Drop Top Amber - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Pale, Caramel 10L,
Extra Special, Honey Malt

hops:
Alchemy, Simcoe

(Beer added by: Zraly on 03-11-2003)
View: Beers (78) |  Events
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.66/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

I have had a few beers from this brewing company, and have never been impressed. Even their special release beers are mediocre at best. Breweries like this have a place in craft beer, but should only serve as a starting point for people that haven't experienced craft beer. However, I am giving Drop Top another shot, and will drink this beer with an open mind. Hopefully it will have a better flavor than I remember and will do this review justice. Of course, PBR is also on our list. (PBR isn't a bad beer, to be honest. I would order that over a Miller or Coors Light.)

Oh, and Sheryl asked if I was going to "drop my top". Not sure that makes sense… but I will leave my shirt on for this review.

In the Glass: The beer has a nice orange color to it, and provided a thick head. A thicker head than I expected. The head quickly dissipates, but it was a lot thicker than I expected. The beer is also creating a nice lace in the glass. For $1.29, and coming from this brewing company, it is already starting to exceed my expectations. Hopefully it smells as good as it looks.

Nose: Didn't see that coming. Better yet, didn't smell that coming. At first I am hit with a ton of caramel aromas that quickly turn to wheat and earthy notes. The carmel smells like those little caramel candies that you can just suck on for hours on end. I will admit, I don't traditionally like ambers… but I don't remember my last amber smelling like this. If this tastes like carmel, I might go buy a case tomorrow!

Flavor: Considering what this smells like, I had some pretty high expectations for the flavor profile. It's good, but doesn't quite taste like it smells. Those same carmel notes are kicking in toward the end of the swallow, but it is a bit too carbonated for my liking. I would like to see a beer like this barrel aged. Why not? Every other brewing company is aging their beers in barrels. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, but I don't think a beer like this will do much as it heats up.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles here, and while some beers can get away with it, based on the aroma in this beer I expected it to be a tad bit thicker with less carbonation. The beer does produce a somewhat drying finish, but overall, this is a very basic beer. Cool name and I love the label… but I wouldn't order this out.

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. Those same caramel notes that I was smelling are back. They are not as pronounced as they were on the nose, but they are subtle and drying in the finish. The aftertaste is weak, and doesn't last long… but was enjoyable enough for me to finish my glass.

LIke I said, beers like this have a place in craft beer. That place just isn't in my cellar. I am glad that beers like this are on the list, as there are a lot of people that need to start with styles like this. Just because you are new to craft beer doesn't mean an IPA is right for you. Actually, if you are new to craft beer, DO NOT drink an IPA. Start light and work your way to the hoppier and darker beers. You'll thank me later as your palate grows to appreciating a good craft beer.

03-11-2013 21:51:40 | More by rickyleepotts

DaveMiller

03-26-2014 22:03:07 | More by DaveMiller
StJamesGate

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Pale amber with thin white head.
Caramel nose with hints of pine and lemon.
Toffee apple up front with some toasty granola, then light passionfruit, pine, and resin.
Vague pine cone (earthy, woody) finish and grapefruit rind linger.
Light, slight cling, round.

Too thin, with malt over hops, which don't do Simcoe justice. Drinks like Sam Adams, which is not a compliment. Amber for Dummies.

03-10-2014 23:08:00 | More by StJamesGate

PhillipNordwall

10-29-2013 04:59:59 | More by PhillipNordwall
DefenCorps

2.28/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Clear amber with a dense off white head with decent retention and lacing. The nose is a blend of caramel, cascade hops, toast, brown sugar, citrus and toffee. The palate opens moderately toasty and caramel like, but exceedingly thin and watery. Hop character is mild, with a faint bitterness, mild flavor and a touch of mineral. A touch of honey is present. The finish is dry and lacks flavor. Rather mediocre IMO.

10-26-2013 00:28:14 | More by DefenCorps

09-24-2013 23:46:47 | More by Erik-P
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I had this beer at a wedding up in the mountains. It was the first beer I tried as there were many in the "beer tub", but I figured this was the heaviest one, drink it first before I started dancing like MJ

Pours a dirty amber with somewhat foamy head. Looks a bit light

Aroma has a muddle of hops and sweet nuttiness. The malt strains to be recognized and the hops sort of bow out. Sweetness comes out on top.

Flavor sees the grains struggle to keep pace with the sweetness. There's a sweetness from malt and grains and sweetness from sugar added, this is the latter. Seems fake and thin, lacking depth. The hops just don't add enough to hide this. Feels so-so.
Not a pour out beer, but I didn't wish to seek another...unless the other options were watery "pilsners".

09-24-2013 21:59:10 | More by Mebuzzard