Drop Top Amber - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

original gravity: 12.25° PLATO

Pale, Caramel 10L,
Extra Special, Honey Malt

Alchemy, Simcoe
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drop Top Amber Alström Bros
2.74/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

I have had a few beers from this brewing company, and have never been impressed. Even their special release beers are mediocre at best. Breweries like this have a place in craft beer, but should only serve as a starting point for people that haven't experienced craft beer. However, I am giving Drop Top another shot, and will drink this beer with an open mind. Hopefully it will have a better flavor than I remember and will do this review justice. Of course, PBR is also on our list. (PBR isn't a bad beer, to be honest. I would order that over a Miller or Coors Light.)

Oh, and Sheryl asked if I was going to "drop my top". Not sure that makes sense… but I will leave my shirt on for this review.

In the Glass: The beer has a nice orange color to it, and provided a thick head. A thicker head than I expected. The head quickly dissipates, but it was a lot thicker than I expected. The beer is also creating a nice lace in the glass. For $1.29, and coming from this brewing company, it is already starting to exceed my expectations. Hopefully it smells as good as it looks.

Nose: Didn't see that coming. Better yet, didn't smell that coming. At first I am hit with a ton of caramel aromas that quickly turn to wheat and earthy notes. The carmel smells like those little caramel candies that you can just suck on for hours on end. I will admit, I don't traditionally like ambers… but I don't remember my last amber smelling like this. If this tastes like carmel, I might go buy a case tomorrow!

Flavor: Considering what this smells like, I had some pretty high expectations for the flavor profile. It's good, but doesn't quite taste like it smells. Those same carmel notes are kicking in toward the end of the swallow, but it is a bit too carbonated for my liking. I would like to see a beer like this barrel aged. Why not? Every other brewing company is aging their beers in barrels. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, but I don't think a beer like this will do much as it heats up.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles here, and while some beers can get away with it, based on the aroma in this beer I expected it to be a tad bit thicker with less carbonation. The beer does produce a somewhat drying finish, but overall, this is a very basic beer. Cool name and I love the label… but I wouldn't order this out.

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. Those same caramel notes that I was smelling are back. They are not as pronounced as they were on the nose, but they are subtle and drying in the finish. The aftertaste is weak, and doesn't last long… but was enjoyable enough for me to finish my glass.

LIke I said, beers like this have a place in craft beer. That place just isn't in my cellar. I am glad that beers like this are on the list, as there are a lot of people that need to start with styles like this. Just because you are new to craft beer doesn't mean an IPA is right for you. Actually, if you are new to craft beer, DO NOT drink an IPA. Start light and work your way to the hoppier and darker beers. You'll thank me later as your palate grows to appreciating a good craft beer.

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance - this pours orange-amber with a one-finger white head. It practically has no retention that I witnessed. There is light lacing.

Smell - The nose is malty and not much else.

Taste - Light citrus and somewhat grainy. Fruity-hop flavors help the lackluster taste.

Mouthfeel - this one is watery and light.

Drinkablilty - Very little interests me in this beer, and I could scarcely finish it. This is not interesting for an American Amber Ale.

2.79/5  rDev -17%

A- light amber with a very light tan head that laces the glass nicely.

S- very little aroma but what is there seems to be balanced very well between malt and hops.

T- sweet malt flavor with a floral/fruity hop flavor. It almost tastes like it is hopped more for a pale ale than an amber ale and between the hops and malt it is too sweet. The two don't work together like they should.

M- very good level of carbonation for the style.

D- average, nothing I would run to the store for.

2.8/5  rDev -16.7%

This amber colored beer has an average looking beige head. The nose is a bit light with some grainy malts and slightly bitter hops. The taste is more of the same. Nothing too exciting with this ale. A light to medium body body goes down smooth. A drinkable brew, but nothing special.

2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

I ordered this beer in a restaurant, served in a tall (22 oz) pilsner glass.

It has a medium nut brown color, minimal head, thin and white not foamy. A little lacing on the glass.

