Drop Top Amber - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Pale, Caramel 10L,
Extra Special, Honey Malt

hops:
Alchemy, Simcoe
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drop Top Amber Alström Bros
Ratings: 403 | Reviews: 229

this has been my favorite amber ale for years. Lots of flavor. Easy drinking. Then suddenly the local distributor who handles Widmer stopped carrying Drop Top. Can't even get it at BevMo in Nor Cal.

4.04/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks Donkster46!

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass.

Appearance (3.75) : Bubbly three fingered head that's not exactly tightly woven, but rather foamy and spread out somewhat. The carbonation from the body is feeding the fizz of the bubbles to the head. The body is a true amber color, with lots of golden and honey color. Opacity is about 20%.

Aroma (4) : Ginger, honey, coriander, some plant, butterscotch, and starch. Smells like an old persons' candy piece. It's definitely unique from every amber I've ever laid nose to, so that's something. The bouquet is medium strength.

Taste (4.25): Yeah. The ginger and honey comes out almost immediately. It's got this strange twang to it that's just simply delicious. A few tea notes. It's bready and yeasty, too. In the middle there's some corn or wheat notes but very faintly. It ends like a pleasant, spicy throat lozenge. Out of the bottle it's a bit too concentrated and bubbly, so I recommend pouring this one. At the tail end there's a faint bit of citrus rind hops balance out the malt character just right. It just tastes super.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : Zippy but creamy. Not like miracle whip, but like a good beer. Ends semi-dry.

Overall (4.04) : I'll pick up some more of this, if I can find it. It's great stuff, and I think it's a unique representation of an amber ale. It's easy to drink and relax with, but crafty enough to warrant a decent review. The ginger and honey with spicy throat lozenge really doctors it up a bit. I like their unique take on this amber beer. I will be buying more in the future.

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottled 7/18/14m poured into a pint glass

A- pours a crystal clear amber color with a one-finger fizzy & bubbly white head that reduces quickly, leaving just a trace of head behind 3.5

S- flowery hops with some herbal aromas, along with steeped green tea. Toasted biscuit malt gives a hint of caramel, along with a honey sweetness 3.75

T- toasted biscuit malty base with a hint of caramel & honey, tea-like hop bitterness with some floral notes, light pepper finish with a hint of mint 3.5

M- medium-light body with moderate prickly carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel & a semi-dry finish 3.5

O- pretty flavorful amber that highly sessionable with enough complexity to keep it away from mediocrity 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Pale amber with thin white head.
Caramel nose with hints of pine and lemon.
Toffee apple up front with some toasty granola, then light passionfruit, pine, and resin.
Vague pine cone (earthy, woody) finish and grapefruit rind linger.
Light, slight cling, round.

Too thin, with malt over hops, which don't do Simcoe justice. Drinks like Sam Adams, which is not a compliment. Amber for Dummies.

2.31/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Clear amber with a dense off white head with decent retention and lacing. The nose is a blend of caramel, cascade hops, toast, brown sugar, citrus and toffee. The palate opens moderately toasty and caramel like, but exceedingly thin and watery. Hop character is mild, with a faint bitterness, mild flavor and a touch of mineral. A touch of honey is present. The finish is dry and lacks flavor. Rather mediocre IMO.

3.17/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I had this beer at a wedding up in the mountains. It was the first beer I tried as there were many in the "beer tub", but I figured this was the heaviest one, drink it first before I started dancing like MJ

Pours a dirty amber with somewhat foamy head. Looks a bit light

Aroma has a muddle of hops and sweet nuttiness. The malt strains to be recognized and the hops sort of bow out. Sweetness comes out on top.

Flavor sees the grains struggle to keep pace with the sweetness. There's a sweetness from malt and grains and sweetness from sugar added, this is the latter. Seems fake and thin, lacking depth. The hops just don't add enough to hide this. Feels so-so.
Not a pour out beer, but I didn't wish to seek another...unless the other options were watery "pilsners".

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A very good taste for a casual beer. Best served by bottle. Roasty, caramel taste that hits the spot for an amber ale. It has a very great scent. A cheaper, but good quality, beer. I recommend it for when you aren't interested in spending $14 on a six pack, but still want a great taste.

4.18/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.25

Very solid beer. Has sort of a strange mouthfeel but I'd buy it again. The smell was fantastic. Smells like a beer ought to smell. Feels a bit lighter than it really is. Works well with Mexican food, which frankly is one of my biggest concerns of ANY beer.

Very fine beer from a good brewery.

2.74/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

I have had a few beers from this brewing company, and have never been impressed. Even their special release beers are mediocre at best. Breweries like this have a place in craft beer, but should only serve as a starting point for people that haven't experienced craft beer. However, I am giving Drop Top another shot, and will drink this beer with an open mind. Hopefully it will have a better flavor than I remember and will do this review justice. Of course, PBR is also on our list. (PBR isn't a bad beer, to be honest. I would order that over a Miller or Coors Light.)

