet biscuit malts. The sweetness is like agave. Some mild fruity hoppiness at the end.

Tastes of sweet malt, again similar to agave, with some biscuity richness and a very mild hop bitterness.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the tongue.

I haven't had many, but this is the best gluten-free beer I've had so far. It's very drinkable and tastes pretty good. It still has a bit of that non-glutanized wang to it, but it works overall and I'd even choose to drink it.

3.54/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This Beer is the greatest Gluten-free beer on the market. I couldn't believe that they could make a gluten free beer this good. I have Celiacs disease and was so excited when I first had this beer. And then I had two, then three, then four. And then my stomach twisted into a giant knot and my brain became super cloudy and my eyes super tired. I had somehow ingested gluten. This beer is NOT Gluten Free! It has very low gluten, but it still has gluten. They brew this beer with gluten ingredients and then "eat" the gluten out with an enzyme, but it does not get it all.
IF you have Celiacs disease do not drink this beer. Even if you only have one and don't feel the affects of the gluten it destroys your intestines and your cancer rate skyrockets.
So, Shame on you Omission for hiding this fact. I'm sure you did your research on Celiac ridden people and if you didn't, shame on you again.

To good to be true..

3.39/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a pale copper color with off white head fine speckled lacing forms nicely, no complaints looks like beer. Smells like herbal mild citric hops, nice pleasant perceived sweetness definitely mimics breadiness even though these are grains that do not contain gluten. Tastes like a slightly sticky sweet pale ale, but comes off balanced like not cloying. Actual hop flavors the sorghum, rice, and other fermentables actually work better than most other attempts at gluten free beers. Easy to drink a fate hint of water soaked cardboard but I'm thinking it's just some grain I'm not familiar with. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied compared to most pale ales out there, minimal trace slick hops. Overall a beer that I could actually finish much better than your average gluten free offering, one that didn't induce pain to the senses.

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pale golden/orange in color, Omission Pale Ale has a mild nose of caramel and a faint amount of fruit- mainly lemon. The foam on this beer looks okay at first, but it doesn’t last very long. It does manage to redeem itself with a small amount of lacing, but the appearance is otherwise very ordinary.

Investigating the taste, this pale ale is middle of the road, but in a good way. Its primary flavors include toasted malt, caramel malt, toffee, and some citrus. It seemed like I was picking up lemon in the nose, but the fruit I taste is closer to oranges. The beer has a mildly bitter finish and is clean and drinkable.

I have sampled a few gluten free beers in my day and the Omission lineup seems like a good one compared to the rest. It tastes better than the beers that use sorghum and it’s smooth and drinkable. It’s not a big, rich pale ale like some craft beer fans are used to and demand. But it is a good pale ale overall. Celiac sufferers like beer, too, and its nice that Widmer Brothers has created a beer designed specifically for them.

4.09/5  rDev +20.3%

Wow, first of all I must say that I'm surprised at low this brew rates amongst my fellow advocates since - in spite of the natural discomfort that the gimmicky aspect of this beer might cause - I still consider this one to be well above average on the most relevant ( in my eyes at least) criterion - complexity and balance.

Now having said that, this is still not Elite. Its strong point is Its elusive complexity - took me some third party remarks to really take notice of some of the more subtle tropical fruit notes. Profile wise this beer is at a crossway between the English (think flowers and honey), American (strong citrusy character mostly tangerine / orange) and Kiwi (Mango comes to mind) Pale ales' traditional profile with a lovely, soft carbonation, unobtrusive bitterness and assertive flowery aftertaste.

Deserves more respect, in my opinion.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Clear amber colored ale with a small white colored head. Pretty standard looks.

Smells of northwestern style American hops with a curious strong mint scent., Malty and woody with a mild caramel scent to the malt. Mild tea aroma. I smell a normal pale ale.