There is not much smell, and what little aroma there is, is generally unremarkable.

The taste is light, slightly bitter. It is hoppy with a faint malt flavor. The aftertaste is short-lived and slightly bitter. Nothing special. .

This is a slightly more robust and flavorful version of a macro beer. It’s drinkable but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Drinking from a large pilsner glass, the flavor, head and lacing were better at the narrow bottom of the glass.

2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

Widmer- Drop Top Amber

A- Flat looking light reddish copper with a quick fizzy head.
S- Very faint sweet malt. Slight licorice touch.
T- Again very faint/ watery. Mild sweet malt, licorice/ molasses, and grassy earthy hops.
M- Thin and watery with a sweet malty body and a decent dry earty hop bite in the back end.

Overall- Bland and lifeless. Drinkable but not worth it.

2.86/5  rDev -14.9%

Unremarkable. It looks nice: decent nut-brown head and a colorful amber body. However, the nose is sweet and full of hay, the taste overpoweringly sweet, with a hint of hops and metal at the end. Mouthfeel is thin. Drinkability average. I won't purchase this again, especially if I am in the mood for an American Amber that has some hops you can feel deep down in your soul. This stuff was just too sweet to be refreshing, and lacked any real memorable character.

2.87/5  rDev -14.6%

A - Decent color

S - Little light on the caramel and honey and too strong on the hops

T - Same with smell, but hops after taste was not balanced. Too much hops for an amber ale.

M - Too light on the carbonation and after taste was metalic.

D - Could drink one easily, but that's it.

Buy again? - No
Recommend? - No
Drink if offerered - maybe, if I was already tipsy.

Overall - Not what I expected from an amber ale. too little on caramel, too strong on hops, with not enough carbonation

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Bottled on June 25, 2009. Single purchased from a broken six-pack at local grocer for $1.00, or $5.99 a sixer on sale.

A-Pours a light amber with a one finger light tan head, which receded into a scant lacing.

S-Faint floral hops and a mild caramel malt aroma.

T-What taste? It looked like beer. It even smelled like beer, but I couldn't discern much taste. And what little that was there was slightly bitter.

M-This was about all this beer had going for it. But, this is lost when taste is lacking. Very smooth, well carbonated. This beer just begs to have flavor. Odd.

D-No thanks. My second beer from this seemingly popular, but mediocre craft brewery. Glad I tried it while on sale.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to mmmmBEEEER for the bottle. This beer is a pale orange-amber color with a medium thin and bubbly off-white head that dissipates quickly. Spotty lacing on the glass. Mild malt aroma with underlying hops. Medium-bodied yet watery at times, with caramel malt, nut and light hops flavors. The finish is sweet and malty and short-lived, leaving just a hint of hops aftertaste. Yawn.

2.91/5  rDev -13.4%

A= pale amber to an almost copper color with a little head that holds great lacing along the glass
S= toasted malts all the way with some carmel smells coming in making this beer smell very sweet
T= SWEET! Wow I've never had a beer this sweet. The toasted malt and carmel were all I got. No hop bitterness or anything else. It was almost candy like.
M= sticky as hell, chewy and smooth...
D= average but its so damn sweet. It almost tasted like a wort it was so sweet. The sweetness would turn me off after a little while and prolly give me a sugar belly, good thing I only had one.

2.92/5  rDev -13.1%

Medium amber color with carbonation bubbles galore! They cling to the glass oddly like a soda. One inch head, which required a semi-aggressive pour, levels out to a thin film quickly; hazy; no lacing

Pretty mild, but picking up some sweetness—caramel and apricot

Good initial hop bite that fades quickly and is replaced with a caramel sweetness; very little aftertaste; fairly weak malt profile; the hops define the character of this beer, which is odd; some light and tart fruitiness, similar to peach or apricot

It's a tasty beer, a bit on the weak side, but not quite what I expect for an amber ale. The hops, while I enjoy them, define the beer more than the caramel malts. It's a bit too thin for me.