Oh, and Sheryl asked if I was going to "drop my top". Not sure that makes sense… but I will leave my shirt on for this review.

In the Glass: The beer has a nice orange color to it, and provided a thick head. A thicker head than I expected. The head quickly dissipates, but it was a lot thicker than I expected. The beer is also creating a nice lace in the glass. For $1.29, and coming from this brewing company, it is already starting to exceed my expectations. Hopefully it smells as good as it looks.

Nose: Didn't see that coming. Better yet, didn't smell that coming. At first I am hit with a ton of caramel aromas that quickly turn to wheat and earthy notes. The carmel smells like those little caramel candies that you can just suck on for hours on end. I will admit, I don't traditionally like ambers… but I don't remember my last amber smelling like this. If this tastes like carmel, I might go buy a case tomorrow!

Flavor: Considering what this smells like, I had some pretty high expectations for the flavor profile. It's good, but doesn't quite taste like it smells. Those same carmel notes are kicking in toward the end of the swallow, but it is a bit too carbonated for my liking. I would like to see a beer like this barrel aged. Why not? Every other brewing company is aging their beers in barrels. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, but I don't think a beer like this will do much as it heats up.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles here, and while some beers can get away with it, based on the aroma in this beer I expected it to be a tad bit thicker with less carbonation. The beer does produce a somewhat drying finish, but overall, this is a very basic beer. Cool name and I love the label… but I wouldn't order this out.

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. Those same caramel notes that I was smelling are back. They are not as pronounced as they were on the nose, but they are subtle and drying in the finish. The aftertaste is weak, and doesn't last long… but was enjoyable enough for me to finish my glass.

LIke I said, beers like this have a place in craft beer. That place just isn't in my cellar. I am glad that beers like this are on the list, as there are a lot of people that need to start with styles like this. Just because you are new to craft beer doesn't mean an IPA is right for you. Actually, if you are new to craft beer, DO NOT drink an IPA. Start light and work your way to the hoppier and darker beers. You'll thank me later as your palate grows to appreciating a good craft beer.

3.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A finger and a half of head on a clear, medium straw colored body.
The aroma is milled grain, hay and orange. NIce.
The flavor is smooth with a mild malt sweet and mild lemon bitterness.
The texture is soft with moderate carbonation.
It's tasty and sessionable.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Clear, golden-orange in color, with a modest white head, which fairly quickly fades to a scattering of foam. Fine-beaded lacing coats the glass walls, the carbonation is moderate.

Aroma: Mild caramel malt and some pine hops.

Taste: Begins with moderate sweet caramel notes, with a little toasted malt as well. The is a slight sweet note distinct from the caramel malt, perhaps the result of the lactose. Homemade bread notes are present throughout as well, yielding a pleasing sweetness. Moderate pine hops bring the taste to a balanced close.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A pleasant and inoffensive example, easy to drink, but not particularly memorable.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Bottled 6/21/12.

Pours a slightly hazy honey orange with a foamy orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt and some caramel aromas. Taste is of toasted malt and some slightly sweet caramel flavors. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer for what it is but nothing all that special.

1.9/5  rDev -44.3%

12oz : pint glass

Pours amber orange with a fizzy off white head that dissipates quickly to almost nothing.

Pretty subdued nose and palate, but consists of grassy hops, and sweet malts.

Medium body, fairly low carbonation.

A bit disappointing overall. Very simple, boring flavors with low carbonation.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance - Pours a semi-clear bright amber orange with a half finger head, poor retention and spotty lacing.

Smell - Faint caramel notes and a touch of must.

Taste - Surprisingly deep, flavorful caramel malts upfront, with subtle notes of toffee. Citrus and floral hop characters wave by at a distance. Notes of honey and butter around the edges. Finishes as it starts, and fades quickly.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Carbonated deceivingly well with a sharp bite and a smooth trip down the esophagus. Somewhat creamy.

Overall - A good amber. The lack of any real hop presence can cause this beer to get a bit rich after a few, but I always look forward to drinking at least the first one.

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured a amber colored body and a small head. Lacing settles to a cloud in the middle quite fast. Not much to talk about on the smell.. floral, some hops, honey and some lemon zest. Some juicy fruit picked up by the palate. Hint of biscuit, spices, and orange peel. Semi watery mouthfeel and a dry finish. Easy to drink and would probably kick back a few with no problem.

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer pours a clear gold with no head or lace. A bit pale for an amber. It's aroma is of bread, cake, and caramel. The flavor leads with pine and toffee with molasses in the finish as it warms. The mouthfeel is light-medium and smooth. Widmer Drop Top is a good brew, well balanced and drinkable. Recommended!

