Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 04-13-2012

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Deep coppery orange with moderate head and virtually no lacing

S: Nothing much of note. Some bready yeast and a little ripe fruit, but not much on the nose at all.

T: A surprisingly rich, drinkable brew. Enough hops to cut through the substantial malt. A bit of sweetness up front, quickly subdued by the hops.

M: Crisp and refreshing. Doesn't linger for long, but does sparkle a bit.

O: Not sure if this is a beer that ages surprisingly well, or if I was just in the mood for it tonight, but I thoroughly enjoyed this bottle after being pretty unimpressed with the the lack of flavor presented by first two I drank several weeks ago. I don't know as I'd actively seek this out, as there are many pale ales I enjoy more, but if you have gluten issues, this would be a great option. Light enough to serve as a session beer, but with enough flavor to enjoy every glass.

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on March 29, 2013.

The pour is medium amber to copper orange with a small, lingering head.

Sweetness on the nose as well as light malts and a pear-like fruitiness too.

The body is around medium but nice and creamy.

The taste goes through the motions of a pale ale with an upfront malty sweetness followed by a mildly bitter ending. The difference is that there is this pear-like hint to it too that gives it a little character. Drinkable for sure.

1.69/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Poured a clean amber color with a very thin white soap ring head.

The nose has a light sweet caramel malt quality to it.

Wow is this bad, cloyingly sweet up front, no hop flavor other than some astringent bitterness in the finish. This beer has absolutely no middle, just badly sweet right to badly astringent. Just bad.

Watery and thin mouthfeel.

I'm sure its tough to make a good gluten free pale, but this is terrible, especially being a pale ale, if they used good hops of enough abundance they could mask the awful gluten free malt bill, but they did a poor job at both ends of the spectrum on this.

4.02/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Ah ha! I stumbled upon their secret on their website. It has been brewed with barley and the gluten removed probably via flocculation. Whether or not it is really gluten free and the ELISA test is accurate is debatable. If you have hardcore Celiacs, you will want to do more research into the contents of this beer and the fact that recently ELISA testing methods have been questioned as to whether or not they are 100% effective. For me, this is a great alternative as I don't think that I have full blown Celiacs. I haven't been tested as I haven't had medical benefits for a while. But it's nice to know that gluten can be mostly flocculated out with natural additives that are also used for clearing up your beer. I'm pretty sure that they are natural. Don't quote me on that.

The beer pours a coppery amber color and is crystal clear with an off-white thin head that fades to a ring and a tiny Friar Tuck type center cap. After a while it starts to fade, but while doing so during the drink it leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is an extremely pleasant and balance mix of floral west coast hops with a bit of caramel malt sweetness and the tiniest aroma of citrus. It's quite nice.

This beer is an APA. It starts off a little flat with a hop bite and as it moves across the tongue the malt sweetness comes through while the citrusy hoppy flavor stays along for the ride. The finish is a little flat and dry with a little bit of black pepper, but it's pretty well balanced.

As for mouthfeel and body, well, the body is a little light. If you put it side by side with your avarage APA you'd think it was a little watery. It is, however, mildly sweet balanced with hops and is a great alternative for gluten intolerants like me. I hate to use the word "Glutards" as it grates on my soul to think that most people think this is all in our heads and we should just "man up" and eat pizza. Can I hear an "AMEN" from all the Glutards? How many think you are crazy too? Has the term "bitch-slap" ever crossed your mind in relation to such folks? Anyway, this is great. The carbonation is moderate and not too lively.

Overall, I'd say that this is the best Gluten Free that I have had, BUT is it really gluten free? That is the question. It is more like a modifed American Pale Ale. If judging by APA standards, I'd say that it was watery. That is not always a bad thing because it makes the beer sessionable. Will I seek this beer out again, HAYLE yes! In the gluten free realm, this beer scores overall 4.25, or better, out of 5. In the APA world, 3.6 or so.

3.19/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a nice amber or golden brownish glow. Features a nice creamy white large head that leads to a disorganized thick lacing. Nose is slight. Some sweet citrusy notes. Taste is of a quality standard pale with some citrus and nice malt. No flavor really comes to the fore. Apparently they can't call it gluten free. I' d like to see what my gluten friends think about it. I also worry about what they have to do to get the gluten out. Chemicals?

If glut people can actually drink this, it's got to taste better than the glut free brews.

4.75/5  rDev +40.9%

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Rich amber with decent off-white head.

Smell: Mild citrus with some toasted, grainy malt.

Taste: Tastes exactly like the typical American Pale Ale, which means it tastes damn good. Nice mix of citrusy hops and toasted malts. Finish is spicy and somewhat bitter. Really tastes about halfway between SN Pale Ale and Kona Fire Rock. Does not taste gluten free at all.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, nice dry finish.

Overall: This is a straight down the middle Pale Ale - no flourishes, nothing out of the ordinary, just very well executed. And considering this is made for those with gluten issues, I am not surprised they went the more safe route. I think some are suppressing their scores because this is gluten free, which is ridiculous. While I do not have to avoid gluten, if I did, this would be my staple.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Omission - a pale ale unlike one I've had to date.

The brew pours out a cloudly orangish-brown color, not so appealing. The head is frothy, lite, thin, and short lived, but it had surprising staying power with good lacing. Very nice smell for a pale ale - citrusy, apples, oranges. The beer had just the right amount of carbonation, even though it had the distinct after taste I dislike to IPAs and pale ales. The taste was like most pale ales but at least the taste of oranges and apples came through - a nice touch. Overall, I gave it a good score since it was by far the best smelling and tasting pale ale I've had to date. What ever it is they omitted, more pale ale makers should omit as well.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%