2.92/5  rDev -13.1%

Nice medium amber hue with white head that disappears fast. Smell of slightly more hops than malt and a touch of sweetness as it warms. Bright, lively inviting smell, similar to an IPA. Taste is smooth, creamy, and very muted malt and hoppy flavors, with only a tiny bit of bitterness. Finish is quick and mild. Overall, a very easy to drink watery amber without much depth or flavor. Just ok.

2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

i got this beer at the 7-11, opting not to choose the old pbr standard. i wasn't incredibly impressed, but it ain't bad.

poured into a speakeasy pint glass.

A - rich, pink-amber color with a very pale 1 inch head. pretty much completely transparent. the head sunk quickly and left minimal to no lacing. lots of visible carbonation.

S - i couldn't really get much out of the smell, but i'm not one known for keen olfaction. i picked up some fruity and woody hops, but not much else

T - starts off somewhat watery, but as the carbonation started to burn my tongue, i got some notes of citrus. the malt is there too. mildly bitter, hops finish.

M - again, starts off a bit watery, a thin mouthfeel, but after the swollow, it lingers, coating the back of my tongue. i'd rather more consistancy here.

D - i'd have this again, but if i'm back at the 7-11 soon, i may opt for another beer of the same price range.

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Consumed 9/2/09- from notes.

Brown 12oz bottle poureed into a shaker glass. Bottled on date on the label.

A- Dark amber with a thin tan head that was gone so quick I wasnt sure I saw it. No lacing to speak of. Mildly active carbination.

S- Didnt get much here. A little caramelesque sweet hint was about it.

T- A little stronger than the nose, tasted pretty much like sweet biscuits.

M- Light body, a little too watery. The carbination wasnt very noticable.

D- Pretty easy to drink but not really worth the effort. I was torn between drinking iut a drain pouring it the whole time. I guess it would make a good session brew if the only other options were macros.

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%

Not terrible but my rating reflects what it is; a mass produced red ale a la Bud's American Ale for the casual drinker to have something heavier and maltier AKA sweeter. Has a good seethru brownish red body with slightly tan head, but then a grainy caramel malt smell with somewhat medicinal hop smell. Taste is a little ragged and course with some sweetness and a slightly dry backbite w/ little hop flavor. Not bad but I will not be seeking this one out at all.

2.99/5  rDev -11%

Pours a cooper, amber color without much head. The head does not stay too long at all. Lacing stays on top of the beer the whole time but does not stick to the glass.

Smell - Very muted but I did pick up some malt. slight notes of hops as well.

Taste - In all honesty, Not too much going on. Some smooth malt and finishes with a little bit of bitterness and carbonation. Not sure what other way to describe the finish.

Mouthfeel - Decently carbonated but definitely on the watery thin side.

Not one of the best Ambers I've had but its a decent beer. This reminded me more of a british style beer due to the malt and caramel base of this beer. Not bad!

Pours two finger cream head that fades slowly, leaving some lace. Nearly clear amber color. light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Pine and earthy hop nose and flavor is mild caramel, faint breadyness and light piney hops. Dry piney finish. 12oz bottle - gift.

Definitely nice that I can get this on tap even in the worst dive bars...it's become one of the decent choices when you're out in 'non-beer geek' locations. Thank you Widmer for infiltration this one everywhere.

Nice easy drinking somewhat sweet and caramel tasting beer. Not your 'extreme' or 'DAMN' kind of beers, but a nice brew to drink when you just want to have a beer.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Can't exactly read the bottle date...bottled sometime mid-April. 18th, maybe.

Pours a dark amber color. Smallish off-white head dissipates quickly. Not much going on in the lacing department.

Boring, sweet nose. Sweet malts, sweet caramel. I guess there might be hops in there, but they're not making any effort to come out. Very inoffensive aroma. Not good, not bad.

Taste pretty much follows the nose. There aren't many discernable flavors. I guess you could spin that as excellent balance if you really wanted to. Sweet, like fruity sweet, and grainy. Really not much going on here. I'm probably being kind by calling it average.

