Drop Top Amber - Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Pale, Caramel 10L,
Extra Special, Honey Malt

hops:
Alchemy, Simcoe
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Drop Top Amber Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -23.8%

Thanks go to Waldowin and Newbie BIF '05 for the sample!

This is a fairly bland and watery amber ale, not too impressed really. There really isn't anything overly horrible about it, just sort of boring honestly.

Pours a fairly standard medium amber in color with minimal head. Nose is rather bland, fairly fresh smelling overall, mildly hoppy. Taste isn't too exciting either, slightly bready with a mild hop profile, finish is rather weak/watery. Overall pretty uninspired and bland. Had no desire for another.

Slàinte!

2.61/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I thought I was on top of this, well....until I managed to drop. The taste is something that I have not experienced before. The head is snow white snow drift until you notice the subtle bits of pollen that have fallen from the tall pines above from the late winter weather. Smell happens to smell like some sort of beer, nothing special. Nothing there to tingle any of the senses from the nostrils. Tflavor is mixed, yet I could questions the tubes, but I can tell it was the brewery. I think this is overpriced for what its worth. There is nothing special here, just a mix of a batch of trickery. No need to waste more time on this one.

2.62/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours orange with what starts off as a nice head but quickly goes to nothing at all.. no lacing to speak of. Aroma has a slight sweetness to it but not much. Nothing offensive for the taste, but nothing flavorful either. For the style definitely needs a lot more bitterness to it, way too watery for my liking. Has a faint hop presence but enough by any means.... tastes like a red ale that's gotten into the hands of a BMC company.... oh wait, thats what it is! Nothing special here folks, a lot better of the style out there...

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The neck had a laser label of the brew date. The color was an orangish amber. It had a small that quickly disappeared with nothing after - no film, no lacing. The mouthfeel was watery and bland. The aroma was malty with no appealing characteristics. The taste was pretty bland and honestly not better than a Bud Light. It was overall a very bland macroish beer that screams mediocrity. Won't be looking for this again unless it's down this or Milwaukee's Best. It's not unpleasant to drink so I won't give it a 1 or 2 on drinkability but it's just not very flavorful. A throwaway beer. (2, NA, Tie, N)

2.66/5  rDev -22%

Draft @ The Dog. Pours a nice clear amber with very little head. The aroma is nasty, bitter apple with dirty sock. The taste is sharp and acidic, like the bitter apple that fell in the tanks. The honey malt makes the aftertaste pretty nasty. Never again.

2.7/5  rDev -20.8%

Reviewed 7/10/2008 (bottle dated MAY2708):

Pours an amber reddish color body, clearish. Whitish creamy head, small. Malty, almost spicy aroma. Not nutty, but almost wheaty or something. Malty somewhat sweet taste. Clean aftertaste. Some fizziness. Kinda bland.

2.73/5  rDev -19.9%

Widmer is not a brewery I go out of my way to buy, but the occasion recently called for an easy drinking, non adventurous beer for a group. Drop Top was on sale, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Pours a rich amber color, not much of a white cap that fades quickly, leaving no lace.

Not much going on in the aroma department. Some doughy malts, maybe just a touch of grassy hops. Nothing offensive, but nothing that stands out, either.

Flavors are the same story. Dilute bread dough malts, some sweetness, but at least they didn't go overboard with that. Very little discernible hops, mild bittering. Body is light to medium, which fits the light flavors.

It seems like Widmer's goal is to tame down beer styles and make transition beers... nothing I've had from their common store beers is going to excite a beer geek, but they're probably a safe choice when you're trying to get your Bud Light drinking friend to branch out. Too bad it doesn't come at a lower price point, most comparable craft brewed ambers are a better choice.

2.73/5  rDev -19.9%

A- 2 finger fluffy white head with great retent, clear amber brew, milky lacing

S- caramel, citric, toasted malts, and toffee

T- toasted grains, earthy and herbal hop, caramel, earthy/grainy finish

M- smooth into a coarse medium body, dry finish

D- decent amber thats balanced, but boring

2.74/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

I have had a few beers from this brewing company, and have never been impressed. Even their special release beers are mediocre at best. Breweries like this have a place in craft beer, but should only serve as a starting point for people that haven't experienced craft beer. However, I am giving Drop Top another shot, and will drink this beer with an open mind. Hopefully it will have a better flavor than I remember and will do this review justice. Of course, PBR is also on our list. (PBR isn't a bad beer, to be honest. I would order that over a Miller or Coors Light.)

