1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drop Top Amber - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Pale, Caramel 10L,
Extra Special, Honey Malt

hops:
Alchemy, Simcoe

(Beer added by: Zraly on 03-11-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drop Top Amber Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a plastic cup (moving, all glasses packed). Freshness date of Feb. 3, 2009.

Copper in color, no head as poured.. nice small lacing.

Good smell, sweet malt, bit chewy w/ a masked hop bitterness.

Taste is quite smooth, but doesn't really stand out.. a few sour notes. Sweet caramel, bitter/sour hop and chewy grain.

Good sessional and easy to drink without being too malty sweet and syrupy.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Widmer Brothers is and has been a long time favorite brewery, all their beers are quite quaffable. On the pour a nice amber color, the head average in size, frothy in texture, the lace a fine covering sheet to seal off the glass. Nose is fresh and crisp, mostly malt and quite pleasant, start is sweet and loaded with malt, top is skinny in feel. Finish is acidic, nicely hopped and a droughty aftertaste, another fine drinking beer from a great brewery.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Clear, golden-orange in color, with a modest white head, which fairly quickly fades to a scattering of foam. Fine-beaded lacing coats the glass walls, the carbonation is moderate.

Aroma: Mild caramel malt and some pine hops.

Taste: Begins with moderate sweet caramel notes, with a little toasted malt as well. The is a slight sweet note distinct from the caramel malt, perhaps the result of the lactose. Homemade bread notes are present throughout as well, yielding a pleasing sweetness. Moderate pine hops bring the taste to a balanced close.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A pleasant and inoffensive example, easy to drink, but not particularly memorable.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Packaging is similar to the others, this one is orange label in color (ipa green, brr red, hefe yellow, etc, which i think is a good marketing direction).

A perfect introduction into craft beer. It's not wild, it's just good.

Fairly tame aroma. Some bready biscuit and caramel compliments overly pungent hops for an amber.

Getting a bit of dms in there, nothing terrible, but it's present. It's ever so drinkable and like i said to begin with, a perfect starter beer or fallback for a solid and enjoyable brew.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

I got this beer on tap at a place in Corpus Christi called the Surf Club.

The beer poured a nice orange color with a descent white head and nice lacing. The smell was of maltiness and a slight hint of hops The taste was of sweet toasted maltiness and hints of caramel and again a slight hint of hops. Mouthfeel was medium body with medium carbonation. Overall not a bad beer.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Today is one huge homage to my local trader, tone77, for whom I am deeply thankful. He keeps me in bottles when I would surround myself in CANs and gloss over everything else. Bottled beer CAN be as compelling as CANned beers but I tend to lose focus what with The CANQuest (TM).

I have a patch that reads: "Unless you have ridden/driven a motorcycle, you won't understand a dog's excitement." The label depicts this better than any Ralph Steadman Flying Dog label, you feel me, dog? Dog, the Bounty Hunter will be on soon. I am dog tired and it is time for the Dog Watch as I see sun dogs in the sky. Doggone, isn't there a review forthcoming?

I chose an aggro pour to develop just over a finger of dense, tawny head with good retention. The color was a deep orangish-amber, but not red enough to cause me slaver over it. The clarity was all that and a bag of Fritos, which I always have on-hand in case of munchies. Nose was far hoppier than I expected and my mouth began to water. Give thanks to the West Coast breweries who seem to have an abundance of hops and who are unafraid to use 'em. My first sip was of big malt, initially, followed by intense hoppiness and my tongue began to loll out of my mouth. "Let's ride," she said and I hopped on the back. I continued to really enjoy this beer, an easy sipper on a laid-back holiday in which I was doing more maintenance drinking than trying to get my fill. The finish was semi-sweet, which was just fine by me at this point. I have IPAs on-hand if I need 'em, but this was the right kind of mellow at the right time. I may start up some laundry to really enliven the day. Bottom line: if you are looking to kick start your day, this is not the beer. If you want a nice, mellow day with the dog, pop this open and go for a spin.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a very nice looking one finger head, almost completely off white, but not completely. The body is the perfect amber color, it's exactly what it should be. The body is a little see through, for sure not as cloudy as I would like, but it's an amber, so I guess it shouldn't be too cloudy. The head is pretty much gone now, so that kinda sucks. Overall not a bad looking beer, kinda standard though. When I first cracked open the bottle, I got a big wiff of hops, but now that I am smelling it out of the glass, I'm not getting much hops, in fact I'm not getting much of anything. You can for sure pick up on the malts, and a little bit of the hops, but the smell is just weak quite frankly. I'm also just a little upset that the malts are a fair amount more present than the hops, I like my amber beers to be very well balanced on the hops and the malts. It also smells very sweet, which is a little scary to me for an amber, oh well. Overall the smell is just ok. Well on the taste, the flavor is a little more balanced than I thought it would be, but not much, it's for sure more malts than hops, which isn't really acceptable to me in an amber ale. I know that amber ales aren't as hoppy as pale ales or IPA's, but in my opinion there shouldn't be more malts than hops, and there is here. We will see if more hops come out as the beer warms, hopefully they will. I also get that really sweet malty taste, I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's an all grain taste, but it's borderline. Overall I'm not impressed with the taste, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt and see if more hops come out later. The mouthfeel isn't terrible, this is by no means a watery beer, they didn't skimp out on ingredients, they just messed up the order in my opinion, but either way, there is enough stuff in here, therefore, there is probably going to be a good mouthfeel, and there is. Drinkability is ok, but that overly sweet maltyness makes it hard sometimes. Overall an ok beer, I remember liking it a lot more last time I had it, but this time the flavors were just too uneven for me.

Drop Top Amber from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company