Starts out mildly malty with a caramel flavor and a mild bitterness in the finish. Woody with a tea flavor and a mild grapefruit flavor. Gets more bitter as you drink it. Pretty average ale.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a pretty standard pale ale that doesn't taste like a gluten free beer. If you are forced to give up gluten this could be the beer for you.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle with a born on date of 8/7/13; into a pint glass.
Appearance - a surprisingly hazy orange. A mild, foamy white head with a bit of red sediment on the foam. Lacing is scattered.
Smell - surprisingly pleasant citrus hops nose, with a touch of sweet bread!
Taste - wow, I'm shocked by how good this is! Refreshing and balanced blend of hops and malts!
Feel - a fairly complex feel that works well for the style.
Overall - this is my first gluten free beer (not having by choice, rather because someone brought it over and left in my fridge!). Needless to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised! An outstanding introduction to a GF brew!

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For the last year I've confined my beers to gluten-free and my favorite are Widner Omission - Lager, IPA & Ale. The sky blue label is amber ale at 5.8%, with a caramel malt body and a somewhat bitter taste, which I like.

As most say, not bad for gluten-free. I'm not celiac, but like beer and hope for less beer belly. Not sure it works :-)

3.22/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz to a glass

A- pours a pretty light chestnut red with a fluffy 1 finger white head

S- grainy, some sweet caramel malts, metalic, faint lemon

T- lemon citrus, caramel, slight toffee, pennies, a touch of bitter on the end

M- Light to medium bodied, not a whole lot of body, but suprisingly more than i wouldve guessed. Light carbonation, very easy to drink.

O- my first gluten free beer, its very drinkable, not the most flavorful beer, not going to wow you, but its not bad.

4.74/5  rDev +39.4%

Great beer. I'm not too picky but this is my favorite beer of all time. I always buy this when I go to the store great Pale Ale a must try for anyone gluten intolerant or not. It has medium hops and definitely has bitterness to it. Decent alcohol content at 5.8 and feels great going down the hatch.

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle > Alpine Spring bow-tie glass.

A - Clear glass half a finger of fizzy white head, medium lacing.
S - Some sweet malt, light orange notes, biscuit malt, light grassy tones.
T - Sweet malt and thats about it for taste.
M - Well carbonated, but meh.
O - Weak, lacking flavor, give me the Gluten please.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Critiquing this beer within the context of GF beers, this is easily the most authentic tasting I've had. I have always been turned off by sorghum based beers, always seemed unnaturally sweet. This one tastes like a pale ale. Hazy amber/burnt orange in color with off white head. In the nose you can smell the hops, in the sip you can taste them. Pretty well balanced beer, easy on the pallet.
I eat a gluten free foods but I'm not celiac and because the gluten level in beer is relatively low, I drink whatever I want. With that in mind I probably won't seek this one out but if things change it would feel a lot less like the end if the world knowing this was out there. Though I still haven't tried the IPA...

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I picked this up at Wegmans enjoyed chilled in a goblet from the 12oz

The color is deep copper with thin white cap and tight bead pattern, there is a light hazed appearance. The smell is slightly piney with fruity ester and mild spiced yeast aroma. The feel is a great mix of bitter and mildly sweet with light dry finish with a moderatly high carbonation level.

The taste is good with a nice pine flavor up front from the hops with a subtle dried fruit presence and smidgen of citrus rind with a lingering bitter quality after the swallow. The hops contribute an herbal element in the finish. Overall I found this to be a drinkable pale, drinks like a lighter beer than it is and doesn't taste like other Gluten Free beers I have experienced I would certainly buy this again. I don't know why I passed it by before.

3.06/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to my buddy Mike for this!

Appearance. Pours a clear gold amber with a finger of off white head that fades pretty fast.

Smell. Sweet malts, toffee, orange juice.

Taste. Oranges, sweet malts, some earthy hops and toffee.

Mouthfeel. Below medium body. below medium carbonation.