Oh, and Sheryl asked if I was going to "drop my top". Not sure that makes sense… but I will leave my shirt on for this review.

In the Glass: The beer has a nice orange color to it, and provided a thick head. A thicker head than I expected. The head quickly dissipates, but it was a lot thicker than I expected. The beer is also creating a nice lace in the glass. For $1.29, and coming from this brewing company, it is already starting to exceed my expectations. Hopefully it smells as good as it looks.

Nose: Didn't see that coming. Better yet, didn't smell that coming. At first I am hit with a ton of caramel aromas that quickly turn to wheat and earthy notes. The carmel smells like those little caramel candies that you can just suck on for hours on end. I will admit, I don't traditionally like ambers… but I don't remember my last amber smelling like this. If this tastes like carmel, I might go buy a case tomorrow!

Flavor: Considering what this smells like, I had some pretty high expectations for the flavor profile. It's good, but doesn't quite taste like it smells. Those same carmel notes are kicking in toward the end of the swallow, but it is a bit too carbonated for my liking. I would like to see a beer like this barrel aged. Why not? Every other brewing company is aging their beers in barrels. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, but I don't think a beer like this will do much as it heats up.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles here, and while some beers can get away with it, based on the aroma in this beer I expected it to be a tad bit thicker with less carbonation. The beer does produce a somewhat drying finish, but overall, this is a very basic beer. Cool name and I love the label… but I wouldn't order this out.

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. Those same caramel notes that I was smelling are back. They are not as pronounced as they were on the nose, but they are subtle and drying in the finish. The aftertaste is weak, and doesn't last long… but was enjoyable enough for me to finish my glass.

LIke I said, beers like this have a place in craft beer. That place just isn't in my cellar. I am glad that beers like this are on the list, as there are a lot of people that need to start with styles like this. Just because you are new to craft beer doesn't mean an IPA is right for you. Actually, if you are new to craft beer, DO NOT drink an IPA. Start light and work your way to the hoppier and darker beers. You'll thank me later as your palate grows to appreciating a good craft beer.

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance - this pours orange-amber with a one-finger white head. It practically has no retention that I witnessed. There is light lacing.

Smell - The nose is malty and not much else.

Taste - Light citrus and somewhat grainy. Fruity-hop flavors help the lackluster taste.

Mouthfeel - this one is watery and light.

Drinkablilty - Very little interests me in this beer, and I could scarcely finish it. This is not interesting for an American Amber Ale.

2.79/5  rDev -18.2%

A- light amber with a very light tan head that laces the glass nicely.

S- very little aroma but what is there seems to be balanced very well between malt and hops.

T- sweet malt flavor with a floral/fruity hop flavor. It almost tastes like it is hopped more for a pale ale than an amber ale and between the hops and malt it is too sweet. The two don't work together like they should.

M- very good level of carbonation for the style.

D- average, nothing I would run to the store for.

2.8/5  rDev -17.9%

This amber colored beer has an average looking beige head. The nose is a bit light with some grainy malts and slightly bitter hops. The taste is more of the same. Nothing too exciting with this ale. A light to medium body body goes down smooth. A drinkable brew, but nothing special.

2.83/5  rDev -17%

I ordered this beer in a restaurant, served in a tall (22 oz) pilsner glass.

It has a medium nut brown color, minimal head, thin and white not foamy. A little lacing on the glass.

There is not much smell, and what little aroma there is, is generally unremarkable.

The taste is light, slightly bitter. It is hoppy with a faint malt flavor. The aftertaste is short-lived and slightly bitter. Nothing special. .

This is a slightly more robust and flavorful version of a macro beer. It’s drinkable but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Drinking from a large pilsner glass, the flavor, head and lacing were better at the narrow bottom of the glass.

2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

Widmer- Drop Top Amber

A- Flat looking light reddish copper with a quick fizzy head.
S- Very faint sweet malt. Slight licorice touch.
T- Again very faint/ watery. Mild sweet malt, licorice/ molasses, and grassy earthy hops.
M- Thin and watery with a sweet malty body and a decent dry earty hop bite in the back end.

Overall- Bland and lifeless. Drinkable but not worth it.