2.61/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I thought I was on top of this, well....until I managed to drop. The taste is something that I have not experienced before. The head is snow white snow drift until you notice the subtle bits of pollen that have fallen from the tall pines above from the late winter weather. Smell happens to smell like some sort of beer, nothing special. Nothing there to tingle any of the senses from the nostrils. Tflavor is mixed, yet I could questions the tubes, but I can tell it was the brewery. I think this is overpriced for what its worth. There is nothing special here, just a mix of a batch of trickery. No need to waste more time on this one.

nice beer that is always easy to find here in boise. smooth with out over powering. Somewhat of a classic amber
smell standard brown
appearance- brown in color with red shining through
taste is sweet with carmel
overall nice classic beer to pick up on the way to a party.

3.81/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a golden-amber with a thumb and a half width white head. Nice retention and lacing. Sweet and bready with a little floral thrown into the aroma. Flavor matches the aroma quite well, with the sweet breadiness being the main focus in the flavor and some honey showing itself in the finish. A nice crisp and silky medium body to this. A very nice take on an amber. Much more crisp than the typical amber, imo, making this one of the most sessionable beers of the style for me (though thats a relative statement as amber ales aren't a style I can drink too much of at a time given). This definitely surpassed my expectations for it and has me a tad surprised that the ratings on this site are so low for this beer.

4.24/5  rDev +24.3%

Appearance - Nothing special here.
Smell - Sweet, mellow hop bouquet.
Taste - Good light hefe flavors mix with a very well balanced hint of lemon to end a near ephemeral earthy wheat aftertaste.
Mouthfeel - A little foamy but otherwise the normal filling, effervescent style of an Amber you'd expect.
Overall - A well put together beer. Nothing fancy, but a microbrew deserving of the few extra bucks at the store.

3.69/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: it has a light amber body, the head and lace were both very light almost to the point of not existance.

Smell: Caramel malt with a bit of fruity tones.

Taste: This has a very mixed fruity taste that is not mad but hard to describe. There is some caramel and hops to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Moderatly thin with out being watery.

Overall: It has an orginal flavor that I like. As far as taste I like it better than most Widmer offerings.

3.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Today is one huge homage to my local trader, tone77, for whom I am deeply thankful. He keeps me in bottles when I would surround myself in CANs and gloss over everything else. Bottled beer CAN be as compelling as CANned beers but I tend to lose focus what with The CANQuest (TM).

I have a patch that reads: "Unless you have ridden/driven a motorcycle, you won't understand a dog's excitement." The label depicts this better than any Ralph Steadman Flying Dog label, you feel me, dog? Dog, the Bounty Hunter will be on soon. I am dog tired and it is time for the Dog Watch as I see sun dogs in the sky. Doggone, isn't there a review forthcoming?

I chose an aggro pour to develop just over a finger of dense, tawny head with good retention. The color was a deep orangish-amber, but not red enough to cause me slaver over it. The clarity was all that and a bag of Fritos, which I always have on-hand in case of munchies. Nose was far hoppier than I expected and my mouth began to water. Give thanks to the West Coast breweries who seem to have an abundance of hops and who are unafraid to use 'em. My first sip was of big malt, initially, followed by intense hoppiness and my tongue began to loll out of my mouth. "Let's ride," she said and I hopped on the back. I continued to really enjoy this beer, an easy sipper on a laid-back holiday in which I was doing more maintenance drinking than trying to get my fill. The finish was semi-sweet, which was just fine by me at this point. I have IPAs on-hand if I need 'em, but this was the right kind of mellow at the right time. I may start up some laundry to really enliven the day. Bottom line: if you are looking to kick start your day, this is not the beer. If you want a nice, mellow day with the dog, pop this open and go for a spin.

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

pours a copper color with a thick off white head. doesnt smell like much, a bit of caramel maltiness, but nothing much to speak of. taste is fairly bland for an amber, but not unpleasant, just not distinct. it is well balanced though. fuller bodied with good carbonation make the mouthfeel excellent for this beer, smooth and creamy, just not a whole lot going on to excite the palate.

1.98/5  rDev -41.9%

Bought this at the Corner Market in Laurel Ms.
Bottle has a bottle date on it of 01-26-10. This means that this was bottled more than 22 months ago, and may be why this brew was so nasty. This was a mix and make your own 6 pack so it was the only Drop Top Amber I bought.
It poured with very little head that was quickly gone. It was very cloudy and hazy.
The smell was or sour old rags.
I would like to try this beer from a bottle brewed within 6 months of me opening it. This was just bad beer and can't believe that I got to taste the beer as it should be.

3.38/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big bubble beige head covers a light wood orange nectar...Lemon is the number one scent I keep finding in Widmer products, not saying its a bad thing, perhaps amarillo and cascade hops? Sweet caramel candy hit the tongue with a smile and a nod to lemons and a hint of euro yeast. Let his baby warm a tad and she opens up. Good light medium body and mini carbonation tingle the tastebuds.

Ok so this and other Widmer Standards was easy to put down. I'd say they make American session beers, except I don't condone driving drunk :)

Slainte!