Drop Top Amber - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Pale, Caramel 10L,
Extra Special, Honey Malt

hops:
Alchemy, Simcoe

(Beer added by: Zraly on 03-11-2003)
View: Beers (78) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drop Top Amber Alström Bros
Laklimell

03-17-2013 15:50:30 | More by JBetz
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.66/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

I have had a few beers from this brewing company, and have never been impressed. Even their special release beers are mediocre at best. Breweries like this have a place in craft beer, but should only serve as a starting point for people that haven't experienced craft beer. However, I am giving Drop Top another shot, and will drink this beer with an open mind. Hopefully it will have a better flavor than I remember and will do this review justice. Of course, PBR is also on our list. (PBR isn't a bad beer, to be honest. I would order that over a Miller or Coors Light.)

Oh, and Sheryl asked if I was going to "drop my top". Not sure that makes sense… but I will leave my shirt on for this review.

In the Glass: The beer has a nice orange color to it, and provided a thick head. A thicker head than I expected. The head quickly dissipates, but it was a lot thicker than I expected. The beer is also creating a nice lace in the glass. For $1.29, and coming from this brewing company, it is already starting to exceed my expectations. Hopefully it smells as good as it looks.

Nose: Didn't see that coming. Better yet, didn't smell that coming. At first I am hit with a ton of caramel aromas that quickly turn to wheat and earthy notes. The carmel smells like those little caramel candies that you can just suck on for hours on end. I will admit, I don't traditionally like ambers… but I don't remember my last amber smelling like this. If this tastes like carmel, I might go buy a case tomorrow!

Flavor: Considering what this smells like, I had some pretty high expectations for the flavor profile. It's good, but doesn't quite taste like it smells. Those same carmel notes are kicking in toward the end of the swallow, but it is a bit too carbonated for my liking. I would like to see a beer like this barrel aged. Why not? Every other brewing company is aging their beers in barrels. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, but I don't think a beer like this will do much as it heats up.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles here, and while some beers can get away with it, based on the aroma in this beer I expected it to be a tad bit thicker with less carbonation. The beer does produce a somewhat drying finish, but overall, this is a very basic beer. Cool name and I love the label… but I wouldn't order this out.

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. Those same caramel notes that I was smelling are back. They are not as pronounced as they were on the nose, but they are subtle and drying in the finish. The aftertaste is weak, and doesn't last long… but was enjoyable enough for me to finish my glass.

LIke I said, beers like this have a place in craft beer. That place just isn't in my cellar. I am glad that beers like this are on the list, as there are a lot of people that need to start with styles like this. Just because you are new to craft beer doesn't mean an IPA is right for you. Actually, if you are new to craft beer, DO NOT drink an IPA. Start light and work your way to the hoppier and darker beers. You'll thank me later as your palate grows to appreciating a good craft beer.

03-11-2013 21:51:40 | More by rickyleepotts
Resuin

03-08-2013 09:30:18 | More by Resuin
t0rin0

03-07-2013 12:28:32 | More by t0rin0
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A finger and a half of head on a clear, medium straw colored body.
The aroma is milled grain, hay and orange. NIce.
The flavor is smooth with a mild malt sweet and mild lemon bitterness.
The texture is soft with moderate carbonation.
It's tasty and sessionable.

02-17-2013 03:41:24 | More by Fatehunter
AnitaBrewski

02-10-2013 20:31:38 | More by AnitaBrewski
powdersoldier

02-09-2013 21:01:53 | More by powdersoldier
Pegasus

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Clear, golden-orange in color, with a modest white head, which fairly quickly fades to a scattering of foam. Fine-beaded lacing coats the glass walls, the carbonation is moderate.

Aroma: Mild caramel malt and some pine hops.

Taste: Begins with moderate sweet caramel notes, with a little toasted malt as well. The is a slight sweet note distinct from the caramel malt, perhaps the result of the lactose. Homemade bread notes are present throughout as well, yielding a pleasing sweetness. Moderate pine hops bring the taste to a balanced close.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A pleasant and inoffensive example, easy to drink, but not particularly memorable.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

01-02-2013 03:01:57 | More by Pegasus