2.86/5  rDev -16.1%

Unremarkable. It looks nice: decent nut-brown head and a colorful amber body. However, the nose is sweet and full of hay, the taste overpoweringly sweet, with a hint of hops and metal at the end. Mouthfeel is thin. Drinkability average. I won't purchase this again, especially if I am in the mood for an American Amber that has some hops you can feel deep down in your soul. This stuff was just too sweet to be refreshing, and lacked any real memorable character.

2.87/5  rDev -15.8%

A - Decent color

S - Little light on the caramel and honey and too strong on the hops

T - Same with smell, but hops after taste was not balanced. Too much hops for an amber ale.

M - Too light on the carbonation and after taste was metalic.

D - Could drink one easily, but that's it.

Buy again? - No
Recommend? - No
Drink if offerered - maybe, if I was already tipsy.

Overall - Not what I expected from an amber ale. too little on caramel, too strong on hops, with not enough carbonation

2.88/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Bottled on June 25, 2009. Single purchased from a broken six-pack at local grocer for $1.00, or $5.99 a sixer on sale.

A-Pours a light amber with a one finger light tan head, which receded into a scant lacing.

S-Faint floral hops and a mild caramel malt aroma.

T-What taste? It looked like beer. It even smelled like beer, but I couldn't discern much taste. And what little that was there was slightly bitter.

M-This was about all this beer had going for it. But, this is lost when taste is lacking. Very smooth, well carbonated. This beer just begs to have flavor. Odd.

D-No thanks. My second beer from this seemingly popular, but mediocre craft brewery. Glad I tried it while on sale.

2.88/5  rDev -15.5%

Thanks to mmmmBEEEER for the bottle. This beer is a pale orange-amber color with a medium thin and bubbly off-white head that dissipates quickly. Spotty lacing on the glass. Mild malt aroma with underlying hops. Medium-bodied yet watery at times, with caramel malt, nut and light hops flavors. The finish is sweet and malty and short-lived, leaving just a hint of hops aftertaste. Yawn.

2.9/5  rDev -15%

2.91/5  rDev -14.7%

A= pale amber to an almost copper color with a little head that holds great lacing along the glass
S= toasted malts all the way with some carmel smells coming in making this beer smell very sweet
T= SWEET! Wow I've never had a beer this sweet. The toasted malt and carmel were all I got. No hop bitterness or anything else. It was almost candy like.
M= sticky as hell, chewy and smooth...
D= average but its so damn sweet. It almost tasted like a wort it was so sweet. The sweetness would turn me off after a little while and prolly give me a sugar belly, good thing I only had one.

2.92/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance
Medium amber color with carbonation bubbles galore! They cling to the glass oddly like a soda. One inch head, which required a semi-aggressive pour, levels out to a thin film quickly; hazy; no lacing

Smell
Pretty mild, but picking up some sweetness—caramel and apricot

Taste
Good initial hop bite that fades quickly and is replaced with a caramel sweetness; very little aftertaste; fairly weak malt profile; the hops define the character of this beer, which is odd; some light and tart fruitiness, similar to peach or apricot

Overall
It's a tasty beer, a bit on the weak side, but not quite what I expect for an amber ale. The hops, while I enjoy them, define the beer more than the caramel malts. It's a bit too thin for me.

2.92/5  rDev -14.4%

Nice medium amber hue with white head that disappears fast. Smell of slightly more hops than malt and a touch of sweetness as it warms. Bright, lively inviting smell, similar to an IPA. Taste is smooth, creamy, and very muted malt and hoppy flavors, with only a tiny bit of bitterness. Finish is quick and mild. Overall, a very easy to drink watery amber without much depth or flavor. Just ok.

2.93/5  rDev -14.1%

i got this beer at the 7-11, opting not to choose the old pbr standard. i wasn't incredibly impressed, but it ain't bad.

poured into a speakeasy pint glass.

A - rich, pink-amber color with a very pale 1 inch head. pretty much completely transparent. the head sunk quickly and left minimal to no lacing. lots of visible carbonation.

S - i couldn't really get much out of the smell, but i'm not one known for keen olfaction. i picked up some fruity and woody hops, but not much else

T - starts off somewhat watery, but as the carbonation started to burn my tongue, i got some notes of citrus. the malt is there too. mildly bitter, hops finish.

M - again, starts off a bit watery, a thin mouthfeel, but after the swollow, it lingers, coating the back of my tongue. i'd rather more consistancy here.

D - i'd have this again, but if i'm back at the 7-11 soon, i may opt for another beer of the same price range.

Drop Top Amber from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company