Light bodied, a little on the watery side. Not difficult to drink, although not very pleasant either. One redeeming quality is that I could see this being a good gateway craft beer. After enjoying Widmer Drifter, I'm pretty disappointed by Drop Top.

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%

20 IBU, 4.85% ABV, OG=12.25 Plato. Brewed with Pale, Caramel 10L, Extra Special, Briess, and Honey malts. Hopped with Magnum and Simcoe.

Cool looking Widmer botle with the little emblazoned thumb spot. I've always liked Widmers bottles. They make you feel like you're latching onto something special. Pours out to a clear light honey-colored amber, forming a soapy modest off-white head with good retention and good lacing. The carbonation is moderate. The aroma is distinctly, and overwhelmingly cranberries and concentrated white grape juice. Quite unique...I wonder if it's a Pseudomonas infection, it's that strong:) Swirling makes the grape juice even more distinct. Above and beyond this, I smell nothing. If I concentrate *really* hard, maybe there is a touch of toast.. If somebody gave me this in a blind taste test, I would swear I was drinking Welch's Grape Juice from concentrate. Smells nothing like beer. Mouthfeel is quite average with a medium body. The taste? Grape juice that wants to taste like a beer. There is a slight smattering of hops in the tail end and a touch of toast in the middle...otherwise it's initially quite hard to tell. Bitterness is light to moderate and non-distinct with very real grape aftertaste.

So as you can tell, this is the "grapiest" beer I've ever had. Interesting, but a good beer does not this make. Despite this odd profile, it's drinkable but not something I would care to have again. I'd be interested in tasting this on tap, freshly brewed to see if it's a bottling problem or not. Recap: I just drank a Bridgeport Blackstrap Stout, and I'm still tasting the grapes! Goddamn, that's the meanest hooch I've ever tooted!

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%

A: for an amber this one is pretty pale. fluffy white head with a bit of carbonation. the color is really getting me here though. im having trouble believing this just poured from a bottle labeled amber.

S: sweet honey and crystal malts. definitely getting a gentle hop bitterness in there as well. each time i revisit this nose it changes from sweet and bitter. however each visit is on the subtle side.

T: a little sweetness changes moves right into the sweet category in my initial sip. hoppy towards the finish quickly gets overwhelmed once again by sweetness. the honey really lingers on the palate on the aftertaste. very distinctively honey.

M: fizzy carbonation that smooths out a little into the sip and works well with the body of the beer.

D: not what im used to in an amber, but like every american brew it is sometimes hard to put a style in a specific box. overall a drinkable brew with a touch of sweet and bitter.

3.02/5  rDev -10.1%

App. is clear burnt orange with thin off-white collar and very light lace at the top of the glass, a shaker pint.

Smell is pretty rich caramel malt and light peach esters.

Taste is fruitier then the aroma, more subdued and a little harsh.

The mouthfeel has a sharpness too it, although it's not really crisp.

Not too drinkable, I don't really like it that much and wouldn't want to have many of them. I guess this is pretty average micro red, but when they're so pedestrian, I really don't care for them.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

On tap at a shitty bar in Elko, NV. Bartender kept hyping how 'strong' the beer was. Whatever, its Elko, this is as primo as the beer scene gets.

Mahogany, maybe with a bit more red in it than pure mahogany color. Aroma was rich of caramel and other malts.

Taste was smooth, did seem to have a bit of a bitter and alcohol burn relative to its strength, despite what seemed like a honey or brown sugar presence that should be able to smooth that out.

3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Guinness branded tulip pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color with a pretty thick white head that has some staying power and leaves pretty heavy lacing.

Smell: Buttery sweetness, with some hints of corn.

Taste: Buttery sweetness throughout, with a slight bite from hops at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with balanced carbonation. Thin, watery finish.

Drinkability: This is an average amber ale. Nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing about it that makes it stand out.

Drop Top Amber from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company