Overall. Not a great pale ale but pretty decent as a gluten free beer. A good choice if you have the rich white person disease.

3.34/5  rDev -1.8%

Copper-red and translucent visually, this is a bit darker than your average pale ale. Seeing as this beer is also sweeter than I would expect; I'm going to go ahead and say that this probably has a higher portion rich and sweet specialty malts in the mash bill than your common pale ale. Coming in at 5.8% abv this alcohol content is good for a session beer. Cascade and Citra hops are present adding a nice piny and fruity flavor to beer but they could be more pronounced. I would also like more bitterness in this one. All and all its a good pale ale but not a great one. It deviates a bit from the style. Good beer nonetheless.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Bought at Specs in Austin. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A - Crystal clear orange color. Two fingers of light head that stick around as long as the nucleation point would allow. Decent lacing.

S - Floral hops, although they're pretty weak. I can't put my finger on the malts.

T/M - Tastes similar to an APA, but with just a little something missing (or dare I say, Omitted?).

O - Not bad for gluten free, but I would never search this out.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Omission Gluten-Free Pale Ale has a medium, frothy, off-white head, a mostly clear, amber appearance, with some streaming bubbles, descending little chunks, and decent lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, hoppy, rich barley and bread crust, and the taste is of those elements, with pronounced bitterness and an underlying "health-food store" flavor note. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and a bit chewy, and Omission Gluten-Free Pale Ale finishes wet, rich, and chewy. Overall, this is very good and interesting.

3.91/5  rDev +15%

There's a joke that says that gluten is another word for flavor and gluten free means it tastes bad. I actually had no idea this was gluten free and anticipated reviewing this highly despite the finding.

Very coppery in appearance the head was sort of fizzy and built well but soon collapsed with no lacing or so much as a bubble.

The scent was strong barley with some roasted grain and nuttiness. No real hop scent to speak of.

This has a deeply satisfying and robust barley, bran and nut flavor. Touches of roasted and toasted grains settle well with the pronounced barley flavor. There is a hint of hops at the very end that holds piney through the aftertaste and adds authenticity to this Pale Ale. The feel is robust and flavorful but also crisp and refreshing.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Perfect Pint:

A=Honey colored, very slight cloudiness, and a two finger head that lasted well over a minute...I found it inviting.

S=Sweet, citrusy--lemon and orange--but not artificial...very appealing.

T=Definite sweet butter flavor, with citrus and herbal notes--particularly peach. A bit more hops than others also dominated the taste.

M=Above average body with modest carbonation...smoothness and creaminess offset by heavier body and herbal hop notes...not a session beer.

O=A decent beer that might pair well with barbecued meats or saltier foods...a bit too sweet for me to drink on a regular basis, but worth trying if you haven't found a gluten-free beer that suits your taste.

3.06/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Not sure why this wound up in a recent mixed six.

Dark saturated orange, compact layer of soapy foam that remains for a good while. Some nice lacing around the edges, copious trails of rising carbonation.

Aromas of mild dried orange peel, some sweetness.

Tastes a bit dull but like a pale ale, some hoppy bitterness and bread yeast flavors, a little bit slick in feel. Dull with no bite, slight bitterness again in the finish. Overall passable if you're on a gluten-free diet, but sorely lacking as a Pale Ale.

3.96/5  rDev +16.5%

In a land of cider-esque GF "beer", I have to say it's one of the best that I've tried. It actually tastes like beer! Lovely amber color, nice head, decent mouthfeel, really smooth finish. Drank it with food (tamari and sesame glazed salmon) and it was a very nice accompaniment. This will be a staple in my household for sure.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean orange-ish too yellow color with a light tan head. In the aroma, sweeter, with honey and clove notes. In the taste, dry raisin like sweetness, and a bit sticky sweet. A small bite, but mainly smooth with a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry honey like and gritty aftertaste. Not that good of a pale, but for gluten free, decent.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company